Penny

SanDiego49er

Reaction score
Hawkpower":q2z8z87o said:
therealjohncarlson":q2z8z87o said:
I think people (including me) partly just hate the way he runs the ball regardless of if it produces yards. On one specific run he got a few yards, maybe 5 yards, but the way he just crumbled to the ground on initial contact made me shake my head. For a bigger running back he doesn’t seem to usually have the ability to run through contact. He folds like paper. It’s counter to how Pete wants his team to play and appear to the opposition.

IMO this glide and go down running style is why we haven’t seen more of penny.

Like when he stiff armed and knocked down a defender at the 10 yard line like a savage yesterday on his way into the endzone? :D He also burrowed his head and got some tough yards a few other times as well.

There have been times, especially last year where you are 100% right.

Don't know if we've seen enough (especially after yesterday) this year to continue this particular narrative though. Who knows, maybe he's learning from Carson!

Penny can and will break tackles and be physical. But he is not the same running style of Carson. Carson is a banger. He will lower his head and bulldoze with 2 - 3 guys on his back for extra yards. Penny is indeed more of a run to open space guy. But when and if he does get that open space he can take it all the way to the endzone as you have seen in this past game. He can score from anywhere on the field. That is rare for 220 lb.+ guys to have that type of breakaway speed. Now that's not to say he can't break a tackle or two. He can and will and I've seen him do it over the years. But he is best in space using his speed. The combination of the two that you have is just fine. You have thunder (Carson) and lightning (Penny). There is nothing wrong with that for an NFL team.

kf3339

Reaction score
SanDiego49er":9u5chmry said:
kf3339":9u5chmry said:
As much as you have to love how Carson plays the game, I really want Penny to be what the team envisioned for him when he was drafted. Perhaps it was the weight issue, speed of the NFL game or just that he didn't take it seriously I don't know. But I do think that being nearly traded and sitting the pine might have woke him up to the reality of his situation.

This is not college and he may be ready now to take a starting spot from Carson at some point the rest of this season. Will it equate into him being the guy next season, I don't know. But I do think Carson is having real trouble with his fumbling issue and it may never get cleared up going forward. That is a shame as he is a hard worker. But turnovers kill a game plan and he is not helping his case.

Penny is lightning quick and long speed fast if he keeps his weight in check. 225 lbs. is ideal for him. I'd still like to see him lose some more. 238 lbs. is crazy for him and way too high. 230 lbs. where he is now is still a little too high. He needs to come down. He played at San Diego State Aztecs between 220 lbs. - 228 lbs. He can be even faster than what you see now. I've seen a faster Penny than this. But he is getting there. I'm glad to see he has a nutritionist now and is taking this seriously. He never had a weight problem at San Diego State BTW. So this is rather surprising to me. But I'm glad he is addressing it.

I saw him in college as well (Fresno State Alum) so I know what he is capable of doing as well! Yes, he may have initially let the life of a 1st round NFL player get to his head and not take the opportunity in the right manner. Getting his weight in check and eating properly should be his goal now and for his future. I am glad he seems to have gotten it at this point in time.

Hope he keeps it up!

Largent80

Reaction score
As a 9er fan this is your WORST nightmare. @ killer running backs and an MVP QB....Not to mention pro bowl WR's, Sucks to be you trying to defend it. Not only that but our defense has woken up....Oooops, buh-bye 9ers.

quadsas

Reaction score
Largent80":1hvayybp said:
As a 9er fan this is your WORST nightmare. @ killer running backs and an MVP QB....Not to mention pro bowl WR's, Sucks to be you trying to defend it. Not only that but our defense has woken up....Oooops, buh-bye 9ers.

Seriously take a break, you're mental..

Also anyone who knows anything about football has blocked everyone who has mentioned YPC as that's about as good as PPG stat in basketball is. Pretty useless

xray

Reaction score
Shave about 15 lbs of fat off that chubby ; and he might be something . Carson has got the " yips " about the fumble . Penny is next man up...so show your chit young man :!: :0190l:

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Mad Dog":3mcdlmzx said:
DomeHawk":3mcdlmzx said:
Hawkpower":3mcdlmzx said:
mikeak":3mcdlmzx said:
I never seen so much love for a guy that has accomplished so little...

Not really his fault he isnt used more often.

6 yards per carry after getting 5 ypc last year. He produces when given the opportunity.

The guy has demonstrated he deserves more touches.

The 6 ypc is a bit of a skewed stat. He has had some long carries that bring that stat up. Mostly, he goes nowhere.

Having said that, I think he can be a workable backup for now.

So you are saying that Barry Sanders shouldn't be in the hall of fame?

Some backs are boom or bust runners like Sanders, Chris Johnson, Jamaal Charles. Some backs are physical slashers like Carson, Lynch, Earl Campbell. They all are good in different ways. You get more from nothing with the physical guys but you get home runs from the boom or bust types.
I like how you explained the type runners there are..
Barry(my favorite)had to run when he was the offense behind pretty bad lines.
Topic:I think Penny has the power but he's never had to use it.
I think we are seeing signs that he's learning.I loved the reverse
shake off on the last guy during that big run..He flinged him off
like nothing.

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
It was awesome to see Rashaad bring it yesterday. He gutted an elite run stuffing D. The shoulder lean he gave Ronald Darby was reminiscent of Lynch's stiff arm to Tracy Porter in terms of how easily the defenders just bounced right off them.

I hope Pete will finally stick to what he says regarding the RB position and gets Penny more touches going forward. It's no coincidence that Penny's monster games all involve him getting 10+ carries.

I swear, some here are so desperate to find a true Lynch clone. Yes, we were absolutely spoiled to have him. But Carson isn't Lynch, no matter how many here want him to be or think he is. Their games are very similar, yes. But there's a big difference. Lynch showed the ability to house it more than a few times. Carson has not.

Look, I love Carson's grit and toughness, but it's time to give Penny a bigger role. The fumbling issues clearly have worsened. What would Holmgren do? He'd bench him to prove the point. Carson needs to learn and improvd

It's funny how the ones hating on Penny here at seahawks.net have either not chimed in on this thread yet or are still tearing him apart. Funny how that works. The Penny fumble thread during the gameday thread was insane, too. His first career fumble. Nay, the first time he'd actually put the ball in the ground. Crazy how done here also yearned for the team to bring back Mike Davis after he was cut from Chicago. CHICAGO. One of the worst offenses and running games in the league. Mike Davis is JAG in the flesh. And everyone bashing Penny for his weight are completely ignorant to how chunky big Mike was and still is. Check out his IG once in awhile and you'll see his snack food habits.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Hawkpower":17prhahd said:
mikeak":17prhahd said:
justafan":17prhahd said:
I dont think I have seen this much hate for a player that really hasnt done anything wrong. So he hasnt taken more snaps from Carson, thats the only problem I see. But we are talking about a top 10 back in the league.

As far as his mistakes, everyone had those today. The whole offense was out of sorts.

6 yards per carry after getting 5 ypc last year. He produces when given the opportunity.

To be honest, the fewer the carries, the better the stats; In other words, those stats are entry level, the more he carries, the more he's going to get stuffed, and those 6 yards per carry average, would be diluted.
Penny doesn't pound the ball for HARD YARDS like Carson does, and that matters to Pete Carroll.
Marshawn Lynch "BEASTED" a plethora of hard earned yards, while Shawn Alexander did everything he could to avoid contact.
The Beast didn't have the likes of Walter Jones & Steve Hutchenson (All World O-Linemen) to b*tch slap Defenses like Shawn Alexander did.
I believe that if young Penny can learn how to move piles just a little better, I think he would be a more complete RB, but until then, I believe that Pete is more apt to giving Carson the lions share.....If nothing else, Pete wants Carson to wear down the Defenses, and then turn Penny loose to finish them off.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
scutterhawk":1qnji11m said:
Hawkpower":1qnji11m said:
mikeak":1qnji11m said:
justafan":1qnji11m said:
I dont think I have seen this much hate for a player that really hasnt done anything wrong. So he hasnt taken more snaps from Carson, thats the only problem I see. But we are talking about a top 10 back in the league.

As far as his mistakes, everyone had those today. The whole offense was out of sorts.

To be honest, the fewer the carries, the better the stats; In other words, those stats are entry level, the more he carries, the more he's going to get stuffed, and those 6 yards per carry average, would be diluted.
Penny doesn't pound the ball for HARD YARDS like Carson does, and that matters to Pete Carroll.
Marshawn Lynch "BEASTED" a plethora of hard earned yards, while Shawn Alexander did everything he could to avoid contact.
The Beast didn't have the likes of Walter Jones & Steve Hutchenson (All World O-Linemen) to b*tch slap Defenses like Shawn Alexander did.
I believe that if young Penny can learn how to move piles just a little better, I think he would be a more complete RB, but until then, I believe that Pete is more apt to giving Carson the lions share.....If nothing else, Pete wants Carson to wear down the Defenses, and then turn Penny loose to finish them off.

Id take the guy averaging 1.7ypc more, without fumbling issues, and with homerun speed but that’s me.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Thepeelsessions":mhsjaaho said:
It was awesome to see Rashaad bring it yesterday. He gutted an elite run stuffing D. The shoulder lean he gave Ronald Darby was reminiscent of Lynch's stiff arm to Tracy Porter in terms of how easily the defenders just bounced right off them.

I hope Pete will finally stick to what he says regarding the RB position and gets Penny more touches going forward. It's no coincidence that Penny's monster games all involve him getting 10+ carries.

I swear, some here are so desperate to find a true Lynch clone. Yes, we were absolutely spoiled to have him. But Carson isn't Lynch, no matter how many here want him to be or think he is. Their games are very similar, yes. But there's a big difference. Lynch showed the ability to house it more than a few times. Carson has not.

Look, I love Carson's grit and toughness, but it's time to give Penny a bigger role. The fumbling issues clearly have worsened. What would Holmgren do? He'd bench him to prove the point. Carson needs to learn and improvd

It's funny how the ones hating on Penny here at seahawks.net have either not chimed in on this thread yet or are still tearing him apart. Funny how that works. The Penny fumble thread during the gameday thread was insane, too. His first career fumble. Nay, the first time he'd actually put the ball in the ground. Crazy how done here also yearned for the team to bring back Mike Davis after he was cut from Chicago. CHICAGO. One of the worst offenses and running games in the league. Mike Davis is JAG in the flesh. And everyone bashing Penny for his weight are completely ignorant to how chunky big Mike was and still is. Check out his IG once in awhile and you'll see his snack food habits.

Great post here! The only thing that upsets me is Pete says “always compete” but it’s evident he doesn’t 100% live by it. Next week I’m sure he will give Carson 20+ carries, Penny 5 carries, and then make some lame game script excuse. Bottom line for me is Pete has his pets on the team that can’t be touched. Carson is one of those. Carson is fumbling at a historic rate and Pete isn’t phased. Pete likes Carson because he beat the drum to draft him in the 7th so it’s his diamond in the rough. Unfortunately we are wasting Penny’s talents. He needs to be getting 15+ carries a game with Carson as a change of pace short yardage guy. Carson is just a guy. We need homerun threats and not a guy who breaks 5 tackles for a 3 yard gain and fumbles at least once a game.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
scutterhawk":1lay1vfe said:
Hawkpower":1lay1vfe said:
mikeak":1lay1vfe said:
justafan":1lay1vfe said:

Yet Shaun Alexander has the Seahawk season record for the most rushing yards and to boot he has the #2 total in that category. He also had 6 straight seasons of 1000+ yards. He also won a NFL MVP. Lynch had none of these things. Lynch was a great Seahawk rb in his own right too.

We get it you don't like Shaun's and Penny's running style. I'm glad both were and currently are Seahawks. I'm mighty proud of each of their accomplishments. Looking forward to seeing more of Penny as the years move forward. The better he plays, the better for the team as whole.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Thepeelsessions":289xs9fa said:

And yet, Marshawn Lynch wasn't as TD "money" as Shawn Alexander in the Red Zone.
Aside from Duane Brown Our Offensive Line is nowhere near nasty enough to block for Penny, not like the 2004-2005 Offensive line that Bulldozed Defenses for Alexander.
Penny (like Alexander) is/was a "Finesse" Back, Carson (like Lynch) pounds the rock....Two completely different style of RB's....Carson got us there, so I wouldn't expect that Pete will just kick him to the curb.
Like I said in another post, I think Pete wants to wear down Defenses with Carson, and then bring in a pair of fresh legs to finish them off.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":16rreo63 said:
Penny dominates and people come here to bash him.....lol
Penny hasn't yet showed that he can pound out the hard yards, LIKE CARSON HAS, this O-Line cannot block for a "Finesse" Back, the "Hard Yards" are in Carson's wheelhouse, Penny has only pushed ONE PILE in two years, & that ain't going to cut it for Pete.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
scutterhawk":2zrfcyo2 said:
ImTheScientist":2zrfcyo2 said:
Penny dominates and people come here to bash him.....lol
Penny hasn't yet showed that he can pound out the hard yards, LIKE CARSON HAS, this O-Line cannot block for a "Finesse" Back, the "Hard Yards" are in Carson's wheelhouse, Penny has only pushed ONE PILE in two years, & that ain't going to cut it for Pete.

Why gain 2 yards when you house it from 58. The pound the hard yards narrative is a pointless argument. He is averaging 5.9ypc this year and 5.3ypc for his career. Just put Carson in that role if that’s your issue. Carson would do just fine as our short yardage back. It’s actually perfect since Carson lacks the speed to score from far out.

Fade

Reaction score
I think Carson has been overworked, and there was no way he would be able to continue that workload.

That is a major factor in why Penny got so many carries in the last game. To lighten Carson's load. It turns out Penny has a little pep in his step, and the Seahawks are going to unleash Penny down the stretch.

#Free Penny

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
scutterhawk":2ojy2f9s said:
Thepeelsessions":2ojy2f9s said:

And yet, Marshawn Lynch wasn't as TD "money" as Shawn Alexander in the Red Zone.
Aside from Duane Brown Our Offensive Line is nowhere near nasty enough to block for Penny, not like the 2004-2005 Offensive line that Bulldozed Defenses for Alexander.
Penny (like Alexander) is/was a "Finesse" Back, Carson (like Lynch) pounds the rock....Two completely different style of RB's....Carson got us there, so I wouldn't expect that Pete will just kick him to the curb.
Like I said in another post, I think Pete wants to wear down Defenses with Carson, and then bring in a pair of fresh legs to finish them off.

Penny is averaging 5.9ypc behind our line this year and 5.3ypc when you put his last 2 years together. What are you even talking about? Lol.

Are you expecting 7ypc behind a decent line? I don’t understand your argument. Making someone miss is making them miss. Does it matter if you make them grab air or you run them over? It’s like you want to ignore the actual data. If you say things enough maybe it will convince someone. I deal in facts.

chris98251

Reaction score
Penny is more Chris Warren then Shaun Alexander just as Carson is more Curt Warner, that leg pumping and hitting and then a gap and gone for 20 yards or so.

Lynch was a Generational type back with the personality the toughness and the production and doing it with mostly lousy lines.

Alexander behind a line like we have had here since Carroll came in mostly would never accomplish what he had.

Why I like the Warner and Warren comparisons more, those teams had flaws that relied on those two running backs to overcome and produce still.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Penny’s 5.9ypc is the most of any RB in the NFL with over 50 carries. Get him the damn ball.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":186ic8m6 said:
scutterhawk":186ic8m6 said:
Thepeelsessions":186ic8m6 said:

Penny is averaging 5.9ypc behind our line this year and 5.3ypc when you put his last 2 years together. What are you even talking about? Lol.

Are you expecting 7ypc behind a decent line? I don’t understand your argument. Making someone miss is making them miss. Does it matter if you make them grab air or you run them over? It’s like you want to ignore the actual data. If you say things enough maybe it will convince someone. I deal in facts.
On the flipside they've ran him using a small select group of plays that are meant to cater to his strengths. There also isn't a whole lot of tape on Penny. His YPC numbers are inflated. It reminds me of how Felix Jones lead the league in YPC several times. YPC is a very bad metric, especially with such a small sample size. In order to be a bell cow RB he'll need to show that he can run the whole playbook. If stretches, pitches, and counters are all he's able to do he won't succeed. That is the only skillset of his that he has been able to demonstrate consistency on. Furthermore he doesn't seem to have a firm grasp of the playbook.

These reasons among showing up overweight, and under prepared are the reason why Carson has been starting over Penny. Despite last game, I'm still not sold on him. I'm confident that he'd fall flat on his face if he was the bellcow RB with his current skill set. Will he change? Yes he can change, but I think it will take a solid offseason of putting work in for him to develop his skillset.