Penny

bmorepunk

Reaction score
justafan":2tlvum6q said:
bmorepunk":2tlvum6q said:
The b!@ch over Penny is kind of absurd.

I don't understand people who are either absolutely in love or really dislike him as a player. How did you guys get like this?

So we should be luke warm as fans?

Im excited to see him carry the load yesterday and be a big part of the reason we won. I am excited that we have someone who can replace Carson if something were to happen.
Im a fan because he is a Seahawk.

I'm glad he did a good job yesterday, and I'm glad he does well. And I don't get too down when he doesn't. So you should definitely enjoy it.

This sort of thing started when he was drafted. There's a lot of polarization on the lines of "he's a reach/will be a bust" or "he's going to be amazing". But people are waiting on the sidelines to jump in and harass other people over Penny's latest performance. If it's in good fun, then whatever. But some people really come across as being actually personally invested in a way that seems unhealthy, as if they have something actually on the line.

It just seems like a really weird thing to actually fight over; when it comes down to it he's just another dude that got drafted that may or may not pan out long term.

D

DomeHawk

Hawkpower":23lxhhq3 said:
mikeak":23lxhhq3 said:
justafan":23lxhhq3 said:
I dont think I have seen this much hate for a player that really hasnt done anything wrong. So he hasnt taken more snaps from Carson, thats the only problem I see. But we are talking about a top 10 back in the league.

As far as his mistakes, everyone had those today. The whole offense was out of sorts.

I never seen so much love for a guy that has accomplished so little...

Not really his fault he isnt used more often.

6 yards per carry after getting 5 ypc last year. He produces when given the opportunity.

The guy has demonstrated he deserves more touches.

The 6 ypc is a bit of a skewed stat. He has had some long carries that bring that stat up. Mostly, he goes nowhere.

Having said that, I think he can be a workable backup for now.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
DomeHawk":3mk5xuep said:
Hawkpower":3mk5xuep said:
mikeak":3mk5xuep said:
justafan":3mk5xuep said:
I dont think I have seen this much hate for a player that really hasnt done anything wrong. So he hasnt taken more snaps from Carson, thats the only problem I see. But we are talking about a top 10 back in the league.

As far as his mistakes, everyone had those today. The whole offense was out of sorts.

6 yards per carry after getting 5 ypc last year. He produces when given the opportunity.

The 6 ypc is a bit of a skewed stat. He has had some long carries that bring that stat up. Mostly, he goes nowhere.

I agree that 6 ypc can be skewed, although its an impressive number regardless. You can't throw out the big runs as meaningless when they win a game for you like they did yesterday. Having that quick strike potential is gold for NFL teams. Game changers.

Our "workable" backup just dropped 130 yards and 9ypc yesterday on a stout defense...on the road. Boy do we have an embarrassment of riches :D

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
I think people (including me) partly just hate the way he runs the ball regardless of if it produces yards. On one specific run he got a few yards, maybe 5 yards, but the way he just crumbled to the ground on initial contact made me shake my head. For a bigger running back he doesn’t seem to usually have the ability to run through contact. He folds like paper. It’s counter to how Pete wants his team to play and appear to the opposition.

IMO this glide and go down running style is why we haven’t seen more of penny.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":294c8hp5 said:
I think people (including me) partly just hate the way he runs the ball regardless of if it produces yards. On one specific run he got a few yards, maybe 5 yards, but the way he just crumbled to the ground on initial contact made me shake my head. For a bigger running back he doesn’t seem to usually have the ability to run through contact. He folds like paper. It’s counter to how Pete wants his team to play and appear to the opposition.

IMO this glide and go down running style is why we haven’t seen more of penny.

Like when he stiff armed and knocked down a defender at the 10 yard line like a savage yesterday on his way into the endzone? :D He also burrowed his head and got some tough yards a few other times as well.

There have been times, especially last year where you are 100% right.

Don't know if we've seen enough (especially after yesterday) this year to continue this particular narrative though. Who knows, maybe he's learning from Carson!

massari

Reaction score
He had his breakout performance last season against the Rams, remember?
[tweet]https://twitter.com/NFL/status/1062114249021898752[/tweet]

Stoked to see what he can do with the recent weight loss because he does look faster now which probably explains why the Seahawks were rumored to turn down an early/mid 3rd from the Lions.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Not me.

As soon as my RB is contained by tacklers, I want him going down.

Fighting for yards is how Rawls got hurt. It is how Carson got a lot of his fumbles. It gets you a measely one yard most of the time at a physical cost and with much more risk.

I am tired of losing RBs because they are fighting for yards and get hurt. It happened to Carson and Rawls, though we got Carson back.

When 2 guys have you, go down.

Penny isn't supposed to fight for yards. That isn't his game. He is to avoid the tacklers, find a crease and go - or beat them to the outside and get yards up the sideline.

He isn't Lynch and won't be. Him going down when he is tackled is just fine with me. Unless we need that 1 yd on a 3rd and 1, in which case he shouldn't get getting the ball anyway. (He does have the size and speed to push for that 1-2 if need be but that feels like a Carson carry situation not a Penny either way.)

kf3339

Reaction score
As much as you have to love how Carson plays the game, I really want Penny to be what the team envisioned for him when he was drafted. Perhaps it was the weight issue, speed of the NFL game or just that he didn't take it seriously I don't know. But I do think that being nearly traded and sitting the pine might have woke him up to the reality of his situation.

This is not college and he may be ready now to take a starting spot from Carson at some point the rest of this season. Will it equate into him being the guy next season, I don't know. But I do think Carson is having real trouble with his fumbling issue and it may never get cleared up going forward. That is a shame as he is a hard worker. But turnovers kill a game plan and he is not helping his case.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
I would argue Carson has won more games than his fumbles have cost us.

He gets 5 when anyone else would struggle for 2.

But it only works if we use what he can do for us. I don't need to tear down Carson to make Penny worthwhile. We need Carson productive on this team for us to be successful.

Turnovers hurt, but so do multiple 3 and outs. Carson keeps the 3 and outs to a minimum. He keeps our defense rested and he gets first downs.

Getting rid of Carson, even with the fumbling issues, would be short-sighted. But there is no reason Penny cannot be a key part of reducing the risk by getting more touches near our goal line instead of Carson.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
DomeHawk":xgs46khr said:
Hawkpower":xgs46khr said:
mikeak":xgs46khr said:
justafan":xgs46khr said:

So you are saying that Barry Sanders shouldn't be in the hall of fame?

Some backs are boom or bust runners like Sanders, Chris Johnson, Jamaal Charles. Some backs are physical slashers like Carson, Lynch, Earl Campbell. They all are good in different ways. You get more from nothing with the physical guys but you get home runs from the boom or bust types.

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":13up6e90 said:
Penny dominates and people come here to bash him.....lol

To be fair this thread was made as a “nah nah nah finger wag in front of people’s faces” what did you expect to happen with a thread like that?

Largent80

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":3pyten4q said:
ImTheScientist":3pyten4q said:

To be fair this thread was made as a “nah nah nah finger wag in front of people’s faces” what did you expect to happen with a thread like that?

OK, How's John Carlson doin?...What a flameout he was.

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
Largent80":31x8dnp8 said:
therealjohncarlson":31x8dnp8 said:
ImTheScientist":31x8dnp8 said:

Agreed, obviously. Is that supposed to be piss me off or something ?

Largent80

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":1tm906vk said:
Largent80":1tm906vk said:
therealjohncarlson":1tm906vk said:
ImTheScientist":1tm906vk said:

Agreed, obviously. Is that supposed to be piss me off or something ?

No, it's like you seem to think Penny is a pile. But your boy started out like a house on fire yet ended up like a candle in the wind.

SanDiego49er

Reaction score
Mad Dog":2dow8aaz said:
DomeHawk":2dow8aaz said:
Hawkpower":2dow8aaz said:
mikeak":2dow8aaz said:

Some backs are boom or bust runners like Sanders, Chris Johnson, Jamaal Charles. Some backs are physical slashers like Carson, Lynch, Earl Campbell. They all are good in different ways. You get more from nothing with the physical guys but you get home runs from the boom or bust types.

That's the kind of back Penny is for the most part. He will give you some average plays once in a while. But he can take it to the house from anywhere on the field. So you have to keep feeding him. Because you never know when his big break out long run plays are coming. They are just different backs. Carson is a banger for short to medium yardage in heavy traffic and breaking tackles. Penny will run in open space sometimes all the way to the endzone. You have thunder (Carson) and lightning (Penny). There is really nothing wrong with that. That is useful for an NFL team.

SanDiego49er

Reaction score
kf3339":1zfjddaa said:
As much as you have to love how Carson plays the game, I really want Penny to be what the team envisioned for him when he was drafted. Perhaps it was the weight issue, speed of the NFL game or just that he didn't take it seriously I don't know. But I do think that being nearly traded and sitting the pine might have woke him up to the reality of his situation.

This is not college and he may be ready now to take a starting spot from Carson at some point the rest of this season. Will it equate into him being the guy next season, I don't know. But I do think Carson is having real trouble with his fumbling issue and it may never get cleared up going forward. That is a shame as he is a hard worker. But turnovers kill a game plan and he is not helping his case.

Penny is lightning quick and long speed fast if he keeps his weight in check. 225 lbs. is ideal for him. I'd still like to see him lose some more. 238 lbs. is crazy for him and way too high. 230 lbs. where he is now is still a little too high. He needs to come down. He played at San Diego State Aztecs between 220 lbs. - 228 lbs. He can be even faster than what you see now. I've seen a faster Penny than this. But he is getting there. I'm glad to see he has a nutritionist now and is taking this seriously. He never had a weight problem at San Diego State BTW. So this is rather surprising to me. But I'm glad he is addressing it.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
SanDiego49er":2r9ddugd said:
Mad Dog":2r9ddugd said:
DomeHawk":2r9ddugd said:
Hawkpower":2r9ddugd said:

That's the kind of back Penny is for the most part. He will give you some average plays once in a while. But he can take it to the house from anywhere on the field. So you have to keep feeding him. Because you never know when his big break out long run plays are coming. They are just different backs. Carson is a banger for short to medium yardage in heavy traffic and breaking tackles. Penny will run in open space sometimes all the way to the endzone. You have thunder (Carson) and lightning (Penny). There is really nothing wrong with that. That is useful for an NFL team.

Its much the same as baseball teams having guys that hit for average and home run hitters. The home run hitter strikes out too much but makes up for it with the deep ball. No baseball team likes to be without that guy that can change a game with one swing.