Pete Carroll and his BONEHEAD moves.

Basis4day

Reaction score
As much as i disagree with the OP, 2 pages pretty successful for an offseason thread that is not based on any breaking news like trades or new unis.

Mission accomplished?

EntiatHawk

Reaction score
We were one yard away, if the play is executed as planned it is a TD.

Though I may disagree with the call it was not as bad as it seems, it the ball falls to the ground or is caught by Lockette we have a different tune and then sometimes the other guy wins, hey they were a pretty good team also.

I am actually completely fine with "ALL of the Bonehead Plays" it make us who we are. We go for it, we are all in and most of the time it works out pretty damn well.

These have been the greatest years ever in Seahawk History and instead of finding fault in a game that is never perfect enjoy the ride. I am and can't wait to see this team come out and go for a third straight trip to the Superb Owl.

Seeing the boys in Hawaii make me feel great about this team... and we got Jimmy friggen Graham to throw to in the endzone now.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":j83oprzp said:
His biggest flaw is he trusts his craptastic OC too much......... Other than that it's hard 2 bitch about back to back super appearances.
Agree 100%

I am hopeful that Jeff Fisher doesn't sneak up on him again in St. L this next season. You'd think he'd be ready for that shit after seeing it several years running now.

kobebryant

Reaction score
Not concerned at all.

You coach long enough and you're gonna have decisions that the less than knowledgeable will refer to as "boneheaded".

Bill Belli had that failed 4th down vs the Colts on their own side of the 50. It happens to em all, less so to the best, but it is just more magnified when it happens to the best.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Pete Carroll's biggest mistake is allowing Bevell to call plays in the red zone. :sarcasm_off:

hgwellz12

Reaction score
In a lofty place tanglin' with Satan over history.
Like my wife said the other day (when telling me I remind her of Luscious Lyon (Terrence Howard) of *"Empire")
"You're dangerously charming & a vicious a$$hole when you want to be, but, you have to take the GOOD with the BAD."

* I LOATHE that atrocity of a show!

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Seahawks1983":3taie637 said:
Name a single coach in football history that has never made a bad decision.
Billicheat in XLIX got a way with a huge mistake right before Bevell's boner, he didn't call time out, he let the clock run off 30+ seconds. If Seattle scores there, which odds said at the time were more than likely, he gave his team very little chance at a comeback.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":1svrf2p6 said:
Seahawks1983":1svrf2p6 said:
Billicheat in XLIX got a way with a huge mistake right before Bevell's boner, he didn't call time out, he let the clock run off 30+ seconds. If Seattle scores there, which odds said at the time were more than likely, he gave his team very little chance at a comeback.
Sorry, but it wasn't Bevell's boner, or whatever ignorant wording you used. Pete made the call. Get over it.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Wait, there was a controversial call at the end of the Superbowl? How is it already the middle of April and yet nobody has brought it up until just now.

Vetamur

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":2bf11sut said:
Seahawks1983":2bf11sut said:

I dont think that was a mistake. I think he was thinking ..."Ok..this is it. I put my guys out there, you put your guys out there..and lets settle this, right here and right now".

Seafan

Reaction score
That last play was more about "execution" than anything else. We need to give Butler the credit he deserves. He should have been MVP. He really did win that game for them. You can question the play call forever but it doesn't matter. Pete is the best coach in franchise history. Championships start with a strong defense and solid running game (sounds like Chuck Knox).

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
It was the stupidest call in NFL history. yes, it was BONEHEADED. It was the very definition of boneheaded. Pete got too cute.

There's nothing wrong with being honest about it. Perhaps he's learned from this epic mistake. I certainly hope so.

In Pete I Trust.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Anyone who doesn't think Pete is a great coach is on crack. And Bevell made that call, not Pete. Don't care how many times he claims it was him.

MVP53

Reaction score
titan3131":1f0zn6u4 said:
I am not saying Carroll isnt the best coach in the league imo, I think he is. Im not saying anything bad about him.

I am acknowledging a pattern and wondering your thoughts about it. And Just spitting his record out isnt a good argument.

We all know about the 2 popular boneheaded move carroll is infamous for.

SB 49 1 yard line...

and USC vs Texas in the championship the 4-2 call.

Apparently a similar situation has happened before where carroll makes a call that changes the end result of the game away from their favor.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/nf ... 1422311323

I found this very interesting, and I pray that carroll has these all engraved in his mind and never loses a game for us on a bonehead play call.

does this concern anyone?

Two plays in 10 years constitutes a pattern?

MVP53

Reaction score
titan3131":3qdmm1xe said:
Sgt. Largent":3qdmm1xe said:
titan3131":3qdmm1xe said:
2nd half boneheaded drives.

Seattle at 11:32 SEA SDG
1st and 10 at SEA 20 (11:32) PENALTY on SEA-Z.Miller, False Start, 5 yards, enforced at SEA 20 - No Play. 14 20
1st and 15 at SEA 15 (11:32) (Shotgun) R.Lockette right end to SEA 17 for 2 yards (R.Marshall).
2nd and 13 at SEA 17 (10:51) (Shotgun) R.Wilson pass short left to M.Lynch to SEA 25 for 8 yards (E.Weddle, M.Gilchrist).
3rd and 5 at SEA 25 (10:01) (Shotgun) R.Wilson pass incomplete short left. Penalty on SEA-Z.Miller, Offensive Pass Interference, declined.

Seattle at 3:04 SEA SDG
1st and 10 at SEA 11 (3:04) (Shotgun) P.Harvin left end to SEA 5 for -6 yards (S.Wright). 21 27
2nd and 16 at SEA 5 (2:25) (Shotgun) R.Wilson pass short right to M.Lynch to SEA 9 for 4 yards (M.Ingram, M.Gilchrist).
Two-Minute Warning
3rd and 12 at SEA 9 (2:00) (Shotgun) R.Wilson pass short middle to M.Lynch to SEA 10 for 1 yard (D.Stuckey).
Timeout #2 by SEA at 01:51.
4th and 11 at SEA 10 (1:51) (Shotgun) R.Wilson pass incomplete deep right to J.Kearse. PENALTY on SEA-Z.Miller, Personal Foul, 5 yards, enforced at SEA 10.

I think these drives were dumb play calls.

WE ARE BLESSED TO HAVE CARROLL.

I am just asking for peoples thoughts on why these moments happen.

Why do offensive penalties happen to push your offense into obvious passing plays? idk, ask any coach that, cause I'm sure he'd love to have the magic elixer to stop dumb penalties.

Listing two drives out of entire seasons to make a point is again dumb, if you want to criticize Pete for not running the ball you're talking to the wrong fans. We run the ball more than anyone in the league, so I'm not sure what your deal is taking that stance.

If you dont remember this was the time where we had burned GB with harvin and it didnt work against SD, all those screens and gadget plays were flopping terribly. So you dont think that it was dumb to run a jet sweep with LOCKETTE when it hadnt worked earlier with a better player in harvin, I would have preferred anything to that.

and then the final drive started with harvin opening the drive and losing 6 yards. When did we run ML last and lose 6 yards?

Harvin was a bust we all agree. All I am saying is that Carroll has had big moment failures with different staffs, and he took credit for the SB so he is responsible for his staff now and their decisions.

As someone pointed out, it's real football, not Madden. You can't just hand it to Lynch every play and expect to continuously gain yardage. You want balance on offense, that means a fly sweep and bubble screen every once in a while.

You ever watch a good pitcher pitch? They don't throw their outpitch in the strike zone every single pitch, do they? Sometimes, you have to waste one away to keep the hitter off balance.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":97l01hi5 said:
Anyone who doesn't think Pete is a great coach is on crack. And Bevell made that call, not Pete. Don't care how many times he claims it was him.
Pete called for a pass, Bev dialed up the play, Russ, Kearse and Ricardo were a tic off on their execution of said play and Butler made a highlight-reel interception for the Pats. Spell it out for you succinctly? All had a hand in it. And the Hawks have the best coaching staff in the league

MVP53

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":34ku1lf1 said:
SoulfishHawk":34ku1lf1 said:
Pete called for a pass, Bev dialed up the play, Russ, Kearse and Ricardo were a tic off on their execution of said play and Butler made a highlight-reel interception for the Pats. Spell it out for you succinctly? All had a hand in it. And the Hawks have the best coaching staff in the league

It's been rehashed a billion times, but I don't even think throwing there was a bad call. IIRC, the circumstance with the clock made it such that you probably had to throw once, and run twice. They threw first. I think NE's D alignment had a hand in that decision as well.

I would have preferred they put Wilson on the move and utilize his athleticism & decision making a little more, but are we really going to call a 2 yard slant a "bonehead" play call? What were the stats; that play gets intercepted less than 1% of the time?

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
getting lectured about football on a forum, gee, that never happens. We don't have to agree on it, but Pete is one hell of a football coach.

It's just my own opinion, Bevell made the call. Bad call regardless, in the past. A roll out of some sort and/or a fade etc. would have been preferred. But, sometimes it's the opponent making a great play, and Butler made an incredible play. Obviously giving the ball to that Beast guy would be the real preference :th2thumbs:
It is what it is, Time to move forward.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Calling a pass play wasn't boneheaded. What made it boneheaded was the personnel grouping on that play. A successful play with that same personnel grouping under the same circumstances would have the same percentage of chance as me having a date with Kate Upton. That's what makes it boneheaded, IMO. You go with the plays that have a higher percentage of being successful. Throwing a slant to a 4th string WR at 1 yard line with 30 seconds to go is not one of them. Thus the results obtained.