Pete Carroll "They doubled Jimmy really well"

RussB

Reaction score
You can still throw to jimmy in double coverage, thats the reason he got paid.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
RussB":1gh11vn7 said:

This indeed. Graham is one of only a handful of guys in the league that you should still target sometimes when he's double-teamed.

I would still like to see some 1st read/targets to Graham in the redzone regardless if he's covered.

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":db7ytt6q said:
RussB":db7ytt6q said:

This indeed. Graham is one of only a handful of guys in the league that you should still target sometimes when he's double-teamed.

I would still like to see some 1st read/targets to Graham in the redzone regardless if he's covered.

Why when you have Baldwin single covered??? Just to get JG the ball. Doesn't make sense. Go with what they give you.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Year of The Hawk":1g49k9r9 said:
West TX Hawk":1g49k9r9 said:
RussB":1g49k9r9 said:

Why when you have Baldwin single covered??? Just to get JG the ball. Doesn't make sense. Go with what they give you.

I mean in general, not last night-certainly target Baldwin if he's singled. Oftentimes teams double up Baldwin in the endzone also and we end up seeing all these redzone targets to Kearse where it might be worth it to try a jump ball to Graham instead.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":1xwoxrtm said:
RussB":1xwoxrtm said:

This could be true.

But you have to account for what Wilson was seeing as a result. He completed 70% of his passes, and probably 4 of those incompletions were on him not delivering a catchable ball. The other options he found were actually open.

In the end, I would much rather have Wilson throw to open guys than a double covered Graham. If doubling Jimmy made for clean opportunities elsewhere then Graham got paid to do what all talented players get paid for:

Make their teammates around them better.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Here is Graham's stat-line last time he played New England:

0 catches 0 yards

That's with Drew Brees at quarterback, during an 11-5 season in 2013.

Belichick shut Graham out last time. So no surprise they did a good job limiting him last night.

Credit Seattle for exploiting the attention Graham was getting.

flmmkrz

Reaction score
Cartire":3reu2mxk said:
MontanaHawk05":3reu2mxk said:
Doubling Jimmy is a victory for the offense. It opens up a ton, both in the passing game and the running. If Wilson threw a couple of those Kearse targets a bit better, the score is even higher than before.

If Kearse doesnt try and reach for the goal line, its a catch and we are 1st down on the 2 yard line. Instead, he got cute and tried to reach before he had secured the ball all the way and we had to go for the FG.

So?

If I only was faster and a better football player i'd be in the nfl too...if's don't matter... you are paid to make plays, not almost make them. If you're making plays and you screw one making an extra effort you can forgive that but you can't not make plays and then blow one trying to extend it. He's gotta get back to delivering. With his body of work this season it's just not acceptable.

flmmkrz

Reaction score
Year of The Hawk":g0r6cu33 said:
West TX Hawk":g0r6cu33 said:
RussB":g0r6cu33 said:

A double team doesn't guarantee that a play can't be made. I agree don't force a ball just for the sake of getting his targets up but you got to have the mindset that he's our best receiver, if there's a shot to be taken, take it. You can't be in the mindset presnap that hes going to be doubled look elsewhere. Force them to take him out of the game, lets not do the job for them. If you got a better match up you take it but sometimes you got to let your playmaker make a play for you rather than watching your 3rd or 4th receiver get all your targets. That plays to what the other team wants, they want to see you beat them with your worst players.

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
flmmkrz":2gwa58ix said:
Year of The Hawk":2gwa58ix said:
West TX Hawk":2gwa58ix said:
RussB":2gwa58ix said:

A double team doesn't guarantee that a play can't be made. I agree don't force a ball just for the sake of getting his targets up but you got to have the mindset that he's our best receiver, if there's a shot to be taken, take it. You can't be in the mindset presnap that hes going to be doubled look elsewhere. Force them to take him out of the game, lets not do the job for them. If you got a better match up you take it but sometimes you got to let your playmaker make a play for you rather than watching your 3rd or 4th receiver get all your targets. That plays to what the other team wants, they want to see you beat them with your worst players.

You look at them as worst play makers. I think many will look at them as OPEN. If they are spending two guys just to cover up JG then let them. We will beat them the way we did with the "worst receivers". Who cares what the other team want. Take what you want with what is given.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
flmmkrz":3062czks said:

This is what bad teams do, force balls into their ONE good player because that's their only way of moving the ball.

Good teams do what the Patriots and Seahawks did last night, they spread the ball around depending on who's covered and who's not. Gronk's being double teamed? Throw it to Bennett. Jimmy's being bracketed? Baldwin goes off.

Efficient offense is all about not only having multiple options, but being unpredictable.............because a good defense will suffocate the life out of you if you're predictable and one dimensional.

Jimmy will get his catches, as he has all year. No need to criticize the playcalling or Russell's decision making when your offense just went crazy the past two weeks. Throw to an open Doug, Lockett or Kearse........or force it into double coverage to Jimmy? Not a hard decision.

sutz

Reaction score
Sorry, but even with Jimmy Graham, you don't force throws into double coverage unless you absolutely have to. In the middle quarters of a close game when you have other options working, why take even that chance?

:34853_doh: