Pete Doubles Down, Admits he interfered in playcalling

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Scorpion05":3dnx0gkb said:
Sgt. Largent":3dnx0gkb said:
While I get what Pete's saying about running the ball, IMO what I think he's trying to say is the offense didn't have an identity this year, and he wants that identity to be a pounding nasty run game, etc.

So he's right on that front, the offense really didn't have an identity this year, just kinda existed in this purgatory world of letting Russ cook to sorta trying to run the ball again, to ending up being neither.

On the other hand, he said last week he actually liked the way the offense looked against SF, and that he was perfectly fine with "playing this style of football."

That's what scares me the most with Pete if he truly believes his own words. Being OK with your offense sucking for entire first halves and not doing a damn thing until the 3rd or 4th quarter game in and game out, season in and season out is about the most frustrating thing he could have told me today.

Because that's no recipe to win in today's NFL.

I get what he's saying too, but here's the problem with that. The passing game will always be tempting when you have DK Metcalf, and a QB that has shown (for most of his career at least) that he can throw it deep.

Defenses would absolutely be willing to take their chances in the trenches, and give up a 5 yard run. As opposed to a 30-50 yard bomb. And that's my problem. The team DID have an identity. It was high flying, spread it out, pass first.

Sure, we stumbled a bit, but Pete overreacted. It's as if he was looking for an excuse to go back to his old style. I've seen Brees have 4 interception games. That didn't stop Payton from calling aggressive passing plays. I've seen Mahomes turn over the ball multiple times in a game (against the Rams, 2018). No amount of turnovers would cause Reid to take the ball out of Mahomes hands. The season should have lived, and died with Russ "cooking." Because you can't just switch your offensive identity like that mid-season.

Hard to blame Pete for panicking when he saw his QB commit 10 turnovers in four games, losing three of them watching good defenses like the Rams and Bills completely annihilate that offensive scheme.

That's where great coaching, coordinating and gameplanning come in........and that's where the coaches and Russ failed this year. They couldn't figure out how to counteract the two high safety defenses that took away the deep ball passing game.

And for all the Pete does well, and it's a lot. He's never been a great tactician. He thinks all that matters is his athletes being stronger, faster and tougher than your athletes............and as we found out Saturday, he has NO IDEA what to do when he sees a team that has even stronger, faster and tougher athletes than him.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
The 2nd Cardinal game would be an interesting one to go back and look at. That was after the 2 games with all the turnover and Pete going public about it. Yet in that game there was a downfield passing game, that could have been better if a long one to DK doesn't get called back on a holding call. Was that just playing against a crap Cards D because that game had fine balance, including running the ball at the end of the game.

If I had to point to a game where I started getting frustrated with our play calls and the offence it was the Eagle game, particularly the 2nd half. It was a return to the past of pulling whatever hair I have left out watching our offence and it was so many thing. Play calls, Russ not being on target, no protection, etc etc.

The play calling boondoggle we saw before that 4th down play is nothing new. It reminded me of the delay of game penalty even after a time out vs the Niners last year from the 1. It's starting to really look like Pete getting in the offence's way is the reason for it.

potatohead33

Reaction score
HawkRiderFan":2yorsldg said:
The play calling boondoggle we saw before that 4th down play is nothing new. It reminded me of the delay of game penalty even after a time out vs the Niners last year from the 1. It's starting to really look like Pete getting in the offence's way is the reason for it.

lol

That was the first thing I thought of. Total amateur hour.

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3knsf867 said:
Scorpion05":3knsf867 said:
Sgt. Largent":3knsf867 said:
While I get what Pete's saying about running the ball, IMO what I think he's trying to say is the offense didn't have an identity this year, and he wants that identity to be a pounding nasty run game, etc.

So he's right on that front, the offense really didn't have an identity this year, just kinda existed in this purgatory world of letting Russ cook to sorta trying to run the ball again, to ending up being neither.

On the other hand, he said last week he actually liked the way the offense looked against SF, and that he was perfectly fine with "playing this style of football."

That's what scares me the most with Pete if he truly believes his own words. Being OK with your offense sucking for entire first halves and not doing a damn thing until the 3rd or 4th quarter game in and game out, season in and season out is about the most frustrating thing he could have told me today.

Because that's no recipe to win in today's NFL.

I get what he's saying too, but here's the problem with that. The passing game will always be tempting when you have DK Metcalf, and a QB that has shown (for most of his career at least) that he can throw it deep.

Defenses would absolutely be willing to take their chances in the trenches, and give up a 5 yard run. As opposed to a 30-50 yard bomb. And that's my problem. The team DID have an identity. It was high flying, spread it out, pass first.

Sure, we stumbled a bit, but Pete overreacted. It's as if he was looking for an excuse to go back to his old style. I've seen Brees have 4 interception games. That didn't stop Payton from calling aggressive passing plays. I've seen Mahomes turn over the ball multiple times in a game (against the Rams, 2018). No amount of turnovers would cause Reid to take the ball out of Mahomes hands. The season should have lived, and died with Russ "cooking." Because you can't just switch your offensive identity like that mid-season.

Hard to blame Pete for panicking when he saw his QB commit 10 turnovers in four games, losing three of them watching good defenses like the Rams and Bills completely annihilate that offensive scheme.

That's where great coaching, coordinating and gameplanning come in........and that's where the coaches and Russ failed this year. They couldn't figure out how to counteract the two high safety defenses that took away the deep ball passing game.

And for all the Pete does well, and it's a lot. He's never been a great tactician. He thinks all that matters is his athletes being stronger, faster and tougher than your athletes............and as we found out Saturday, he has NO IDEA what to do when he sees a team that has even stronger, faster and tougher athletes than him.
He stated it on the radio this morning. His preferred method to beating the 2 high safety look is to run the ball at it and force them to bring 1 down. I think that is specifically where his desire to run more comes from. I also think teams were coming in early in the season on defense game planning against our reputation to be run first-run heavy and our plan to throw deep alot matched up perfectly. As soon as D coordinators said nope, 2 high no deep ball, it was over. We couldn't run well enough to pull them out of it and for some dam reason they can't figure out how to pass the ball AT ALL against it. Even if they pick it up running the ball at some point a team is gonna stop it and they'll have to figure out how to move the ball throwing it against 2 high.

I still think Russell is the main problem with the passing game against 2 high safeties. He either can't see the underneath stuff or his ego won't let him take it. Either way it's there to be had often enough. We do need a slot receiver that is sturdy and quick that can break tackles on that underneath stuff to help get extra yards.

John63

Reaction score
LTH":2cjqmvex said:
nwHawk":2cjqmvex said:
LTH":2cjqmvex said:
I think what is happening is that Carroll is protecting Schotty as there are some adjustments that need to be made between schotty and Carroll and probably Russ too... I think he has given Schotty some latitude calling plays after telling him what he wants and Schotty is not calling the game the way Pete wants him to... Pete wants him to run the ball more and Pete even said in this last PC that he felt the passing game needed to be mixed up exactly what you said earlier in the season (Sgt Largent)...

but the reason they lost that game was because they couldn't block the rams D line even when AD was out... Which was why I thought they should have gone back to the run game and pounded that D line but then Donald went out of the game

Yup, because Pete will always "fall on the sword" to protect the team. Some fans don't want to believe it. Rule #1 - Protect the Team.

Yep... Schotty does the same for Russ and everybody else...

LTH

Hmm I seem to recall on more than on occasion several players being called out by POC. That said Wilson never calls out anyone in public.

John63

Reaction score
HawkNuts":26micfgy said:
The other issue is why pay 25-30 million a year for a QB when you want to run the ball more?

Because he still needs that QB to pull is A$$ out of the fire in the 4th qtr

hoxrox

Reaction score
OrangeGravy":1g6ernmf said:
I still think Russell is the main problem with the passing game against 2 high safeties. He either can't see the underneath stuff or his ego won't let him take it. Either way it's there to be had often enough. We do need a slot receiver that is sturdy and quick that can break tackles on that underneath stuff to help get extra yards.

Pretty much this. A player like Gordon or a reliable pass-catching TE would help also.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
OrangeGravy":353hustm said:
He stated it on the radio this morning. His preferred method to beating the 2 high safety look is to run the ball at it and force them to bring 1 down. I think that is specifically where his desire to run more comes from. I also think teams were coming in early in the season on defense game planning against our reputation to be run first-run heavy and our plan to throw deep alot matched up perfectly. As soon as D coordinators said nope, 2 high no deep ball, it was over. We couldn't run well enough to pull them out of it and for some dam reason they can't figure out how to pass the ball AT ALL against it. Even if they pick it up running the ball at some point a team is gonna stop it and they'll have to figure out how to move the ball throwing it against 2 high.

That is how you beat the two high safety scheme, you pound the rock and force one of those safeties to come down into the box, then you take your shots with play action.

But that requires a good run blocking O-line, and the current state of our line isn't very good.

Your 2nd point is well taken, and I said this in another thread, he fixates on the deep routes, has a hard time throwing on time to windows............Russell prefers to buy time to allow the play to break down and then he looks for the open receivers.

Slot receiver would help out greatly, but in the end it's on Russell to be a better decision maker and throw on time.

PateratoWilson

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":z5r1gshu said:
OrangeGravy":z5r1gshu said:

That is how you beat the two high safety scheme, you pound the rock and force one of those safeties to come down into the box, then you take your shots with play action.

But that requires a good run blocking O-line, and the current state of our line isn't very good.

Your 2nd point is well taken, and I said this in another thread, he fixates on the deep routes, has a hard time throwing on time to windows............Russell prefers to buy time to allow the play to break down and then he looks for the open receivers.

Slot receiver would help out greatly, but in the end it's on Russell to be a better decision maker and throw on time.

Great points guys. Dare I say Russell is confused? I mean with Pete’s revelation today that he steers the offense when needed maybe Russ doesn’t know who to please. No excuses. Russ has been shit but the disconnect is philosophy and approach has never been more in the spotlight than it has been with Pete’s comments today.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Somebody should friggin' point out to Pete that if we have a decently advanced short and intermediate passing game, the safeties won't be able to stay two high all game. They were able to just sit back and wait all game every game for over a month because we DON'T have an answer to it, which is honestly pathetic.

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
PateratoWilson":dpwwfs5e said:
Sgt. Largent":dpwwfs5e said:
OrangeGravy":dpwwfs5e said:

Great points guys. Dare I say Russell is confused? I mean with Pete’s revelation today that he steers the offense when needed maybe Russ doesn’t know who to please. No excuses. Russ has been $h!t but the disconnect is philosophy and approach has never been more in the spotlight than it has been with Pete’s comments today.

I don't think he's confused at all. He either struggles to trust it or he's holding onto the deep read too long. I would love to know who the primary is on those passing plays against 2 high when the underneath guy or the back releasing in the flat is open "right now". If the primary read goes from deep to short, he's holding onto it for way too long. I think the primary read against 2 high should be to hit the flat or underneath right away when they have the best chance to stretch the gain. I really want to know what they say to him in these situations because it feels like he's just ignoring it.

@sgt. Largent, those throws are open and we could sustain a few more drives if they/he would just hit those guys early. Tyler is the only guy with good enough feet to make hay in there, but he's averse to contact, so he's not getting much yac unless he's WIDE open. DK is gonna be hit and miss on those just because he's not a change of direction guy. The TEs are too slow. Swain/Moore might be able to do it, but I haven't seen them used in that role. We need someone in the mold of Bolden like the Brown kid at Tennessee or the Aiyuk(SP?) kid in SF. 6'-6'1" ish and 200-215 lbs who gets up to full speed right now and is a RB once he catches it. Even a really quick smaller guy that is sturdy enough to initiate contact would be nice. I think it's the key to being able to dink/dunk well enough to move the chains. Now it's useless to have that guy if Russell is permanently vapor locked against 2 high.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2fgj44zy said:
Somebody should friggin' point out to Pete that if we have a decently advanced short and intermediate passing game, the safeties won't be able to stay two high all game. They were able to just sit back and wait all game every game for over a month because we DON'T have an answer to it, which is honestly pathetic.
What if Pete is actually this tyrannical dictator moonlighting as this good fun guy personality for the cameras.

But when the door is closed he is completely the opposite.

What if Schottenheimer and previously Bevell all went to Pete and suggested all of these changes and he viciously verbally and physically abuses them??

Hahahaha.

This guy Pete is pure evil and he just gets away with it! All the time!

Lmao.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1147zr6e said:

Right. And an effective run game and a short and intermediate pass game, while still being able to take the deep shot, are not mutually exclusive. In fact it could be said all are essential parts of a dynamic and well-balanced offense. Seems basic, but...

chris98251

Reaction score
So prevent Defense to go along now with a Prevent Offense.

They could save money but letting Norton and Schotty leave since they have no control of how we play.

OP
OP
Scorpion05

Scorpion05

Reaction score
OrangeGravy":irtgcxch said:

While Russ did have some accuracy issues, missed some reads...he almost always obeys the coaching staff. The idea that he’s just stubbornly not taking the easy throws doesn’t add up to me. Pete is not a dink and dunk offense guy. He’s a run and take deep shots guy. He believes the deep shot is always there.

I would bet my house that the long developing plays, reads, etc is dictated by Pete. This is also compounded with an O-line that could still use some work.

Bottom line, Pete does not want an air it out, 5 yard pass here, 10 yard pass there offense. He deeply believes that the run replaces the short-mid passing game. He believes in leaning on defense, he believes passing the ball too much leads to turnovers. He’s stuck in his ways. And sadly, we are making definitive conclusions about Wilson because of it.

TraderGary

Reaction score
What a depressing last 3 days. I think this confirms what I said recently about Pete being a control freak and micro-manager, and having his coordinators on a short leash.

For all Pete's redeeming intangibles, he's one of the worst strategists and game day coaches I've ever seen. His risk averse and playing not to lose philosophies are a defeatist mentality. I think he tries to instill this mindset into his players, and I wouldn't be surprised if that has a lot to do with Wilson's regression in the 2nd half of the season. I've never seen him so tentative and undecisive, and I think we can attribute most of that to Pete.

The only person who can fix this is Jody Allen, the same person who thought a new 5-year extension for Pete was a good idea. She extended the wrong guy because I think after this, JS decides to cut the cord with Pete and move on.

We have some of the best young innovative head coaches in the NFCW in McVay, Shannahan, and Kingsbury, and we have a delusional head coach who's still stuck in the 60's or 70's and refuses to adapt to today's game. I'm surprised he doesn't grow a pony tail and wear tie die shirts on the sidelines.

I've loved the Seahawks from day one of the franchise and I will continue to support them win or lose. But looking at the other teams in our division, both from a coaching and player standpoint, unless some drastic changes are made, I think we finish 4th next year, and out of the playoffs. I think it will be the 49ers, Rams, Cardinals, and Seahawks in that order. I've lost all confidence in Pete as an NFL head coach.