Pete has to go

Danny Darko

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":ptdq9ovh said:
Thunderhawk":ptdq9ovh said:
I don't care if he goes 0-16 the next few years. He delivered a championship to Seattle.

And here's the problem. I think most of the fans have become as complacent as the coaching staff. Just because we won once, its ok if we never do again? Complaining about fans that want better for this team is more asinine than those fans wanting some change.

I agree and Pete might want to coach forever, but he's the oldest in the league, so we do need to start figuring that out.

My short list would be Gruden and Quinn

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Seahawk fans always want to bring up the excessive amount of penalties. Every fan base can pick on one thing that their team does poorly. I'd much rather it be penalties than say a horrible defense, or an inept offense. No team is perfect.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Disagree with the premise of the thread.

Pete has had the best record of any coach the team has ever had. I love his style and think his teams play hard for him.

There are times when 'BIG BALLS PETE" calls a crazy play, and in reality his clock management skills have never been his strong suit. He's a great coach!

Seymour

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":1s8am3tq said:
Seahawk fans always want to bring up the excessive amount of penalties. Every fan base can pick on one thing that their team does poorly. I'd much rather it be penalties than say a horrible defense, or an inept offense. No team is perfect.

Not in my case. I would prefer to not bring up penalties as a reason we are self destructing. But when we are on NFL record pace, have 5 consecutive games over 100 yards in penalties, literally walk the other team to 7 points on several penalties in a drive....one would have to be living under a rock to not see the adverse effect it has on the team and game.

joeseahawks

Reaction score
No sure about you ... but I still believe we are winning the SB this year, then Pete will retire afterwards.
Our real problem is .. Our recent drafts have been really bad.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
joeseahawks":2uwew7x3 said:
No sure about you ... but I still believe we are winning the SB this year, then Pete will retire afterwards.
Our real problem is .. Our recent drafts have been really bad.
What kool-aid have you been drinking?

Please, elaborate as to why you believe this years Hawks is capable of doing so??

MrThortan

Reaction score
Still good with Pete for another year. A lot of teams never see the playoffs consistently and we have had some success under his command.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
jammerhawk":da1or09x said:

Pete has had the best record of any coach the team has ever had. I love his style and think his teams play hard for him.

There are times when 'BIG BALLS PETE" calls a crazy play, and in reality his clock management skills have never been his strong suit. He's a great coach!

Pete has also had the most talented roster in Seahawks history. Wins come hand in hand. Its when the team isnt that talented that a coach really shines. Petes not doing so great pertaining to that aspect.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":39x0lmcs said:
Those excessive penalties are costing us, and have cost us games. Moreover, Seattle is on record to crush the record for most penalties in one season. There is a difference between incurring penalties, and incurring a record number of penalties. It is indicative on undisciplined play.

MeanBlueGreen

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":31mhxfn0 said:
Maelstrom787":31mhxfn0 said:
Not sure. Our record now matches what it was in 2012 and 2014. The Seahawks have been contenders for a long time and you don't just give up a seat at that table.

This is more #benchtyrod logic. Seattle has it great. That isn't to say that there aren't any criticisms to make of this team - there are many. But come on, this whole preemptive firing stuff is just silly.

It’s totally clear now that all the success you mention can be attributed entirely to 3 great drafts and the Marshawn Lynch trade, not Pete’s coaching. Now, with no LOB on rookie contracts, we see that Pete doesn’t have the chops to get the guys he has playing good football. I mean look at just the penalties. It’s one thing when you are penalized frequently but you’ve got the league’s best roster, but now? No ability to overcome them and yet PC changes nothing about these guys are coached.

I know it feels right to say “we’ve had it great, don’t complain.” Fact is that the perfect storm of factors that made us great are gone, and PC isn’t the kind of coach to adapt to a new era. I’d rather rip the bandaid off and get rolling on the next era of good Seahawks football.

Because there were so many before Pete Carroll??? You have got to be kidding me. The Seahawks, as depleted and battered as they are, have never been this consistently good. We have had a few seasons of above average, one excellent season and a whole wack of mediocre Same Old Seahawks teams For Decades! I've been a fan since late 70s and, while I love the Seahawks, there were some incredibly bad teams in there. I have no desire to return to mediocrity.

Do I love the penalties, the strange play calls, bad Oline play? No, but I will take the aggression and chip-on-the-shoulder mentality that seems to permeate any day of the week.

Pete Carroll is a future HOF coach. I hope he doesn't;t go anywhere.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
MeanBlueGreen":3v5bskdt said:
Because there were so many before Pete Carroll??? You have got to be kidding me. The Seahawks, as depleted and battered as they are, have never been this consistently good. We have had a few seasons of above average, one excellent season and a whole wack of mediocre Same Old Seahawks teams For Decades! I've been a fan since late 70s and, while I love the Seahawks, there were some incredibly bad teams in there. I have no desire to return to mediocrity.

But its happening right before your very eyes.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":fxw2ax2v said:
jammerhawk":fxw2ax2v said:

Pete has also had the most talented roster in Seahawks history. Wins come hand in hand. Its when the team isnt that talented that a coach really shines. Petes not doing so great pertaining to that aspect.

OK sorry pittpnthers but you've made perhaps some of the worst posts I've seen on a fan site ever.

First, Pete has to be given some credit for the talent on the roster. They've been able to develop skills in players to best utilize their unique abilities and put them in a place to be successful. If you think this roster would have been as successful on different teams, I think you are deluding yourself.

Second, the 83 Seahawks were probably as talented as this group. Curt Warner, Steve Largent, Kenny Easley, Jacob Green, Dave Brown, and others in their prime.

Third, and this refers to your earlier post, there is nothing wrong with being satisfied with a single championship. For decades, that's all 12's clamoured for. "One ring please and I can die happy" was a common refrain. I will never forget that season. I am not a complacent fan. I am just not an entitled fan. I believe that a) winning in the NFL is hard, b) there are plenty of equally talented teams in the league and c) injuries are the great equalizer of any roster. So it's rare that you seem teams win, year after year. Seriously, do you only look at the Seahawks or do you have enough perspective to look at other franchises?
Many uber talented teams have only one ring or even 0 rings.

Do I want more rings. I certainly do. Do I think there is a coach waiting in the wings that gives me a better shot at winning more rings than Pete. No I do not. And that is the sad reality of this thread. Firing coaches is never the answer unless the real answer is out there waiting to be hired. Since there is only one coach in the league that seems to have figured his way around parity, and he's not going anywhere soon, I can't see why a thread like this even exists.

Give me a name of one coach that's available that you are sure will do a better job than Pete. I hear Jeff Fisher is looking for work, so there is always that.

People calling for Pete's head need to be forced to cheer for the Browns. That franchise is more than happy to fire coaches year in and year out when things don't go well. Look at all the Rings they have because of it. SMH

CPHawk

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":3ej9eip7 said:
Hawk_Nation":3ej9eip7 said:
Only coach I would want outside of Pete is Gruden

Don't get the Gruden love. Doesn't really have an overall good history as an NFL coach. Yes good couple years but more down than good.

He's an average coach at best, who won a SB with Dungeys players, and then ran the team into the ground.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
CPHawk":1cy3yetc said:
seahawkfreak":1cy3yetc said:
Hawk_Nation":1cy3yetc said:

Don't get the Gruden love. Doesn't really have an overall good history as an NFL coach. Yes good couple years but more down than good.

He's an average coach at best, who won a SB with Dungeys players, and then ran the team into the ground.

The same people calling for Gruden to replace Pete are the same people that will be howling for him to be fired after the first sign of adversity.

I don't know when the Hawks acquired all these SB or bust fans. You'd think being a Seahawk fan meant you had perspective about how hard it was to win a SB. Were all these people Steelers fans in the 70's, Niner fans in the 80's and Cowboy fans in the 90's?

Will I be saddened by an 8-8 season? Surely. Do I think a HC should be fired after his first non-playoff season in 6 years? Absolutely not. That's the kind of thing that got the Niners where they are today.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Mad Dog":3ci80k2j said:
First, Pete has to be given some credit for the talent on the roster. They've been able to develop skills in players to best utilize their unique abilities and put them in a place to be successful. If you think this roster would have been as successful on different teams, I think you are deluding yourself.

I feel that Pete is a very good talent evaluater and has a great defensive mind. I think he could have been one of the all time great defensive coordinators. When it comes to the offensive side of the ball and the X's and O's, I think he struggles. As for the roster, I absolutely believe they would have been successful regardless of what team they were on. I'll say it again, I feel Pete was super lucky that Russ panned out like he did. He hides a lot of coaching deficiencies.

Second, the 83 Seahawks were probably as talented as this group. Curt Warner, Steve Largent, Kenny Easley, Jacob Green, Dave Brown, and others in their prime.

Not even close. I see you refused to list Zorn and Krieg. Thats where the difference is.

Third, and this refers to your earlier post, there is nothing wrong with being satisfied with a single championship. For decades, that's all 12's clamoured for. "One ring please and I can die happy" was a common refrain. I will never forget that season. I am not a complacent fan. I am just not an entitled fan. I believe that a) winning in the NFL is hard, b) there are plenty of equally talented teams in the league and c) injuries are the great equalizer of any roster. So it's rare that you seem teams win, year after year. Seriously, do you only look at the Seahawks or do you have enough perspective to look at other franchises?
Many uber talented teams have only one ring or even 0 rings.

Well I see where you stand. I'm not satisfied with just one ring. Especially with the roster this team has had for the past 5 years. One ring is a shame. You see nothing wrong with being content and satisfied with one ring so you should understand when fans hunger for more too.

Do I want more rings. I certainly do. Do I think there is a coach waiting in the wings that gives me a better shot at winning more rings than Pete. No I do not. And that is the sad reality of this thread. Firing coaches is never the answer unless the real answer is out there waiting to be hired. Since there is only one coach in the league that seems to have figured his way around parity, and he's not going anywhere soon, I can't see why a thread like this even exists.

This team isnt going anywhere with Pete any longer. Its ran its course under his regime. I dont feel he's capable or innovative enough to fix the problems.

Give me a name of one coach that's available that you are sure will do a better job than Pete. I hear Jeff Fisher is looking for work, so there is always that.

So instead of trying something new, you would rather stick with the obvious downward course? I'll never understand that process of thinking.

People calling for Pete's head need to be forced to cheer for the Browns. That franchise is more than happy to fire coaches year in and year out when things don't go well. Look at all the Rings they have because of it. SMH

The Browns have won 8 League Championships in their history so their fans should be content right? *sigh*

Ambrose83

Reaction score
Mad Dog":3pvr7wr9 said:
CPHawk":3pvr7wr9 said:
seahawkfreak":3pvr7wr9 said:
Hawk_Nation":3pvr7wr9 said:

The same people calling for Gruden to replace Pete are the same people that will be howling for him to be fired after the first sign of adversity.

I don't know when the Hawks acquired all these SB or bust fans. You'd think being a Seahawk fan meant you had perspective about how hard it was to win a SB. Were all these people Steelers fans in the 70's, Niner fans in the 80's and Cowboy fans in the 90's?

Will I be saddened by an 8-8 season? Surely. Do I think a HC should be fired after his first non-playoff season in 6 years? Absolutely not. That's the kind of thing that got the Niners where they are today.

Have you seen our roster?

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":1smgwcqf said:
Careful what you wish for Seahawk fans. It is easy to say get rid of a guy, but who knows what we bring in. To be honest, there aren't many great head coaches. Other than McVay, Bellicheck, and a few others. How many are actually game changers? Meaning they can change the outcome of a teams future. How has Vance Joseph in Denver worked out? Jack Del Rio in Oakland? Sean McDermott in Buffalo? John Fox in Chicago? Adam Gase in Miami? Kyle Shannahan in SF? Tod Bowles in New York? Bill O'Brien in Houston?

All I'm saying is that most coaches are JAG. They are "just a guy." I don't really see another coach coming in here and completely turning us back into a SB contender.

It doesn't matter becasue we aren't moving on from Pete anytime soon unless PC chooses to retire. Very rarely do you see winning franchises that have had as much success as us in the past few years fire a coach.

For every historic coach there is a decent coach who took someone else’s roster and won a super bowl

Mike Shanahan
John Gruden
Brian Billick

And Dan Quinn came really close.

Sometimes all you need is change. I think PC’s best days are behind him.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
hawker84":98w14hed said:
Jerhawk":98w14hed said:
Tusc2000":98w14hed said:
Pete's not going anywhere. Maybe some of YOU should.

:ditto: It's unfortunate that a bumpy season causes folks to want to clean house

A bumpy Season, as in just one? exactly what has this team done since our second SB appearance? Which went swimmingly I might add, thanks to a brilliant call by none other.

Oh that's right, I forget some of you are satisfied with division banners around here. This team is stagnant or worse, on the rapid decline, and that starts at the top. If folks can't see the obvious decline in our coaching staff over the last few years, you A) don't know football very well, or B) simply don't want to see it. This team has waaaaay too much talent on both sides of the ball to be this mediocre....

Ok, since you want to attack my apparent lack of football knowledge, what do you suggest they do to correct the "problem" of having a 6-4 football team riddled with injuries coming off 5 consecutive playoff appearances?

You must know football much better than I, so please, elaborate with you solution here O wise one.

sdog1981

Reaction score
HawkNuts":1kytzi8v said:
Hawk-Lock":1kytzi8v said:
Careful what you wish for Seahawk fans. It is easy to say get rid of a guy, but who knows what we bring in. To be honest, there aren't many great head coaches. Other than McVay, Bellicheck, and a few others. How many are actually game changers? Meaning they can change the outcome of a teams future. How has Vance Joseph in Denver worked out? Jack Del Rio in Oakland? Sean McDermott in Buffalo? John Fox in Chicago? Adam Gase in Miami? Kyle Shannahan in SF? Tod Bowles in New York? Bill O'Brien in Houston?

All I'm saying is that most coaches are JAG. They are "just a guy." I don't really see another coach coming in here and completely turning us back into a SB contender.

It doesn't matter becasue we aren't moving on from Pete anytime soon unless PC chooses to retire. Very rarely do you see winning franchises that have had as much success as us in the past few years fire a coach.

For every historic coach there is a decent coach who took someone else’s roster and won a super bowl

Mike Shanahan
John Gruden
Brian Billick

And Dan Quinn came really close.

Sometimes all you need is change. I think PC’s best days are behind him.

Mike Shanahan built the 97-98 Super Bowl Broncos over 4 seasons. Billick took over a Ravens team that had never won more than 6 games and Had them a playoff regular for his 8 seasons with the team.