Pete has to go

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":csw9xsku said:
Siouxhawk":csw9xsku said:
Threedee":csw9xsku said:
I've never been concerned with the penalties. My complaints with Pete have mostly to do with the various failed Vikings that he constantly employs (Bevell, Harvin, Walsh) and his NOLine philosophy.
Since when did a coach that wins nearly 70% of the time get lumped into a "failed" category? I'll give you Harvin ... but even he contributed to a Super Bowl-winning season ... but most of those former Vikings had a place on the team. I liked Farwell, and he's still part of the squad as a special teams coach.

Where do you get this "nearly 70%" number you keep erroneously throwing out every other post?? Under Carroll, the Seahawks are 76-45-1 in the regular season. 62.5%. Very good obviously but nowhere near 70%.
More accurately, since Bevell came on board in 2011, the Hawks have compiled a record of 77-42-1, a 65% W-L record. That winning pace blossomed to 69% (71-32-1) when Russell came on board. Other than the Patriots and maybe the Packers, has any other team had that kind of success in the same time period?

NJlargent

Reaction score
It is amazing how dismissive people are of our talent level when evaluating the coaches. The relevant question is whether 10 wins with this talent level is impressive.

sutz

Reaction score
Meh...sounds a lot like what we did to George Karl. Firing him started the downfall that led to the Sonics leaving town.

Not ready to jump on the "fire Pete" bandwagon just yet.

SchadenfreudeHawk

Reaction score
There's the old Branch Rickey line that it's better to trade a player a year too early than a year to late and I think that this applies to firing coaches as well. Pete did a great job building a championship team but that team has been on a slow decline ever since. Heck, it's a sign of how good of a job that he did that the decline has been so gradual. But the cliff is just a few foot steps away and we are about to fall off it. Now, some of you may think that Pete has what it takes to rebuild the franchise again but I just don't see it. Pete has his worldview and is going to stick to it. We are going to have an absolutely brutal off season with tons of players to re-sign, potential retirements that will both deplete talent and drain our cap of needed space, and very little draft capital. I get that Pete worked miracles from 2010 to 2012 to build the roster which is now declining, but what has he done since? Since we won Super Bowl, what has he done to inspire the confidence that he can make this team a viable contender into the future?

Exittium

Reaction score
seanmatt":14fkutrn said:
There's the old Branch Rickey line that it's better to trade a player a year too early than a year to late and I think that this applies to firing coaches as well. Pete did a great job building a championship team but that team has been on a slow decline ever since. Heck, it's a sign of how good of a job that he did that the decline has been so gradual. But the cliff is just a few foot steps away and we are about to fall off it. Now, some of you may think that Pete has what it takes to rebuild the franchise again but I just don't see it. Pete has his worldview and is going to stick to it. We are going to have an absolutely brutal off season with tons of players to re-sign, potential retirements that will both deplete talent and drain our cap of needed space, and very little draft capital. I get that Pete worked miracles from 2010 to 2012 to build the roster which is now declining, but what has he done since? Since we won Super Bowl, what has he done to inspire the confidence that he can make this team a viable contender into the future?
Agreed, otherwise if our talent level wasn’t where it was, we’d be looking like the Broncos. On the flip side.. it’s sad because we have that much talent and have seen a decline based off A LOT of piss poor misuse of talent (offensive) and now defensively (Richards) and time management, timeouts, challenges, fake fgs....... Letting go is stable players I.e Reece, Freeney, Greaham, Houschka, just so someone could have thier “toy” on the team, aka, Percy, Graham and in return we loose some talented players Tate, Houschka... /semi rant /semi sarcasm

Atradees

Reaction score
It would be great to see a plan for Russell Wilson. He is a great talent that is being pigeon holed into miracle plays. An offensive system that seems to consistently regress.....some sort of change is sorely needed.

sdog1981

Reaction score
Pete is a master motivator he is not an X's and O's guy. He needs his Norm Chow type guy to run the offense to take pressure off the defense. If he won't shake up the offensive coaching staff then he will retire/fired after 2018. How many of you remember the cliff the team fell off after the 2007 season? A kind of old team got really old and went from 10-6 to 4-12. They acted like 2008 was a fluke so instead of building for the future they thought they were only one player away from getting back to competing they went 5-11 in 2009.

hawknation2017

Reaction score
sdog1981":dq2vr2vs said:
Pete is a master motivator he is not an X's and O's guy. He needs his Norm Chow type guy to run the offense to take pressure off the defense. If he won't shake up the offensive coaching staff then he will retire/fired after 2018. How many of you remember the cliff the team fell off after the 2007 season? A kind of old team got really old and went from 10-6 to 4-12. They acted like 2008 was a fluke so instead of building for the future they thought they were only one player away from getting back to competing they went 5-11 in 2009.

And yet he built a defensive scheme that has been one of the most dominant in NFL history. Go figure.

hawknation2017

Reaction score
I think the solution here is obvious: cut your noses off. Your faces are getting old anyway and you are all clearly on a slow decline.

So, cut your nose off to spite your face.

:sarcasm_off:

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":777ycnt1 said:
oldhawkfan":777ycnt1 said:
SanDiegoSeahawk":777ycnt1 said:
I predict some day we're going to look back at the PC years as the "golden age" of the Seahawks. We've got a good thing going here, its not perfect but its been consistently better than anything we've EVER had. Change is not always a good thing. When Holmgren left and we brought in Jim Mora Jr., I was ready for a "fresh upgrade". That's not what we got.

Pete stays or we riot.

"Some day" is now. There is absolutely no question that this is the golden age of Seahawks football. As far,as I'm concerned, Pete can stay as long as he likes.

Such weird philosophy. "You've done well for us so all your responsibility hence forth is gone, do what you like." Some of you guys are turning Pete into a demi-god.

Also the Jim Mora age didn't last that long, did it? And seriously if anyone bought into that garbage to begin with, well, you deserved to be disappointed.

There's nothing weird about it. Sustained perfection is impossible. I think PC has more than earned the opportunity and time to have a chance to work through things. Your hyperbole is silly. Giving the guy some credit and the benefit of the doubt (and some patience) does not equate to bestowing "demi-god" status on him.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
I think I have finally figured out the thought process of those fans that want Pete fired or a non playoff season. I believe that they are thinking that a football team is like a computer. What do you do when your computer is slow and not performing to expectations? You reboot it. A football team doesn't work like that. If a "reboot" of the coaching staff or non playoffs for better draft position guaranteed future success, then by all means, do it. Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way. Success in sports is best found in consistency. When Paul Allen bought this team, he said he wanted a team that was consistently competitive. He has that and has had it for most of the 18 seasons he has owned the team.

I'm reminded of a fishing story my dad told me many years ago:
Every time someone caught a fish, a certain fisherman would go to that side of the boat where the fish was caught and cast his line there. He spent more time moving around the boat and from side to side than he did actually fishing and perfecting his craft.

This staff and this team has proven that they can win the big one. Maybe a little tweaking here and there added with some non injury luck and this team is right in the hunt. No need to throw it all out or reboot in hopes that someone else might be able to do it. A couple of lucky bounces, a couple of made FGs, a couple of non injuries and this team is right in the thick of it for the number one seed. $h*t happens. Deal with it. Or as Chuck Knox liked to say, "you play the hand you're dealt". But please don't think unplugging the whole thing and restarting will automatically get us back up to speed. I'm not ready to go back to the days of just hoping that maybe they might get lucky and win a few games.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
I think I have finally figured out the thought process of those fans that want Pete fired or a non playoff season. I believe that they are thinking that a football team is like a computer. What do you do when your computer is slow and not performing to expectations? You reboot it. A football team doesn't work like that. If a "reboot" of the coaching staff or non playoffs for better draft position guaranteed future success, then by all means, do it. Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way. Success in sports is best found in consistency. When Paul Allen bought this team, he said he wanted a team that was consistently competitive. He has that and has had it for most of the 18 seasons he has owned the team.

Every time someone caught a fish, a certain fisherman would go to that side of the boat where the fish was caught and cast his line there. He spent more time moving around the boat and from side to side than he did actually fishing and perfecting his craft.

This staff and this team has proven that they can win the big one. Maybe a little tweaking here and there added with some non injury luck and this team is right in the hunt. No need to throw it all out or reboot in hopes that someone else might be able to do it. A couple of lucky bounces, a couple of made FGs, a couple of non injuries and this team is right in the thick of it for the number one seed. $h*t happens. Deal with it. Or as Chuck Knox liked to say, "you play the hand you're dealt". But please don't think unplugging the whole thing and restarting will automatically get us back up to speed. I'm not ready to go back to the days of just hoping that maybe they might get lucky and win a few games.

chris98251

Reaction score
oldhawkfan":2qpj1rp7 said:

But Coaches get comfortable, they get predictable, the league catch's up to them if they are not continually innovative in aspects of the game, doesn't have to be big just adjust to what other teams have figured out. You can do it like we did a simplistic scheme on defense done really well with really good players picked up for a specific role, or scheme like on offense where we have failed because the players are not performing or are wrong for their roles. The problem on defense is were aging and injured, on offense we have a scheme that requires a special type of player at RB and a special type of lineman to work. We don't have either right now across the board.

We have not adjusted anything is our issue unless the arm is twisted behind our back on game day, then we revert back, that's more the issue then any individual I think, the problem is the person calling these shots is the one that has to adapt and that's Pete.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
NJlargent":1vo1bzyp said:
It is amazing how dismissive people are of our talent level when evaluating the coaches. The relevant question is whether 10 wins with this talent level is impressive.

It's amazing how Seahawk fans over-rate the talent on their team.

Sure, in March it looked great but this is November and our roster looks like this:
1) A defensive backfield consisting of a rookie, a almost traded underperforming vet, a cast-off from Miami, A Cast off from NE, A decent backup safety and an injured all-pro
2) A solid defensive line rotation
3) A couple stud LB'ers
4) A crap offensive line with a scheme everyone has figured out
5) A RB crew minus its 2 best players in Carson and Procise
6) A solid but undersized receiving crew
7) A TE that is his own worst enemy at times
8) A short QB that bails from the pocket too much, but is still the only reason we win half the time

The Rams roster is better than ours. The Eagles roster is better than ours. The Falcons roster is better than ours.

We've lost Sherman, Chancellor, Avril, Carson, Procise, MC Dowell for the season. That's a solid group of starters gone. Arizona lost David Johnson and fell apart.

We won a SB because we were healthier than the other team and lost a couple SB's because we weren't. Ignoring injuries is foolish because its quite apparent to anyone that watched football that they are likely the biggest factor in any winning and losing season. That and QB play.

The roster with all our injuries is pretty league average.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
You guys keep throwing "average" out there to describe our current roster. I got news for you.... our current roster is well below league "average". It was slightly above average before we lost the starters!

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
oldhawkfan":1l4c8z5o said:

Thanks for this post. Nothing truer has been conveyed on . Net.

hawknation2017

Reaction score
This thread should probably be locked. It is absolute lunacy that has run its course.