Pete is in wake up mode

chris98251

Reaction score
Change the O line coach to one that understands the concepts of blocking needed for Waldron's offense, plodders don't pass protect well for that passing attack, you need guys that can also get out for the screens etc.

Change defense philosophy to be more current and attacking, I think he will still try to use his bend don't break a lot but he knows he has to make a look that's different.

This is to pacify Jody, Russell, and a more balanced possession game.

hgwellz12

Reaction score
In a lofty place tanglin' with Satan over history.
I 've been thinking about this on and off all day since hearing about the hiring of the bruh from the Bears...Desai. Maybe Nate or Brennan were able to sit him down for a heart to heart. And maybe Glenna helped her boys break it down to him that if he truly and sincerely want to "ride into the sunset" as a winner on his own terms, then maybe it would be a good idea for him to reevaluate his personnel in conjunction with what his realistic goals are for the very near future. He actually does strike me as "old man stubborn", but values what he's instilled in his boys/their X&Os acumen.

Hell, whatever the case, since he's staying, this shift is looking like a best case scenario. And I'm ALL FOR IT!
Now he just needs to not bullsheet away whatever picks we end up with...and massage the living hell outta the cap.

#GoHawks & Cheers! :irishdrinkers:

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
chris98251":3w3oz5qb said:
Change the O line coach to one that understands the concepts of blocking needed for Waldron's offense, plodders don't pass protect well for that passing attack, you need guys that can also get out for the screens etc.

Change defense philosophy to be more current and attacking, I think he will still try to use his bend don't break a lot but he knows he has to make a look that's different.

It'll be shocking how much everything will stay the same though. (not really)

toffee

Reaction score
chris98251":16s0dufd said:

One the receiving end of:
Jody Allen

olyfan63

Reaction score
Going 7-10, and at one point being 3-8 is what woke Pete up, that his schitt just isn't working, that he needs to adapt and modernize. He realized he's run out of time to be overly loyal to underperforming assistants.

If only it hadn't taken this long for Pete to wake up. He won just enough to think, "this could still be made to work" and avoid making the dramatic changes needed. That changed this last season.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
People can change.

They rarely do.

It will be great to see it. Fingers crossed.

I just don't know if Pete is the sharp knife he once was though.

It isn't enough to be good, you have to be better than your peers. Our roster isn't exceptional anymore. The literal only advantage we have is at QB, maybe WR.

Watch us institute a run-heavy game to take advantage of that. Hopefully not.

Throwdown

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":20mr0qw4 said:
People can change.

They rarely do.

It isn't enough to be good, you have to be better than your peers. Our roster isn't exceptional anymore. The literal only advantage we have is at QB, maybe WR.

I hope we do go run heavy so we can consistently move the chains. This passing 30-40 times a game isn’t doing that at all.

seabowl

Reaction score
Throwdown":3anma27d said:
TwistedHusky":3anma27d said:
People can change.

They rarely do.

I hope we do go run heavy so we can consistently move the chains. This passing 30-40 times a game isn’t doing that at all.

Going lighter on the OL doesn’t bode well for a strong running attack.

Throwdown

Reaction score
seabowl":85gp9pda said:
Throwdown":85gp9pda said:
TwistedHusky":85gp9pda said:
People can change.

They rarely do.

Going lighter on the OL doesn’t bode well for a strong running attack.

Depends on the scheme, the rams were very effective runners up until this year.

We did see a lot more of the concepts come alive last year with curhan at RT and Pennys new found confidence. It’s not out of the question that we can have the run game help Russ not suck on 3rd down.

nwHawk

Reaction score
This really isn’t a shock, it’s more of a modified return to where he tried to start with Alex Gibbs. Sans the cut blocking. I think we saw a glimpse of it the last couple of games this past year. It’s a really smart shift.

I do think that Pete has been experimenting with new systems over the past few years, but the results having worked out. Hopefully, these changes and a renewed focus on being what the Hawks need to be will get us back to the playoffs next season.

John63

Reaction score
Throwdown":1f8by21m said:
TwistedHusky":1f8by21m said:
People can change.

They rarely do.

Neither has run the ball in the last several years. One of the reasons we are seeing a lot of 3rd. is because of our run game. What we did last 2 games is that it should be a mix and most importantly motion and movement to keep the defense off-balance.

We don't want run-heavy, that si predictable, we want motion and movement off of anything we do.

nwHawk

Reaction score
If you can’t run, you ain’t winning nothing. Matt Ryan, Matt Stafford (Lions) and many other pass heavy QB/offenses haven’t had much success. We need to get creative and limit Russ to 25 pass attempts per game. Run 1st offense doesn’t have to be predictable. But offensive line must do a better job of creating seems and running lanes. Create disruption and force the defense to expend a lot of energy. Get them on their heels and then let Russ take his shots.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
I think most fans see the value of running. I also think many fans get frustrated when it looks like we are purposely running into a brick wall 3 times only to then punt the ball. So maybe we successfully run the ball? Everyone would be happy. How to do that? No clue.

John63

Reaction score
nwHawk":cu75fa6v said:
If you can’t run, you ain’t winning nothing. Matt Ryan, Matt Stafford (Lions) and many other pass heavy QB/offenses haven’t had much success. We need to get creative and limit Russ to 25 pass attempts per game. Run 1st offense doesn’t have to be predictable. But offensive line must do a better job of creating seems and running lanes. Create disruption and force the defense to expend a lot of energy. Get them on their heels and then let Russ take his shots.

I agree with all but the limit to 25 passes. The 2 teams in the SB were bottom half if the league in rushing and top half in passing. What they do have is an unpredictable offense.

Fade

Reaction score
Pete's still behind. 49ers & Rams have superior staffs.

Pete in many seasons has tried new things, and every time at the first sign of adversity he falls back to what he is comfortable with.

1) Rope-a-dope.

2) Vanilla 3 deep coverage on defense. Giving easy reads to the opposing QB, not giving them anything deep, but letting them have everything else. Can't get off the field as a result, hang on, survive.

3) Simplified offense, run it up the gut, chuck it deep, cool with punting. As long as the score is close and you're not turning it over, it's a win in Pete's book.

The major problems with 2 and 3 is predictability. It makes it too easy on opponents, and too hard for your players to perform. The young coaches in the league take an opposite approach. They try to mask every thing they are doing so you can't get a bead on what is coming next.

Some examples:

McVay likes to run all of his plays out of every formation and does his best to make it all looks the same. So you cannot tell if it is a run? pass? PA? to the left? Right? Blending motion and tempo it can cripple opponents and when it is going well defenses have to go simple so to not have any busts.

On defense, what has become the new thing the last couple of seasons is showing 2 high coverage presnap, but on any given play the safeties are going to rotate and play a different coverage post snap. Confusing the QB, which creates more turnovers and sacks. The Seahawks were abysmal in this area and it's why Norton was fired. They played hard on defense as a unit, but they were so schematically outclassed it was laughable. Anyone who said the defense was good last year got exposed, as well.

Pete Carroll gonna Pete Carroll in the end, unfortunately. Week 1 will be awesome though, or until Pete pulls the plug.

John63

Reaction score
Fade":3b721n8v said:

Pete in many seasons has tried new things, and every time at the first sign of adversity he falls back to what he is comfortable with.

1) Rope-a-dope.

2) Vanilla 3 deep coverage on defense. Giving easy reads to the opposing QB, not giving them anything deep, but letting them have everything else. Can't get off the field as a result, hang on, survive.

3) Simplified offense, run it up the gut, chuck it deep, cool with punting. As long as the score is close and you're not turning it over, it's a win in Pete's book.

The major problems with 2 and 3 is predictability. It makes it too easy on opponents, and too hard for your players to perform. The young coaches in the league take an opposite approach. They try to mask every thing they are doing so you can't get a bead on what is coming next.

Some examples:

McVay likes to run all of his plays out of every formation and does his best to make it all looks the same. So you cannot tell if it is a run? pass? PA? to the left? Right? Blending motion and tempo it can cripple opponents and when it is going well defenses have to go simple so to not have any busts.

On defense, what has become the new thing the last couple of seasons is showing 2 high coverage presnap, but on any given play the safeties are going to rotate and play a different coverage post snap. Confusing the QB, which creates more turnovers and sacks. The Seahawks were abysmal in this area and it's why Norton was fired. They played hard on defense as a unit, but they were so schematically outclassed it was laughable. Anyone who said the defense was good last year got exposed, as well.

Pete Carroll gonna Pete Carroll in the end, unfortunately. Week 1 will be awesome though, or until Pete pulls the plug.

This^^^^

keasley45

Reaction score
I dont see why it has to be a mandate from Jody. Pete has been shifting the defensive strategy for two years now and on offense, has been playing a backwards game of chicken with Russ over what the identity of the team should be.

I think last year settled that.

I expect us to be more balanced on offense again and lean on the run.

On defense, I see us getting back to more reactive, aggressive ball with our young talent and settling on on the new hybrid front they've been trying to play but were sidetracked by last year when Reed left, Aldon bombed, and w[vine][/vine]e never solidified an interior rush.

I think Pete sees these next few years as the last opportunity to win a championship, but more so maybe realizes that it might not happen while he's here. Doesn't mean he can't set the table nicely and bring on guys who are young, buy into the philosophy, but are innovative so they can give it legs in the future. Norton wasn't that and Solari didn't match what Waldron wants.

Hurtt is a guy who's bought in and gets it. Desai is a motivational marvel and smart D guy.

These dont smell of a reactive, 'slap on the hand' moves. They're measured and logical.

We just wasted the potential the last two years held on a bunch of unfortunate BS and luck. That window has shut. The next year or two will see how far the next one can open before Pete hangs them up.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Fade":11s2v5g6 said:

1) Rope-a-dope.

Some examples:

Correct

I feel bad for the fans that think next season is going to be so different in scheme. I've watched this team too long to believe it,

Tical21

Reaction score
Fade":1zgmq4gb said:

1) Rope-a-dope.

Some examples:

Nurse Betty. You're Nurse Betty. You've built this whole world view based on completely delusional thinking.

Second half of the year, we rotated MOFO to MOFC often.

When did we ever in the past several years run it up the gut and chuck it deep. And I'm sorry you can't see it, but the inability to have a more functional passing game is zero percent Pete's doing. Zero.

The defense was quite good after Pete took the reigns back. Top 5 in scoring, top 10 in yards. Who is being exposed now?

Latest posts