Pete Is Officially Pissed Off

cymatica

Reaction score
No he's not.

I give him full credit for putting together the best roster in the 21st century. After that his tenure was a disaster. He had so much more talent than any opponent, it could mask the issues, but the issues were always there.
I think he was a great leader until he won 48. Everything changed from that off-season forward. When he first arrived, he was cutthroat. Him and John had the most roster turnover in history of I'm not mistaken. They were signing and releasing players like crazy trying to build what they wanted. They spent a ton on the oline and Pete was not afraid to cut ties with players he knew from USC. He built a team of misfits and it was a perfect fit for the disrespected south Alaska team.

Unfortunately, Pete lost the edge and hasn't been able to regain it.

soxhawk

Reaction score
Pete actually calling out players atleast shows hes willing to try a new approach. Even if it sounds petty and hes trying to save his job. it shows hes willing to do whatever it takes. Even if it is alarming, it feels refreshing. The next step is benching and cutting players that dont buy in. My problem with Pete till this point was not instilling some accountability in players, if he has to take it to the media to do this then so be it. It may be late but I dont think its too late. Ill give Pete till after the eagles game to decide whether its too little.
This is not his style. It's desperation

olyfan63

Reaction score
Probably needs (and is being discussed extensively in) it's own thread, but it seems like Clint Hurtt is overmatched in his DC role. I don't know if it's a scheme/experience issue, or a player motivation/kick-ass/effort/precision issue.

I just know that giving up 9.9 yards per play on average is a piss-poor showing, even against the 49er juggernaut. That's on top of being shredded by the Dallas offense the week before.

One of Pete's major failings, in the opinion of many here, including me, has been Pete's unwavering loyalty to underperforming coordinators, especially DCs, KNJ comes to mind.

Also in the mix, last year with Sean Desai, and different concepts, do we have a confused scheme now, halfway between Desai concepts and Carroll concepts? Are players confused where they can't "play fast and together" like the LOB years?

keasley45

Reaction score
Yeah Idk what this means, or how Pete magically makes his players more disciplined overnight.

You do that by benching people's asses and put in players who do listen and don't make the same mental mistakes over and over. Problem is it's half the roster.

So until Pete benches most of his defensive backfield, half his LB corp and a couple serial mistake prone O-lineman and WR's? Lip service is just that, Pete talking tough to absolve himself. Which IMO is lame and weak.

Remember when Pete lost half the locker room with all the "kumbaya" whispers and on field tantrums by guys who were tired of listening to Pete?

That's where were at with most of the players Pete's talking about.

I agree that if he goes this road, he has to do it firmly, and fairly. If guys are continually off assignment and the assignments are something they should know and work, there should be consequences.

But this isn't like the LOB implosion. That happened because there was a standard of excellence that was blemished by Pete excusing lack of performance. Now, it's that the lack of performance hasn't been demanded enough and where in the LOB days, accountability and excellence were baked in the cake, he's going to have to add it in.

The ultimate question though is how much of the issue is the players not doing their jobs, and how much is the job not being possible.

Wr haven't been the same without Uchena which speaks to talent.

Our safeties are subpar, which is difficult to evaluate because in pass coverage, our LB are so bad. I feel they get caught in no man's land trying to fortify the middle ad much as they are making huge mistakes. They can't roam the way they should if they are constantly cheating the middle to help Bobby.

You take KJs assessment that it's the guys and not the scheme... I think that has to mean something. But I'm frustrated as well at the unwillingness then to just adapt the scheme more to address the weaknesses. But maybe that's what they are doing and it's still not working. Don't honestly know. All I do know is you can't evaluate it correctly unless the guys are executing it at 100% efficiency.

But overall, I think Pete is showing his emotion for those players on the team that are also upset at subpar play.
DK is angry because he's legit balling and giving 150percent on every play of late. He seems to have stepped it up. Brooks is furious. Witherspoon also has a standard that is higher than the mean. Williams and Reed are balling as well.

Pete is stepping in to try to send a message to the core guys that whatever BS might be seeping into the lockeroom won't be tolerated. Losing is one thing. Losing because you are half stepping is something else.

strohmin

Reaction score
He didn’t just coddle Russ he coddled the LOB guys too. Sherman was calling out the OC publicly in back to back games and was allowed to do it. It baffles me people forget this. Earl did weird stuff, browner, Bennett, Sherman etc they were all spoiled in a sense
I have no problem with Sherm calling out what he thinks is stupid playcalling. Atleast he cared about winning more than anyone on this current team does. I would have respected Russell if he did this as well instead of acting like everything is sunshine and rainbows when its not. If he wants to live his life always positive then good for him but this is a competitive sport and sometimes leaders need to get in peoples faces and let them know they need to be better. Plus there are plenty of players that came out and said Pete would call out players during film session except Russell. Russell was the most coddled.

themunn

Reaction score
I just know that giving up 9.9 yards per play on average is a piss-poor showing, even against the 49er juggernaut. That's on top of being shredded by the Dallas offense the week before.

Look yes, the defense didn't look great.

You've got to remember this is a 49ers team that was won 22 of it's last 26 - in the 4 losses they had 1) lost Purdy to injury early on (Eagles NFFCG), and 2) Without Deebo and Trent Williams.

This season they've scored 30 points in 8 of their 10 wins. The other 2 they scored 27 (TB) and 28 (Seattle).

Over the last 22 wins they've scored 30 points in 16 of them. 2 of the 6 games where they scored less than 30 were us.

I'm not making excuses for the big plays we're giving up, but I don't think fans on this board really realise just how good the 49ers (and Cowboys) offenses are.

keasley45

Reaction score
He didn’t just coddle Russ he coddled the LOB guys too. Sherman was calling out the OC publicly in back to back games and was allowed to do it. It baffles me people forget this. Earl did weird stuff, browner, Bennett, Sherman etc they were all spoiled in a sense

You are conflating having a soft hand toward personality vs having a soft hand on performance. Pete was and still will be more flexible toward guys being emotional. But in the early days he was a bit more hardcore. Remember Lendale White thinking he could come in and sleepwalk through practice ? Pete cut him right away and that set an example. Lendale was Petes dude from his USC days. Everyone thought he was a shoe-in. In the beginning, Pete had a standard. He created the expectation and the players upheld it. Emotional tantrums had nothing to do with the play on the field. Pete screwed up in not upholding the PERORMANCE expectation across the board. If your leader isn't going to mandate that everybody maintain the standard, then why should anyone do it. In that way, his stepping up now is doing what he should have done in 2014 when the guys who were carrying the team and the standard for accountability felt abandoned by Pete. His statements yesterday let the guys on the team now who are balling out and furious know he's with them and not ok with players slacking and not performing.

hawker84

Reaction score
You don't blame your players for not doing the correct things on the field. It's week 14 for Christ's sake, if your players aren't doing the correct things, that's on you and your coaches Pete.

The "miscommunication" and "we aren't on the same page" excuse is so lame and tired. What other teams, even college have you heard these same excuses year after year?

Pete runs a loose locker room full of knuckleheads who he's enabled to to play his undisciplined style of football........and now he's blaming the players? That's terrible man. Blame yourself Pete.
💯

RiverDog

Reaction score
Look yes, the defense didn't look great.

You've got to remember this is a 49ers team that was won 22 of it's last 26 - in the 4 losses they had 1) lost Purdy to injury early on (Eagles NFFCG), and 2) Without Deebo and Trent Williams.

This season they've scored 30 points in 8 of their 10 wins. The other 2 they scored 27 (TB) and 28 (Seattle).

Over the last 22 wins they've scored 30 points in 16 of them. 2 of the 6 games where they scored less than 30 were us.

I'm not making excuses for the big plays we're giving up, but I don't think fans on this board really realise just how good the 49ers (and Cowboys) offenses are.
Sure, the Niners and Cowboys have great offenses. And you can toss in the Ravens, too. And the Lions. All of those teams have great offenses that put up 30+ on our defense.

But then you have a couple of completely dysfunctional teams like the 1-12 Panthers that we gave up 27 points to and the 4-9 Commanders who we had to depend on a walk off FG to beat in large part because our defense surrendered two TD's in the 4th quarter in our house.

Bottom line is that we've played 11 games and this defense is one of the 5 worst in the league both in terms of points and yards surrendered. That's pretty hard to rationalize by singling out two teams.

Last edited:

themunn

Reaction score
Sure, the Niners and Cowboys have great offenses. And you can toss in the Ravens, too. And the Lions. All of those teams have great offenses that put up 30+ on our defense.

But then you have a couple of completely dysfunctional teams like the 1-12 Panthers that we gave up 27 points to and the 4-9 Commanders who we had to depend on a walk off FG to beat in large part because our defense surrendered two TD's in the 4th quarter in our house.

Bottom line is that we've played 11 games and this defense is one of the 5 worst in the league both in terms of points and yards surrendered. That's pretty hard to rationalize by singling out two teams.

There is definitely something to say about our 4th quarter struggles - on both sides of the ball. Games against the Bengals, Rams and Cowboys that could easily have been won if we'd had one better offensive/defensive drive, or even Sunday where we put the game within reach in the 4th quarter only to give it away 5 plays letter then shit the bed offensively for the rest of the game.

It is a what have you done for me lately league, and unfortunately our last 6 games have resulted in games against 5 top 10 offenses (yes the Rams have even snuck in there now), and even the Commanders are a middle of the pack (16th) ranked team.

That doesn't mean that it's acceptable for us to keep allowing so many points, but also at times all you need is a "get right" game to change the trajectory.

Whether Pete is right or not to call out Adams and Love remains to be seen - it's not his MO to publicly call out players - but we hear all he did was get it wrong by not holding RW3 accountable for his play, and we have no idea what's going on behind closed doors, so for Pete to come out and do this looks to me not like a last roll of the dice but definitely a last kick up the rear. It's likely that he's been holding them accountable in team meetings and pointing out their play, but if at some point they aren't executing what they've practiced and it's resulting in losses then we will find out if either:

A: Pete has lost the dressing room completely and has started throwing random players on the bus (very unlikely)
B: The rest of the team feels like certain players are letting them down and Pete is demonstrating that they will be held accountable (much more likely)

Ozzy

Reaction score
I have no problem with Sherm calling out what he thinks is stupid playcalling. Atleast he cared about winning more than anyone on this current team does. I would have respected Russell if he did this as well instead of acting like everything is sunshine and rainbows when its not. If he wants to live his life always positive then good for him but this is a competitive sport and sometimes leaders need to get in peoples faces and let them know they need to be better. Plus there are plenty of players that came out and said Pete would call out players during film session except Russell. Russell was the most coddled.
You make some valid points. I’m just going to have a hard time believing a Sherman over Pete and I think the idea he was coddled when Sherman, Baldwin and others weren’t is greatly exaggerated. Some of it was ridiculous, QB’s as a whole are coddled and I truly believe a lot of it was jealousy and arrogance from some of the guys I listed. Sherman is my favorite on field Seahawk as well so I’m not playing favorites.

But again I think you make some valid points too. This stuff is nuanced

strohmin

Reaction score
You make some valid points. I’m just going to have a hard time believing a Sherman over Pete and I think the idea he was coddled when Sherman, Baldwin and others weren’t is greatly exaggerated. Some of it was ridiculous, QB’s as a whole are coddled and I truly believe a lot of it was jealousy and arrogance from some of the guys I listed. Sherman is my favorite on field Seahawk as well so I’m not playing favorites.

But again I think you make some valid points too. This stuff is nuanced
Yeah Sherman has lied about some things so sometimes I dont trust what he says but Kj Wright himself said it on his podcast how the film studies actually were. If you hear how Belicheck would rip Brady's play in film study in front of every player, you see why he was respected. Randy Moss also stated he thought Brady would be coddled but he witnessed how Belicheck would just tear the man down in film session. Then you compare it to what Kj Wright said about how Russell was treated during film study. QBs are coddled but you gotta call them out when they arent playing upto expectations.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
The same Sherm who told a local reporter that he would ruin his career. On audio and video. Then went on to tell everyone that it didn't happen.
I'm not sure that Sherm is the best source for accuracy.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Pete is stepping in to try to send a message to the core guys that whatever BS might be seeping into the lockeroom won't be tolerated. Losing is one thing. Losing because you are half stepping is something else.

I see it as the opposite of this. I see a supremely frustrated head coach who's lost much of his locker room and is taking it out now publicly because he doesn't know what else to do.

Players don't all of a sudden do an accountability 180 in week 14.

Maybe they'll turn it around the last four weeks, but I doubt it. This is a hot mess soft ass team who is tuning out their coaches, and really has been since the Baltimore beat down.

Jac

Reaction score
Being pissed off and holding players accountable is fine, but it's just a piece of a bigger puzzle. The game plans still should be creative, play to our strengths, and be adaptive. The players should all be coached up and play disciplined. Our salary cap and draft capital should be protected. We should be drafting a QB every year (and occasionally near the top of the draft). The team's leadership is just past its expiration date. It's not going to be easy to find new leadership that will deliver a SB obviously, but I think it's fair to say that our current regime just can't in today's environment.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I see it as the opposite of this. I see a supremely frustrated head coach who's lost much of his locker room and is taking it out now publicly because he doesn't know what else to do.

Players don't all of a sudden do an accountability 180 in week 14.

Maybe they'll turn it around the last four weeks, but I doubt it. This is a hot mess soft ass team who is tuning out their coaches, and really has been since the Baltimore beat down.
I think they may end up winning out or winning 3 of 4 which will only extend the problem another year.

Latest posts