PFT Bennet to sign with Bears....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
Natethegreat":g6rxhebs said:
Coug_Hawk08":g6rxhebs said:
Upside is 3rd round comp for a relatively cheap 1 year deal?
That and a lombardi trophy.

Haha, truth. But he just played a part. Tip o' the cap for sure.

JKent82

Reaction score
Coug_Hawk08":1b8ewqnk said:

Between him and Golden we should have a nice set up for next years draft. Assuming we don't go too crazy signing people after the market goes to crap after the first few days again. Gotta think the players that don't land a huge contract will want to bet on themselves here.

And we'll actually get to have third round pick probably!

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Kind of bummed about this, I wonder if they cut Peppers now? Chicago is going to be good next year.

brettb3

Reaction score
Wenhawk":123usjy7 said:
Kind of bummed about this, I wonder if they cut Peppers now? Chicago is going to be good next year.
If they sign Bennett they'll have to cut Peppers.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
Wenhawk":224yq4pt said:

Cutler. Jay, Cutler.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
I'll believe it when it's signed.

This the the real first test of the Win Forever philosophy. In order to do that, you have to reload with players. I heard it last year, just as I've heard it this year. The notion that this team is so stacked, we should trade quantity for quality draft picks isn't true. Seattle needs volume of picks. Because if we are going to put together the program that the theory prescribes, then we are really looking at 3-4 similar Michael Bennett defections each year going forward.

Wright.
Wagner.
Maxwell.
Avril.
Tate.
Baldwin.
Lynch.

All these guys will have to be replaced and soon. Some already have contingency plans. But realistically, Seattle has to view any 2015 UFA as a position of need. If Bennett walks, we're reloading from within. But we have to continue to add players there. Not all are going to stick. So volume of picks is necessary.

Ultimately, I would imagine that if the offseason transitions go according to design, Seattle should be getting 2 to 3 comp picks each year, with a couple in the 3-6 round range. Losing UFAs and turning to guys we already have on the roster waiting their turn. 3-4 year turnover on most positions. That kind of thing.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Coug_Hawk08":3213h998 said:
Wenhawk":3213h998 said:

Cutler. Jay, Cutler.
Cutler is a decent QB, doubt he ever wins a SB but he can lead Chi to the playoffs. If he hadn't got injured they would have been in the playoffs.

davidonmi

Reaction score
superdeluxe":2bz77qxo said:
So... Johnson/Houston/Allen/Melton?
I doubt they sign johnson or houston, too many contracts upcoming.
Allen and Melton as for sure possibilities.
I still don't but the people saying Clemons will not be back

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
Wenhawk":3j7bwqdr said:
Coug_Hawk08":3j7bwqdr said:
Wenhawk":3j7bwqdr said:

Cutler. Jay, Cutler.
Cutler is a decent QB, doubt he ever wins a SB but he can lead Chi to the playoffs. If he hadn't got injured they would have been in the playoffs.

Didn't seem like they missed a beat with McCown. I remember when he was coming back from injury and everyone was like, should they really switch back to cutler?

QuahHawk

Reaction score
On the comp pick front. We could see plenty next year. With Bennett, Tate, and WT3 all potentially getting big contracts. Giacomini and Mcdonald could get big contacts to. If we bring in a few replacements on 1 or 2 yeast deals we should see at least a 3rd or 4th. Maybe we figure this and trade or 3rd from next season to help us get a 3rd this year.

kearly

Reaction score
Coug_Hawk08":3qer0s75 said:

Service time and postseason awards factor heavily into the formula, and Seattle would wipe out any gains by signing a veteran free agent. Not counting chickens there. Could get a decent haul though if Seattle loses a ton of players.

DPAnders

Reaction score
I don't get the people saying Chicago is going to be good next year...Did you see their defense this year? They couldn't even make the playoffs when Rodgers was out for half the season (i know Culter was also hurt, but IMO McCown greatly outplayed him). Good luck to Bennett if true, but they have ALOT of holes on that defense.

Reaction score
VancitySeahawk":29ynq798 said:
A player choosing more money over a lot of money and another chance at something special.

Good for him.

More money to re-sign the real corner stones of our franchise (RW, ET and RS).
Yup. We all know they are more important to this team. I think we make a push for Tuck or Allen in this Free Agency to be honest.

tifferradish

Reaction score
I'm sorry, but that article reeks of reaching a bit too much. Does Chicago have interest? Sure. But that doesn't mean it's a slam dunk deal. There is too much speculation in the words, and assuming he will land there because of his brother, the fact that Peppers is pretty much done, and they might have the cap space to overpay him. But honestly, Seattle has just as much of a chance as any team. I really hope we can keep him, but I really hope we don't overpay.

kearly

Reaction score
davidonmi":1e5qpjfv said:
superdeluxe":1e5qpjfv said:
So... Johnson/Houston/Allen/Melton?
I doubt they sign johnson or houston, too many contracts upcoming.
Allen and Melton as for sure possibilities.
I still don't but the people saying Clemons will not be back

I know Melton has some red flags, but that's all the more reason he would be amenable to taking a 1 year prove it deal with Seattle. And if Bennett really is going to Chicago, then it speaks volumes about how they value Melton. I expect his market to be soft.

Houston is another guy I could see doing a 1 year prove it deal. Maybe a desperate team gives him the Desmond Bryant treatment, but his resume is too short for most teams to feel great about throwing $30+ million at him.

Allen is an obvious fit.

Johnson is the type of player profile that Seattle always seems to avoid in the draft, so his addition would surprise me. Sounds like he's going to be coveted highly by a few other teams anyway.

Crizilla

Reaction score
cutler is bad. Only 1 playoff win. And that came against sub 500 seahawks lol. Chicago is bad. I think its kinda lame Bennett wants so much money. Dude, you can still provide groceries and goodies for your kids by staying here

Status
Not open for further replies.