PFT Bennet to sign with Bears....

Status
Not open for further replies.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
kobebryant":1yxvbcjo said:
Crizilla":1yxvbcjo said:
cutler is bad. Only 1 playoff win. And that came against sub 500 seahawks lol. Chicago is bad. I think its kinda lame Bennett wants so much money. Dude, you can still provide groceries and goodies for your kids by staying here

I disagree. A man is entitled to earn as much as the market will pay for his talents, and there is nothing lame about it - he is a free American.

In Bennet's case he has yet to be paid relative to his ability, and entering the league as a UDFA had him making way less than a player of his quality should have been making. Dude has the opportunity to reflect upon his career having won a Super Bowl and cashed in on a massive payday - that's the ultimate dream. Not lame.
What are you disagreeing about?

1. Bennett being a short sighted fool who's all about a payday?
2. Cutler sucking balls.

Which is it? Given both are true. You will never hear of him in Chicago unless Tressman suddenly gets a clue about defense.... not likely.

Wartooth

Reaction score
King Dog":t407oyvb said:
The good news is that Tavaris Jackson wants to stay.

T.Jack is about the bling...He's been payed.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Any FA that signs as early as Tuesday is a serious threat to be overpaid. If Chicago has seriously put forth a "Godfather" offer that Bennett plans to accept as soon as FA opens, then it's probably not worth matching.

We'll see what happens. Best of luck to Michael Bennett either way. He has no roots here, and he already came to us on a discount once. Totally within his right to take the money.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
I don't blame the guy for wanting to get paid. Careers in the NFL are short, he helped us win the Lombardi and I thank him for that, the guy leaves a champion. I'm sure JS and PC have a solid plan B. If true this brings Jared Allen in play.
Next man up!

DavidSeven

Reaction score
We talk pretty callously about cutting players and demanding that they take paycuts. Everyone knows this FO is perhaps the most cutthroat in the NFL. Let's shelve the whole "loyalty" and "greed" talk. Given his age, this may be Mike Bennett's one and only big payday of his career.

Also, let's not pretend that Chicago is Jacksonville. Cool city, talented team. Plus, his brother is out there. Plenty of reasons to go there if they're willing to pay a lot more than Seattle.

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
Wartooth":1ofgy3wc said:
King Dog":1ofgy3wc said:
The good news is that Tavaris Jackson wants to stay.

T.Jack is about the bling...He's been payed.

He needs one of those Magic Johnson contracts so he can stay here and back up Wilson forever.

Appleegg1

Reaction score
Chicago....30th ranked defense.
Enjoy that extra million in defensive obscurity.

McGruff

Reaction score
HawkRiderFan":2zcaxv4b said:
Is there anyone out there or that we have on the roster currently that can bring what he brought? ie, playing inside in pass rush situations giving us that NASCAR package?

Greg Scruggs is the most obvious comparison, but also Jordan Hill and Mchael Brooks.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
DavidSeven":2l30nro8 said:
We talk pretty callously about cutting players and demanding that they take paycuts. Everyone knows this FO is perhaps the most cutthroat in the NFL. Let's shelve the whole "loyalty" and "greed" talk. Given his age, this may be Mike Bennett's one and only big payday of his career.

Also, let's not pretend that Chicago is Jacksonville. Cool city, talented team. Plus, his brother is out there. Plenty of reasons to go there if they're willing to pay a lot more than Seattle.
At least they will be. And Chicago isn't a good team as long as Cutler is there and Rodgers is in Green Bay. Sometimes it's just that simple.

VancitySeahawk

Reaction score
Appleegg1":3vleuqpp said:
Chicago....30th ranked defense.
Enjoy that extra million in defensive obscurity.

Enjoy having to go against Rodgers two times every year.

kearly

Reaction score
Lots of sulking little girls on .net right now. (Apologies to posters that are actual little girls.) I think Bennett's alleged departure is a pretty big kick to the balls for our offseason, but I have nothing but the best wishes for the guy. More than money factored into this. His brother recruited him. It reminds me a lot of how we lost Joe Jurevicius after 2005 because he'd always dreamed of playing for the team he grew up rooting for.

davidonmi":2ffsrrkm said:
kearly":2ffsrrkm said:
That reminds me, had Cutler lost that game a 7-9 team would have hosted the NFC Championship
game. What a missed opportunity, lol.
and Green Bay would've beaten us by 20, just sayin

That Seahawks team wasn't winnin' no Super Bowl. But had they hosted the NFCCG, the media shitstorm for a week would have been epic.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
kearly":25a5b2v5 said:
Coug_Hawk08":25a5b2v5 said:
Upside is 3rd round comp for a relatively cheap 1 year deal?

Service time and postseason awards factor heavily into the formula, and Seattle would wipe out any gains by signing a veteran free agent. Not counting chickens there. Could get a decent haul though if Seattle loses a ton of players.

Well, I feel the Seahawks will play the market smartly if they want to be a team like the Ravens or the Patriots and get compensation picks.

And if I remember correctly players who are cut and then become free agents aren't figured into the equation.

Julius Peppers or Demarcus Ware would look good in Seahawks blue for a year or two, if they come cheap enough.

I'm also not opposed to the idea of the Seahawks giving up two 1st round draft picks plus 16 mil per for Greg Hardy.

gabel

Reaction score
I think the ProfootballTalk source on this one is Drew Rosenhaus, Bennet's agent. A couple of days ago the news out of ProfootballTalk was that the 49'ers "might" sign Bennet. It appears all these leaks are an attempt to scare the price up. We really won't know until Tuesday.

If we are going to win forever we surely have to show a lot of discipline at contract time.

davidonmi

Reaction score
kearly":3apxi3f2 said:
davidonmi":3apxi3f2 said:
superdeluxe":3apxi3f2 said:
So... Johnson/Houston/Allen/Melton?
I doubt they sign johnson or houston, too many contracts upcoming.
Allen and Melton as for sure possibilities.
I still don't but the people saying Clemons will not be back

I know Melton has some red flags, but that's all the more reason he would be amenable to taking a 1 year prove it deal with Seattle. And if Bennett really is going to Chicago, then it speaks volumes about how they value Melton. I expect his market to be soft.

Houston is another guy I could see doing a 1 year prove it deal. Maybe a desperate team gives him the Desmond Bryant treatment, but his resume is too short for most teams to feel great about throwing $30+ million at him.

Allen is an obvious fit.

Johnson is the type of player profile that Seattle always seems to avoid in the draft, so his addition would surprise me. Sounds like he's going to be coveted highly by a few other teams anyway.
if we could get houston on a 1 year I'd love it, I just think someone is going to give him a long term deal, it only takes 1.
Melton, Allen, or Tuck would all be fine choices

DavidSeven

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":3etvu84h said:
And Chicago isn't a good team as long as Cutler is there and Rodgers is in Green Bay. Sometimes it's just that simple.

What's a "good team"? Chicago has had 11-5 and 10-6 seasons with Cutler. I remember most Seattle fans were chalking that 2012 game in Chicago as a loss before it was even played. The Bears got one of the scariest WR tandems in the league, and Martellus Bennett is a very nice TE. Trestman has done some pretty interesting things as a coach. They probably won't be a defensive powerhouse anymore, but neither were Holmgren's Seahawks. Didn't mean our playmakers on defense were useless.

I can think of a lot of worse situations to play in than Chicago.

drdiags

Reaction score
Hearing how many think the DE market is going to be hot, I wonder if Avril's people aren't preparing to seek to redo his final year on his current contract? You heard Michael refer to the fact that Avril needed to get a new contract as well during the post-game celebrations on the field. I would keep my eyes and ears open, there may be more changes due to the improved DE market.

Figure if Bennett plays in Chicago one has to wonder how either brother takes it when the other is cut from the team down the road? That would be the only drawback of playing on the same professional team as your brother. Tons of pluses to out-weigh the minuses.

kearly

Reaction score
CALIHAWK1":f2h3umef said:
MizzouHawkGal":f2h3umef said:
SacHawk2.0":f2h3umef said:
Here comes Scruggs.
It is known.

Off of IR.

One of my favorite long held traditions at .net: anointing the unproven backup as a future superstar when a very good player leaves town. In 2006 it was Porkchop Womack. In 2014 it's Greg Scruggs. Who are we to shit on their dreams?

kearly

Reaction score
DavidSeven":1e6u009n said:
MizzouHawkGal":1e6u009n said:
And Chicago isn't a good team as long as Cutler is there and Rodgers is in Green Bay. Sometimes it's just that simple.

What's a "good team"? Chicago has had 11-5 and 10-6 seasons with Cutler. I remember most Seattle fans were chalking that 2012 game in Chicago as a loss before it was even played. The Bears got one of the scariest WR tandems in the league, and Martellus Bennett is a very nice TE. Trestman has done some pretty interesting things as a coach. They probably won't be a defensive powerhouse anymore, but neither were Holmgren's Seahawks. Didn't mean our playmakers on defense were useless.

I can think of a lot of worse situations to play in than Chicago.

Forte is a good RB too, and their OL took some huge steps forward last year. A shame their defense sucks so badly, this after they were on pace to be the best DVOA defense of all time through like 10 games the season before. Amazing how quickly things change.

kearly

Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":3c9156fb said:
kearly":3c9156fb said:
HawkFan72":3c9156fb said:
Guess we're keeping Clemons then.

Jared Allen.

Neither is necessarily true.

Well, between Allen, Clemons, Tuck, maybe Ware, maybe Wake, between those options Allen strikes me as by far the most likely. Right now Chris Clemons is being held in a case that reads "break glass in case of emergency." It is almost inconceivable that he will remain in Seattle at his current price tag. He's only being kept around in case we have no better options.

Status
Not open for further replies.