Pick #111, Tedric Thompson, DB, Colorado

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
nash72":1m24dyna said:
Seahawk Sailor":1m24dyna said:
What's the average "bouncing in the playoffs" tier in the John Schneider/Pete Carroll era compared to say, any other era of Seahawks football? Your choice. Any one you want for comparison.

Great another guy who's perfectly content to just make the playoffs because the team stunk in the 90's.

2015 10-6 lost to Panthers 2nd round 31-24 in a game in which the Panthers took their foot off the throttle in the 2nd half or they could have put up 50 on us.

2016 10-5-1 took a severe beating in the 2nd round by the Falcons 36-20.

See a pattern here? If your fine with getting booted in the 2nd round than thats cool, but i'm not. The team wont go any further in the playoffs until the lines fixed and guess what didnt get fixed this season?

This is not Madden. You take what you can and you draft to your front offices board. They signed 2 experienced linemen and drafted another versatile one (with a good college pedigree) with their second pick. They drafted a very promising interior pass rusher with their first pick. They shored up the defensive backfield with the picks they got from trading down, and got their target regardless.

Your expectations are ridiculous. They're showing initiative and getting younger.

Nobody takes these posts seriously because they're so monotonous to read through EVERY THREAD.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Hawkscanner":3k19lldm said:
hawkfan68":3k19lldm said:
He ran 4.60 40yd dash which to me seems slow for an FS. I hope he can overcome his lack of speed in the NFL. Terrell is reported to run in 4.3s for 40 and he repeatedly got beat. Picking Tedric with Eddie Jackson still on the board was shocking to me.

Hmmm ... I'm remembering a certain former Hawks Linebacker who only ran a 4.7. That would be Lofa Tatupu.

And I also remember a former WR who only ran 4.7 himself. That would be Steve Largent.

So, 40 yard dash time isn't the end all, be all measuring rod for how good a player is. Aaron Curry ran a 4.52 in the 40 (a phenomenal time for a guy who was 250 lbs) -- but he had very poor instincts. Instincts are WAY more important ---something that both Tatupu and Largent had ... something that Tedric Thompson clearly has in abundance. Just throwing that out there.

I've always been skeptical about 40 times. At those speeds, how big of a difference does it really make if somebody is a 4.3 or a 4.4 or a whatever. Getting a good first step, I suspect, makes a lot bigger difference than running a tenth of a second faster over 40 yards.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Rat":2pam2f96 said:
I don't know anything about Thompson, but if it's a DB and Carroll likes him, I'm excited about it.

I teared up a little bit watching Thompson's video of Schneider calling him. He seems to really appreciate the opportunity he's getting.

Kueckly cried from a concussion too. Just sayin' . . . . poor taste? Probably.

I'm not thrilled about the concussion issue. I do suspect it's a tackling form issue but with 4 in the can already, that still seems like a risky thing not just for the team but the player. I'm not thrilled about the OL pick in the second round but just throw that on the pile of issues this regime seems to have with Olinemen. Other than that, I'm fine with the draft. Not that my seal of approval amounts to a hill of beans.

ivotuk

Reaction score
How I've heard it all. Doom and Gloom!

John Schneider is now Tim Ruskell. The wheels are coming off. Fans are better draft experts than our front office... As long as they parrot Mel Kiper that is.

Does nobody pay attention? We have the makings of a good to great offensive line.

1st rounder Ifedi, Pro Bowl Center, Fant has elite athletic skills and with Joekel, be can sit and learn. Glowinski did a good job last year.

They have signed competition for the Oline.

They drafted competition for the Oline.

The Tackles and Guards you all are pulling for were artificially pushed up due to lack of prospects. Look at them! Hip surgery for one, the other, didn't want to play football, but then he did, And played at a lower level.

We need to start rebuilding this defense, it's getting old and look what happened with injuries on defense last year!

Pete and John have checked him out medically, but people didn't get what THEY want (per Mel Kiper who does not have a job in the NFL), so they look for anything negative then repeat it like it's gospel! To hell with the facts.

R-E-L-A-X

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
ivotuk":35ywh8xq said:
The Tackles and Guards you all are pulling for were artificially pushed up due to lack of prospects. Look at them! Hip surgery for one, the other, didn't want to play football, but then he did, And played at a lower level.

We need to start rebuilding this defense, it's getting old and look what happened with injuries on defense last year!

Yeah, but hip surgery? It was a really small knife!

And didn't want to play football? Well yeah, but it's such a violent sport!

And defense? Highly overrated. When's the last time a number one defense won the Super Bowl?

CPHawk

Reaction score
nash72":1yu1u1xy said:
Hawkfan77":1yu1u1xy said:
To be fair this is probably the only era they are aware of

Yep. Again, I probably have jerseys and memorabilia older than you. Been a fan since 76'. When did you jump on board?

Good for you, you wear other men's jerseys.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
seanmatt":34dy2huk said:
To be fair this is probably the only era they are aware of

Or this person remembers the Holmgren/Ruskell era and understands that these past two seasons are very similar to the 2006 and 2007 Hawks of that era.

Not even remotely comparable.

The 2007 Seahawks offense was far older and closer to their twilight than the current Seahawks offense. Russell Wilson is not Matt Hasselbeck by any stretch of the imagination, nor is Thomas Rawls anything like Shaun Alexander. And they've arguably had more success, despite a bad OL, as that Holmgren team. Five playoff appearances. Two Super Bowl appearances. One ring. That ought to blow the minds of some of the OL-obsessed people.

The 2007 Seahawks defense, for their part, was never the Legion. They were a huge pretender. They benefited from a ridiculously easy division and schedule that year, beating up on several bad QBs (Gus Frerotte? A.J. Feeley? Troy Smith? Todd Collins?) and proving totally ineffective against every good one (Brees, Roethlisberger, Palmer, and finally Favre). They also lost to Matt Moore and Derek Anderson, even struggling against Chris Redman. It's insulting to even compare them to the defense Carroll has built, which has repeatedly stuffed Pro Bowl quarterbacks into the dirt in every way.

So while I'm well aware of the 2007 team's failures, the comparison doesn't even begin to work. This team is younger, better, and more accomplished in every way, with a better foundation and a brighter future.

nash72

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":1rdqzujw said:
Nobody takes these posts seriously because they're so monotonous to read through EVERY THREAD.

Nobody's forcing you to read them and respond, but here you are. Everybody on this board is entitled to their opinions. Its kind of why it exists.

sdog1981

Reaction score
I only fear in the concussion aware NFL of 2017 that he is going to retire before his rookie deal is up.

ivotuk

Reaction score
nash72":3ele6fp8 said:
Seahawk Sailor":3ele6fp8 said:
What's the average "bouncing in the playoffs" tier in the John Schneider/Pete Carroll era compared to say, any other era of Seahawks football? Your choice. Any one you want for comparison.

Great another guy who's perfectly content to just make the playoffs because the team stunk in the 90's.

2015 10-6 lost to Panthers 2nd round 31-24 in a game in which the Panthers took their foot off the throttle in the 2nd half or they could have put up 50 on us.

2016 10-5-1 took a severe beating in the 2nd round by the Falcons 36-20.

See a pattern here? If your fine with getting booted in the 2nd round than thats cool, but i'm not. The team wont go any further in the playoffs until the lines fixed and guess what didnt get fixed this season?

Yes, the pattern is, we need to improve our DEFENSE!

Giving up 31 points! 36 points! Opposing teams passing all over the yard!

Sounds to me like we need pass rush and DBs!

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
nash72":1rbl0md3 said:
Maelstrom787":1rbl0md3 said:

Nobody's forcing you to read them and respond, but here you are. Everybody on this board is entitled to their opinions. Its kind of why it exists.

We're also entitled to rebut them and offer counterpoints.

hawknation2017

Reaction score
The way this guy plays is just fantastic. Unbelievable instincts to position himself and break on the ball. Love watching it.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
ivotuk":1v9oe31h said:
How I've heard it all. Doom and Gloom!

John Schneider is now Tim Ruskell. The wheels are coming off. Fans are better draft experts than our front office... As long as they parrot Mel Kiper that is.

Does nobody pay attention? We have the makings of a good to great offensive line.

1st rounder Ifedi, Pro Bowl Center, Fant has elite athletic skills and with Joekel, be can sit and learn. Glowinski did a good job last year.

They have signed competition for the Oline.

They drafted competition for the Oline.

Pete and John have checked him out medically, but people didn't get what THEY want (per Mel Kiper who does not have a job in the NFL), so they look for anything negative then repeat it like it's gospel! To hell with the facts.

R-E-L-A-X
Great post Ivotuk! :2thumbs:

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
I think some are confused about the concussion history of Tedric. The way I read it, he didn't have 4 concussions, but rather had 1 concussion in 2014 that sent him to the hospital and forced him to miss the final 4 games of the season.

I doubt he'd still be playing if he had 4 concussions.

hedgehawk

Reaction score
Rat":3clntqkw said:
I don't know anything about Thompson, but if it's a DB and Carroll likes him, I'm excited about it.

I teared up a little bit watching Thompson's video of Schneider calling him. He seems to really appreciate the opportunity he's getting.

Can you tell me where this video is? Thanks!!

hawknation2017

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":cb5deqj7 said:
I think some are confused about the concussion history of Tedric. The way I read it, he didn't have 4 concussions, but rather had 1 concussion in 2014 that sent him to the hospital and forced him to miss the final 4 games of the season.

Correct. He had one concussion three years ago. On the play, he went low on a tackle and took a knee to the head at the end of a game against UCLA in 2014. Had to be carted off the field and taken to a hospital.

hawknation2017

Reaction score

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
Siouxhawk":1h4lcklf said:

Four concussions, four games missed due to a single concussion--po-tay-to, to-mah-toe!