Pick #249, Chris Carson, RB, OKST

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
Hawkfish":ix2bdo23 said:
Never fumbled in 212 carries at Oklahoma State
I love that. But, then I think of Matt Jones. IIRC, he wasn't known as a fumbler at Florida. He shined some his rookie year for the Redskins, but also put the ball on the ground a lot. Washington felt comfortable letting Alf Morris leave in FA because they felt like me Jones was their guy of the future. Then when the season started, he was one of the least effective RBs, despite his size and strength, and has fumbling issues yet again. Now it looks like he'll probably be cut by Washington.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
I checked this kid out previous to the draft and I think you keep him as a RB for sure. He should push Collins to the practice squad. I was looking for kids with the attitude to run the way he does and he fits the bill.

flmmkrz

Reaction score
Didn't see much of him in regular game film but his highlight reel is impressive stuff. Athletic and doesn't shy away from contact. Plays with that same bulldog mentality as Money Lynch and Rawls both play with. Hearing he didn't fumble with that much contact just makes him more exciting a player for me.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":sliyseu5 said:
jdemps":sliyseu5 said:
From a draft profile:
Reinvented himself from finesse to power after ribbing in the running backs meeting room. Lead shoulder carries pop in it. Drops pads at impact and is able to drive through initial contact. Bow-legged gait produces wider frame with better balance.

Where have I heard of this running style before?

It doesn't stop there.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/PFF/status/858450857095987201[/tweet]
That's awesome. To beat Fournette, Perine, Mixon, etc in that category stands out.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Hawkfish":diadpltj said:
https://twitter.com/DraftScoutNFL/status/855291264153010176?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Ftwitter.com%2Fdraftscoutnfl%2Fstatus%2F855291264153010176

Love his style! Ran right through some guys. Definitely loves contact. Will be quite a battle between him, Pope, Collins and Farmer for the final spot. If he doesn't make it, let's hope we can stash him and he doesn't get claimed elsewhere.

irocdave

Reaction score
Looks great on film, looks to have some beast in his running style, but quicker feet and more leaping ability. Nice pick up in the bottom rounds.

RW92

Reaction score
If he stays healthy I think this kid could be something special. I like the way he runs and accelerates going down hill. I love down hill runners.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Thepeelsessions":301efzrc said:
West TX Hawk":301efzrc said:
Will be quite a battle between him, Pope, Collins and Farmer for the final spot.
Pope is so overrated here. It's ridiculous.

Regardless of your elaborate and detailed commentary on the matter, the RBs I listed above are all on the roster and will likely be competing for the final slot along with McKissic, Magee, Madden and perhaps others.

While Collins remains the favorite due to his noticeable improvement at the end of the season, he is certainly not assured of anything and will be pushed. 3rd string caliber RBs are a dime a dozen and gutsy ones like Carson, Pope and Farmer will be given a fair shot in camp or to develop on the practice squad for down the road.

Hawkfish

Reaction score
Another. Hope this guy pans out!

[tweet]https://twitter.com/CowboyFB/status/858451430478200832[/tweet]

vin.couve12

Reaction score
I'll go out on a limb here. Collins might actually make it this time around again, but not just because of injury. Rawls isn't THE guy here and isn't going to be the guy in the foreseeable future. He gets traded to Detroit for a pick next year.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Yeah, probably not. We just have too many backs right now and no one that's really proven anything except Lacy, who's still yet questionable for other reasons.

TwilightError

Reaction score
He has a good chance making it as the 4th back if he can block.

Surprised they didn't take any linebackers but I expect a number of them on UDFA.

Jac

Reaction score
I know there was a debate last year on Alex Collins and the definition of a broken tackle. FWIW, Carson's highlight reel seems full of broken tackles...

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Interesting pick, runs into contact with a low pad level and breaks tackles, plus reasonable speed to run outside. Will be interested in seeing him play in preseason. I wonder if he can pass block?

The numbers at RB are just crazy, the team is going to have find more chairs for the preseason meetings 11 RBs on the roster and two FBs now. The competition for jobs will be very stiff. No shortage of potential candidates and physical talent to draw from either.

seem like a good value pick @ #249

JKent82

Reaction score
Like the way he runs, despite being a little high cut. Shows some really good balance, happy to throw the shoulder and stay low through contact, and his spin move looks natural and controlled. Curious if all those leaps are from earlier in his career before he changed up his more physical style.

Good competition for Collins, who I expect to look a lot better this summer after getting in shape midseason. Rawls, Lacey, Procise, Collins, Carson, Pope. Gonna be a dog fight.

If Carson can play special teams or split fullback duties with one of the TE's he could probably stick.

Boycie

Reaction score
vin.couve12":13we804b said:
Yeah, probably not. We just have too many backs right now and no one that's really proven anything except Lacy, who's still yet questionable for other reasons.

I think Lacy is gonna be real good here this year. As long as he stays of the " China Food" then we should be good. Dude k owe this is make or break for him and I think Pete can get through to him. I can see him being our back for a few years, just wait and see.

Seafan

Reaction score
I can't get more excited about a 7th rounder than with Carson. He reminds me of Chris Ivory. This team is loaded with tough guys once again.