Pick #35 Malik McDowell, DT, Michigan State

bighawk

Reaction score
I am so happy i predicted that Malik McDowell he is 20 and he played injured thats heart i dont care what anyone says. This guy will be special this dline will be great Clint hurtt will coach him up. I love this pick.

nash72

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":uzdrsha2 said:
Yawn.

In a draft that has some of the best secondary depth in close to 5 years, after enduring holes in the secondary repeatedly....we draft a DL in a draft where DL talent is below average.

Yay.

The problem with "having lots of draft capital" is that you still have to invest it wisely.

Our first pick is a guy who half-asses it repeatedly in games. And isn't as good as DL historically have been at that slot. But hey, we traded around alot and got someone mediocre.

Maybe we can pick up a backup punter with some amazing draft day moves, racking us up some great picks so we can squander them on average players?

He almost had 2 sacks last season. I'm sure he's the answer for our inside pass rush.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Good scouting video on the guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cy7erbPJISQ

Classic SPARQ pick. Very raw, showed some glimpses of dominance, plays with good pad level, very good at stopping the run. Doesn't have much in way of pass rushing, pretty much played every line position at Michigan State.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
nash72":1bs8poay said:
TwistedHusky":1bs8poay said:
Yawn.

In a draft that has some of the best secondary depth in close to 5 years, after enduring holes in the secondary repeatedly....we draft a DL in a draft where DL talent is below average.

Yay.

The problem with "having lots of draft capital" is that you still have to invest it wisely.

Our first pick is a guy who half-asses it repeatedly in games. And isn't as good as DL historically have been at that slot. But hey, we traded around alot and got someone mediocre.

Maybe we can pick up a backup punter with some amazing draft day moves, racking us up some great picks so we can squander them on average players?

He almost had 2 sacks last season. I'm sure he's the answer for our inside pass rush.

You guys should be NFL scouts.

SOURCES TELL US "He has a chance to be a dominant player in our league. I mean dominant. It hasn't turned on for him all the way yet but if it does, he could be like Mario Williams. He's just a little lazy and I worry about whether he is going to be a self-starter." -- NFC North area scout

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
The D-line has never fully recovered from the loss of Red Bryant and Brandon Mebane . Great pick.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
nash72":253nb20z said:
TwistedHusky":253nb20z said:
Yawn.

Yay.

Reductive.

How many pressures did he have? QB knockdowns and hurries? How many sacks did he create for teammates?

Vpk0718

Reaction score
HawkFan72":3w21deo3 said:
It's pretty clear the Hawks don't like any of the top O-linemen in this draft.

And given their recent history with offensive line acquisitions you actually trust them???

Stop drinking the koolaid. This FO Is godawful with the o-line. I have zero hope that anything changes this year.

Atradees

Reaction score
Malik was injured last year. Struggled with it. He was thought to go in the first until last year's struggles. Freaky athleticism. Good potential.

jdemps

Reaction score
SF bay area, shaping young minds with a tinge of H
ivotuk":3l10h8k6 said:
Link from Rob's site seahawksdraftblog

[youtube]Cy7erbPJISQ[/youtube]

I was just about to post this. Elite talent who quit on a bad team. Anyone think he'll quit while lined up with Clark, Bennett and Avril.

I'm just wondering what position he'll play. 1 or 3 tech on passing downs? 5 tech on run downs. Maybe reed will switch to 1 tech?

Give this guy a couple of weeks in Hawaii with Mike B and shit will get real.

Really happy with this pick. We had ZERO inside pass rush last year especially with Mike B's injury.

TwilightError

Reaction score
What happened to "we like competitors" and " he has to love football "? A lazy guy with low motivation.. it's a need but really? With all that dB talent on the board..

Rat

Reaction score
Northwest Seahawk":2lnok0dc said:
The D-line has never fully recovered from the loss of Red Bryant and Brandon Mebane . Great pick.

He's a lot more Michael Bennett than Bryant or Mebane.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
I don't think you need to be an NFL scout to know that guys with poor work ethics generally don't work out well.

That said, his film looks pretty average to me and Michigan ran through a string of pretty weak to average teams. It wasn't exactly a murderer's row on the schedule.

Not impressed and not sure I am expecting much but hey, happy to be proven wrong.

But 2 sacks for a DL is sh*t, QB pressures or no. And considering the quality of his competition? Even worse.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I hope JS/PC absolutely kill it the rest of the way to make up for what at least appears to be a "meh" first pick. A lot of players I would have rather had them take with the first pick that were still there between #26 and #34.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
jdemps":2atzwge9 said:
ivotuk":2atzwge9 said:
Link from Rob's site seahawksdraftblog

[youtube]Cy7erbPJISQ[/youtube]

I was just about to post this. Elite talent who quit on a bad team. Anyone think he'll quit while lined up with Clark, Bennett and Avril.

I'm just wondering what position he'll play. 1 or 3 tech on passing downs? 5 tech on run downs. Maybe reed will switch to 1 tech?

Give this guy a couple of weeks in Hawaii with Mike B and shit will get real.

Really happy with this pick. We had ZERO inside pass rush last year especially with Mike B's injury.

I don't think this argument holds up. By this logic, dude quit working hard even with millions of dollars at stake.

Let's hope he was just injured because quitting with money at stake is more than Bennett can fix.

hawknation2017

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":3othr37c said:
I don't think you need to be an NFL scout to know that guys with poor work ethics generally don't work out well.

That said, his film looks pretty average to me and Michigan ran through a string of pretty weak to average teams. It wasn't exactly a murderer's row on the schedule.

Not impressed and not sure I am expecting much but hey, happy to be proven wrong.

But 2 sacks for a DL is sh*t, QB pressures or no. And considering the quality of his competition? Even worse.

Big Ten has some consistently strong offensive lines, especially in comparison to the lack of athleticism of the Pac-12/Big 12 and lack of technique of the SEC/ACC. He was on a bad team and dealt with a few injuries last year.

jdemps

Reaction score
SF bay area, shaping young minds with a tinge of H
TwistedHusky":3jhg5oh3 said:

2 Sacks against double and triple teams because no one else on your line belongs in the FBS.

The real issue is that McDowell doesn't have more than 2 pass rush moves and no countermove. He's begging for some coaching. You know who else came into the league with a limited arsenal and took off after some coaching. Frank Clark.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
Rat":mufs6tvi said:
NJlargent":mufs6tvi said:
You really have to work at justifying this pick. Oh well makes for entertaining reading

He's an elite talent. Doesn't need more justification than that.
Yep. If the rose-colored glasses(for Pac-10)would come off, they would see that. He was nursing a serious ankle injury last season. Hence his iffy stats. I follow the enemy(MSU) big time out here. :)

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
jdemps":25l2kdl5 said:
TwistedHusky":25l2kdl5 said:

2 Sacks against double and triple teams because no one else on your line belongs in the FBS.

The real issue is that McDowell doesn't have more than 2 pass rush moves and no countermove. He's begging for some coaching. You know who else came into the league with a limited arsenal and took off after some coaching. Frank Clark.
I think JS has a boner for Big 10 talent lately. lol

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
hawknation2017":euffg69y said:
TwistedHusky":euffg69y said:

Big Ten has some consistently strong offensive lines, especially in comparison to the lack of athleticism of the Pac-12/Big 12 and lack of technique of the SEC/ACC. He was on a bad team and dealt with a few injuries last year.
:2thumbs: Somebody did their homework here. :)