Do you sit or start Russell against the Jets

• Yes, start him

Votes: 73 53.3%
  • No, sit him

Votes: 64 46.7%

• Total voters

calihawk

Reaction score
Russ has had a tough time accepting his ankle has slowed him . He seems determined to play like he always has making miracle escapes , not working out to well under pressure. Sit him one game and his return will be awesome .

HawkGA

Reaction score
OkieHawk":1qe6orgz said:
HawkGA":1qe6orgz said:
I certainly wouldn't play Pete. He's pretty old. He'd get hurt out there.

Don't be so sure, he's pretty spry and could probably outrun most of .Net.

Well yes, but I wouldn't put me out there either. I would definitely get hurt! :white_flag:

bigskydoc

Reaction score
No reason to think a low grade MCL tear would put him at any higher risk of injury. The high ankle sprain is a significantly higher risk.

Unless he has meniscal damage, or needs surgery, he should play. The amount of hand wringing over this is ridiculous.

If we go up 21 points on the Jets, we should pull him.

bandiger

Reaction score
If it was up to me, I'd sit him but bear in mind RW has that mindset of starting every game ala Rivers, Mannings, Farve, etc.

OP
OP
Sgt. Largent

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
TorontoHawk":7scd8kc9 said:
JSeahawks":7scd8kc9 said:
If he can play I play him.

Seems like a no brainier to me.

Yes give us the best shot to win. Every single game is important to win as the next.

Not entirely true. NFC games are more important, and division games are the most important.

I'd say a 10:00am game on the east coast against an AFC team is the best game to sit Russell if that gives him three full weeks to get healthy.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3bnns0if said:
JSeahawks":3bnns0if said:
If he can play I play him.

Seems like a no brainier to me.

idk, with the Cards 1-2, Panther 1-2, and no one really running away with the NFC, maybe it's better give him three full weeks off so he's ready to roll and these injuries aren't lingering for months.

Right now, Philly and Minny seem to be the most consistent and best teams in the NFC. It's still early, but Philly's defense is a legit and Minny's, and is playing better than ours.

To be fair, no one is going to "run away with the NFC" after game 3. They're only starting to run away from teams that are already 0-3, that's about it.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
If I'm Pete, I'd wait and see until Wednesday. If he's practicing and doesn't look to be bothered, play him

Optimus25

Reaction score
This is why that gd annual brain fart against the rams is pissing me off exponentially.

At 3-0, this isn't much of a debate with a 1-2 Arizona team- you thank God for an early bye and rest Russ.

But no, now we gotta sit here and split hairs about a decision that is damned if you do, damned if you don't.

SeAhAwKeR4life

Reaction score
A big part of me says play him, but gets edged out by a few factors.

The fact that we have one game, against a rather mediocre Jets team, that is not even a divisional or conference opponent, then a bye to get him healthy, argues for sitting him. Win or lose in NY, we are OK.

The fact that we have Boykin, who, aside from a rookie mistake, the kind anyone in their right mind expects a rookie to make, looked pretty good, argues for sitting him.

The fact Boykin needs to develop, argues for sitting him.

The fact we have a solid ground game argues for sitting him.

The solidity of our defense, against captain Pickspatrick, argues for sitting him.

The fact that even as good as our line looked this week, it was against suspect opposition, our line still needs work. The Jets defense is NOT suspect, and given our on the cheap, inexperienced offensive line, giving them a game with the backup to work against a solid D, and a bye to further gel, argues for letting Wilson sit and get healthy.

If this was later in the season, against a divisional or even conference opponent, or not up against a bye week, I could see playing Russell, but given all these circumstances, I can't see any real downside to sitting him, beyond a potential loss.

Better to save the health of our MVP and our chances for the season, than to risk it all on such a non crucial contest given the big picture.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Optimus25":3440ycxk said:
This is why that gd annual brain fart against the rams is pissing me off exponentially.

At 3-0, this isn't much of a debate with a 1-2 Arizona team- you thank God for an early bye and rest Russ.

But no, now we gotta sit here and split hairs about a decision that is damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Arizona has the Rams this week. Rams win they go to 3-1 and Cards 1-3. Cards win they both are at 2-2.

Tough call for staff.

Vesuve

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3m07656n said:
Interesting debate on Brock and Salk this morning.

If Russell's injury is a MCL sprain, do you sit him against NY and give him three full weeks to recover from both injuries. Or if he can go, do you play him, even if that means again being only at 50%.

Obviously we know what Russell would do, but what would you do as Pete?

IMO, we have to wait 5 days.

Safer to rest him against the Jets, or at least not start him. Then, there is a by week.

With a sprained MCL it would not take much pressure on the knee or leg or a hit to make it worse.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
60% of Russ is >> than 100% of Boykin

A partial tear of the MCL does not appreciably increase the risk of further injury.

Why would anyone choose to sit Russ?

Limit him somewhat since he will have some slight mobility issues? Sure.

Pull him if we go up 21? Sure.

Completely pull him out and risk a loss? No way.

He has a historical propensity for playing smart and keeping himself out of trouble. Remind him again and again to play smart football like that, and live to fight another day.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
I sit him and hope the defense and running game can carry you to a win. Gives Russ basically 3 weeks before his next start, hopefully allowing both his ankle and knee to fully heal or come very close.

SeAhAwKeR4life

Reaction score
bigskydoc":69exbvyu said:
60% of Russ is >> than 100% of Boykin

A partial tear of the MCL does not appreciably increase the risk of further injury.

Why would anyone choose to sit Russ?

Limit him somewhat since he will have some slight mobility issues? Sure.

Pull him if we go up 21? Sure.

Completely pull him out and risk a loss? No way.

He has a historical propensity for playing smart and keeping himself out of trouble. Remind him again and again to play smart football like that, and live to fight another day.

How about Making Russell #2 n the depth chart, if he's cleared to play. Keep him sat if Boykin handles business, keep Russell as an option if not?

Admittedly, I'm not too clear on the rules about QB substitutions, but I think you protect your assets, especially given that he can have two weeks of recovery, and we may not even need him to get a win.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":1ox6duya said:
I sit him and hope the defense and running game can carry you to a win. Gives Russ basically 3 weeks before his next start, hopefully allowing both his ankle and knee to fully heal or come very close.

Hard to argue with this.

flmmkrz

Reaction score
After seeing Russ vs the rams and how a 50% version of him looked against a very good front, if hes hobbled again I don't want him out there vs another good front. I can't take a week of him being a sitting target and the team doesn't need that risk going forward. Unless he's moving around at least to the level he was this past week id rest him, if hes closer to ram week there's no question to me. This games winnable without Russ and has the least playoff implications for the team, not going to get a better time to rest him if he needs it.

Latest posts