Votes: 73 53.3%
  • No, sit him

Votes: 64 46.7%

• Total voters

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
OkieHawk":32bz6s51 said:
HawkGA":32bz6s51 said:
I certainly wouldn't play Pete. He's pretty old. He'd get hurt out there.

Don't be so sure, he's pretty spry and could probably outrun most of .Net.

Talk about a low bar.

OP
OP
Sgt. Largent

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":rv7ylakt said:
BlueTalon":rv7ylakt said:
theENGLISHseahawk":rv7ylakt said:
Would be a much easier decision to make if we had a proper backup and not an UDFA rookie project.
It wouldn't, really. We'd still be having exactly this same discussion if Tarvaris was still on the roster.

My vote is to sit Russ. Give Boykin the practice reps for the week and the game on Sunday. This is about more than just this week's game, or even just this season. We want Russ at optimal health, and the experience Boyken gets could prove to be invaluable sometime later.

We'd still be discussing it but of course it'd be a much easier decision. Surely you appreciate the angle of an experienced backup with a proper understanding of a NFL game vs an UDFA rookie?

Fair enough.

I think it was the combo of Jackson's arrest and Pete and John gambling that Russell would continue his streak of not missing time with injuries.

The long game is hopefully Boykin can develop into a good backup, but yeah it backfired a little now if Russell has to miss serious time.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
SeAhAwKeR4life":2qoskjg9 said:
I'm just saying that Russell being hurt worse is the most important reason to consider sitting him. If there is any chance of a torn MCL, I say sit him. Its just not that crucial a game.

If you find "eyeroll" smilies that offensive, perhaps your skin is too thin?

If you're "just saying" then maybe add a little context, or factor some in, or just make your point next time, as that was what I was doing.

OkieHawk

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":fnloqi3r said:
OkieHawk":fnloqi3r said:
HawkGA":fnloqi3r said:
I certainly wouldn't play Pete. He's pretty old. He'd get hurt out there.

Don't be so sure, he's pretty spry and could probably outrun most of .Net.

Talk about a low bar.

True, but I could of easily said "most Americans" and still have been accurate.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
It's a coffee and donut game, were going to lose anyway, sit him.

raisethe3

Reaction score
PlinytheCenter":i4ohbzi8 said:
MontanaHawk05":i4ohbzi8 said:
Sit him.

Ryan Fitzpatrick isn't going to be putting up a whole lot of points; we don't need to out-shoot him. Against the Jets, you're going to want someone who can protect himself with his legs, and that's not Russ this week. And like Sgt. said, the NFC isn't exactly a footrace right now.

If we lose, it's an AFC game, which doesn't count as much in a postseason tiebreaker. If there's ever a time to sit him, it's the Jets game.

Totally agree. Sit him, at least for this week. Give him a chance to rehab a bit. Boykin was serviceable against the Niners; he just has to keep the boneheaded ints under control, run out of trouble, and let Michael & Rawls do their thing. The defense will hopefully keep this a low scoring affair. Eek out a win here and move on.

Took the words out of my mouth. Agree with this 100%. If the Hawks do this, I don't see what can go wrong.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
There's no debate to me. You sit Russell Wilson to give him two full weeks to heal up. I don't even care if it directly costs us a game this week.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Aros":fv6093sd said:
There's no debate to me. You sit Russell Wilson to give him two full weeks to heal up. I don't even care if it directly costs us a game this week.

He's already going to get 2 full weeks after the game, no?

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Okay 3 weeks. Even better. Sit him or risk losing him for the entire season or worse.

SeAhAwKeR4life

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2aek016i said:
Aros":2aek016i said:

So lets risk his health for the entire season on a non essential, non division, non conference, non "must win" 10am start. against a monster front 7, Yeah, sound reasoning.....

If there is no ligament damage and he isn't limited is the ONLY way I start him in this particular situation.

Largent80

Reaction score
Excuse me but this game counts just as much as any of them. The goal is home field advantage in the playoffs, and the last time we played there the result was a championship. You simply play to win and that mean's Russel is the quarterback.

Ozzy

Reaction score
What about suiting him up and using him as needed? I know its unorthodox in the NFL to do that but its an idea? I think he goes though if I'm betting at this point. I'm not confident in winning if Boykin is the guy although I would love to be proven wrong.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
SeAhAwKeR4life":322ktm77 said:
Uncle Si":322ktm77 said:
Aros":322ktm77 said:

So lets risk his health for the entire season on a non essential, non division, non conference, non "must win" 10am start. against a monster front 7, Yeah, sound reasoning.....

If there is no ligament damage and he isn't limited is the ONLY way I start him in this particular situation.

Look, you are inferring a lot more info into the conversation then I am.

Yeah, if his knee is just a mix of aged rubber bands and broken pringles, then we should sit him.

Until then, we are merely discussing a bunch of hypothetical scenarios. Your scenario is that he does have ligament damage. We don't know this. Until he does, i'd like to assume he doesn't, is hobbled but can play, and have him win a game on the road.

"Sound reasoning" is waiting until you know what's going on before making absolute statements.

And all games are "must win"

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Largent80":2acbslsg said:
Excuse me but this game counts just as much as any of them. The goal is home field advantage in the playoffs, and the last time we played there the result was a championship. You simply play to win and that mean's Russel is the quarterback.

Exactly.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
timmat":am4lluuz said:
Until I hear a Dr. or team rep like Pete come out and straight up say something to the effect of "the results of the MRI were clear and show no damage to the...", I'd sit him.

Watching that knee brace get slapped on him yesterday gave me flashbacks of the brace RGIII wore. RW and RGIII seem to be cut from completely different stock (good for us), but that was one of the first things I thought of.

It is pretty cut and dry really. A mild tear will confer (essentially) no additional risk for further injury. It would be patently ridiculous to sit him for a minor tear. If it is a moderate tear or worse, or if there is associated meniscal damage, then no one is going to let him play.

This is not the same initial injury suffered by RGIII (LCL and possibly meniscus), and Wilson doesn't have the poor body mechanics (or the recklessness) that pretty much predestined RGIII to a life of knee ligament injuries.

This is a whole lot of hand wringing over nothing. The MRI results will dictate whether he plays next week, and it won't really even be a debate. Either he is seriously injured and doesn't play or he is minimally injured and does.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
bigskydoc":1zh99f6r said:
This is a whole lot of hand wringing over nothing. The MRI results will dictate whether he plays next week, and it won't really even be a debate. Either he is seriously injured and doesn't play or he is minimally injured and does.
Thanks. Newbie here: you actually are a doc, is that correct?

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Why don't we see how he practices this week. If he can go full speed on Wednesday, that would be pretty convincing. You pretty much have to saw his leg off to get him out of a game, so I implore the training staff and coaches to make sure that Russell gives full disclosure and is completely honest about the health of that knee. It has to be expressed that we need him for the full year and if there's any hesitation, he needs to rest.

Of course you know who I'd be speed dialing if he couldn't go. That veteran free agent who knows that playbook inside and out.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Does he really even need to practice? I mean, honestly. Couldn't he theoretically rest for a week of practice and not miss too much?

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Waiting would take the fun out of the hypothetical poll and thread though, regardless of its actually being the best scenario.

Giblien

Reaction score
bandiger":38g323sw said:
If it was up to me, I'd sit him but bear in mind RW has that mindset of starting every game ala Rivers, Mannings, Farve, etc.

I had this same thought yesterday: Could the consecutive games started streak be one he is eyeballing for years down the road? Maybe that one is especially important to him...