Players look like they didn't care about winning. (OPINION)

Jerhawk

Reaction score
This whole defense is terrible. The 3-4 scheme, or whatever mental gymnastics you wish to use with describing this scheme, just doesn't work with the guys on the roster. Again.

Blow it up. Every player should be expendable.

Always compete my a**. They play soft and scared.

Fade

Reaction score
Remember the big question here a few weeks ago:

Has PC lost the locker room?

I think this is pretty convincing evidence that many players are just there for the paycheck and DGAF about winning.

We all know PC sucks at talent evaluation for both coaches and players, player development, Xs and Os, and gameday management. His one saving grace is "culture building" - and he now sucks at that, too.

So what does PC bring to the table?
Pete never built a great culture.

From Marshawn flipping the sideline the bird, and laughing in Pete's face, Mike B reading books in meetings, to DK laughing at and ignoring his Penalty board.

What Pete had back in the day was more talent than everyone else (which I give him full credit for helping construct.) He squandered those teams. The dynasty that never was.

NoGain

Reaction score

From Marshawn flipping the sideline the bird, and laughing in Pete's face, Mike B reading books in meetings, to DK laughing at and ignoring his Penalty board.

What Pete had back in the day was more talent than everyone else (which I give him full credit for helping construct.) He squandered those teams. The dynasty that never was.
Mmmm....this post of yours is more than a little off the reservation, IMO. There's no question that PC has created winning cultures both at the pro and college levels. It's been one of his strengths as a head coach.

Fade

Reaction score
Mmmm....this post of yours is more than a little off the reservation, IMO. There's no question that PC has created winning cultures both at the pro and college levels. It's been one of his strengths as a head coach.
USC. I agree. He is a perfect college coach.

Not saying he didn't win.

I'm saying they were always dysfunctional, but had the talent back then to overcome it. But at the same time, the dysfunction cost them a dynasty.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
What did Pete say after the game, something to the effect that he didn't like the way the team reacted.

That's code for "we got punched in the mouth and still played like the soft team we've been all year." Of which he's the architect and coach of, so not sure why he's confused and annoyed.

It must be super sad for Pete to stand on the sideline and watch other teams kick his team's ass like he wants his roster to play.

NoGain

Reaction score
USC. I agree. He is a perfect college coach.

Not saying he didn't win.

I'm saying they were always dysfunctional, but had the talent back then to overcome it. But at the same time, not enough to be a dynasty either.
Players liked playing here. Even players who had their beefs with PC seem to gravitate back here in one form or another. I'm pretty sure that if you asked the players themselves if he created a good culture for them to be themselves and to thrive in, the answer would be a strong yes.

As much as I thought we haven't been a true contender for like nine years or so, there's a good reason why our records since 2015...

10-6
10-5-1
9-7
10-6
11-5
12-4
7-10
9-8

...have been what they've been.

I think it's time for PC to go as well. But I refuse to take away from him what he's deserving of, and one of those things is the kind of positive culture he's been known to create.

Last edited:

IndyHawk

Reaction score
It's ******* sad to see things like this. Absolutely pathetic.

There was a few other times throughout the game but it just shows players are mailing it in and not even caring really, just going through the motions.

These are players that lost their jobs last season and will lose their jobs after this season.
Pretty pathetic for what their paying them and they cannot show some effort.
If anything this is what Pete needs to keep doing, churn and churn some more
till you have hungry and decent players with fire..
Spoon is a great example of what I'm getting at.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
This whole defense is terrible. The 3-4 scheme, or whatever mental gymnastics you wish to use with describing this scheme, just doesn't work with the guys on the roster. Again.

Blow it up. Every player should be expendable.

Always compete my a**. They play soft and scared.
Yes the 3-4 has failed and really it's not just here but all over.
Teams figured out how to exploit the weakness of it.
In what world does a 170lb CB play a linebacker? I know it was
a desperate fill in but still.

Fade

Reaction score
T
Players liked playing here. Even players who had their beefs with PC seem to gravitate back here in one form or another. I'm pretty sure that if you asked the players themselves if he created a good culture for them to be themselves and to thrive in, the answer would be a strong yes.

As much as I thought we haven't been a true contender for like nine years or so, there's a good reason why our records since 2015...

10-6
10-6
9-7
10-6
11-5
12-4
7-10
9-8

...have been what they've been.

I think it's time for PC to go as well. But I refuse to take away from him what he's deserving of, and one of those things is the kind of positive culture he's been known to create.
They were dysfunctional.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
T

They were dysfunctional.

It's like a rock band, you can be dysfunctional, fight and act like idiots as long as you're making great music and kicking ass on stage.

That was the SB Hawk years, bunch of dysfunction...........but when they stepped over the line they balled out and played together as a team.

Now we got the dysfunction without the balling out. Not a good combo.

NoGain

Reaction score
They were dysfunctional.
In a winning kind of way. Dysfunctional is not the word that comes to mind with those regular season records that I listed since 2015.

renofox

Reaction score
...In hindsight, it looks to me that PC likes to pump up his team, and he is good at that.
Thought Experiment:

You work some place where the big boss gives out HUGE raises and bonuses to the employees who cheer like psychopaths at employee meetings.

One guy you know who is totally incompetent at his job was over-the-top effusive at every meeting for a year and got a $20M bonus and a promotion. Others who cheered got good bonuses, while those who didn't were let go even though many of them were high-performing coworkers.

Q1: What percentage of your young, male coworkers are going to be Pumped and Jacked cheerleaders at future employee meetings?

Q2: Do you think this does anything to make your company perform better, or does it do the opposite?

Q3: Is this an effective form of "leadership"?

LastRideOut

Reaction score
Thought Experiment:

You work some place where the big boss gives out HUGE raises and bonuses to the employees who cheer like psychopaths at employee meetings.

One guy you know who is totally incompetent at his job was over-the-top effusive at every meeting for a year and got a $20M bonus and a promotion. Others who cheered got good bonuses, while those who didn't were let go even though many of them were high-performing coworkers.

Q1: What percentage of your young, male coworkers are going to be Pumped and Jacked cheerleaders at future employee meetings?

Q2: Do you think this does anything to make your company perform better, or does it do the opposite?

I do not have the answers. I was merely stating my observations, along with my subjective judgements of said observations.

flv2

Reaction score
Thought Experiment:

I worked for a company that promoted incompetent yes-men over smart, hard workers. The incompetent guy on the same level as me got promoted 3 times in 27 months. He was soon fired, along with those who put that system in place. Still, they all got good money out of it. The company carried on, as did the rest of the workers.

NFL HCs are there to get the best out of their resources. That can only be achieved if everyone is motivated and on the same page. If you're good with Xs and Os but you're not a motivator then you stick to Xs and Os and bring in a motivator...and vice versa. It's tougher to be a motivator than an Xs and Os guy in the same place for a long time. Even harder if you don't have an elite workforce or superior Xs and Os.

cymatica

Reaction score

He created a great culture, but as soon as the team became great he squandered it. IMO, it started with signing Harvin and snubbing Tate. Wrapping Wilson in emotional bubble wrap during practice was what really tipped it over the edge, along with the worst play in SB history with no one being held accountable for it.