Playing in the cold.

Largent80

Reaction score
I would certanily rather be running around as opposed to sitting/standing in the cold.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
There is a stat that's being floated out there that Vikings fans appear to be clinging to ... and that is that Seattle is 1-7 all time in games where the temperature is less than 28 degrees ...

Temp Opponent Date W/L Score
16 at Denver Dec. 3, 2006 W 23-20
18 at Green Bay Dec. 27, 2009 L 48-10
20* at Green Bay Jan. 4, 2004 L 33-27 (OT)
21 at Kansas City Nov. 16, 2014 L 24-20
22 at Denver Dec. 10, 2000 L 31-24
24* at Chicago Jan. 16, 2011 L 35-24
26 at Pittsburgh Dec. 6, 1992 L 20-14
27 at Denver Dec. 19, 1999 L 36-30 (OT)

http://www.foxsports.com/north/stor...wks-could-cold-freeze-out-temperatures-010516

I don't know about how anyone else feels, but for me that stat is a complete red herring. First of all, only ONE of the games on that list comes from the Russell Wilson era -- the loss to the Chiefs last year. As I recall, the reason that Seattle lost that game is that (for whatever reason) they couldn't stop Jamaal Charles. It's not like that was a blowout though. That was a fairly tight game in an environment that's nearly as hostile as the CLINK. One play here, one play there and the Hawks could have pulled that one out. And NO ONE (and I mean no one) that I can recall ever mentioned the temperature in the game as being a factor for why Seattle didn't play well at the time.

Beyond that, the relevance of those numbers pretty much vanish. In taking a look at the roster from that Jan 16, 2011 game ... that was a playoff game that Matt Hasselbeck started. Last time I checked, I don't think he's going to be QB'ing for us on Sunday ... nor do I expect Shaun Alexander, Darrell Jackson, Lofa Tatupu, nor any of the other former Hawks from those other games listed above to be in uniform and playing on the field this Sunday. Going back to that loss to the Bears for a second, I count only 6 players played in that game who are still on the roster today. But if Vikings fans want to hold on to that frozen herring, who am I to dash their hopes? I fully expect the Hawks themselves to do that for them this Sunday.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I was at the KC game too. We had lost Wagner and Bane previous to that game, IIRC. Actually had a good chance to win, until Unger left the game hurt.

The weather was cold, but not a big factor in the game. That was the game where Lynch didn't go in for halftime, stayed on the bench.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Predicted temps have risen to high of 4, low of -2...

Things are looking up

SeaTitan

Reaction score
As a Seahawks fan for the last 29 years, I am optimistic about our chances with this year's team to go all the way again, but the temperature still worries me and the Vikings have the best RB (arguably) in the league this year. When we beat the Redskins in our first playoff road game win in over 20 years ( I think ), I was shocked. Hopefully, the Seahawks are just as hungry on Sunday as they were in Jan of 2013. It would be a great birthday present for me. I am going to start drinking at noon during the game so if we are ahead in the 3rd Quarter by that point, I may not have to drink myself into submission... :mrgreen:

JonRud

Reaction score
I am actually worried about the lingering effects of this cold weather and being ready for the Panthers game next. I know, don't look ahead....but it could be a factor. this is a rough game to start the playoffs. Damn you Cardinals!

Overseasfan

Reaction score
I don't see how the Vikes think this could be an advantage. If Wilson can't perform as well due to the cold weather than Bridgewater probably won't be able to connect on passes of more than 5 yards. If anything, this could actually be an advantage for us.

Seahawks1983

Reaction score
NOLAHawk":2z2p2xxv said:
Welcome to North East Skiing.
Unless they grew up in it. Ir is still impossibke. Worry about players staying positive. Its hard for a d tomrun back on the field after a fumble when teyre under the heaters . The team that wins top in Q1 wins.

Do they speak in English in What?

Polaris

Reaction score
Overseasfan":2xel8r74 said:
I don't see how the Vikes think this could be an advantage. If Wilson can't perform as well due to the cold weather than Bridgewater probably won't be able to connect on passes of more than 5 yards. If anything, this could actually be an advantage for us.

The Viking Fans have to hang onto something that might be to their advantage and this is it. Certainly there doesn't seem to be much else for them. I am inclined to agree that waaaay too much is being made of the frigid weather. That said, cold weather does serve to slow the game down and does act as an equalizer and that favors the underdog. However, I don't think it's as important as many others think (and certainly not enough for the Vikings).

HawkGA

Reaction score
JonRud":5w3j14jy said:
I am actually worried about the lingering effects of this cold weather and being ready for the Panthers game next. I know, don't look ahead....but it could be a factor. this is a rough game to start the playoffs. Damn you Cardinals!

I don't know about the linger effects but I like the fact that after this game the Hawks should get decent weather for the next two (ahem, next three!).

Silver Hawk

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1fjv3zn7 said:
I was at the KC game too. We had lost Wagner and Bane previous to that game, IIRC. Actually had a good chance to win, until Unger left the game hurt.

The weather was cold, but not a big factor in the game. That was the game where Lynch didn't go in for halftime, stayed on the bench.

It's also the game where the Seahawks had the opportunity to score a TD in the 4th Qtr, to take the lead. Something like 3rd and 2 or 4th and 2. IIRC, ADB runs a route in the end zone, gets mugged but no call. NFL sends apology letter next week, admitting mistake.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Hawkscanner":2vljhnly said:
There is a stat that's being floated out there that Vikings fans appear to be clinging to ... and that is that Seattle is 1-7 all time in games where the temperature is less than 28 degrees ...

Temp Opponent Date W/L Score
16 at Denver Dec. 3, 2006 W 23-20
18 at Green Bay Dec. 27, 2009 L 48-10
20* at Green Bay Jan. 4, 2004 L 33-27 (OT)
21 at Kansas City Nov. 16, 2014 L 24-20
22 at Denver Dec. 10, 2000 L 31-24
24* at Chicago Jan. 16, 2011 L 35-24
26 at Pittsburgh Dec. 6, 1992 L 20-14
27 at Denver Dec. 19, 1999 L 36-30 (OT)

http://www.foxsports.com/north/stor...wks-could-cold-freeze-out-temperatures-010516

I don't know about how anyone else feels, but for me that stat is a complete red herring. First of all, only ONE of the games on that list comes from the Russell Wilson era -- the loss to the Chiefs last year. As I recall, the reason that Seattle lost that game is that (for whatever reason) they couldn't stop Jamaal Charles. It's not like that was a blowout though. That was a fairly tight game in an environment that's nearly as hostile as the CLINK. One play here, one play there and the Hawks could have pulled that one out. And NO ONE (and I mean no one) that I can recall ever mentioned the temperature in the game as being a factor for why Seattle didn't play well at the time.

Beyond that, the relevance of those numbers pretty much vanish. In taking a look at the roster from that Jan 16, 2011 game ... that was a playoff game that Matt Hasselbeck started. Last time I checked, I don't think he's going to be QB'ing for us on Sunday ... nor do I expect Shaun Alexander, Darrell Jackson, Lofa Tatupu, nor any of the other former Hawks from those other games listed above to be in uniform and playing on the field this Sunday. Going back to that loss to the Bears for a second, I count only 6 players played in that game who are still on the roster today. But if Vikings fans want to hold on to that frozen herring, who am I to dash their hopes? I fully expect the Hawks themselves to do that for them this Sunday.

Great words Scanner.....but one thing stood out for me....Lofa. Lofa Tatupu is not playing for us now but was there during one of them games. He can bring the experience he has to the fore with that knowledge. I know the other kids playing have their own experiences, but those reinforcement words from a coach help a LOT.

A side note, Idaho potato bowl, some of the players several years ago never ever saw snow before. They saw it here and played in it for part of the experience. Bogus Basin is only about 16 miles away from the city. They went and played their game the next day. Experience is important, knowledge is important, experience trumps knowledge.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
NOLAHawk":2jp4jc2i said:
Unless they grew up in it. Ir is still impossibke. Worry about players staying positive. Its hard for a d tomrun back on the field after a fumble when teyre under the heaters . The team that wins top in Q1 wins.

I think the cold may have hurt your ability to communicate a coherent thought.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
oldhawkfan":l34xfqjk said:
NOLAHawk":l34xfqjk said:

I think the cold may have hurt your ability to communicate a coherent thought.
He's from the Big Easy, so likely something other than the cold that is scrambling his thoughts

253hawk

Reaction score
RobDaHawk":17o5yw5m said:
I know Lynch's training masks were for elevation, but I'd think they could make something similar for extremely cooled air. Like put a pocket heater inside to heat the air slightly before it goes in the lungs.......maybe I've seen too much sci-fi stuff lol.

Just a simple synthetic mask like Sherman wears helps a lot, especially one with a long neck that you can tuck under your shirt collar.

I think for that cold divisional game against the Bears after the Romo FG debacle, they had hot chocolate and soup on the sidelines in addition to the standard Gatorade. And Josh Brown had his electric pants.

Looks like a local MN company is handling the cold weather gear for both teams: http://www.startribune.com/eagan-compan ... ce=dlvr.it

fan4life

Reaction score
Russ Willstrong":2xzev0un said:
It's purely psychological and not the extreme it was decades ago.
Players who must play in freezing weather today have many more advantages.
You see many guys like Rodgers wearing a thermal base layer beneath his uniform and a handwarmer all the time. Heat packs can be sewn into warmers to keep hands comfy. James Jones of Packers even wears a hooded sweat top beneath his gear. Everyone can wear a cape and sit alongside heaters. Teddy Bridgewater wears a glove for added grip which also provides some protection against the cold. Same goes for receivers who often wear gloves to catch. Game balls are kept dry and warm to a degree and rotated in.
Remember this is a game where rich folks run after a ball and hit eachother but mostly stand for 3 hours.

Accurate description of playing in the cold (I know because I live in the land of the Frozen Tundra!) Extreme weather games typically go to the team with the highest degree of mental toughness and adaptability.

From locker room reports after MN beat GB last weekend, it sounds like many MN players are just happy they won the NFC North (no small feat given GB's dominance the last couple of years.) I'm sure the Vikes are excited for this game..... but I'm not convinced their young squad has the collective drive or leadership to 'tough out' a win.

randomation

Reaction score
20ish would be an advantage at this point there are going to be gusts down to -20 nobody is at an advantage.

JAGHAWK

Reaction score
I don't think any team has a specific advantage due to the weather. I just think it will make things just a tad more difficult for everyone all around. Breathing that cold air when you're worn down, that would be difficult for anyone trying to compete in those conditions.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
I think any advantage may be taken if the wind is blowing. Seattle's pass offense is far better than Minnesota's. If it is grounded by the wind that will help the Viking D quite a lot.