Playing in the cold.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":1amzy2oo said:
Ad Hawk":1amzy2oo said:
seahawkfreak":1amzy2oo said:
AK Hawk":1amzy2oo said:
I lived in Alaska for 18 years and worked on the North Slope for most of those years. The coldest ambient temp I've experienced is -70 F and the coldest wind chill was -105 F. Playing in 0 degree weather doesn't sound that bad as long as you have the right gear on.

The wrong gear, the right gear

What,that happen like once to you, or never? Exaggerate much?

Are you seriously questioning a North Slope worker about cold? :roll:

I lived in the AK interior for 4 years (and in Anchorage for another 6) and saw the mercury disappear for several days below the lowest visible mark at -50; some in town said they saw -60 at their place. Fairbanks gets the wonderful temperature inversions in town where -45 is common for days, but in the hills a bit out near Goldstream, it will be more than 20 degrees warmer (or not as cold :lol: ).

Ask Ivotuk what he sees in NP--99705--and beyond...

I sure am. Was stationed at FT Wainwright in the infantry for 3 years and went to school at UAF for another two. I know what cold is. Every heard of Delta Junction? You claimed -70 in your first post. I say your exaggerating.

Heard of Delta Junction? Yup. I lived on Clearwater road off of the AlCan east of town. It did indeed get that cold. I didn't say -70, the previous poster did. but wouldn't doubt what he saw. Coldfoot/Wiseman area has hit below -80. And as you would know living in the interior, it's not unusual to see well below -45 with temperature inversions. Delta was always colder than FBX/North Pole, and for longer. A slope worker would easily see colder than we did in the interior.

Check the weather record low for Delta Junction (in town) for 1998. I lived through that.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
fenderbender123":kw66x0p8 said:
Where I live, it gets really damn cold in the winters. We get temperatures close to 0, and with wind chills the temperature goes well into the negatives. I still run and sprint and do all my outdoor exercise in it. In fairness, a lot of the locals here think I'm crazy, especially when I'm only wearing a t-shirt and jeans. It's mostly psychological to me, and I would hope our players are so jacked up for the game that they barely notice the cold.

I got news for you. They don't think you're crazy because you're running in the cold, they think you're crazy because you're running in jeans.

Persanyu

Reaction score
fenderbender123":2tql8lvf said:
Where I live, it gets really damn cold in the winters. We get temperatures close to 0, and with wind chills the temperature goes well into the negatives. I still run and sprint and do all my outdoor exercise in it. In fairness, a lot of the locals here think I'm crazy, especially when I'm only wearing a t-shirt and jeans. It's mostly psychological to me, and I would hope our players are so jacked up for the game that they barely notice the cold.
It seems that your body is very strong. :mrgreen: