Playing in the cold.

RussB

Reaction score
Checked the temps on two different weather channels. Forecasts said around 7 and 10 degrees. Thats cold as shit.

ApnaHawk

Reaction score
Technology is so much different then it was back even when Willy played.

First of, Reebok used to supply the NFL with material and now its the worlds leading brand in Nike. Players have access to the most advanced thermals ever made. Not only that, everything will be heated including the sidelines. I know Green Bay's field can be heated up; I'm not quite sure the college stadium the Vikings play in have the same luxury.

With new technology gloves and heat packs readily available and all types of injections the players probably have now, I'm sure they can battle it much better than before. I doubt ownership on both sides would want to risk their multi million dollar investments like the old days.

One thing that scares me is if the field isn't heated, how hard it will be. I remember one year Carlson got flipped upside down in Chicago and hit his head hard. Concussed out of the game. The year we went to the playoffs with a 7-9 record. I know we will win, but hopefully the win doesn't result in a key injury.

Stainlesssteve

Reaction score
It seems a little ridiculous to me that any NFL team should play 16 games under "normal" weather conditions, then play a winner take all game in sub-zero conditions. It seems unfair to BOTH teams. Will the BEST team really prevail under those conditions or just the team that is the best at dealing with sub zero weather?

Uncle Si

Reaction score
RussB":1wfl1d1v said:
Checked the temps on two different weather channels. Forecasts said around 7 and 10 degrees. Thats cold as shit.

7 and 10 are fairly manageable...I will run in those temps here if the streets aren't too icey.

But if they are forecasting 0 to -4 with wind chill... that will be cold as a well diggers backside..

I think the players will be relatively fine. Its the fans I feel for.

http://www.startribune.com/how-does-cold-weather-impact-nfl-teams-heres-a-quick-look/364384051/

Interesting article

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
With the heated field, Wilson will still be able to scramble out of the pocket and play his game, the ball will be heated and everbody'll be wearing gloves. I think it would be a bigger issue if it was raining, what with the snaps and all and #3 scrambling.

GO HAWKS!

jammerhawk

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":1hvskv9t said:
SPIRITOF12":1hvskv9t said:
Some older Vikings fans may be able to say "been there, done that" - but this will be just as new of an experience for the Vikings players as it is for the Seahawks. Heard also today on 950 sports radio that in the coldest NFL games on record the home team won 50% of the time. So in other words no advantage for the Vikings.

Minnesota claims that the cold weather helped them go to 4 Super Bowls.

Unfortunately it hasn't helped the Vikings win any :roll: .

This is all just a distraction. The game will be played in whatever temperature it's played in, both teams will be subject to the same conditions, both teams will have to adjust to the same conditions. It will come down to whichever team can plays the best, can adjust the best, is better on the day, gets a few breaks.

I think the Hawks match better against them than the Vikings do against our guys. I'd be surprised if the Vikings can run successfully against our D and I like our pass D and pass rush if the Vikes are forced to pass. The Hawks O is better than theirs. Seattle has the OA 4th ranked total O, the 20th pass O and the 3rd rush O. Minnie by comparison has the the OA 29th ranked O, 31st pass O, and 4th rush O. Stopping their running game will be critical, laying some hats on Peterson will likely be involved. Fortunately our D is really good at stopping a running attack. Bridgewater won't beat the LOB.

It'll be cold for both sides and our team is better position to position than the Vikings with only a very few exceptions. The Hawks have the #1 rush D, the #2 pass D, the #1 scoring D. This is compared to the Vikes respective #17 rush D, #21 pass D, & 5 scoring D.

AK Hawk

Reaction score
I lived in Alaska for 18 years and worked on the North Slope for most of those years. The coldest ambient temp I've experienced is -70 F and the coldest wind chill was -105 F. Playing in 0 degree weather doesn't sound that bad as long as you have the right gear on.

The wrong gear, the right gear

Attachments

• Cold1.jpg
    Cold1.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 1,193
  • cold2.jpg
    cold2.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 1,134

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Stainlesssteve":anxpdszt said:
It seems a little ridiculous to me that any NFL team should play 16 games under "normal" weather conditions, then play a winner take all game in sub-zero conditions. It seems unfair to BOTH teams. Will the BEST team really prevail under those conditions or just the team that is the best at dealing with sub zero weather?

That's why Minnesota has a dome stadium being built, just not this year.

It's football, if there's a sport where the players are suppose to be tough and suck it up for a game, it's this sport.

Bottom line for me, if we lose because of the weather? Did we really deserve to be there in the first place?

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
AK Hawk":gv6zwc34 said:
I lived in Alaska for 18 years and worked on the North Slope for most of those years. The coldest ambient temp I've experienced is -70 F and the coldest wind chill was -105 F. Playing in 0 degree weather doesn't sound that bad as long as you have the right gear on.

What,that happen like once to you, or never? Exaggerate much?

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":ri1lfeda said:
AK Hawk":ri1lfeda said:

Are you seriously questioning a North Slope worker about cold? :roll:

I lived in the AK interior for 4 years (and in Anchorage for another 6) and saw the mercury disappear for several days below the lowest visible mark at -50; some in town said they saw -60 at their place. Fairbanks gets the wonderful temperature inversions in town where -45 is common for days, but in the hills a bit out near Goldstream, it will be more than 20 degrees warmer (or not as cold :lol: ).

Ask Ivotuk what he sees in NP--99705--and beyond...

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
ApnaHawk":2m9wc4sc said:
Technology is so much different then it was back even when Willy played.

First of, Reebok used to supply the NFL with material and now its the worlds leading brand in Nike. Players have access to the most advanced thermals ever made. Not only that, everything will be heated including the sidelines. I know Green Bay's field can be heated up; I'm not quite sure the college stadium the Vikings play in have the same luxury.

With new technology gloves and heat packs readily available and all types of injections the players probably have now, I'm sure they can battle it much better than before. I doubt ownership on both sides would want to risk their multi million dollar investments like the old days.

One thing that scares me is if the field isn't heated, how hard it will be. I remember one year Carlson got flipped upside down in Chicago and hit his head hard. Concussed out of the game. The year we went to the playoffs with a 7-9 record. I know we will win, but hopefully the win doesn't result in a key injury.

This was the field that Brett Favre got a concussion getting tackled to the turf. The 2009-2010 Vikings moved games to TCF after the metrodome roof caved in but the stadium was already winterized and had to be prepped to play in matter of days. Field was like concrete.
Since then they have installed hydronic heating under the turf. There are also many heated areas and ammenities added since. The conditions on the field will be better than in the bleachers where winds swirl.
Besides a jacket, hat and mitts, I would bring a blanket, seat cushions and a pad for my feet. But im a wimp.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
50 bucks for upper sideline tixlckets through stubhub. 160 for lower level sideline tickets. This cold weather is a plus for those who are seeking tickets. Many seats available as low as 42 bucks. Visitor sideline is on the south where you are in the shadows but it wont matter too much because the biting wind will make its rounds.
Good luck and Go Hawks!!

sedrohawk

Reaction score
I worry about pete chipping some of his teeth chewing frozen bubble gum!

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
Russell Wilson Speaks ...

I didn't see this posted anywhere else (my apologies if it has), but I just came across this and thought people would be obviously interested. Russell Wilson was asked by the media yesterday at the VMAC about playing in the cold. You can watch for yourselves what he had to say regarding his experience with it and how he sees it affecting this game ...

http://mynorthwest.com/292/2887436/...son-on-his-experience-playing-in-cold-weather

NINEster

Reaction score
This ultra cold weather is tending to make this a game with a potential total score around 15-17 (and not a shut out).

Re-watch SF/GB, 2013 wildcard.....similar weather there.

I think had it been a 40-50 degree day instead of 5, SF would have won more comfortably. SF was built for the cold weather more and still it was tough.

The Panther game the week after was easier.

I think cold weather does help the dog more than the favorite, absolutely.

No guarantees of course -- SF went to Chicago in '88 NFCC and crushed them 28-3 in pretty cold weather.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Where I live, it gets really damn cold in the winters. We get temperatures close to 0, and with wind chills the temperature goes well into the negatives. I still run and sprint and do all my outdoor exercise in it. In fairness, a lot of the locals here think I'm crazy, especially when I'm only wearing a t-shirt and jeans. It's mostly psychological to me, and I would hope our players are so jacked up for the game that they barely notice the cold.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Ad Hawk":1jxvdglz said:
seahawkfreak":1jxvdglz said:
AK Hawk":1jxvdglz said:

Are you seriously questioning a North Slope worker about cold? :roll:

I lived in the AK interior for 4 years (and in Anchorage for another 6) and saw the mercury disappear for several days below the lowest visible mark at -50; some in town said they saw -60 at their place. Fairbanks gets the wonderful temperature inversions in town where -45 is common for days, but in the hills a bit out near Goldstream, it will be more than 20 degrees warmer (or not as cold :lol: ).

Ask Ivotuk what he sees in NP--99705--and beyond...

I sure am. Was stationed at FT Wainwright in the infantry for 3 years and went to school at UAF for another two. I know what cold is. Every heard of Delta Junction? You claimed -70 in your first post. I say your exaggerating.