POLL: Preliminary Expectations in 2024

Strictly record-wise, what are your expectations in 2024 with Mac?

• 10+ wins

Votes: 28 31.5%
  • 9-8

Votes: 23 25.8%
  • 8-9

Votes: 12 13.5%
  • 7-10

Votes: 15 16.9%
  • 6-11

Votes: 7 7.9%
  • 5 wins or worse

Votes: 4 4.5%

• Total voters

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Credit to Welshers and any others bringing this up. A fair question for us all.

ruffENrowdy

Reaction score
I went 9-8 for now, and that's only because I want to see what coordinators they get and also what trimming they do to the roster. I am super excited for Macdonald, he's the guy I wanted for the last month. I trust they know what they are doing, but they might trade a few players to try and get draft capital to mold it into their own. My heart says over 10, but right now I'd be ok with 9-8 in the middle of a rebuild if necessary.

FlyingGunHawk

Reaction score
I'm going to remove my homerism hat for a minuet and try to be as candid as possible. I expect this team to improve. That being said, the gaping holes on the roster cannot be ignored. Offensively, the Seahawks have weapons and I think the new regime can really utilize it to score a decent number of points... Because they are going to need to if they want to be competitive within our own division.

On the flipside, the lack of effort in the tackling from our defense is really discouraging to watch as a fan and this needs to be addressed. This is not just a 1-season anomaly either. With all respect, the tackling has been atrocious the last couple of seasons.

Remember how good the Seahawks used to be at tackling? I do. And that was the last time I felt that the Seahawks were actually contenders. Not just minor contenders looking for a playoff spot, but REAL contenders. We got some contact mammoths on the defensive side of the ball and that also needs to be addressed.

ElvisInBlue

Reaction score
Voted 7-10 assuming the 6yr contract is a nod to at least a minor rebuild.

If they aggressively cut the fat, it will take a couple offseasons to restock the talent.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I'm going to remove my homerism hat for a minuet and try to be as candid as possible. I expect this team to improve. That being said, the gaping holes on the roster cannot be ignored. Offensively, the Seahawks have weapons and I think the new regime can really utilize it to score a decent number of points... Because they are going to need to if they want to be competitive within our own division.

On the flipside, the lack of effort in the tackling from our defense is really discouraging to watch as a fan and this needs to be addressed. This is not just a 1-season anomaly either. With all respect, the tackling has been atrocious the last couple of seasons.

Remember how good the Seahawks used to be at tackling? I do. And that was the last time I felt that the Seahawks were actually contenders. Not just minor contenders looking for a playoff spot, but REAL contenders. We got some contact mammoths on the defensive side of the ball and that also needs to be addressed.

Not only do I remember how good they used to be at tackling but I remember they were leaders in the league for proper tackling technique. I recall the videos showcasing the proper form given the new rules years ago.

It’s been a sad decline from then to now but I fully expect Big Mac to rectify that situation right quick.

Fade

Reaction score
Too many variables at this point.

Another year of Geno? Do they draft a QB early in the draft?

How big of a leap can the defense make in year 1 under MM? It's going to improve, but by how much. It's hard to make that determination given they haven't yet acquired any new pieces yet.

Can they fix the interior of the offensive line, the 2nd weakest link on the team besides the coaching last year?

Hypothetically, if Mike was the coach last year, it's a 12 win team. You don't lose to the Rams twice, you don't bungle it against the Bengals. and you don't have backup QBs looking like all-pros against you like Mason Rudolph. Now maybe you lose other games, but ultimately, Mike Macdonald is a +3 over Pete at this juncture.

olyfan63

Reaction score
I went with 7-10 because I view this as a higher end version of Pete's first couple years. 7-9, 7-9, then 11-5, 13-3 and Lombardi, 12-4 and 12-4 and NFC Champs, followed by paying Russell and a slide into above-average mediocrity.

It's a rebuild, but because there is more talent on the team than when Pete started, I'm hoping for only one year of suffering while MMac reshapes the roster to get the players needed to run his full system. I confess I laughed at the idea of 10+ wins; I mean, sure it COULD happen, but is it likely, no, not with all the change, new systems, player changes, etc.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
I voted 6-11. Probably will be better than that, but who knows.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score

The tackling improved the second Macdonald walked in the building

bigcc

Reaction score
0-17 after losing every game by exactly 3 points and then running the table every year afterwards with a Texans style rejuvenating draft and the salary cap in a more manageable place

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
I'm not even going to define an expectation at this point. I just want to roll with whatever happens.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
The defense is going to have such a high turnover, it's hard to say. Likely to cut Adams and Diggs. No LB currently under contract. Is Williams coming back?

I think this is a good thing for the record. Let Macdonald get some guys to play how he wants.

Jac

Reaction score
It's a new coach and tough home slate...but I think it could be around 9-8 or 8-9 because we're going to be a smarter/more adaptable team, and the defense can only get better (and, of course, it's Macdonald so this is an extreme understatement). We also have a number of players who could play up to their name/talent under a new coach. It's highly contingent on what they do at QB, though. If they start rebuilding with a rookie (my hope), that's going go shave wins. No matter what, next year is about cleaning up the roster and showing flashes of the years to come.

hoxrox

Reaction score
There's going to be a learning curve and growing pains. I'd be surprised if they come out of the gate gang busters.

Holmgren's record, his first 4 years in Seattle:

Carroll's record, his first 4 years in Seattle:

These coaches had prior HC experience.

First time HC? In this division? Savant or not. No lofty expectations here.

GemCity

Reaction score
8-9. I believe MM is going to be a great coach but I don’t think he’s going to take this team, in its current state, further than Pete did.

With a few more draft pics and players getting experience within his system, I have faith he’ll have us on the right track and back to being competitive.

Things take time…sometimes.

Last edited:

WarHawks

Reaction score
If they rip the bandaid off and start a rookie at qb, then 6-7 wins this year, a great draft in 25, and 10+ wins thereafter. If they start Geno, then more 8-9 win purgatory, although maybe 10 if the D improves. That's my macro view of it. I'm willing to suffer for a year if it means long term success thereafter. I would rather dump Geno and start fresh. It's a new era.