POLL: Preliminary Expectations in 2024

Strictly record-wise, what are your expectations in 2024 with Mac?

• 10+ wins

Votes: 28 31.5%
  • 9-8

Votes: 23 25.8%
  • 8-9

Votes: 12 13.5%
  • 7-10

Votes: 15 16.9%
  • 6-11

Votes: 7 7.9%
  • 5 wins or worse

Votes: 4 4.5%

• Total voters

MyrtleHawk

Can I get a hoyyaaa
Reaction score
My homerism hat is on and I don't care who sees me wearing it.

I voted 10+ wins because we have more talent on the team than a lot of people remember and if we can get a knockout at OC, I think that MM will bring out the best in the Defense despite the fat needing to be trimmed.

This will not be the Seahawks of the past 6 years.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Macdonald's first season will be a success with just TWO wins. ONE over the 49ERS, and ONE over the RAMS. No more season sweeps by McShanahanVay. Any wins in addition to those two are gravy.

xray

Reaction score
Imo , the NFC west will be a tough division to win in again this coming season . SF and LA are always a headache for the Hawks and even AZ will surely be better in 2024 . I don't know the stats for the success rates of 1st year HCs in the NFL ; but I bet it's not a walk in the park for most of them . I intend to relax this coming season and not expect too much . Hope for the best ; but be prepared for the worst , is the way to go for me .

Aircrew

Reaction score
I went 9-8 for now, and that's only because I want to see what coordinators they get and also what trimming they do to the roster. I am super excited for Macdonald, he's the guy I wanted for the last month. I trust they know what they are doing, but they might trade a few players to try and get draft capital to mold it into their own. My heart says over 10, but right now I'd be ok with 9-8 in the middle of a rebuild if necessary.
This.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
It seems we have 2 camps.

Camp 1 thinks we were close and if only our defense didn’t suck we would be in the playoffs. They expect a vastly improved defense and have highEd expectations for wins.

Camp 2 thinks there is a ton of holes on the team and we are going to finally rebuild at least to some extent and they are expecting less wins.

sutz

Reaction score
9-8. Was tempted to say 8-9, but I'm in Camp 1 (from above). I think they hang onto Geno and improve motivation on the D. I expect guys on D to be more assignment correct and better at tackling.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
My guess is a minor rebuild the next two years and probably a new qb at some point which will have growing pains as well. Ceiling is 10..floor 7. It's too early to tell.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
I'm honestly surprised to see so many votes for 10+. I voted 8-9 and I would not be overly surprised or concerned with a lower win total. Significant changes will need time to evolve into increased wins.

Wsumatt1982

Reaction score
I voted 5 wins or worse. The coaching at a minimum will be a complete rebuild and will take time to learn what the coaches are preaching. It will take time to see does and doesn’t buy in. I really have no expectations and am good with whatever happens. I think this roster is likely a few years away. Yes we were one win away from the playoffs or a GB loss.

I feel a step back, take this year as a learning curve. Learning schemes, learning about each other both from a player and a coach standpoint. Learning your strengths and weaknesses will go a long way in the long run in building a sustainable winning product while cutting the fat over the next couple years.

Great question!

scutterhawk

Reaction score
9-8. Was tempted to say 8-9, but I'm in Camp 1 (from above). I think they hang onto Geno and improve motivation on the D. I expect guys on D to be more assignment correct and better at tackling.
This^ and I have a hunch that Mac is going to try and get a couple of his guys from the Ravens 'D' to come in and help get Macdonald's scheme into a more familiar groove.

hawker84

Reaction score
I see 10 plus wins. The core pieces are already hete, just need to bring in some good coaches and a few key free agents.

JPatera76

Reaction score
I set the bar low 6-11, not that I don’t have faith but new coach, new staff, new Seahawks. There’s going to be things to work out. And if they exceed that, hell yes awesome

bileever

Reaction score
I feel like we might as well be optimistic. It's not like the cupboard is bare, we have some good pieces already. DeMeco Ryans came into Houston and turned around a team that was terrible in one season. Of course, it helped that he had CJ Stroud. Sean McVay, Matt LaFleur and Kevin O'Connell also turned teams around in their first year, so it does happen.

The Grouch

Reaction score
10+ wins are attainable. Getting rid of stale bread, no matter how fresh it was 10 years ago is still an upgrade.
Lots of talent on this team. Some players will course correct with a new vision and different methods (and schemes).
High performers will (almost) always be high performers.
I believe the real impact of this coaching change will be felt the most in the middle and bottom of the roster, both by improved play and through addition by subtraction.
(And another solid draft class and 1 or 2 key FA's wouldn't hurt)

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
I don't get how 10 wins is seemingly out of reach for some people. If they did nothing but add Macdonald, and you look at this last season, 10 wins isn't hard at all.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I'm worried this dude isn't going to get a lick of grace from anyone here if we're already starting the guy off at 10+ wins as an expectation.

It's not out of reach, but this is about expectations, not ceiling.

I answered 8.

We'll be installing a brand new offense, a brand new defense, and doing it with a first time HC, first time NFL OC, and possible first time DC. I can't put 10 wins as my expectation with that reality in mind.

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
I'm worried this dude isn't going to get a lick of grace from anyone here if we're already starting the guy off at 10+ wins as an expectation.

It's not out of reach, but this is about expectations, not ceiling.

I answered 8.

We'll be installing a brand new offense, a brand new defense, and doing it with a first time HC, first time NFL OC, and possible first time DC. I can't put 10 wins as my expectation with that reality in mind.
I see Waldron to new OC being a wash. No negative nor positive effect on the results vs year prior. Macdonald is a positive effect on the results vs year prior. Low of 8 wins, high of 11, likely result of 10.

Completely pulled out of thin air.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
I'm not expecting a huge first season from MM
He has to take out the trash and build it up to what he wants
and that is going to take time.

renofox

Reaction score
Take a look at the actual players on the 2024 roster and the available cap space.

The Seahawks have negative cap and need to replace about 15 starters and contributors after they make the cuts needed to have minimal cap space. They also need to upgrade depth across the board.

The Seahawks have a grand total of one (1) player who has recently played at an elite level. Maybe another 3 or 4 who were substantially above average. The current 2024 depth chart is 90% practice squadders, scrubs, and replacement level players.

All those talking about this great roster are overly optimistic, IMO. There are a few that can elevate to elite, quite a few more who can elevate to quality, and many who could elevate to above replacement level, but none of those are guaranteed to do so.

I have full confidence that MM will be able to coach up many of the players. I also have confidence that JS will be able to drastically improve this roster over the next 2-4 years.

I think that many will be disappointed in the roster that takes the field for 2024 game 1. At least those who take off the Seahawks goggles and look at what we really have.

I just hope JS doesn't continue the recent practice of pushing too much cap into the future. The Seahawks need to break that cycle or else they'll just stay in the current hole of having too many needs and not near enough cap to acquire quality players.

One or two not-so-great roster years is a necessary price to pay to put yourself in a position to finally build a top level roster in year 3 or 4.

nanomoz

Reaction score
Give them a couple of years. I suspect they'll be a lot younger on defense next year. Growing pains are inevitable.