Poll: Who initiated the letting go of the coaches?

Poll: Who initiated the letting go of the coaches?

• Carroll

Votes: 64 45.7%
  • Schneider

Votes: 27 19.3%
  • Paul Allen

Votes: 49 35.0%

• Total voters

Natethegreat

Reaction score
brimsalabim":2ghecvxa said:
AgentDib":2ghecvxa said:
Paul is the perfect owner in that he hires a guy and lets them do their thing without micromanaging. He spends much less time thinking about the Hawks every day than most of the posters here do.

Pete is John's boss. I'm not sure how John is even a poll option, unless it's in the uninformed "Pete didn't know it was possible until John brought it up to him" sort of way.
So do you believe Paul Allen helped create Microsoft by allowing department heads who weren’t getting the job done to hang around and continue making mistakes? Pete went on record earlier saying that he expected no changes so this came from over his head.
He did? when and where did you see that? Paul Allen had absolutely nothing to do with this. JS I'm sure was part of the process no doubt. Some people are so caught up in being angry at Pete for not making this decision sooner that they cant even allow for him making it now. :roll:

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
Their absolutely abhorrent performance initiated the draining of the swamp.

Cleveland had more rushing yards than our offense produced under their leadership. What was their record again?

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Paul Allen is, first and foremost, an incredibly successful businessman. He stays out of the day to day football operations, but I am sure he has his finger on the pulse of the business side of the Seahawks operation. Maybe through focus groups, maybe through managers, but he is keenly aware of where the business is going.

I can't be the only person out here who, after several years of looking for season tickets, suddenly has several offers on the table, some of which were conditional on what happens with Cable and Bevell.

I have to think that Allen and his management group have heard of this, and see the writing on the wall. For that reason, I actually do think that he very well may have called a meeting with Carroll and Schneider to discuss this. I'm sure they all knew what needed to happen, but I would be very surprised if, given the looming business situation, Paul Allen didn't get directly involved.

I doubt he would have in any year prior, when there wasn't a potential business issue, but it is different this year, and it certainly appeared that Carroll wasn't making the move on his own, and any pressure from Schneider wasn't moving him.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Seriously...If you believe that the offensive coordinator and associate head coaches were fired without the owners consent then you don't know your ass from a hole in the ground.

chris98251

Reaction score
GM and Executive President and Head Coach, hmm why even have them if you have to run everything by Paul OC and O line Coach, yeah Pete and John have no clue about how to deal with that aspect of the team, they need a Computer Nerd who is very rich and plays Guitar for fun with celebrities to tell them whether or not they can Hire and Fire guys. Guess having all those Football guys working for him was just for appearances, Paul is actually making all the calls on the team.

I do have dirt all over my ass though.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
I'll say Pete.

Pete does have a reputation for not firing his assistants, but even for him enough is enough. And it would have been an easy conversation to have considering how much time they've had to correct the offensive deficiencies.

Fade

Reaction score
Pete w/conversations from John and his input helped sway him to do the obvious.

Mojambo

Reaction score
Last I heard, Pete Carroll has full control of the football operations. This was Pete Carroll's decision.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Mojambo":ig91m8w1 said:
Last I heard, Pete Carroll has full control of the football operations. This was Pete Carroll's decision.

Didn't know Carroll was the owner of the Seahawks.

Mojambo

Reaction score
Not the owner, but the owner gave him FULL CONTROL OF FOOTBALL OPERATIONS, including personnel.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":20bcns8d said:
Mojambo":20bcns8d said:

How did you bridge "total control over football operations" to owner of the team?

Any large corporation or company that owns multiple assets will allow it's managers, CEO's etc to make day to day decisions.......................and if the bottom line or operations don't look like they're going in the right direction? He or they will step in.

This situation is no different, Allen owns dozens of companies. He gave Pete total control to make these sorts of coaching decisions, as with all the football operation decisions. Doesn't mean Allen didn't have input into the direction of the team, and give Pete his two cents.

But in the end these firings were Pete, and Pete alone. If it wasn't? Then Pete would quit, because that's not the agreement he had with Allen 8 years ago when he was hired. It literally was the main reason he came to Seattle, total control.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Mojambo":13fvc25t said:
Not the owner, but the owner gave him FULL CONTROL OF FOOTBALL OPERATIONS, including personnel.

It is totally plausible that Carroll made the decision for letting the guys go but I guarantee that this was all discussed in a room with, at the very least, PA, JS and PC. It is not like Pete passed Paul in the hallway and said, "hey boss how are you".

Paul responds by saying, " great Pete anything new?"

"No not really, oh fired our OC and O-line coach"

"Really, wow, let me know how that works out. Alright peace out, gotta go do my billionaire stuff."

Also, if Pete said I want to fire the OC and OLC and Paul said I think we should keep them, DB and TC would still be here. This was a long discussion in a room where everyone agreed on the decision, not some solely hammer down firing.

mikeak

Reaction score
chris98251":38kv1orl said:
Don't think it was Paul, he doesn't get involved in day to day operations much unless it's a huge contract or a Front office guy.

This is not day-to-day operations. This is everything but

I think Schneider drove it as in "you don't let me interview (better believe that was Allen's decision) then let me run the organization.....

But Allen is not a stranger to changing things up. He just does it quietly to empower his employees and leaders and not to undermine them

I certainly believe he initiated it by asking pointed questions.

Check this article about his people doing the same in Portland

https://ripcityproject.com/2017/12/29/p ... s-answers/

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3hp65llm said:
seahawkfreak":3hp65llm said:
Mojambo":3hp65llm said:

How did you bridge "total control over football operations" to owner of the team?

Any large corporation or company that owns multiple assets will allow it's managers, CEO's etc to make day to day decisions.......................and if the bottom line or operations don't look like they're going in the right direction? He or they will step in.

This situation is no different, Allen owns dozens of companies. He gave Pete total control to make these sorts of coaching decisions, as with all the football operation decisions. Doesn't mean Allen didn't have input into the direction of the team, and give Pete his two cents.

But in the end these firings were Pete, and Pete alone. If it wasn't? Then Pete would quit, because that's not the agreement he had with Allen 8 years ago when he was hired. It literally was the main reason he came to Seattle, total control.

Allen still has final say over decisions made with the team. JS is the GM but every trade and free agent signings still has to get the ok by PA. Remember when Paul closed the door on Kam's hold out. That wasn't JS. If I remember correctly as well, PA was very involved when we traded Harvin away.

mikeak

Reaction score
Coug_Hawk08":1ilvaett said:
I am surprised by how many people voted Allen.

We may work for real companies where we know that the invisible hand absolutely can initiate these things

At a minimum I am sure Paul Allen signed off on it before it was a done deal.

I think the meeting went more like this
PA - so what do we want to change for next year (you better freaking say OC and OL coach or I will say it)

PC & JS - well might be time for some offensive changes

PA - I agree ok will you let Cable and Bevell know or should I

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Everything that has been reported indicates that Carroll made the decision. Paul Allen is too smart of an owner to interject himself into a coaching decision. And Schneider works for Carroll.

Mojambo

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":1hjcza1d said:
Mojambo":1hjcza1d said:

Also, if Pete said I want to fire the OC and OLC and Paul said I think we should keep them, DB and TC would still be here.

And Pete Carroll likely wouldn't be here. He has control over these decisions. Yes, Paul Allen can override, but it would almost certainly usher the end of Carroll's time here. He came here for total control.

Latest posts