Poll: YOU are GM, extend Russell at $50 million per?

Would you extend Russell for $50 million per year after next season if you were the GM?

• Yes, Only with new coach

Votes: 3 4.5%
  • No, matter who is HC

Votes: 50 75.8%
  • Yes. No matter who is HC

Votes: 11 16.7%
  • Yes , only if Pete is HC

Votes: 2 3.0%

• Total voters

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
Im in the No camp, no matter who's coaching. I don't see a realistic path for sustained winning if you pay Russell that much for another 3-5 years at his production level.

Throwdown

Reaction score
He’ll be what 35+ for his next contract?

I really have a hard time justifying that after what we’ve seen the last season and a half. If I know I need to put a quality run game around him to maximize his abilities Im hesitant to make that financial commitment knowing I gotta build a team around him. Not to mention if Darrell Taylor and Jordyn Brooks keep developing at the pace they are, those contracts are gonna be enormous as well.

I lean towards no.

Jville

Reaction score
My apologies for abstaining from selecting a polling choice.

My explanation is that I think a GM would best keep his options open. Include the possibility of an extension while managing and shaping the immediate cap budget. But delay any extension decision a full year. I'm open to seeing how well Russell works, in year two, with his latest offensive coordinator.

seabowl

Reaction score
Unfortunately No if Pete is the coach. Those two can’t get on the same page. It would be better to trade Russ and get as much for him now while installing what Pete really wants which is a game manager so he can run the ball.

flv

Reaction score
Wilson is under contract for the next 2 years at $24M & $27M. There's no need to extend him, but if he does want an extension it'll be closer to $27M than $50M. It's almost as if some fans had an agenda...

AgentDib

Reaction score
Wilson's cap hits are $37m and $40m the next two seasons. An extension would happen next off-season, where we'd probably tack on something in the order of 120m over 3 seasons with a 70m signing bonus (ie. really a 4 year/147m deal). I wouldn't be surprised if this FO threw a void year or two at the end either.

That would significantly lower the 2023 cap hit, we'd have another one or two seasons of competing, and then Pete would retire and then we'd need to blow up our roster and go through a real rebuild for a couple of seasons while fixing our salary cap.

nwHawk

Reaction score
When looking at a potential extension next season for Wilson I’d agree it’ll take somewhere around 3/$120 mil. I would pass and go back to developing a strong core and roll the dice with a young QB. The league evolves over time, why shouldn’t the Seahawks.

toffee

Reaction score
As a Wilson homer, I would say that he will get $50m but not from Jody's team.

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
This will probably not be a popular opinion - but I think NO.

For the following 2 reasons:

1. I don't think Russ is a 'complete' quarterback. Now that he's not as mobile, it's really revealed holes in his game over the last couple years. He doesn't trust timing and/or covered routes. He doesn't throw underneath. He's getting sacked at like what seems a 50% level when he's trying to run out of pressure.

2. After reading other posters comments - I just don't think he suits PC's game strategy. Other than the 'win in the 4th quarter stuff' - i just don't see them on the same page.

I don't think he's worth that much money, although I do understand that the trend in the NFL is these crazy QB contracts and making them the center of the team.

If you are PC, and you actually want to run the ball. If you actually don't want underneath and intermediate passing attempts because of turnovers. And if you can't trust your QB to force at least a few throws to your megatron-like-RW-in-training, Mr. DK when he's in single and double coverage - then no.

I think Russ stalled and regressed after he got paid. IF PC is to stick around, and the back-end formula doesn't change? Put the money into the defense. Get a game manager quarterback who's got some upside. Attempt to fix the o-line enough so that an intermediate+ QB doesn't get killed.

Would i eat crow if Russ ends up on another team and kills it? Sure will. BUT, I just don't think the PC system is for Russ.

I know the cap is set to go up here - but 50MM+? Nope.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
I like RW but would not extend him with his current contract numbers.

HawkinNY

Reaction score
I would def not at that price. It’s hard enough to have a high end team with a high priced QB. ESP one that doesn’t play at the highest level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Elemas

Reaction score
No one’s worth 50.

I’d extend him and put these maniacs to bed.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I wouldn't pay Rodgers $50m a year let alone Russell. Any team that has a QB sucking up that amount of cap is not going to the SB. You need him at a reasonable rate to afford surrounding players that can help get you there.

massari

Reaction score
Some lady on the interweb named Matty Brown says Wilson sucks. We need to listen to her. Trade Russ before too late.

James in PA

Reaction score
Hell no, and that's with or without an offensive-minded HC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

toffee

Reaction score
massari":2tpqcxbk said:
Some lady on the interweb named Matty Brown says Wilson sucks. We need to listen to her. Trade Russ before too late.

So you are showing your disagreement with Mr. Matty Brown by addressing him as a woman?

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
It does not work like that.

QBs are expensive. So Elite QBs tend to go to the SB every 4-5th year.

But they tend to be top teams and in the playoffs for a decade.

Winning teams have great QBs.

It used to be the key thing that determined the success of a team was the quality of the coach. That was the #1 thing. Great coaches tended to win.

The rule changes have altered that. The key factor that determines the success of a team is now the QB.

Look at Denver and San Diego as perfect examples. San Diego isn't great. But they are going to be a playoff team shortly. Cincy already is, and did not really improve that much besides the QB play and the WR.

Meanwhile Denver is stacked. That defense was also legit. But the coach was still fired. Because they had no QB.

You get rid of Wilson, you get rid of your future unless you can find another great QB. (The good news, as others have pointed out, is that JS seems to have some sort of sixth sense for who is going to be a stud QB. So maybe slim chance we can find another - but long odds...)

Regardless, if you don't have a plan to get a great QB, you cannot let Wilson go. Because there is no playoff future without him.

Is going to the playoffs for another 5 years, and maybe making 1 more SB appearance worth it? Then you extend him (if possible).

Unless you just want to burn it all to the ground and start over. But you aren't running it back without him.

massari

Reaction score
toffee":3tr9v9l6 said:
So you are showing your disagreement with Mr. Matty Brown by addressing him as a woman?
What? Is being a lady insulting to you?

Many on this website treat that blogger like a football guru. I think he/she is too. Trade Russ before too late.

Rat

Reaction score
I wouldnt be shocked if there's a holdout coming from Russ in the near future, particularly after seeing what guys like Mahomes, Allen, Rodgers, Dak, etc have gotten. It'd probably be in his best interests to get that new deal as soon as possible. Stafford could be in that same boat.

Definitely not $50 million per year though. I'm not paying anyone that. Maybe I'd consider giving him the kind of deal Tom Brady most recently got, although I'm sure he'll want something for longer.

Latest posts