jake206

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/SeaHawkRun/status/799079303266713600[/tweet]
[tweet]https://twitter.com/gbellseattle/status/799002219831906304[/tweet]
[tweet]https://twitter.com/scohenPI/status/799738092252893184[/tweet]

tmobilchawker79

Reaction score
Yeah this coach speak is total crap.

Pope was a guy that didn't make the 53 at the beginning of the year when everyone was healthy.

He's slight, doesn't play special teams, and was discarded. If he would've made it through waivers he may have been put on the practice squad. Now I'm supposed to believe that all of a sudden he needs to be on the everyday 53 man roster?

I'm not sure I understand why we're being sold so aggressively. He's like mini Rawls, yet everything the coaches say is that he's totally unique.

Trying to understand the angle.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
CHawkTailGator":12fmo4uk said:

Pope was a guy that didn't make the 53 at the beginning of the year when everyone was healthy.

He's slight, doesn't play special teams, and was discarded. If he would've made it through waivers he may have been put on the practice squad. Now I'm supposed to believe that all of a sudden he needs to be on the everyday 53 man roster?

I'm not sure I understand why we're being sold so aggressively. He's like mini Rawls, yet everything the coaches say is that he's totally unique.

Umm you do know that Pope confirm that Seahawks was going to put him in practice squad but the Jets snatched him, so it's not coach speak if Pope had said exactly what went down.

He also made more money being on the active roster with the Jets.

Pope says the Seahawks told him they hoped to re-sign him to the practice squad. Instead, Pope was claimed on waivers by the Jets within a couple of hours.

Source: http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/seah ... -seahawks/

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
I hope to see him get more than a few carries. Will be kinda cool to see a slightly faster version of Forsett come squirting out of a pinhole.

DHawk

Reaction score
They gambled and lost earlier with that roster move. He shined in preseason, I'm hoping it can happen again!

Bobblehead

Reaction score
I';m hoping as well, but that he obviously didn't in NY, concerns me somewhat.

johnnyfever

Reaction score
Largent80":1kkoau60 said:
He also reminds me of Sproles. He's 5'9" but 207, which is stout for that height.
To put it in perspective, lynch was 5-11 and 215. Not a huge difference and we saw what lynch could do. If pope put some more muscle on by next year, he might be a hell of a bruiser.

edogg23

Reaction score
CHawkTailGator":3b0nsrpu said:

Doesn't he run back kickoffs? that counts as special teams to me.

Jville

Reaction score
edogg23":226sa9tw said:
CHawkTailGator":226sa9tw said:

Doesn't he run back kickoffs? that counts as special teams to me.

Yes he does. Pope is a dangerous kick returner. :2thumbs: He excels at it!

scutterhawk

Reaction score
CHawkTailGator":1bl82z3c said:

You're wrong on several "Angles".... 1.> He CAN do Kick Returns (which is ST duty).. 2.> He's 5'-9" Weighs 209 (not slight by any means)..3.>His 2016 pre-season stats are almost identical to those of the 2015 pre-season numbers put up by Rawls (Both players stacked their stats while playing against scrubs).
As far as the Seahawks trying to stash him on the PS, he was not DRAFTED, and was a "Johnny Come Lately" to the 98 man roster, they thought they'd have a better chance at sneaking him through than if they'd tried it with Collins, the Jets as well as other teams pay close attention to what Pete Carroll and the Seahawks do in manning up our roster.
The jets came across a Bigger Named RB, and voila, we get back our intended stash player.
We don't know for a fact, that he'll be successful on the active roster, but we've been giving Collins & others a chance to shine, so the Seahawks could be thinking, maybe it's time to see what he can do with his opportunity.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
No offense to Pope, but I hope we never see the guy, cause that means Rawls and Prosise are killin' it.

HawkerD

Reaction score
I predict Pope is active this week and he gets 3 carries against Philly. These UDFA are hungry SOB's with big chips on their shoulder. No one thought Rawls was going to run like he did when he came in for Lynch and he just balled out! I want the coaches to get a look at Pope so they can really see if there is potential there.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
I'd be shocked if he got a meaningful carry this season.

Love what he did in pre season, still think he offers more than Collins, but hoping he contributes anything this year is just wishful thinking imo. Rawls and Prosise are the running backs this year, barring injury

StoneCold

Reaction score
Jerhawk":3mm8dwxa said:
I'd be shocked if he got a meaningful carry this season.

Love what he did in pre season, still think he offers more than Collins, but hoping he contributes anything this year is just wishful thinking imo. Rawls and Prosise are the running backs this year, barring injury

He'll get a few carries in the 4th quarter when we're up 37 - 6 over the Eagles this Sunday.

Book it Danno!

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
CHawkTailGator":3kbxj91t said:

1. I don't get the "slight" angle, dude is 5'9, 205... there are backs lighter than him in this league that have carved a niche for themselves.

2. The dude returned kicks for the Seahawks in the PS and looked pretty good at it.

3. As the dude said above, Pope got lost in the numbers game, Seahawks wanted to stash him on the P-Squad but he got claimed by the Jets. Once he became available again they went after him.

4. There is no angle, hes not being counted on as a savior. But I wouldn't discount the "hype" that surrounds him either. He's not being called up to replace an injury riddled position. The Seahawks effectively swapped Pope for their most experienced and most productive RB who was just cut. That wasn't without reason, Pope likely competed and earned his promotion through hard work, for showing he can fit in Cable's system both in PS and in recent weeks in practice. Always compete... Popes hard work as well as Rawls returning made CMike expendable.

Whether or not, he sees the field... I cannot say but nonetheless hes grinding his way into the equation.

5. I find it ironic that fans, especially fans of this specific team, continue to underestimate players that don't fit thier prototype or any generic prototype. I'm definately guilty of this as well. But in this system under Carroll we've seen countless "limited"players rise into roles over the years. Size and athleticism isn't everything a football player needs to be successful. Motivation, Constituition, Integrity, Passion amongst other intangibles to take the talent they have and find success with it. There is a label for players who lack elite size and/or athleticism but have all the intangibles to be successful... overachievers... consummate football players.

However, two of the hardest intangibles to coach at this level is toughness and grit. It's not something you can buy at the Professional level. It's not something you can half ass either. It cant just be a a mentality that you can shut on and off, it has to become a lifestyle, you have to own in how you prepare and how you perform.

Pope imo possesses that toughness and grit... not saying hes going to be a diamond in the rough and become an elite RB. No one can predict that.

However, do I believe that he will strive in doing the right things correctly the right way. Toget better in that sense in every rep and in every opportunity..And do so with the willingest to scrap, to fight, to battle for every positive yard he can get?

I think so.. he seems like one of those players... hard-nosed and determined to take this once in a lifetime opportunity and make something out of himself. And as long as he continues to put in the work each and everyday, stay positive in every struggle, learn from his mistakes, and buy into this teams philosophies inside and out... this team under Carroll will give him the opportunity to prove himself.

It's what they've always done unless pressed to play a raw player because of injures. But we've seen it then too... players stepping in and stepping up as a replacement and being rewarded with more opportunity. Fant is a great example of this, this season.

This thinking isnt just on Pope but for everyone that is a Seahawk. Some players are forced into duty because that's the best they got but if you don't meet expectations, if you don't show accountability, if you don't show improvement, understanding, willingest to compete each and everyday... you'll find yourself off this roster very fast.

That is all.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
My only issue with Pope is the one interview he gave where he sounded dumb. That led me to believe he, lime Michael, might not have the smarts to pick up the system. We have some pretty sharp cookies out there on offense, and to stay on the same page as Wilson you have to study your ass off and have the brains to process it all. No surprise our most productive receiver is Baldwin.

Otherwise, he looks like he can do the job as a backup to Rawls - probably better than Michael can.

Is that hype? I don't think so. I never rated Michael all that well. His spin move at the line blinded him to how the blocking was developing while robbing him of momentum eliminating any leverage to push the pile. He had quickness but it didn't translate north/south.

The Patriots aren't much defensively and Michael did have some good carries against them, but so did Prosise who is not supposed to be our every-down runner. Against tougher defenses, Michael was regularly stuffed.

We need guys who can produce after contact, and Pope looked to be able to do that in the pre-season, albeit against inferior opposition. However, Pope is a work in progress and shouldn't be comparable to Michael yet. The fact that he is is more a condemnation of Michael than praise for Pope, which further underlines the need to move on.

tmobilchawker79

Reaction score
Ok. After getting shelled here let me get back to the points I was trying to make:

- We just released a capable starting back and promoted a guy from the PS
- Pope has 1 carry for 1 yard in the regular season, so to look at what he did in preseason (in my opinion) is tough. Shoot, Marsh looks great in preseason. He's had what, two good games? In two years?
- I was wrong on the Special Teams. He can return. But really are we going to put No E on the bench for returns? Essentially he doesn't play ST was my point
- Collins is being demoted, inactive, whatever you wanna call it
- I see Pope's running style similar to Rawls and yet we're being told he's unlike any other backs on the roster

Again, I hope the guy does great. I'm not bagging on him. The team is full of great stories.

I just think Prosise is not a guy that you want to run between the tackles with often. Which means Rawls is that guy, and we know he's not full go yet - full workload in a game, which means Pope is that guy...not CMike...and not Collins. I find it interesting.

Latest posts