Positives so far in 2 weeks

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
2 weeks is not a trend. But it is a start.

Yesterday was a day for venting given the obvious reasons.

But it would be amazing for everyone to embrace their inner Soulfish to share some of the positives we are seeing this season and after last game.

Ultimately we are lucky to get football. That itself is a positive considering the year so far.

(Remember when Wilson once once played the whole year somewhat hobbled? With what seemed like a high ankle sprain? He refused to let that stop him. His will and belief alone have kept this team in playoff contention for some time now. The universe giving us Wilson seems like it was trying to make up for Tom Flores.)

At one time it felt we needed to trade him because we would never use him right. If we were going to just run the ball and play defense, with our defense falling apart it made no sense. But we finally abandoned doing what we were getting weaker at and focused on what we were best equipped for.

I honestly never thought I would see the day we unleashed Russ to his full potential.

Positives in no particular order:

1. Ditched our infamous 'slow start'
2. Rookie on the OL contributing
3. Wilson, Metcalf, & Lockett
4. Schotty (I never ever thought I would say this)
5. We are beating decent teams
6. Wilson embracing his inner Aaron Rodgers*
7. Adams

* Some dispute this actually happened. But since it might have led to the change, Wilson demanding and then getting change in our offense has to be a huge positive so far this season.

Even with the defensive issues, for the first time in a long time, we might be able to win a divisional playoff game. That would be a huge step forward.

What are the biggest positives so far?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Not much to add to your list, you nailed most of the positives.

I'd add the great play of the special teams. Last couple years has been shaky just about all the way around with the kickers and poor coverage units. So far it's all looked great.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
I really thought the joy of watching Russ play like this would be all anyone talked about on here.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
I'll add in RB and WR depth... particularly David Moore and Freddie Swain... and Carlos Hyde. And I'm hopeful that we also get to see John Ursua and DeeJay Dallas some time this year.

OP
OP
T

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
The numbers that Wilson is putting up are otherworldly.

9 TDs and 11 incompletions? Usually that few incompletions means the QB is throwing short passes, often to RB or WR near the LOS. Wilson is completing passes running to his left while throwing across his body to a WR running to the right...in the end zone. These are not easy completions.

But I believe Wilson has the highest rate of long passes in the NFL. And the highest success rate with them.

He had 4 long bombs in the last game and he hit on 3. You could argue he only missed that 1 because the snap was off. I was actually shocked he missed it. He rarely overthrows receivers. Not sure I can remember when he last has.

In Atlanta, he was getting constant pressure on him. And that is almost great, since he is the best QB at completing throws under pressure. I think the stats were actually better under pressure than not.

Even better is how we are starting to use the RB as a receiving threat.

Wilson has #s you cannot duplicate easily on video games. People use that kind of phrase as hyperbole all the time but I want to see how many Madden players get 9 TDs in 2 games with only 11 incs. That one INT was not even his fault.

5 TDs in one game against Bill is incredible.

When Steve Young is getting teary-eyed watching your replays, you are in incredible company. Hell, even Kurt W (who HATES the Hawks) was saying Wilson is incredible. This is like Prime Aaron Rodgers territory, above it after 2 games even.

We have to recognize this is a hot streak and not likely completely sustainable but what an incredible player he has become considering what people were saying about him after the draft.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":118lbklm said:
I'll add in RB and WR depth... particularly David Moore and Freddie Swain... and Carlos Hyde. And I'm hopeful that we also get to see John Ursua and DeeJay Dallas some time this year.

Freddie Swain looks all the world like what we hoped Ursua would turn out to be. I think his days are numbered.

That being said I think DeeJay deserves a shot once his pass protection is deemed worthy enough to start over Homer. I like Homer on special teams though. Homer isn't offering a lot on 3rd down right now as far as a weapon is concerned.

OP
OP
T

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Homer is getting better too. I'm not that happy when he totes the rock but he is aggressive in pass protection.

If we are throwing the ball in 3rd down, Homer actually seems to offer a lot. Both as a potential receiver and a guy that keeps the blitz off our QB.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Homer is a young guy. He’s good on ST and has done OK with limited carries as a running back. He averaged 6.3 yards a carry last year. He had a bad first game this year but then averaged 7 yards a carry on Sunday and had that 44-yard KR.

Rat

Reaction score
David Moore has impressed the hell out of me. Something seems different with him this year.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":29o89na5 said:
I really thought the joy of watching Russ play like this would be all anyone talked about on here.

You foolish man you! :p

The Offensive Line is giving Russell time! Damien Lewis has planted a couple of people, and I've seen some big holes to run through.

Pocic is playing well, and I was impressed by Brandon Shell. When Russell started to run towards the end zone, Shell saw that, and stayed right in front of Russ looking for someone to block.

Iupati can still move and has made some nice blocks.

Thank God we got rid of Tom Cable! Solari is such a good coach, and he's taken some good parts the Schneider plucked out of free agency and the draft, and made them damn good from the start. It's not supposed to happen that way.

Jamarco Jones can play Left Tackle.

And I'll be honest, I thought JS and Pete were making a mistake when they started loading up on OL, but I was wrong. Russell would tell me so I'm sure. This is so strange to see a functional OLine.

John63

Reaction score
ivotuk":8q5bpqhg said:
Uncle Si":8q5bpqhg said:

The Offensive Line is giving Russell time! Damien Lewis has planted a couple of people, and I've seen some big holes to run through.

Pocic is playing well, and I was impressed by Brandon Shell. When Russell started to run towards the end zone, Shell saw that, and stayed right in front of Russ looking for someone to block.

Thank God we got rid of Tom Cable! Solari is such a good coach, and he's taken some good parts the Schneider plucked out of free agency and the draft, and made them damn good from the start. It's not supposed to happen that way.

And I'll be honest, I thought JS and Pete were making a mistake when they started loading up on OL, but I was wrong. Russell would tell me so I'm sure. This is so strange to see a functional OLine.

LOL thanks for the laugh on the oline, Pressured on over 40% of his attempts, 6 sacks in 2 games, ranked 23rd sorry they are still bad. Pocic is playing better though. So strange to see people ignore the obvious and think they are even an avg oline. I guess if you keep saying it, people will believe it, to dab there are facts and stats showing otherwise. Oh and also top 5 in most peanalized olines too.

Teahawks

Reaction score
Rat":k1e5eby0 said:
David Moore has impressed the hell out of me. Something seems different with him this year.

He's finally being used right, getting the ball in space for that YAC. Screens and sweeps, etc.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Russ is just incredible.
Happy with all the receivers (kudos to Moore so far)
Wagner looks sharp again
Dickson is punting the ball well. Seems to have gotten over that sophomore slump.
Pete not running the ball insistently and allowing the offense to breath some

xray

Reaction score
Only 2 players out for the season , could of been worse . :2thumbs:

John63

Reaction score
Teahawks":35dcm0c6 said:
Rat":35dcm0c6 said:

He's finally being used right, getting the ball in space for that YAC. Screens and sweeps, etc.

I agree Moore is doing well, be interesting when the guy form NE comes back and can play or Gordon

John63

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":2wtljrog said:
Russ is just incredible.
Happy with all the receivers (kudos to Moore so far)
Wagner looks sharp again
Dickson is punting the ball well. Seems to have gotten over that sophomore slump.
Pete not running the ball insistently and allowing the offense to breath some

Agreed maybe that will give time for the defense to figure things out.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
John63":306zl1kz said:
ivotuk":306zl1kz said:
Uncle Si":306zl1kz said:

LOL thanks for the laugh on the oline, Pressured on over 40% of his attempts, 6 sacks in 2 games, ranked 23rd sorry they are still bad. Pocic is playing better though. So strange to see people ignore the obvious and think they are even an avg oline. I guess if you keep saying it, people will believe it, to dab there are facts and stats showing otherwise. Oh and also top 5 in most peanalized olines too.

To be fair we have a 36 year old, 33? year old manning the left and a rebuilt right side from center on. I’d take 10 TDsexchange for every 6 sacks + 1 TO.