Potential replacements for PC?

Hawkspeed

Reaction score
I am hoping we will keep Pete around up into his 90's. He has been working on a new "get off of my lawn" defense and a "high fiber" approach to blocking.

This year has surprised us all and it is a tribute to PC's coaching and philosophy of team-building and acceptance. There is no hurry to replace a coach who has been one of the best in Seahawks history.

Let's see what else happens...this has been a fun season! Next year could be something really special.

Fade

Reaction score
Dan Quinn.

He fixed a Dallas defense that was absolutely dreadful in ONE off-season with ONE draft class. No "They're young" excuse was being thrown around with them last year when he had immediate impact. And they are even better this year.

They aren't spending a lot of $$$ on defense either, and it isn't being used as an excuse either.

His past with the Seahawks and knowing how they operate on the football side of things doesn't require a massive overhaul and redux. He'd fit like a glove working very well w/JS. They would hit the ground running.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Dan Quinn would also be my first choice. He'd accept the head role in a heartbeat, John would get his turn as a head executive and rewarded for his patience, and it'd keep a solid link to the winning past of the team. What he's done in Dallas is very, very attractive.

Ultimately, I'd want the choice mainly left to JS. I suspect he'd also want DQ.

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
Yeah, Dan Quinn would be my 2nd choice behind Sean Payton but he'd be a good choice & would come without compensation. I'd even bring him in if Pete didn't retire as the assistant HC like a Tom Cable.

I disagree with the Waldron suggestion. I just look at Denver & Arizona & think he'd be overwhelmed. It might end up being a Lafleur or McVay deal but that would make me nervous if things didn't start off well.

nwHawk

Reaction score
Quinn is my choice.

I do not see JA going after an unknown coordinator as top dog.

Hawks biggest weakness is the front 7 and Quinn will improve the defensive line and pass rush. With young cornerbacks already in place, and some quality picks in ‘23 Quinn could have this team back to a top 5 defense fairly quickly.

ZornLargentPatera

Reaction score
Not that I am ready to nonchalantly throw Pete Carroll overboard anytime soon, per se. But.

Who is right now of Mike Holmgren's credibility and recognizability in 1999? QB guru extraordinaire and recent Super Bowl champion with the Packers.

Who is right now of Pete Carroll's credibility and recognizability in 2010? Defensive guru and won back-to-back national championships at USC, plus a number of other bowl games. Lots of NFL experience.

Who is out there like that right now? Someone who will make you say "wow I can't believe we were actually able to get him as our head coach! I didn't even know that was a possibility!" Big big big can't-miss high-profile names like that. That's who Paul Allen would hire.

W.W.P.A.D.? (What would Paul Allen do?)

RiverDog

Reaction score
Would anyone be interested in Lincoln Riley?
College coaches do not have a good track record of repeating their college success at the next level. Pete Carroll and Jim Hairball are the exceptions, not the rule. The latest example is Urban Meyer and Matt Rhule, but they were preceded by many, many others, including Chip Kelly, Steve Spurrier, Bobby Petrino, Nick Saban, Lou Holtz, Butch Davis, Dennis Erickson, and that's just off the top of my head without doing a Google.

Look for a good offensive/defensive coordinator or a former NFL HC. The odds of a college HC making it are about 1 in 5.

chrispy

Reaction score
Chris Peterson seems interesting. I think he has some of the "player's coach" traits similar to Pete.

Rat

Reaction score
Ugh, no Payton. Probably the most overrated coach of the past 20 years. His teams constantly choked in the playoffs. One year, he even lost in the wild card round to a team that finished the regular season 7-9. Pass.