Preseason announcers

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Ok, while I enjoy excitement from an announcer, Davis was BRUTAL. Two-yard run and he's freaking out like they just won a playoff game. Easy son.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Marv.......yeeeeaaaassss. Michael...........JORDANNNNNN
He was a great announcer for sure.
I know I'm a homer, but imo, we have been extremely lucky in Seattle. Calabro, Niehaus, Raible, Riz, Gross, Rondeau etc. All damn good announcers. And the Kraken have maybe the best in the NHL. And several people in the national media have said so.

rupert J

Reaction score
Ok, while I enjoy excitement from an announcer, Davis was BRUTAL. Two-yard run and he's freaking out like they just won a playoff game. Easy son.
hahaha, so true. That guy was off the rails. I used to try and find the radio broadcast for opposing teams to avoid that guy. This was in 56K dial up days

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
What a strange day. We are 12 days from the opener, and someone has an issue with Steve fricken Raible. Damn.......
The season can't get here soon enough :)

rupert J

Reaction score
And I certainly wasn’t making an argument, I was simply making as you say, a point.

“Touchdown Seahawks”, I’ll never grow tired of hearing it.
Ok?

In a discussion like this, if someone says “he is terrible” or “she is great” those are subjective statements based on personal opinions. They aren’t facts, and were not intended to be taken as such.
If you think this lady is better, worse, or the same as SR there’s absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Howard Cosell was irritating AF for me but he was iconic and folks grew accustomed to hearing him call certain sports.
SR is iconic in terms of Seahawk football.
I’ll suggest that this lady will never reach that (icon) status, I’d wager she won’t.

Again, not an argument.
Nothing more than an opinion.
This is exactly the thing with you guys. You hide behind "opinion" but present yourself as fact. You have the entitlement that your "facts" are true, and when questioned, you say "hey, it's just an opinion...chill out".
But you've had the opinion be fact for decades, and then you sh*t on someone like Liz

Howard Cosell is a lol, a hiding place for you. He's known as sucking and being annoying...wow, you sure you want to go out on that branch?
Do you ever look at yourself? Raible flat f**king sucks. "Holy Catfish"? If that was the Pats or Cowboys or Jags catchphrase how much fun would we make fun of it? It doesn't even make any sense.

I suggest you suck, you have a mod tag, so you can do what you want.
again, not an argument
Nothing more than an opinion

pmedic920

Reaction score
This is exactly the thing with you guys. You hide behind "opinion" but present yourself as fact. You have the entitlement that your "facts" are true, and when questioned, you say "hey, it's just an opinion...chill out".
But you've had the opinion be fact for decades, and then you sh*t on someone like Liz

Howard Cosell is a lol, a hiding place for you. He's known as sucking and being annoying...wow, you sure you want to go out on that branch?
Do you ever look at yourself? Raible flat f**king sucks. "Holy Catfish"? If that was the Pats or Cowboys or Jags catchphrase how much fun would we make fun of it? It doesn't even make any sense.

I suggest you suck, you have a mod tag, so you can do what you want.
again, not an argument
Nothing more than an opinion
Lol
Thanks for your contributions.

GGotskill

Reaction score
And I certainly wasn’t making an argument, I was simply making as you say, a point.

“Touchdown Seahawks”, I’ll never grow tired of hearing it.
Ok?

Ok? Who cares? Not what we were talking about.

In a discussion like this, if someone says “he is terrible” or “she is great” those are subjective statements based on personal opinions. They aren’t facts, and were not intended to be taken as such.

Again, no one here thinks otherwise, and in fact it's pretty arrogant that you think we don't get this.

If you think this lady is better, worse, or the same as SR there’s absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Never said anything to that effect.

Howard Cosell was irritating AF for me but he was iconic and folks grew accustomed to hearing him call certain sports.

Who cares?

SR is iconic in terms of Seahawk football.
I’ll suggest that this lady will never reach that (icon) status, I’d wager she won’t

Absolutely no one said she would.

Again, not an argument.
Nothing more than an opinion.

Yes, obviously.

Ozzy

Reaction score
He literally does, and he sucks.
"Shaun Alexander rumbled and bumbles and crushes a guy while running to the sideline, HOLY CATFISH! 3rd and 17
So you think Raible sucks? I'm no there to change your mind because there is way too much of that on here but I'm must surprised because I love him lol

pmedic920

Reaction score
Ok? Who cares? Not what we were talking about.

Again, no one here thinks otherwise, and in fact it's pretty arrogant that you think we don't get this.

Never said anything to that effect.

Who cares?

Absolutely no one said she would.

Yes, obviously.
It’s a conversation.
Conversations evolve, and generally speaking they do so in an organic/ natural manner.
I assumed you already understood this, my bad.

RiverDog

Reaction score
I haven't heard Raible for years, so I can't give an honest opinion of how he is nowadays. When he first took over for Pete Gross, of which IMO is one of the best radio play-by-play announcers I've ever heard, my first impression was that he was trying to imitate Gross's high-pitched voice and genuine excitement, but that it came out poorly, almost like he was feigning excitement. It didn't seem to me to be natural.

It might have been a little unfair to Raible to have followed a true legend like Gross, but in retrospect, he actually was very good, gave good descriptions of the action and drew a picture for the listener. I think he picked up a lot from having worked with Gross.

GGotskill

Reaction score
It’s a conversation.

And?

Conversations evolve, and generally speaking they do so in an organic/ natural manner.

True, but conversations don't normally include one person butting in to belittle people about opinions vs facts, or when it is something that isn't germane to the thread.

I assumed you already understood this, my bad.

The fact that you don't understand how unbecoming it is to butt into a conversation to tell people that opinions are just opinions, that's on you. Everything else you said was either irrelevant to the topic of the discussion or completely missed the the point. So you are right, it is your bad. Try harder next time :)

GGotskill

Reaction score
So you think Raible sucks? I'm no there to change your mind because there is way too much of that on here but I'm must surprised because I love him lol

Raible is fine, IMO. I think it is odd though people critiquing other announcers for being over the top, or trying to make a routine play seem exciting. That's been Raible's schtick for years, and it has only gotten worse as time has gone on.

As Seahawks fans it is easy to like Raible, for obvious reasons, I just think we are a bit biased.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
And honestly, why does it matter? He has his style, take it or leave it. I think he's damn good. All this just seems like more of the obsession to put people down and say "that announcer sucks"

Meh, some do, some don't.

KinesProf

Reaction score
All in all I thought it was a pretty good booth by preseason standards.

I thought Kate Scott was pretty good. And not in a liking a lady because she's a lady sort of way; as I do not enjoy Beth Mowins. But Scott was solid imo.

I really enjoyed Robinson and Bennett in the booth. I thought it was a great change of pace from the typically dry broadcasts that you get from a typical CBS/Fox booth during a random week of the regular season. Football by it's nature is a sport where the ball is actually live very infrequently relative to the length of the game, so there is a lot of time for filler, so I really enjoyed the entertainment factor of the Mikes compared to most colour analysts since Madden.

RiverDog

Reaction score
And honestly, why does it matter? He has his style, take it or leave it. I think he's (Raible) damn good. All this just seems like more of the obsession to put people down and say "that announcer sucks"

Meh, some do, some don't.
I think Raible is just OK, but I have to admit to a huge bias in that in my mind, no one will ever be able to top Pete Gross for his radio play-by-play, so Raible may, indeed, be one of the best.

Back in the 70's-early 80's, when watching Seahawk games, I used to turn down the TV volume then turn on the local radio broadcast so I could listen to Gross's play-by-play. It was always a little ahead of the TV signal, but not so much as to make it unwatchable. It's a great way for a novice to gain an understanding of what's going on as you could see what was happening as Gross was talking: "Seahawks on the short side of the field at their own 40, 3rd and 6, split backs behind Krieg under center, Largent starts in motion left to right through the formation...." The novice can see and hear what it means for a player to be "in motion."

I'd still be watching Seahawk games that way if not for the fact that the radio signal is now WAY ahead of even the over-the-air TV signal and up to 15-20 seconds ahead of cable/streaming, etc.

Latest posts