Preseason announcers

Maulbert

Reaction score
Raible is fine, IMO. I think it is odd though people critiquing other announcers for being over the top, or trying to make a routine play seem exciting. That's been Raible's schtick for years, and it has only gotten worse as time has gone on.

As Seahawks fans it is easy to like Raible, for obvious reasons, I just think we are a bit biased.
If you think Raible has bad bias, go listen to any Paul Allen Vikings clip on YouTube. That dude is straight garbage and they venerate his ass.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Raible is fine, IMO. I think it is odd though people critiquing other announcers for being over the top, or trying to make a routine play seem exciting. That's been Raible's schtick for years, and it has only gotten worse as time has gone on.

As Seahawks fans it is easy to like Raible, for obvious reasons, I just think we are a bit biased.

That's fair but Raible to me anyway, just seems genuine where other announcers at times seem like they're reading from the "announcer's playbook" It's a copied sound that a bunch of people do. Raible is over the top but it's different to me? I don't fault anyone for seeing it different. I wasn't a huge fan of the crew this preseason either but I think the former players are light years worse than she was. Those guys drove me nuts

Ozzy

Reaction score
All in all I thought it was a pretty good booth by preseason standards.

I thought Kate Scott was pretty good. And not in a liking a lady because she's a lady sort of way; as I do not enjoy Beth Mowins. But Scott was solid imo.

I really enjoyed Robinson and Bennett in the booth. I thought it was a great change of pace from the typically dry broadcasts that you get from a typical CBS/Fox booth during a random week of the regular season. Football by it's nature is a sport where the ball is actually live very infrequently relative to the length of the game, so there is a lot of time for filler, so I really enjoyed the entertainment factor of the Mikes compared to most colour analysts since Madden.
I agree with Scott but I couldn't stand Bennet and Robinson for some reason.

GGotskill

Reaction score
If you think Raible has bad bias, go listen to any Paul Allen Vikings clip on YouTube. That dude is straight garbage and they venerate his ass.

I suggest re-reading my comment. I did not say Raible has "bad bias" or any bias at all. I said we as Seahawks fans are biased towards Raible.

I am not a fan of Paul Allen, that said he is very well respected league wide not just by Vikings fans.

GGotskill

Reaction score
I'd still be watching Seahawk games that way if not for the fact that the radio signal is now WAY ahead of even the over-the-air TV signal and up to 15-20 seconds ahead of cable/streaming, etc.

Yeah, I grew up listening to the games on the radio, and still prefer that style of calling the games over whatever the TV announcers do nowadays.

If you can get audio equipment that can pause the radio feed (I do this via my PC) you can time it up with the game. Works quite nicely.

Maulbert

Reaction score
I suggest re-reading my comment. I did not say Raible has "bad bias" or any bias at all. I said we as Seahawks fans are biased towards Raible.

I am not a fan of Paul Allen, that said he is very well respected league wide not just by Vikings fans.
Nah. Dudes a gigantic homer. People humor him because he acts like his dog died every time the Vikings shit the bed.

GGotskill

Reaction score
Nah. Dudes a gigantic homer. People humor him because he acts like his dog died every time the Vikings shit the bed.

Don't disagree, but it just goes to show different people value different things in an announcer.

sutz

Reaction score
Radio guys are always more homers than TV guys. It's a different format and calls for slightly different skill sets.

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
So you have tape of Al Micheals at his first preseason gig back in 1940-whatever? Before he was a great? Or he was born a great?
Your avatar tells me all I need to know about you
This isn't her first gig. She's a seasoned announcer.

pmedic920

Reaction score
I agree with Scott but I couldn't stand Bennet and Robinson for some reason.
I’m with you kinda.

I actually enjoyed the banter between them BUT certainly wouldn’t want to listen to them/that for any game other than preseason.
Bennett has good humor IMO and it worked for a minute because the connection brought back some good memories.
Again not what I want during a real football game though.

Latest posts