Preseason announcers

GGotskill

Reaction score
You're overreacting to my comment. I NEVER said she should be catatonic or anything along those lines. But I'm just saying that she's trying too hard to make everything she says like it's the play of the game. The greats don't do that. Even the not-quite-greats don't do that. But hey, you dig her style. Good for you. I don't.

Yeah would never see Raible do that. /s

Holy Catfish!!!

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
That I actually agree with . The NFL should hire younger men who are in shape and can handle business if needed. Ex players who can run ,see and have endurance . My point about women is that I don't think a player would punch a woman on purpose but what about a couple of 300 LBers going at it and a 120-150 LB woman gets hurt trying to separate the two ?
I think the referees should have testing annually to make sure they can do the job and have a cut off for age.
Your comment made me think of hockey refs Which I have never seen 1 backdown to any altercation they appear to be as tough as any players

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
My favorite football announcer of all time is Ron Wolfley a former RB for the Arizona Cardinals he has a very distinct voice and attitude. When I was living in Arizona he would do tv and radio for the Cardinals

morgulon1

Reaction score
Your comment made me think of hockey refs Which I have never seen 1 backdown to any altercation they appear to be as tough as any players
Great points. They're also full time , have to be able to skate their asses off and hop right in the middle of the fisticuffs. Do any women apply for that ?

hgwellz12

Reaction score
In a lofty place tanglin' with Satan over history.
Hell no!! This is a diversity hire gone wrong. Very "Seattle" of them haha.

I have a question. What are those female referees going to do when there's a big fight ? Hochuli had trouble .

I think they should make an entire crew female , just to make it interesting. Let them officiate a playoff game .

The NFL is dying . Many on here will argue but I see it.
L O F L you can't be serious.

Crizilla

Reaction score
Marv Albert was my favorite NBA announcer.
"Fur three"
"Yes!"

NFL I'm gonna go Jim Nantz.
MLB I'll go young Joe Buck and Bob Costas and Thom Brennehan. Musburger was solid too. I think the Mariners actually had the best in Rick Rizz and Dave Neihouse though. Those guys could have easily announced games on the national stage.

pmedic920

Reaction score
Have you ever considered that each announcer given a chance is putting together a highlight reel for future jobs? If she was catatonic and treated the game like the glorified scrimmage it is, that would be your complaint.
I've been watching and listening to the Hawks since 1976. She good, at worst she's fine. Better than the national crap also mentioned up thread. Collingsworth, Michaels, Aikman, Buck...please. Self aggrandizing tools.
And Costas? LOL. someone mentioning Costas as anything other than a sanctimonious pink-eye shrew is a clown.

40% of this country was going to rip on Liz based on the fact that she exists and tried to do a job someone like her hasn't done before, regardless of her performance.
So spare the "I hesitate" victim language.
Much like your namesake, "jazz", it's the words you don't say that mean the most.

Tell me your optimal Seahawk preseason announcer who did a better job and I'll review that
You say this/talk like your opinion is the only one that matters / is correct.

Come on man, we all know how that over exaggerated “radio” voice, right?

Well for me, and apparently others she has that sound/cadence and it’s 100% annoying.
I don’t think that because she’s a she/female, I hate that sound even when it’s coming from a male.

There is this youtube guy, I thoroughly enjoy his content but can’t stand to listen to him/his voice.

Is what it is, personal preference.

This is the guy I’m talking about, her over exaggerated sound and cadence is very similar IMO, and I just can’t do it.

pmedic920

Reaction score
Yeah would never see Raible do that. /s

Holy Catfish!!!
You’re not comparing Raible to this lady, are you?

IMHO, there are certain iconic voices that go with certain sports/teams.

IMHO
Raible is Thee iconic Seahawk voice, and the lady in question will never ever approach the level he’s at, I won’t even entertain an argument otherwise.

GGotskill

Reaction score
You’re not comparing Raible to this lady, are you?

From an overall talent standpoint? No. Raible does have a tendency to go over the top, even on routine plays. Holy Catfish may just be one of the most overused phrases in Seattle sports.

IMHO, there are certain iconic voices that go with certain sports/teams.

IMHO
Raible is Thee iconic Seahawk voice, and the lady in question will never ever approach the level he’s at, I won’t even entertain an argument otherwise.

Ok? Good for you, don't think anyone was even arguing that point.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Raible is great, always has been. Seems like a lot of nitpicking about announcers. She did fine too, and good for her. It was a big opportunity.
I mean, you can always just turn it off if you don't like it. The game itself is what matters.

pmedic920

Reaction score
From an overall talent standpoint? No. Raible does have a tendency to go over the top, even on routine plays. Holy Catfish may just be one of the most overused phrases in Seattle sports.

Ok? Good for you, don't think anyone was even arguing that point.
And I certainly wasn’t making an argument, I was simply making as you say, a point.

“Touchdown Seahawks”, I’ll never grow tired of hearing it.
Ok?

In a discussion like this, if someone says “he is terrible” or “she is great” those are subjective statements based on personal opinions. They aren’t facts, and were not intended to be taken as such.
If you think this lady is better, worse, or the same as SR there’s absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Howard Cosell was irritating AF for me but he was iconic and folks grew accustomed to hearing him call certain sports.
SR is iconic in terms of Seahawk football.
I’ll suggest that this lady will never reach that (icon) status, I’d wager she won’t.

Again, not an argument.
Nothing more than an opinion.

Last edited:

rupert J

Reaction score
Do NOT call other posters names or you will be short lived here.
You're overreacting to my comment. I NEVER said she should be catatonic or anything along those lines. But I'm just saying that she's trying too hard to make everything she says like it's the play of the game. The greats don't do that. Even the not-quite-greats don't do that. But hey, you dig her style. Good for you. I don't.
So you have tape of Al Micheals at his first preseason gig back in 1940-whatever? Before he was a great? Or he was born a great?
Your avatar tells me all I need to know about you

Last edited by a moderator:

Ozzy

Reaction score
Raible is and will always be great. Sure he can be over the top at times but whatever, his energy is so genuine. For years I've wanted to figure out how to sync the radio up to the TV and listen to him instead of the TV crew. I might actually be able to this year with Youtube TV

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Yeah, an announcer who gets overly excited. I mean, that never happens. A passion for the game and for his/her team, that's a good thing.
Better than some boring bland announcer. Get fired up, it's a game, it's supposed to be exciting.
I mean he or she has a dream job. Meanwhile, the rest of us are listening to them. I'm sure it's not nearly as easy as some think to be a good announcer.

rupert J

Reaction score
Other than Jazz, anyone here remember Brian Davis? Or Brian something. He was the radio guy back when we couldn't get games broadcast because there were no sellout games...early oughts. He was the worst.

Latest posts