"Pretty good quarterback, I guess"

shawnsim

Reaction score
CPHawk":13fb5qdx said:
slipwax":13fb5qdx said:
FWIW, Tate had nothing but praise for the organization, the 12th man, and the city of Seattle

And you forgot how much praise he had for Wilsons ex, and how good she was.

A literal Lol is in order.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
I suggest that some people stop comparing QBs that are in totally different systems.

shawnsim

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":2lrbgtrx said:
I suggest that some people stop comparing QBs that are in totally different systems.

Actually we were conversing about a Wr that was in a system that wasn't his.

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
900x900px-LL-61cda129_ym1sWx1.png

SeaToTheHawks":3ctt2xia said:
Can't believe how many Tate apologists there are here. Look, he had a nice season for us. Helped us win it all. We can't forget that, but at the end of the day he didn't want to be here and left, and potentially did something unforgivable to our QB whom is as classy and hardworking as they come, and whom was also one of Tates good friends. Good riddance to Tate in my opinion, consider me team Wilson.

:roll:

Captain

Reaction score
What people fail to understand is that it wasnt Tate vs Harvin. It was Tate vs. Baldwin. They couldnt afford to keep both of them and the FO chose to sign Baldwin long term over Tate. Obviously they could have just cut/traded Harvin in the off season and signed Tate as well but they still had high hopes for Harvin at the time.

Who would you rather have Tate or Baldwin?

LymonHawk

Reaction score
I take a different angle: If Tate didn't have his thumb up his butt for the first two years here; he'd still be here and there never would have been a need to trade for Harvin. :les:

Two Cents.

peppersjap

Reaction score
Golden Tate was (again was) my favorite Seahawk ever! The guy had incredible talent and I had no doubt he would do exactly what he has done in Detroit. Wilson and him were inseparable until right before the Super Bowl. I didn't want to believe the stories when he left but when I saw Baldwin signed to basically the same contract Tate signed it showed me everything I needed to see. I love Baldwin but he is not quite the WR Tate is, he does come close though because he puts out more effort.
The fact that Tate would call Wilson a decent QB (he guesses) and think he won't get ridicule blows me away. It looks like a guy who is completely butt hurt. The way our offense is playing I can not imagine any other QB in the league who could make this offense work the way Wilson does (Rodgers might be able to). I'm not saying he is better than Peyton or Brees or Brady but no way they survive under the pressure Wilson faces. Tate needs to enjoy his success and shut the hell up about our team to show he has actually moved on.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
My take, if a player has "personality". You're going to love him when he plays for your team, then hate him if/when he doesn't.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I think he's a baller, and I dig his swagger. His troll game has always been on point, too.

I'm a fan. *shrug*

scutterhawk

Reaction score
slipwax":vccp3lkp said:
Yoonhawk":vccp3lkp said:
He was asked about this years Hawks. Tate praised the D, said Balding and Kearse are doing well under the circumstances, and that Wilson is "a pretty good quarterback, I guess."

The whole interview will air at 9:15 tonight

So, if you weren't such an asshole Tate, how would you HONESTLY stack up the Seahawks Offense............For Real?
You do realize that the Seahawks sent your "Who Cares" ass packing.
Baldwin has replaced your young ass.
Truth must hurt like a MoFo, eh False Golden?

scutterhawk

Reaction score
DavidSeven":2lco6i7s said:
I think he's a baller, and I dig his swagger. His troll game has always been on point, too.

I'm a fan. *shrug*

Tate is an asshole, and he is always going to downplay a team that he isn't a part of, PERIOD!!!!
if SIR GOLDEN TATE of the Detroit Lions was all that?, they'd be contending. :twisted:

Bigbadhawk

Reaction score
scutterhawk":2zg8gctq said:
slipwax":2zg8gctq said:
Yoonhawk":2zg8gctq said:
He was asked about this years Hawks. Tate praised the D, said Balding and Kearse are doing well under the circumstances, and that Wilson is "a pretty good quarterback, I guess."

The whole interview will air at 9:15 tonight

So, if you weren't such an asshole Tate, how would you HONESTLY stack up the Seahawks Offense............For Real?
You do realize that the Seahawks sent your "Who Cares" ass packing.
Baldwin has replaced your young ass.
Truth must hurt like a MoFo, eh False Golden?

Yes Baldwin replaced Tate but that doesn't mean he is more productive then Tate at the job. Lemuel Jeanpierre has replaced Max Unger at Center while Unger is injured but that doesn't make Jeanpeirre better in talent. We wont even bring up what Tate brings as a punter returner compared to Baldin.

Dont get me wrong, I am a big fan of Baldwin but to dismiss Tate and what he brought to the team in the way you are is a joke.

Tokadub

Reaction score
So many pathetic haters in our fan-base. Wow we lose one of our best players and everyone just starts talking trash on him, what a bunch of classless scum you all are.

If the rumors about Tate and Wilson's wife are true then OK you can hate on him... but we'll never know that and honestly if it is true then we can safely assume that 99% of the blame can be placed squarely on Wilson's wife (being a huge wh@$e) that would enable that to ever happen. So either way it's stupid to get mad at Tate when we'll never know what really happened and if it is true... the wife is to blame duh...

I think that Tate was pretty disrespectful to just say Wilson is "pretty good... I guess"... but then again Tate is the most qualified player IN THE ENTIRE LEAGUE to critically judge Wilson from a Wide Receivers perspective. Tate is on pace for 1400 yards... that's nearly twice the pace of our #1 receiver Baldwin who is on pace for 765 yards.

Our top 2 receivers Baldwin and Kearse are on pace for 1370 yards COMBINED... which is less than Tate's pace 1400... My point being that Tate has now played with a QB (or offensive coordinator) who knows how to throw him the ball and he's putting up INSANE numbers.

Tate currently has more receiving yards than:

- Calvin Johnson
- Dez Bryant
- Rob Gronkowski
- Randall Cobb
- Julian Edelman
- Odell Beckham Jr.
- DeSean Jackson
- Anquan Boldin
- Steve Smith Sr.
- Sammy Watkins
- Martellus Bennett
- Jimmy Graham

... you get the picture? Tate has more receiving yards than pretty much anyone in the NFL (he's ranked 7th in the league) with a catch rate of 71.7% (better than any Seahawks WR that's still on our team until you get to Norwood who is 87.5% but we never use him...)

We can give a fair estimation that each team has at least 3 "starting wide receivers" That's a total of 96 Wide Receivers in that mix. Tate is ranked 7th out of 96... in other words when divided equally Tate is the best out of 14 "starting wide receivers" in the NFL (96/7 = 13.71).

In comparison each team has 1 "starting QB" for Wilson to be as good at his position as Tate currently is he'd have to be the best out of 14 "starting QB's"... meaning Wilson would need to be ranked the #2 QB in the entire NFL (32/14 = 2.29).

Conclusion:

Statistically Wilson would have to be the #2 rated Quarterback in the entire league for him to be a better player than Tate relative to their position group.

So right now Tate can in fact call Wilson "pretty good... I guess" because he is in fact better at his position this year and his production has sky rocketed with another QB...

Even though I consider Wilson a far superior QB to Stafford it's hard to argue that Tate is destroying with Stafford throwing him the ball compared to when Wilson was throwing it... which is hard to explain and I blame it mainly on our Offensive Coordinator.

Also for all the noobs out there who don't know anything about football... Stafford is currently ranked 8th in passing attempts per game (not #1 in passing attempts like 2012, and 2011). So he's no longer throwing it 40+ times a game he's currently at 37.

And for all the noobs saying Tate is only good because he's opposite of Calvin Johnson... you might wanna do your homework for once. Tate has around 150 yards in every single game that Calvin Johnson DID NOT PLAY THIS YEAR except for one... So Tate is doing WAY BETTER when he's the #1 receiver in place of Calvin Johnson...

PS: Our punt return game is a total joke without Tate. Bryan Walters is embarrassing me every time he's on the field.

Reaction score
scutterhawk":21ei3m33 said:
DavidSeven":21ei3m33 said:

I'm a fan. *shrug*

Tate is an asshole, and he is always going to downplay a team that he isn't a part of, PERIOD!!!!
if SIR GOLDEN TATE of the Detroit Lions was all that?, they'd be contending. :twisted:

People should listen to the interview instead of just acting like they did. Golden has admitted to all of the immaturity issues he had while arriving and credits Pete and John for sticking with him for as long as they did. Once he developed he caught freaking everything thrown his way. It sucks that something came between him and Russell. Russell has gone on record and thrown a shot at Tate(we'll be just fine without him) as well so it's not just a one way street.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
Tokadub":2b9ylpgl said:
So many pathetic haters in our fan-base. Wow we lose one of our best players and everyone just starts talking trash on him, what a bunch of classless scum you all are.

If the rumors about Tate and Wilson's wife are true then OK you can hate on him... but we'll never know that and honestly if it is true then we can safely assume that 99% of the blame can be placed squarely on Wilson's wife (being a huge wh@$e) that would enable that to ever happen. So either way it's stupid to get mad at Tate when we'll never know what really happened and if it is true... the wife is to blame duh...

I think that Tate was pretty disrespectful to just say Wilson is "pretty good... I guess"... but then again Tate is the most qualified player IN THE ENTIRE LEAGUE to critically judge Wilson from a Wide Receivers perspective. Tate is on pace for 1400 yards... that's nearly twice the pace of our #1 receiver Baldwin who is on pace for 765 yards.

Our top 2 receivers Baldwin and Kearse are on pace for 1370 yards COMBINED... which is less than Tate's pace 1400... My point being that Tate has now played with a QB (or offensive coordinator) who knows how to throw him the ball and he's putting up INSANE numbers.

Tate currently has more receiving yards than:

- Calvin Johnson
- Dez Bryant
- Rob Gronkowski
- Randall Cobb
- Julian Edelman
- Odell Beckham Jr.
- DeSean Jackson
- Anquan Boldin
- Steve Smith Sr.
- Sammy Watkins
- Martellus Bennett
- Jimmy Graham

... you get the picture? Tate has more receiving yards than pretty much anyone in the NFL (he's ranked 7th in the league) with a catch rate of 71.7% (better than any Seahawks WR that's still on our team until you get to Norwood who is 87.5% but we never use him...)

We can give a fair estimation that each team has at least 3 "starting wide receivers" That's a total of 96 Wide Receivers in that mix. Tate is ranked 7th out of 96... in other words when divided equally Tate is the best out of 14 "starting wide receivers" in the NFL (96/7 = 13.71).

In comparison each team has 1 "starting QB" for Wilson to be as good at his position as Tate currently is he'd have to be the best out of 14 "starting QB's"... meaning Wilson would need to be ranked the #2 QB in the entire NFL (32/14 = 2.29).

Conclusion:

Statistically Wilson would have to be the #2 rated Quarterback in the entire league for him to be a better player than Tate relative to their position group.

So right now Tate can in fact call Wilson "pretty good... I guess" because he is in fact better at his position this year and his production has sky rocketed with another QB...

Even though I consider Wilson a far superior QB to Stafford it's hard to argue that Tate is destroying with Stafford throwing him the ball compared to when Wilson was throwing it... which is hard to explain and I blame it mainly on our Offensive Coordinator.

Also for all the noobs out there who don't know anything about football... Stafford is currently ranked 8th in passing attempts per game (not #1 in passing attempts like 2012, and 2011). So he's no longer throwing it 40+ times a game he's currently at 37.

And for all the noobs saying Tate is only good because he's opposite of Calvin Johnson... you might wanna do your homework for once. Tate has around 150 yards in every single game that Calvin Johnson DID NOT PLAY THIS YEAR except for one... So Tate is doing WAY BETTER when he's the #1 receiver in place of Calvin Johnson...

PS: Our punt return game is a total joke without Tate. Bryan Walters is embarrassing me every time he's on the field.

Only you could analyse a four word comment in 700 words, include insults like 'pathetic haters', 'classless scum', then put 99% of the blame on Ashton should the rumours be true, before coming to a statistical conclusion to an irrelevant, emotional response.

Go to bed Tokadub.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
Tate didn't want to leave Seattle. He loved it here but the Hawks low balled him.

He was hurt by the reality that is pro sports.

I loved the dude on our team and the fact that he loved Seattle.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
DavidSeven":12fim92g said:

I'm a fan. *shrug*

Pretty close to my thoughts too. However, if we win the Owl again this year, someone sure as hell better tweet that Kermit sipping tea photo at him. I'd settle for a fan, but I wouldn't mind if it was Russ.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
John and Pete recognize football talent and they drafted Tate, unfortunately Tate was a slow bloomer and took several years to finally understand what he needed to do to play WR up to his physical abilities as a pro. He got it though albeit after a long learning period and was very solid in the year and a half before heis rookie deal expired. I was surprised he was not re-upped and didn't really understand the lowball offer the team made to him, the cap crunch arguments seemed to missing something.The Baldwin or Tate questions were being asked before last offseason as were the Percy or Tate questions and Tate was frequently losing in the arguments. I felt perhaps the FO saw Tate as not being different enough from Percy or better than Baldwin or Percy yet Tate was coming on in terms of skill and becoming an elite WR so that didn't really make sense long term. Perhaps there was something else? The rumours about Tate and Ashton were beginning around then too.

The team has been very consistent in rewarding their own when they play well and are team guys. I thought Tate was a team guy and was playing well by the end of his rookie deal, so what happened? Something happened for the Hawks to not keep a player they'd thought enough of to draft in the 2nd Rd and who was a good solid improving WR who was very good RAC and was an elite punt returner.

So what happened, why did the team lowball Tate? Was it to keep Percy happy, or was it something else? It is clear that Tate's punt returning contributions have not been replaced, but then to lose both starting returners creates a hole that still is missing on ST. Did the team believe that Percy would replace what Tate brought to the table and thus Tate was replaceable or was it something else? I don't know for sure but there was a reason why Percy put the slug on Tate and the admission there was something between Tate and Russell leads me to wonder if the rumours about Tate and Ashton were true. If so there is an explanation for the whole series of events.

I think Tate wanted to remain a Hawk and he's still miffed that the organization lowballed him. There is something missing in an analysis of this question. Ockham's razor would lead me to believe the rumours of Tate and Ashton were true and therein is the reason Tate was lowballed by the team, Percy was upset and popped Tate in the eye as a result of the likely knowledge the Tate-Ashton was likely the reality. There are other explanations yet the razor is usually right.

I liked Tate and thought he was worth keeping, his ST contribution are yet to be replaced but I suspect there is more to this story than we know for sure. I wish him luck in Detroit I hope he brings the team a nice comp, pick, he's a Lion now. Time to move on.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
Tate's a great player and came up big for this team at times when they needed him to.

His comment, however, is simply a symptom of him likely being a giant douche as a person. He's one of those players you that you like if he's on your team and producing (because, "swagger") but if he's on another team you just see him as a bit of a dick.