Prisco: Manning will be "licking his chops" to face Cover 3

MookieB88

Reaction score
My concern mainly is around control of possession, we haven't been great in that area and if we can't keep Manning off the field, then regardless of scheme etc. we will have issues, he's too good not to find a way to complete plenty of passes, regardless of how good our secondary is.

We win if we can control the clock and keep the offense on the field as much as possible.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
MookieB88":3h0dj3z6 said:
My concern mainly is around control of possession, we haven't been great in that area and if we can't keep Manning off the field, then regardless of scheme etc. we will have issues, he's too good not to find a way to complete plenty of passes, regardless of how good our secondary is.

We win if we can control the clock and keep the offense on the field as much as possible.
Converting third downs will fix this issue. I know Pete quotes TOP, but it's merely a byproduct of efficiency.

lukerguy

Reaction score
Scottemojo":19jryh7m said:
A some have said, chalking up anything to scheme issues is beside the point.

Seattle's use of press cover 3 is pretty unusual when compared to the rest of the league, but we can go to cover 1 with the same look. There are plenty changeups we can do, like drop a lineman into middle coverage like we did vs the Saints. And change it up a bit from time to time, the Chancellor pick of Kaepernick was a changeup on standard cover 3. That hole in the cover 3 zone over on the left side was the Niners bail out and go to play, at least twice we schemed to put a second player under that hole and force a difficult throw over that guy. In the preseason, Manning went after that hole to attack Browner in his cover 3 bail, and no doubt there will be some timing patterns to do the same this time. With Mannings limited arm, I doubt we see that throw from the right hash, and I expect we will be plenty aware of putting a guy under that route when the Broncos are on the left hash.

That's exactly right. It's a press cover 3, not a soft cover 3 That Prisco mentioned, and isn't all that dissimilar to a press man cover 1. The Broncos haven't played a top 10 D all year if memory serves, they certainly haven't played an elite D. To say that Peyton Manning is licking his chop would be dumb. If he actually is expecting it to be an easy day, then that is favorable to the Seahawks. No one else in the league can get constant pressure sending 4, so they have to send exotic blitzes. Peyton always finds out who is blitzing because he gets to the line early and has 2 or 3 fake hikes. Someone always shows. Since we normally only rush 4, he won't be getting a lot of pre-snap information.

OP
OP
Our Man in Chicago

Our Man in Chicago

Reaction score
45Hawker":2ojrtw3l said:
Against the Saints, later in the game, Brees found an open spot with WR's running a shallow (7-8 yards) crossing route to the opposite sideline. Our LB couldn't keep up with the WR on that long of a route. It took an incredible pass, and pass protection, but he hit it at least 2 times. I was getting worried that he found a weakness, but it was too little/too late. Kaepernick can't make that pass, but Manning certainly can.

This is why Wes Welker could be a major option for the Broncos if he escapes the press underneath and/or runs a rub; he'll have to be respected either way.

lofafan4life

Reaction score
Anything that could ever happen, happens in a parallel universe. (Many Worlds Interpretation) In some parallel universes,the 49ers beat the Seahawks last Sunday in the NFC Championship game and then went on to win Super Bowl 48. I honestly believe this (in some of those parallel universes where the 49ers beat the Seahawks in NFC Championship game last week,the 49ers beat the Seahawks 62-7)

In some parallel universes,the 49ers won the NFC west every year since the 2002 season. In fact in some parallel universes,the Seahawks have never won more than 3 games in a season since 2001. In some of those universes,the 49ers won Super Bowl 39 and Super Bowl 47 (7 super bowl trophies)

However, there are many parallel universes where the Seahawks won 6 Super Bowl as of January 2014: Super Bowl 17, Super Bowl 22,Super Bowl 28, Super Bowl 34, Super Bowl XL, Super Bowl 45. Heck there are universes where the Seahawks won every Super Bowl since 1976 season. In some of those universes,the Seahawks won the NFC west every year since 2002 and won the afc west 10 times

I am serious on my mothers life

proof

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Many-worlds_interpretation
http://listverse.com/2013/02/22/10-mind ... ds-theory/
http://www.reuters.com/article/2010/10/ ... 5X20101020

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Our Man in Chicago":iuliu5ln said:
45Hawker":iuliu5ln said:
Against the Saints, later in the game, Brees found an open spot with WR's running a shallow (7-8 yards) crossing route to the opposite sideline. Our LB couldn't keep up with the WR on that long of a route. It took an incredible pass, and pass protection, but he hit it at least 2 times. I was getting worried that he found a weakness, but it was too little/too late. Kaepernick can't make that pass, but Manning certainly can.

This is why Wes Welker could be a major option for the Broncos if he escapes the press underneath and/or runs a rub; he'll have to be respected either way.
If you are talking about the playoff game, Seattle went into full on trading points for time mode.

davidonmi

Reaction score
What I take from this is Prisco has seen him play a bunch of bad defenses and shows trends of the certain things that slow him.
Peyton has not faced anything close to this defense post injury, except for possibly Houston last year who held him to 25, because the way you slow him down is playing great fefense

andyh64000

Reaction score
lofafan4life":q9475wkr said:
Anything that could ever happen, happens in a parallel universe. (Many Worlds Interpretation) In some parallel universes,the 49ers beat the Seahawks last Sunday in the NFC Championship game and then went on to win Super Bowl 48. I honestly believe this (in some of those parallel universes where the 49ers beat the Seahawks in NFC Championship game last week,the 49ers beat the Seahawks 62-7)

In some parallel universes,the 49ers won the NFC west every year since the 2002 season. In fact in some parallel universes,the Seahawks have never won more than 3 games in a season since 2001. In some of those universes,the 49ers won Super Bowl 39 and Super Bowl 47 (7 super bowl trophies)

However, there are many parallel universes where the Seahawks won 6 Super Bowl as of January 2014: Super Bowl 17, Super Bowl 22,Super Bowl 28, Super Bowl 34, Super Bowl XL, Super Bowl 45. Heck there are universes where the Seahawks won every Super Bowl since 1976 season. In some of those universes,the Seahawks won the NFC west every year since 2002 and won the afc west 10 times

I am serious on my mothers life

proof

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Many-worlds_interpretation
http://listverse.com/2013/02/22/10-mind ... ds-theory/
http://www.reuters.com/article/2010/10/ ... 5X20101020

526865_733394800013023_1976760892_n.jpg

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
Drew Brees had two chances against it. Is he not smart enough to pick apart our apparently madden level defense? Kaep had 3 chances. Palmer had two shots and threw how many picks?

What a lame thing to say from Prisco. You don't win games by tricking your opponent, you win with execution. Every QB in the league, and every talking head for that matter, can beat any defense on paper. Show me a D, and I'll draw some lines on it to score a TD.

lobohawk

Reaction score
The Chargers have historically given Manning fits, regardless of where he played. They didn't do it with odd schemes and such. Rather they knew his tendencies very well and could move him off his spot.

This year, they added the wrinkle of a ball control offense to keep him off the field (short/intermediate passing and persistent run game).

HawkGA

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2b9ibtw6 said:
Matt Hasselbeck broke down the cover 3 very well this morning. He said cover three's most susceptible areas are exactly the areas that teams we play try to attack.........which is sideline stuff over the shorter DB or safety (Trufant last year in Atlanta and Kaepernick trying to throw over Thurmond and Kam last week)..........and about 15-20 yards down the seam.

The problem for Manning is these routes take more than his 2-3 second release routes that he likes to run. So if he wants to try to expose that, he's going to have to hold the ball for 3.5-4 seconds, which should allow us to destroy the pocket. Add in a little wind and bad weather and those routes may be VERY hard to complete with any sort of efficiency.

First thing that popped into my head reading your post was how Manning doesn't always throw a tight spiral anymore (Sherm mentioned this and heard on the radio how it has to do with his neck injury and numbness in a couple of fingers). He's moved to a glove which could cause further problems. I think this game could turn into a pick-fest for the Seahawks if he tries to lob passes in to people.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
A player plays against other players. That's why it's about matchups; not coverages

We play mostly man with help under and over. We will be fine if each player controls their man.

Omaha

Reaction score
Quick digression: Colts chances of winning that super bowl dropped significantly once Freeney got injured against the Jets. They couldnt pressurize Brees consistently enough particularly in the second half. The stupid play calling by Caldwell ended their chances. Example being the 3 run plays at the end of the 2nd quarter which gave the saints the ball back and allowed them to score another field goal. Colts had the momentum up to that point and were stupid not to keep the pressure on the saints who were playing like deers in headlight. The onside kick recovery simply gave the momentum and game to the saints. Manning had 333 yds on 31/45 (69% completion). Brees on the other hand had 32/39 (82%) completion for 281 yds. When an opponent QB has 82% completion, that is squarely on the defense imo.

On Manning v Cover 3: I dont think discovering how best to attack a cover 3 defensive scheme (or any defensive scheme for that matter) is rocket science, but rather a question of having the personnel and execution to do so successfully. In my limited understanding, seattle's base defensive scheme is cover-3 press man with a 4-3 under front, and it is primarily aimed at stopping the run (with a 7 or 8 man box) and preventing big plays over the top (by having 3 deep in zone coverage). There are several known ways to attack this and you dont have to be manning to know these. Success will depend on individual match-ups and execution. Broncos have the personnel to do it, but we will have to wait till game day to see who executes better.

rideaducati

Reaction score
45Hawker":10qavmu4 said:

The Seahawks were also playing differently on defense later in the game. They were letting the saints move the ball while burning valuable time too. It was a lot more off coverage. The Seahawks do this a lot when they're up late in games.

Giblien

Reaction score
jblaze":2d8hkks7 said:
I think Earl Thomas is licking his chops at Manning's perception that he can exploit the Cover 3 more than anything. ET's been largely quiet as of late because no one is testing him. I see ET having a big game Sunday.

I don't buy into the concept that you have to be exotic with coverages with Manning to be effective. Manning has seen and beat everything, you're not going to fool him. What you can do is outplay him or his receivers though. Line up and dominate your one on one matchups, that's our strength and that will determine the outcome of this game.

:13:

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
We have to do three things.

1. Establish Marshawn Lynch
2. Sure and solid tackling
3. Pressure up the middle so that Peyton can't step up in the pocket