Props to Cam Newton

kobebryant

Reaction score
Ramfan128":36drgv3c said:
His celebrating is less obnoxious to me than Golden Tate's are.

At least Cam is a great player.

I dislike him more for his Auburn days and the general distaste I have for the SEC....but there should be absolutely no issue with his celebrating. He's bringing fun back to the NFL.

haha, Golden's celebrating almost gets him pushed out short of a TD.

Though to be fair, a lot of WRs seem to like to stick it to Janoris Jenkins while lighting him up. He seems to bring out that quality.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
kobebryant":1fwn7ppf said:
JSeahawks":1fwn7ppf said:
It's not a black/white thing, it's a quarterback thing. Fair or not, qbs are usually the face of the franchise and should be held to a higher standing, IMO.

I understand what you are saying, but I don't know man.

What Cam does is fun-loving, not directed at an opponent, and often involves teammates and kids; while also being good in the community and a solid citizen. Yet he gets more heat for his game day persona than Manning, Brady, Rodgers and Rivers ever do - and they're considerably more demonstrative, mean spirited, and whiny. Not that I take issue with any of their antics (as this is competitive sports at its highest level), but there is a certain hypocrisy at play when dancing is received more negatively than the cussing out of an official/opponent - and as a person of color we can't help but have race in the back of our mind when facing that sort of hypocrisy, even while understanding that the vast majority of people are in no way racist.

So when he dabs at an opponent who is obviously already worked up and being restrained or imitates an opposing players celebration as part of his own, or rips signs and jerseys out of opposing fans hands (note I think the reaction some Seahawks fans had to the 12 flag was absolutely ridiculous) that is all fun-loving and not directed at opponents? Okay got it.

Is he doing anything morally wrong or illegal? No. Should he be called at thug? No. Does he come across as a douche? For me the answer to that question is absolutely.

lobohawk

Reaction score
Overall I don't have a negative opinion of Cam. Seems like an ok dude and appears to work hard. A great player whose able to leverage his physical gifts (size) in a way that hasn't been done.

It only grates me a little that often when he celebrates it appears to be all about himself. A kind of "look at me" vs just celebrating the moment. And that everything he does falls into this category. First down...time to celebrate.

The racial comment he made is a little off target considering all the other African-American QBs who've preceded him. Seem to remember a unique African-American QB winning the SB a couple years ago and his response to critics had nothing to do with race. People have seen AA QBs play at the highest level, so he's not the first. Also it's a way to pigeonhole critics, when they aren't even commenting on his race.

Honestly, Cam has led a charmed life. Any hurdles he's had, were seemingly self-induced. Even youthful mistakes were easily overlooked in order for people to gain access to his talent. Picked number 1 and handed the keys to the team. Another reason I prefer Russell, who had to fight for everything he's had.

mrt144

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1dx04f8v said:
JSeahawks":1dx04f8v said:
It's not a black/white thing, it's a quarterback thing. Fair or not, qbs are usually the face of the franchise and should be held to a higher standing, IMO.

When Sherman was called, politely, a "thug" for his Erin Andrews interview it had nothing to do with his position on the field.

It appears as though the Panthers franchise, the coach, the fans and the teammates are quite comfortable with Cam as well. So whatever standard they are looking for he seems to fit it without much concern.

People using thug as a dogwhistle while insisting it isnt a dogwhistle is especially apparent in Sherman's case.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
lobo and bitters replies are very strong additions to the thread.

mrt144... dogwhistle is a great way of putting it.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":2vrnkho5 said:
He lacks character. Bad person.
Lol you have GOT to be kidding me! This guy goes out of his way to make kids smile, and I'm not just talking about giving footballs to them. Every time he gets mobbed for autographs he patiently sits through it, shakes every kids hand and tries to leave them with motivation to succeed.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14426 ... buying-nfl

"
Cam has -- and I don't know if the world knows this -- a genuine heart for kids," Salvati said. "It's not just about the press or what he's supposed to do. It's about the way he wants to support kids and the way he wants them to be supported. Many of our kids really feel apart from the world; this is the way our kids can feel part of the world beyond their street."

"Newton has been volunteering at elementary schools since his college days, once he realized the power conferred by his status and the importance of second chances, said his agent Carlos Fleming, a senior vice president in Sports Talent Marketing at WME-IMG. His parents taught Newton that, and actually accompanied him last week on the day he went to four schools while wearing his red Christmas sweater with the image of a dabbing Santa."

Cam Newton Foundation (kids charity)
https://www.cam1newton.com/

It is LAUGHABLE to call him a bad person. He is an annoying competitor, but that doesn't make him a bad person. Is Richard Sherman a bad person because he ALSO talks crap? Is Lynch a bad person because he grabs his jock when he dives into the end zone?

Please man...

joeseahawks

Reaction score
The double standard applied to Cam is simply ridiculous. Because a guy is #1 pick doesn't mean he has had a charmed life. This statement is so stupid, I don't even know where to start. Dare to know how many #1 picks have been in the league longer than Cam and have maybe one playoff win at best?
Some people have a hard time believing that Cam Newton is what he is today, because of HARD WORK. Tim Couch? Alex Smith?Sam Bradford? Matthew Stafford?
Because a guy smiles all the time doesn't mean he does not work as hard as those who always look "serious".
Youthful mistakes? Seriously? I'm not sure how old you are, but I can tell you more than 90% of the league has made more "youthful mistakes" than Cam Newton. But people want PERFECTION from Cam, while everyone else is allowed to have a moment of insanity.
It is time for America to start accepting the fact that, there is not ONE leadership style. At the end of the day, this sport is about wins. Cam is leading his team and his team is winning. Cam is doing it his way. His team is following him. Why can't we just respect that? Why can't just accept that? Why do we have to nitpick and even make up stuff, just because we must find something to blame on Cam?

Honestly, Cam has led a charmed life. Any hurdles he's had, were seemingly self-induced. Even youthful mistakes were easily overlooked in order for people to gain access to his talent. Picked number 1 and handed the keys to the team. Another reason I prefer Russell, who had to fight for everything he's had

joeseahawks

Reaction score
Is there a rule that says that a Quarterback has to behave a certain way?
If so, please can you show me who wrote that book and where I can buy a copy of it? Cam Newton's gf just gave birth to a child a few weeks ago. Some fans in Charlotte wrote a letter to the Charlotte Observer criticizing Cam that, a QB shouldn't have children out of wedlock. I wonder if anyone wrote a letter to Tom Brady, when his gf got a baby out of wedlock.
Of course there is a race element to it. People who want to deny it needs to seriously look at the history of the QB Position in the NFL. For many years, the excuse was that Blacks aren't smart enough to play QB. I remember Colin Cowherd coining the word "Cerebral". Colin used to say that Cam wasn't cerebral enough to "read defenses".
Now, the new excuse is ... "QBs are the face of the Franchise and are held to higher standards". Colin has now coined a new word: "Quarterbackial" just like "Presidential". Yes, Colin compared Cam Newton to Donald Trump.
Which standards did Cam break? QB's do not dance? You believe if Manning knew how to dance, he wouldn't dance?
Cam Newton works hard. He wins games. He leads and his team follows. And yes, he dabs ... but so what? He is now the first dabbing QB in the NFL. He is a pioneer and the future generations will follow.
JSeahawks":14sldtdw said:

penihawk

Reaction score
First of all, Cam is a great player. Second of all, people being turned off by him has nothing to do with being black. :34853_doh: Lastly, I find it kind of ironic his fans are defending him for having too much fun on the field and every year prior to this one they were defending him for being a baby with a towel on his head when they were losing. Maybe its a case of us fans making too much out of grown men playing a kids game? :?:

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
To the people claiming Newton's celebration is "all about me", what about Aaron Rodgers stupid championship belt celebration? Oh, wait, that doesn't count because Aaron Rodger is... White? Lol no, that can't be it.

253hawk

Reaction score
The Discount Double Check takes what, 2 seconds to do? And it's not like he does it after every single first down and touchdown for 20 weeks straight. It's not a full-blown dance routine in the end zone. Even Kap's bicep kiss is exponentially more reserved.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
5I5PqK6.gif

JustTheTip

Reaction score
5_Golden_Rings":2zi4m8mq said:
To the people claiming Newton's celebration is "all about me", what about Aaron Rodgers stupid championship belt celebration? Oh, wait, that doesn't count because Aaron Rodger is... White? Lol no, that can't be it.

Nope, I think Rodgers is a douche as well. Not only that, he is a crybaby douche. See, has nothing to do with skin color.

There is plenty of actual racism going on. It only weakens a minorities point when the race card is pulled out for something stupid like this.

joeseahawks

Reaction score
If Cam is breaking any rules (taunting, time wasting, ... etc), then the referees should flag it. I haven't even seen a taunting flag thrown yet !!!
253hawk":zc5xggpm said:
The Discount Double Check takes what, 2 seconds to do? And it's not like he does it after every single first down and touchdown for 20 weeks straight. It's not a full-blown dance routine in the end zone. Even Kap's bicep kiss is exponentially more reserved.

253hawk

Reaction score
He used the ball as a prop after his kid was born and they didn't flag that, either. Just because stuff isn't being flagged doesn't mean it shouldn't be a penalty.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
Well personally I think most of you have a stick up your nether regions. Heck I loved Deion's high step, and that day when Ken Norton used the Rams goal post as a punching bag as epic. Loved TO's sharpie and Dallas star logo shenanigans. And who was it that did CPR in the football? That was hilarious.

I think these celebrations make the game more entertaining and add more competitive rivalry.