Question about LOB

QWERTY

Reaction score
Does anyone besides me think that the LOB was overrated?

LOB was Browner, Thomas, Sherman and Kam.

Browner was overrated.

Earl, allowed 10+ yard completions, and all he did was chase after guys, not contesting the WR's. Earl was overrated as well, he didn't do much except knocking the ball out of the endzone, but even when he was with the Ravens, he was cut and let go. ( Yes I do understand about that punch) But if he was good, he would had found a new team .

Sherman, I still believe was overrated he claims he's one of the best corner's , but I would say he is top 15? Def not top 10, or top 5. All he did was causing fear to opposing QB's, and I don't understand why Rodgers is afraid of him. I still remember him getting torched by Julio and Victor Cruz.

Lastly Kam wasn't overrated. I can't say anything bad about him.

But back to topic, why was the secondary deserved so much praise? They did jack s***. The reason why the Seahawks had one of the best D is because of these guys Michael Benett, Cliff Avril, Brandon Mebane, Bruce Irvin, Red Bryant. (Also to note honorable mention Chris Clemons ). Back in the superbowl against the Patriots, after Avril wasn't able to play Brady and CO destroyed our secondary. And Sherman and Earl was doing nothing.

ruffENrowdy

Reaction score
Naw man, they were great. The pass rush helped for sure.. But Sherm was an amazing CB. Kam was the enforcer for sure. Thomas was the speedy guy who could catch anyone and get the rock on the ground. Browner was the second enforcer. They were a great unit that worked well with the rest of the defense.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Lets see -

This site has them ranked 2nd best ever in NFL history

This site has them ranked 1st.

This site has Sherman as the 12th best secondary player ever

etc,,,

Yeah, I would say you are the only one that thinks that.

*Remember that the entire secondary was hurt in that Patriots game. Sherman was playing with one arm and Earl had a torn labrum while Kam had a torn MCL.*

OP
OP
Q

QWERTY

Reaction score
Dude. LOB was one of the top two or three defenses OF ALL TIME in the NFL. They went to the Superbowl at pretty much full strength and spanked/embarrassed just about the best offense in NFL history. Didn't squeak by them, effin destroyed them. GTFO with that "over-rated" BS, son.

That 2013 season was like a cupcake , where the Hawks didn't play any good QB's besides Manning and Brees, but I don't think we can justify the season with the schedule.

OP
OP
Q

QWERTY

Reaction score
Lets see -

This site has them ranked 2nd best ever in NFL history

This site has them ranked 1st.

This site has Sherman as the 12th best secondary player ever

etc,,,

Yeah, I would say you are the only one that thinks that.

*Remember that the entire secondary was hurt in that Patriots game. Sherman was playing with one arm and Earl had a torn labrum while Kam had a torn MCL.*
Free safety Earl Thomas suffered a dislocated shoulder during the NFC Championship win over the Green Bay Packers, which caused him to miss a series before returning to the game. He was a full participant in practice every day leading up to the Super Bowl, and is listed as probable. He told reporters on Wednesday that his shoulder is fully healed and he's ready to go for Sunday.

I forgot that Kam and Sherman was injured. But If I recall Sherman did nothing, Brady probably avoided him at all times, but Earl and Kam didn't do much as well.

keasley45

Reaction score
You're evaluating specific individual stats. The beauty of the LOB was that they were a unit. What they did together in the system that Pete created was remarkable. All the talk about how Pete needed all world talent to succeed is soooo much babble. How many LOB members who went elsewhere achieved the same success? Earl? Not great in Baltimore. Maxwell? Nope. Irvine did ok, but not what was expected given his success in Seattle. Smith? Average. T Thomas 3? Psshhh. Same for Bryant, and Clem, although they were toward the end when they left. Mebane made a solid account of himself with the Chargers and Sherm played well in San Fran after an injury that should have ended a CB's effectiveness as a starter.

But were they overrated? No. They excelled in a system that they fit extremely well.

The LOB was a masterful collection of extremely well lead and well coached players. They were every bit as good as their legacy states. They literally changed the rules for how the game is played because they were so good.

Not overrated in the least bit.

The whole was greater than the individual parts. But the individual parts were great to outstanding.

Last edited:

sutz

Reaction score
Anticipation Popcorn GIF

BlueTalon

Reaction score
That 2013 season was like a cupcake , where the Hawks didn't play any good QB's besides Manning and Brees, but I don't think we can justify the season with the schedule.
The Seahawks led the league in fewest points allowed for four straight years IIRC. I don't know how it's possible for them to be overrated during that time.

toffee

Reaction score
LOB was a perfect showcase of guys learned to play together, they complemented each other so perfectly. They push and mesh with each other, the sum was way more than individual parts.

LOB was an unit, not individual parts.

Very reason why LOB had problem with Russell Wilson, who put individual stat above all.

JPatera76

Reaction score
Mods, ban please
Ditto the OP's post is clearly either a troll effort or just plain stupid and meant to stir shit.

And i get its off season.. but holy crap, this takes teh cake for dumbest post of the offseason.

If anything lets Praise Sherm for staying out of prison and Kam for staying out of prison and involved with some current members and the team..
mean while Earl is in county jail and Browner is in prison.

Rainger

Reaction score
Dont forget that in that loss to the Pats that Avril went out and Lane went out which allowed TB to bring them back. The D was very injured and they were still tops.

samwize77

Reaction score
The one observation I have on this is that I never though Sherm was good against go routes.
Other than that?....one of the 2 best secondaries in NFL history.

Smellyman

Reaction score
The one observation I have on this is that I never though Sherm was good against go routes.
Other than that?....one of the 2 best secondaries in NFL history.
Hmm. I remember a ton of his picks on go routes. when ever the ball went deep to Sherm's side I assumed it was going to be a break up or a pick

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Eh? for effort.

The defense was very symbiotic. The line made the LOB look good, the LOB made the line look good. Together they somehow made even Malcolm Smith look good. Wagner was probably the only one who looked good after all the other components went their separate ways.

samwize77

Reaction score
Hmm. I remember a ton of his picks on go routes. when ever the ball went deep to Sherm's side I assumed it was going to be a break up or a pick
I might have been a little premature...I think maybe it was deep posts.......I just remember seeing him a step behind ALOT when offenses would go deep against him. Could just be faulty memory on my part.