Question about LOB

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Eh? for effort.

The defense was very symbiotic. The line made the LOB look good, the LOB made the line look good. Together they somehow made even Malcolm Smith look good. Wagner was probably the only one who looked good after all the other components went their separate ways.

If the OP is arguing that the LOB benefitted from a good d-line and LBers, that's beyond dispute. The LOB alone does not get full credit for the scoring-defense stats over those couple years.

But overrated? If you were to put the LOB on a team with an average D-line and LBers, they would probably still have had fantastic coverage stats, since each player was so skilled at his individual position.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Put me in the camp of not thinking that the LOB can be rated highly enough. We saw Aaron Rodgers, in his prime, play an entire game without throwing once to an entire side of the field. Kam (along with Lynch) was the heart of the squad and set the tone for the entire team along with being the locker room leader. Earl's range was a big reason why teams tried to nickel and dime us rather than taking shots, and with our big press corners that strategy led to punts and field goals way more often than touchdowns.

Our defensive line was very deep, but in my view they benefitted a lot more from coverage sacks than the other way around.
I might have been a little premature...I think maybe it was deep posts.......I just remember seeing him a step behind ALOT when offenses would go deep against him. Could just be faulty memory on my part.
Sherm never had elite speed so guys could get a step on him if they slipped his press. He usually made up for it though with his length and awareness of the football in the air. There were a few plays where he looked beat initially but ended up with the interception.

toffee

Reaction score
Put me in the camp of not thinking that the LOB can be rated highly enough. We saw Aaron Rodgers, in his prime, play an entire game without throwing once to an entire side of the field. Kam (along with Lynch) was the heart of the squad and set the tone for the entire team along with being the locker room leader. Earl's range was a big reason why teams tried to nickel and dime us rather than taking shots, and with our big press corners that strategy led to punts and field goals way more often than touchdowns.

Our defensive line was very deep, but in my view they benefitted a lot more from coverage sacks than the other way around.

Sherm never had elite speed so guys could get a step on him if they slipped his press. He usually made up for it though with his length and awareness of the football in the air. There were a few plays where he looked beat initially but ended up with the interception.
I noticed a few times after WR cleared Sherm's press, they turned on the jet and sped away. Only having to slow down to wait for the ball, that's when Sherm catch up, reach over and INT the ball. I think Sherm interrupted the timing of the WR's route which led to WR over ran QB's throw?

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
This is mindblowing.

LOB
Go back and look at the #s on that defense. I think the #s are that 1 out of every 4 possessions/drives by the opposing team resulted in a turnover. 25% of opposing drives.....

That is both mind-blowing and a product of the LOB. In a league that was shifting all advantages it could to the offense (as evidenced by that Bronco's team breaking historic offensive records that year)...the LOB shut down QBs. It also could give our team back the ball or score TDs itself.

LOB

-Kam
In this prime was one of the best strong safeties ever. He should be in the HOF just didn't have the longevity. He was also the linchpin of the LOB. Ronnie Lott considered him one of the greatest ever, and Lott was pretty good (HOF).

-Sherman
Surefire HOF CB and one of the best corners to ever play the game.

-Thomas
Might not have been the best FS ever, but in his prime he was nearly equal to any that did - maybe not as good as Reed but not far behind. Eugene Robinson is considered a top 10 safety in NFL history, and I would take prime Earl over prime Eugene easy. Should be in the HOF, won't because of longevity and probably the whole being crazy/DV thing.

-Browner?
(Brandon Browner not being good?)
We LITERALLY lost a SB because we did not have him. I think he killed someone, but whatever, the guy was one of the biggest and most physical corners to ever play the position. Just ask that effete slot WR from the Patriots that probably got increased his chances of retiring with CTE just from the hit that Browner put on him. Browner was a nightmare for WRs. He would also often goad WRs into fighting him which would screw up the offensive drive by derailing the play. If we kept Browner, we would have won that SB. I pointed out how stupid it was to release him then, I don't care if he was failing drug tests.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I'm still half attempted to believe the OP was being ironic.

LOB overrated? Might as well say so was Joe Montana, The Steel Curtain, Purple People Eaters, et al...

Milehighhawk

Reaction score
Eh? for effort.

The defense was very symbiotic. The line made the LOB look good, the LOB made the line look good. Together they somehow made even Malcolm Smith look good. Wagner was probably the only one who looked good after all the other components went their separate ways.
The only thing I can add to this thread not said was this comment right here nails it. They in fact made Malcolm Smith, perhaps the weakest link on the regular rotation, a super bowl MVP. I may not like a lot of the drama, but man that back four was all-time great and amazing to watch from pre-snap through the whistle. I mean when you can be excited when your team punts the ball because you know what is awaiting the opposing offense, you know there is something special.

NY Hawk

Reaction score
Does anyone besides me think that the LOB was overrated?

LOB was Browner, Thomas, Sherman and Kam.

Browner was overrated.

Earl, allowed 10+ yard completions, and all he did was chase after guys, not contesting the WR's. Earl was overrated as well, he didn't do much except knocking the ball out of the endzone, but even when he was with the Ravens, he was cut and let go. ( Yes I do understand about that punch) But if he was good, he would had found a new team .

Sherman, I still believe was overrated he claims he's one of the best corner's , but I would say he is top 15? Def not top 10, or top 5. All he did was causing fear to opposing QB's, and I don't understand why Rodgers is afraid of him. I still remember him getting torched by Julio and Victor Cruz.

Lastly Kam wasn't overrated. I can't say anything bad about him.

But back to topic, why was the secondary deserved so much praise? They did jack s***. The reason why the Seahawks had one of the best D is because of these guys Michael Benett, Cliff Avril, Brandon Mebane, Bruce Irvin, Red Bryant. (Also to note honorable mention Chris Clemons ). Back in the superbowl against the Patriots, after Avril wasn't able to play Brady and CO destroyed our secondary. And Sherman and Earl was doing nothing.

NY Hawk

Reaction score
Does anyone besides me think that the LOB was overrated?

LOB was Browner, Thomas, Sherman and Kam.

Browner was overrated.

Earl, allowed 10+ yard completions, and all he did was chase after guys, not contesting the WR's. Earl was overrated as well, he didn't do much except knocking the ball out of the endzone, but even when he was with the Ravens, he was cut and let go. ( Yes I do understand about that punch) But if he was good, he would had found a new team .

Sherman, I still believe was overrated he claims he's one of the best corner's , but I would say he is top 15? Def not top 10, or top 5. All he did was causing fear to opposing QB's, and I don't understand why Rodgers is afraid of him. I still remember him getting torched by Julio and Victor Cruz.

Lastly Kam wasn't overrated. I can't say anything bad about him.

But back to topic, why was the secondary deserved so much praise? They did jack s***. The reason why the Seahawks had one of the best D is because of these guys Michael Benett, Cliff Avril, Brandon Mebane, Bruce Irvin, Red Bryant. (Also to note honorable mention Chris Clemons ). Back in the superbowl against the Patriots, after Avril wasn't able to play Brady and CO destroyed our secondary. And Sherman and Earl was doing nothing.
Let me have some of what you been smoking on.

OP
OP
Q

QWERTY

Reaction score
Still believe that the LOB was overrated, but

What years are we looking at? Obviously 2013 and 2014 season is a big difference.

2015- Lost to Rams 2x 1 with Foles, 1 with Keenum
Palmer, Dalton threw 300 Yards+ Ben threw 400.

But that 2015 schedule was more cupcake QB's.

Clausen, Cassell, Manziel, Gabbert.

sdog1981

Reaction score
This is some low-quality trolling. You can't be this ignorant to think one of the best defenses of all time was overrated.