Question for the prognosticators

acctingman

Reaction score
How does anyone who knows anything about football think this team is capable of winning 7-9 games? Swear to GOD I'm not trolling. I really want to know how anyone thinks this team is going to win that many games? They do not have the talent. Where is the 7+wins coming from? I see them winning maybe 5 games. Falcons, Panthers I can see the game going both ways. Baring any major injuries this is what I see. Someone more knowledgeable please enlighten me.

Home vs Broncos - L
@ 49'ners - L
Home vs Falcons - W (50/50 imo)
@ Lions - W
@ Saints - L
Home vs Cards - L
@ Chargers - L
Home vs Giants - W
@ Cards - L
@ Bucs - L
Home vs Raiders - L
@ Rams - L
Home vs Carolina - W (50/50 imo)
Home vs 49'ners - L
@ Chiefs - L
Home vs Jets - W
Home vs Rams - L

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
How does anyone who knows anything about football think this team is capable of winning 7-9 games? Swear to GOD I'm not trolling. I really want to know how anyone thinks this team is going to win that many games? They do not have the talent. Where is the 7+wins coming from? I see them winning maybe 5 games. Falcons, Panthers I can see the game going both ways. Baring any major injuries this is what I see. Someone more knowledgeable please enlighten me.

Home vs Broncos - L
@ 49'ners - L
@ Lions - W
@ Saints - L
Home vs Cards - L
@ Chargers - L
Home vs Giants - W
@ Cards - L
@ Bucs - L
Home vs Raiders - L
@ Rams - L
Home vs 49'ners - L
@ Chiefs - L
Home vs Jets - W
Home vs Rams - L
Sigh.

People who know about football know very well that teams have a high degree of variance because this is a league of parity. Good teams often lose. Bad teams often win. Players develop. Players devolve. Injuries happen. Some teams stay healthy. Locker rooms are lost. Chemistry is found.

Preseason is famously misleading, no matter how ugly or impressive it can be.

Don't be fooled by temporary depression post preseason drubbing. This is fundamentally a game of inches, and any team is capable of being good enough to win nearly half their games.

Dude, the Bengals were in the Super Bowl last year. Blake Bortles and Case Keenum made conference championship games.

It's fine to be pessimistic, but to grandstand like this and say that it's impossible for this team to go 7-10 or slightly better is just plainly wrong.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Home vs Broncos - W

We win on pure emotion alone. The players will be over their heads with intensity. Who cares who is taking snaps. The 12s will be in full throat. Book it.

@ 49'ners - L

Most likely.

Home vs Falcons - W

Agreed.

@ Lions - W

Also agree.

@ Saints - L

Yup.

Home vs Cards - L

Yup.

@ Chargers - L

Yup times two.

Home vs Giants - W

Yup.

@ Cards - L

Yup.

@ Bucs - L

Yup.

Home vs Raiders - L

Yup. (I'm sensing a theme here.)

@ Rams - L

Obviously.

Home vs Carolina - W

I think so, yup.

Home vs 49'ners - W

I have this one as a win. Split the series.

@ Chiefs - L

Yup.

Home vs Jets - L

This is the one stinker game even this team should have won.

Home vs Rams - W

Going to say they rally for their coaches and themselves and beat the Rams at home to finish the year.

7-10. Seahawks at the 12th pick move up to the #1 and take who they hope is their future franchise QB.

Tusc2000

Reaction score
Geno can beat the Falcons, Jets, and Giants. I see 3-14 as a likely finish, putting us at either #1, 2 or 3 in the draft. If Lock starts, we'll go 0-17 and clinch the #1 pick. That's all we're playing for this year.

chrispy

Reaction score
The team didn't play well last night. If any of the above opponents replaced the Bears last night, it would very likely have resulted in the same outcome. It's reasonable to argue, with the play we've seen up to this point, that the team will not win a single game. But I think we all expect better play as time goes on... we're just arguing about degrees and margins and timing.

If the outcome of games were easily predicted, we'd all be rich and Vegas would be poor. Any given Sunday.... Having seen the performance last night, there won't be any surprises when the Seahawks lose. There's only upside when/if they don't lose.

Things to ponder:
1)Are the Seahawks starters that were sitting/uninvolved last night better than the Bears starters that were sitting? Could DK and Lockett have improved Geno's play early and change the trajectory of the game? ...maybe...
2)Rookies getting playtime will improve more/faster than vets. Bad losses early, that also include a lot of rookie potential, could turn around later in the season. ... possibly...
3)If your starting QB were to be pulled mid-week during the regular season, would a really bad game be a surprise? ...not arguing it would have in this case, but ...perhaps...
4)Is there any chance that a new Head Coach with new staff and young QB and new GM... might be trying to implement more of their "real playbook" in pre-season as opposed to PC (who never pulls out the stops before the 2nd half)? ...dunno...
5)I think it would be considered reasonable to think the Cowboys are a better team, currently, compared to the Bears. Aug 26 has the Seahawks going to Dallas. If the Seahawks win that game, do all the negative nancies go away? ... or do we just chalk it up to pre-season inconsistencies...? Or should we even watch that game since the team, according to every post in the last 18 hours, can't be competitive? My point is: Depending on the outcome of the Cowboys game, the Bears game becomes irrelevant. So... I'm personally looking forward to next weekend.

...none of the above are arguments to try to convince anyone of anything. I offer them as merely possibilities for those that wish to consider them. If you don't want to consider them, you have no reason to reply.

PS
The 2001 NE Patriots lost their pre-season game to TampaBay 3-20. starters: Drew Bledsoe v Shaun King. The Pats started the season 1-3 including a 3-10 loss to the Jets. They had a losing season into November until they hit .500/4-4 against the Falcons. The 2001 Pats won the SuperBowl. They had the advantage of a relatively unknown QB coming off the bench to replace Bledsoe. He had almost no nfl playtime up to that point. Tom Brady changed the course of the franchise but would have gone unnoticed if the team was winning. No one is professing that the 2022 Seahawks are SuperBowl bound or that the next Tom Brady is currently on the bench. ... but the 2022 Seahawks' destiny is not yet set in stone.

Mizak

Reaction score
we split with Cards and Niners; win against Saints, Lions, Panthers, Falcons, Giants, Jets, Raiders, maybe Broncos. 10-7.

John63

Reaction score

Home vs Broncos - L
@ 49'ners - L
@ Lions - W
@ Saints - L
Home vs Cards - L
@ Chargers - L
Home vs Giants - W
@ Cards - L
@ Bucs - L
Home vs Raiders - L
@ Rams - L
Home vs 49'ners - L
@ Chiefs - L
Home vs Jets - W
Home vs Rams - L
I actually agree with you

John63

Reaction score
Lots of dreaming going on. Remember denial is not just a river in Egypt

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Geno can beat the Falcons, Jets, and Giants. I see 3-14 as a likely finish, putting us at either #1, 2 or 3 in the draft. If Lock starts, we'll go 0-17 and clinch the #1 pick. That's all we're playing for this year.

How in the world do you figure Lock won't win a single game with the talent around him? In fact, I would suggest we have a chance to win MORE games with Lock than Geno. I know, it's not saying a whole lot, but it is what it is.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
How does anyone who knows anything about football think this team is capable of winning 7-9 games?
It's possible. It's just not the most likely result, particularly with what the division has looked like.

The 7-9 games prediction is a really common fan reaction to having a team that is as depleted as this one (with one particular position dragging it down particularly hard). Having around a .500 record with what this team has would give hope that it has a lot of immediate upside.

Fade

Reaction score

Home vs Broncos - L
@ 49'ners - L
@ Lions - W
@ Saints - L
Home vs Cards - L
@ Chargers - L
Home vs Giants - W
@ Cards - L
@ Bucs - L
Home vs Raiders - L
@ Rams - L
Home vs 49'ners - L
@ Chiefs - L
Home vs Jets - W
Home vs Rams - L
I know, right? I picked 5 wins back when the schedule came out. Now after the Seahawks looking like a dumpster fire on defense, and more anemic at QB than anticipated, and in general a disorganized mess. I am sweating out my prediction, as it seems a little high.

I'm sticking with it though, because stuff happens in the NFL, and it's really more about when you play them, not who you are playing.

Denver week 1 is the best time to get them. Week 2 and beyond I'd pick Denver in a blowout. Week 1 crazy stuff happens, it's winnable, giving Denver only a slight edge in that game.

Week 2 @ 49ers. 9ers are going to win in a route. Seattle will be on short rest, coming off the emotions of the Denver game.

Week 3 vs ATL. Is the Litmus test. That should be a get right game. They face plant there, Pete should retire.

Week 4 @ Lions you have as a win, but I currently have as a loss. They're scrappy and Goff likes playing the Seahawks.

Not to bore you with the entire schedule, but they should beat ATL, NYJ, NYG, and two other teams somehow because it's the NFL.

John63

Reaction score
How in the world do you figure Lock won't win a single game with the talent around him? In fact, I would suggest we have a chance to win MORE games with Lock than Geno. I know, it's not saying a whole lot, but it is what it is.
A simple look at the talent he had around him in Denver and he went 1-5 His numbers

60% complete, 2 tds 2 ints, 80 passers 131 yards per game and he did not even last the whole game in 2 of them including the one they won. He was 0-4 in the games he played the whole game in, a whopping 61% complete, 1 td 1 int, and 85 passers wow that's better not.

His number the year before was worse and he started 12 games and went 3-9.

His rookie year well his best but still far from great

4-1 but 200 yards a game, 7 TDS 3 ints, 64% complete and 90 passers still below avg

NJlargent

Reaction score
I am perplexed with the thought process that we are currently like the team from 2012 and just about the turn the corner again once we get a QB. I don't see it. The defense stinks. We are 5+ from being any good and our divisional foes have blown by us.

Tusc2000

Reaction score
All right, I was being a little dramatic. But since the beginning of 2020, after DCs had an opportunity to study him after the 2019 season, Lock's record as a starter for Denver was 4-12. I don't think either Lock to Geno will do well this year, but yeah, it is what it is.

Fade

Reaction score
I am perplexed with the thought process that we are currently like the team from 2012 and just about the turn the corner again once we get a QB. I don't see it. The defense stinks. We are 5+ from being any good and our divisional foes have blown by us.
Weirdos, built a helluva narrative in their heads that it was somehow all Wilson's fault. If they just got rid of him, Pete's greatness would fully shine, and the Seahawks would return to prominence.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
I wouldnt put The Lions and Jets in the automatic l category As both are much farther along in their rebuilds.

Zach went no. 2 in the draft, and Saleh is right off that budding winning shanahan Tree, and Lions players will run thru walls for their new coach.

As far as the 9ers, this year, look at Nate Sudfelds performance in preseason. Compare to Geno or Lock. That’s the 49ers worst case, their actual backup playing who would be a backup elsewhere.

keasley45

Reaction score
Home vs Broncos - W

We win on pure emotion alone. The players will be over their heads with intensity. Who cares who is taking snaps. The 12s will be in full throat. Book it.

@ 49'ners - L

Most likely.

Home vs Falcons - W

Agreed.

@ Lions - W

Also agree.

@ Saints - L

Yup.

Home vs Cards - L

Yup.

@ Chargers - L

Yup times two.

Home vs Giants - W

Yup.

@ Cards - L

Yup.

@ Bucs - L

Yup.

Home vs Raiders - L

Yup. (I'm sensing a theme here.)

@ Rams - L

Obviously.

Home vs Carolina - W

I think so, yup.

Home vs 49'ners - W

I have this one as a win. Split the series.

@ Chiefs - L

Yup.

Home vs Jets - L

This is the one stinker game even this team should have won.

Home vs Rams - W

Going to say they rally for their coaches and themselves and beat the Rams at home to finish the year.

7-10. Seahawks at the 12th pick move up to the #1 and take who they hope is their future franchise QB.
You have them losing to the Cards without their top 2 wrs?

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
its going to get worse as the season goes on. “Oh DK, you have a hangnail? We are not winning anyway so take the year off to avoid injury risk.“

GemCity

Reaction score
Weirdos, built a helluva narrative in their heads that it was somehow all Wilson's fault. If they just got rid of him, Pete's greatness would fully shine, and the Seahawks would return to prominence.
I’ve eased back on my “we’re going to suck” rhetoric but, it’s like politics.

Anti-Russel Wilson vs the rest. Then, the excuses fly.

But…no more. This roster isn’t as talented as people are making it out to be. Our QB room stinks. Pete…it’s time to go. There are dynamic, young (not that it matters) coaches in our very own division that coach circles around Pete. Geno isn’t it…neither is Lock.

I predicted 5 and like Fade, I’m beginning to think I over-estimated.

It’s not all negative…I loved the draft and am at ease knowing that we are going to suck this year (and the next). I’m looking forward to watching these young guys develop. I’m really looking forward to a new coaching staff.

Parity…it’s just preseason…new QB in a new scheme, new DC, rookies in important roles, challenging schedule, injuries, need time… can’t predict how effective the draft is as it’s a crapshoot…save it. All teams deal with similar issues.