Raiders-Broncos

toffee

Reaction score
According Mr. Wilson:

“We called a pass play to kind of end the game basically right there. You get a first down, the game’s over,” No. 3 explained. “They kind of covered it up pretty good. I tried to get outside of the pocket and [Jalen] Virgil was kind of scrambling down. I thought I had him, and I tried to take a shot to him. The ball just kind of went away from him a little bit.”

Wilson wasn’t intending to throw the ball away. It just “went away” from where he wanted it to.

RiverDog

Reaction score
I've been listening to this debate all morning and from the descriptions, it doesn't sound like Russell had much of a chance of completing that 3rd and 10 pass, but the quote from him makes it sound like he had a very good chance, that it was just off by "a little bit."

I was watching NFL Red Zone at the time and didn't see the play in question, nor was the game in my market so I don't have a recording of it, and we really need to see for ourselves just how viable that last pass of his was.

All of the highlight clips I've seen of the Raiders-Broncos game doesn't show that play. Can someone direct me to a video clip that shows it?

MyrtleHawk

Can I get a hoyyaaa
Reaction score
I'm not sure if you guys know who Brandon Perna is, but this is the 2nd video I've seen of his during this season and he makes the Broncos' losses even funnier (as he himself is a Broncos fan). Definitely worth a watch:

QWERTY

Reaction score
I've been listening to this debate all morning and from the descriptions, it doesn't sound like Russell had much of a chance of completing that 3rd and 10 pass, but the quote from him makes it sound like he had a very good chance, that it was just off by "a little bit."

I was watching NFL Red Zone at the time and didn't see the play in question, nor was the game in my market so I don't have a recording of it, and we really need to see for ourselves just how viable that last pass of his was.

All of the highlight clips I've seen of the Raiders-Broncos game doesn't show that play. Can someone direct me to a video clip that shows it?
It wasn't off by a little bit. It was off a lot.

QWERTY

Reaction score
That's what I've heard, and I have no doubt that you're correct, but nevertheless, I'd like to see it for myself.
Dude, MyrtleHawk posted the video.

And I was the idiot that just bought NFL + just now. SMH :(

@9:08

QWERTY

Reaction score
But if his intention was to throw the ball to the TE, that's a different story.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
Driving all day today and listened to a lot of people talking about Wilson's lack of awareness by not taking the sack and letting the clock run which was the most important thing there unless he had someone wide open.

It totally reminded me of his lack of awareness in the Bears game last year, which at the time I thought was unusual for Russ. It was third down and even no gain was pretty makable FG but with the snow anything longer would have been iffy. The most important thing was not take a sack, cause a FG makes it a 2 score game. Well Russ doesn't take the RB (Homer?) on a check down that's either a first down or worst case scenario incomplete with a drop.
Instead he does his spin right into Quinn, I think who was waiting for him. You could see how mad Duane Brown was cause he had done a good job of pushing Quinn upfield. Sure enough, the longer FG is missed and the Bears come down the field and win.

Seak

Reaction score
According Mr. Wilson:

“We called a pass play to kind of end the game basically right there. You get a first down, the game’s over,” No. 3 explained. “They kind of covered it up pretty good. I tried to get outside of the pocket and [Jalen] Virgil was kind of scrambling down. I thought I had him, and I tried to take a shot to him. The ball just kind of went away from him a little bit.”

Wilson wasn’t intending to throw the ball away. It just “went away” from where he wanted it to.
Aww man, that was the funniest part.
I was so confused when that happened. Who was he throwing to to? and why didn't he take a sack.
I watch a lot of football, not an X and O guy, but I knew that was wrong when I saw it.
Lets Ride baby

*Edit* Forgot to say the excuse reminded me of him trying to "make a play" in crunch time against the bears.

OP
OP
Ruminator

Ruminator

Reaction score
Driving all day today and listened to a lot of people talking about Wilson's lack of awareness by not taking the sack and letting the clock run which was the most important thing there unless he had someone wide open.

It totally reminded me of his lack of awareness in the Bears game last year, which at the time I thought was unusual for Russ. It was third down and even no gain was pretty makable FG but with the snow anything longer would have been iffy. The most important thing was not take a sack, cause a FG makes it a 2 score game. Well Russ doesn't take the RB (Homer?) on a check down that's either a first down or worst case scenario incomplete with a drop.
Instead he does his spin right into Quinn, I think who was waiting for him. You could see how mad Duane Brown was cause he had done a good job of pushing Quinn upfield. Sure enough, the longer FG is missed and the Bears come down the field and win.
Wow! Sounds like a guy I'd like to give a quarter billion dollar contract to!

James in PA

Reaction score
Aww man, that was the funniest part.
I was so confused when that happened. Who was he throwing to to? and why didn't he take a sack.
I watch a lot of football, not an X and O guy, but I knew that was wrong when I saw it.
Lets Ride baby

*Edit* Forgot to say the excuse reminded me of him trying to "make a play" in crunch time against the bears.

Edit: I replied to the wrong post. What I'm referring to below is the Bears game from last year:

That play and his refusal to take any blame in the postgame presser was the breaking point for me. I thought he was declining and overrated long before that, but that just made it crystal clear that he values hero ball over winning. That was absolutely ridiculous and unforgivable.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
“The ball just went away from me” is as bad as Melvin saying his teammates recovered the fumble and they lived to play another down.