Raise your hand if you're going to have a meltdown when....

DavidSeven

Reaction score
And last year everyone flipped when we didn't take a single linebacker through the entire draft. What happened? That position group ended up being one of the deepest and strongest on the team.

Truthfully, I do expect and hope that they go OL early. However, I have to concede that I don't know their current valuations of Bowie and Bailey. The indications are that they like those players. They wouldn't have let Breno and McQ walk otherwise. If they wait on OL, I'm not going to trip. They have more information than I do.

sutz

Reaction score
I don't do meltdowns; life's too short. Signing Rice back takes some of the WR pressure off. We don't need to draft a guy to have immediate impact; we can get a guy that may take a year or two to coach up and season. Hell, we're pretty much in shape to do that across the board. It's been discussed ad nauseum and it's been proven to me that we didn't lose any major pieces to the puzzle and can do this draft in prospect/coachable mode.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":2d5itprq said:
Baily and Bowie can start at RT and Guard. O-Line picks will be for depth. I want more play makers with the first couple picks.
First, I'll be another one that says I'm sold on whatever players JS and PC have identified and will be drafting to this team (even a backup QB. There's some good ones in this draft. What would be the reaction if the Hawks traded out of the first round... then selected LSU QB Zach Mettenberger or Bama's A.J. McCarron in the early 2nd? I could see almost about anything at this point - except drafting a QB in the first round.)

But, I agree. I think I'd rather have the guys with some experience since it takes time to gel as a cohesive line, even if they draft good OL talent. I understand they were rotating a lot and we not set in stone. And, yes... the coaches let them battle it out - competitions for positions. Still, I think it's going to be especially difficult and unlikely to see a rookie win a starting position this year on anything other than Special Teams. The players that got valuable experience are good ones. They should only be better this next season. That's a huge advantage going into any open competition.

sutz

Reaction score
TeamoftheCentury":1a8fimz9 said:
SacHawk2.0":1a8fimz9 said:
Baily and Bowie can start at RT and Guard. O-Line picks will be for depth. I want more play makers with the first couple picks.
First, I'll be another one that says I'm sold on whatever players JS and PC have identified and will be drafting to this team (even a backup QB. There's some good ones in this draft. What would be the reaction if the Hawks traded out of the first round... then selected LSU QB Zach Mettenberger or Bama's A.J. McCarron in the early 2nd? I could see almost about anything at this point - except drafting a QB in the first round.)

But, I agree. I think I'd rather have the guys with some experience since it takes time to gel as a cohesive line, even if they draft good OL talent. I understand they were rotating a lot and we not set in stone. And, yes... the coaches let them battle it out - competitions for positions. Still, I think it's going to be especially difficult and unlikely to see a rookie win a starting position this year on anything other than Special Teams. The players that got valuable experience are good ones. They should only be better this next season. That's a huge advantage going into any open competition.
It would not bother me at all if they started the GB system of drafting QBs, coaching them up for a couple of years, and then trading them for value.

OP
OP
T

TheWalrus

Reaction score
kearly":1oncucev said:
The opening post does something a lot of people do, which is treat the NFL draft like it's magical a convenience store to fix problems with high picks. The Seahawks secondary was miserable in 2008, 2009, and 2010, among the worst in the league during that span. So how'd they fix this huge problem? Earl Thomas aside, they waited until rounds 5 and 6 to draft guys like Kam Chancellor, Richard Sherman, and Byron Maxwell, while adding a Canadian Football League player who had already bounced out of the NFL. Just because they didn't spend high picks didn't mean they didn't have "their" players targeted. They went out and got their guys, they just weren't high picks.

It's not about the round you pick a player in, it's about the player you are picking.

JR Sweezy is turning into an above average guard and Bailey has looked very good when he's played. The combined draft expenditure for both players combined was one 7th round pick.

So I would ask the OP, WHO are the players you so desperately want at #32 or #64? Because honestly, I see a few guys that are okay (Bitonio, Moses), and then a bit later (like rounds 3-5 range) I see some players I actually like quite a bit like Turner and Yankey and I'm sure there are other players nobody has talked about that will make for quality OL prospects. Who was talking about Bowie, Bailey, or Sweezy?

Anyway, I'm sure Seattle will have certain guys targeted, but that doesn't mean the guys they like the most will require high picks. Think about how much they loved Russell Wilson but they still waited for the 3rd round to get him.

Meanwhile, the best players at #32 figure to be offensive skill position guys. If they take Bitonio or Moses at #32, good for them. But I would be just as happy if not happier if we got somebody like Marquise Lee or Jarvis Landry or Odell Beckham with that pick. Granted, this assumes there are no highly unlikely scenarios like Taylor Lewan falling to the final pick in the first round.

Did you even read my original post because you're condescending reply is a complete misinterpretation of what I wrote. My point was simply that anybody who has convinced themselves that the team is going to draft an offensive lineman in round 1 or 2 might end up disappointed.

The genesis of this thread was a combination ore a few posts I've seen on this board and listening to John Clayton and Dave Boling on the radio speak as though drafting OL high in the draft is a certainty......A notion I believe is foolish. (I can already hear Clayton questioning their draft when they don't draft OL until the 5th round.)

I don't desperately want them to draft anybody. I don't think that way and never have.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
I think your general premise is correct because they will ultimately draft whichever player they think is the best available. OT is the one position they really need to fill in this draft, so I don't think it's out of the question that they find an OT they like at the top of the board when picking at 64. But as you say, there very well could be a player at a different position they covet more who becomes available at that spot.

There should be some decent OTs available in the later rounds. Cyrus Kouandjio seems to be falling like a rock. Same goes for Antonio Richardson and Brandon Thomas. Billy Turner looks like a solid option in the 4th Round or below. They could get value if they pick at OT in the later rounds, but it is the one position on the team that truly needs depth.

Seafan

Reaction score
If the Hawks draft a QB, P, or K in the first round I'm going to be pissed. :mrgreen:

Otherwise, BPA. Even if it is a TE. I highly doubt there is a TE in this draft that the Hawk FO likes in the 1st.

If a CB is selected at #32 how many will be upset?

The reason I'm excited about this draft is that Pete/JS are unpredictable. What if they take a RB?

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
It's still Carroll and Schneider making all the draft day decisions, right?

Then I won't have a melt down

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Ziggyy108":20u4gxz9 said:
ZLDRider":20u4gxz9 said:
I think they're going to trade down a couple of times to stock up some later round picks and then get some OL-men in later rounds .

I think that they feel they can coach up guys in later rounds and history has shown that so far.

Z

Do we have roster space for that many extra picks this year???

The program in theory should result in about 6 starters per year being signed away from the team. That means every year, we'll need about 4-6 players to make the team for dev/depth.

Next year, we could expect to lose close to 8 starters (Baldwin, Lynch, Carpenter, Wright, Maxwell, Smith, Avril). The year after that same deal.

We need players to make the team. Because we're going to be constantly reloading.

justafan

Reaction score
I will be disappointed and surprised if they dont get pick one early if someone is there that makes sense.They have shown in the past the importance they place on Oline by spending high picks and signing Unger to a bigger contract.They know the Ol is priority to being a run dominant team.No meltdown tho

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Kip is spot on.

You can't magically create a top offensive lineman at #32. If that player isn't there (ditto at #64) you don't force the pick. You address other areas.

We know they're very comfortable finding starters later in the draft. Right tackle and OL depth isn't exactly the type of position teams annually fill in round one.

Nobody should be having a meltdown.

General Manager

Reaction score
Well we have seen them take a player with a second or third round grade in round one before so no one really knows what there thinking. They have traded down in the past and I expect them to try again this year and pick up ideally a third but more likely a 4rth.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
I also wonder what the likes of Van Roten and the ex Chargers guy whose name escapes me will have impact wise on the O line. Camp fodder or do they see potential over and above those who are in this draft?

seahawksTopGear

Reaction score
I would be frustrated if either of our first two picks are Guards. If we can pick a starting RT with 32 I would not complain though.

The whole point of going Zone is to not have to spend draft capital on the line.