Rams get number 1 pick!

McGruff

Reaction score
Overseasfan":2tx2wx7a said:
If they hit on this they will be a strong contender for years, if they miss they will suck for years. All or nothing move, just made this year's draft a lot more exciting.

Not really. We knew what the Titans were going to do at #1 (Tunsil) and now we know what the Rams are going to do at #1 (Wentz). The teams and names have changed, but it is still very predictable.

The good thing is that this pretty much guarantees the pathetically mediocre QBs will go one and two, and that pushes real talent further down the draft.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Hopefully it will be karma. Rams finally getting fleeced in a trade....hopefully whoever they get turns out to be the next JaMarcus Russell, David Carr, Jeff George, and Tim Couch.

randomation

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":290zhg94 said:
Wentz needs to hit hard and immediately for this to be worth it. Think a young Carson Palmer. He needs to be that for the Rams.

Carson got to sit for a year which is a big part of why he was good in his actual debut.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
randomation":3cbn388w said:
Maelstrom787":3cbn388w said:
Wentz needs to hit hard and immediately for this to be worth it. Think a young Carson Palmer. He needs to be that for the Rams.

Carson got to sit for a year which is a big part of why he was good in his actual debut.

Good point. Forgot about that year behind Kitna.

Jesus man I just would've traded for Glennon or something. The Rams must really like Wentz a ton.

I miss watching old Carson. He was a natural. Just a great qb to watch before the knee explosion.

rjdriver

Reaction score
I just hope the Titans and Rams play in 2017 or 2018 so Tennesee can bring out all these draft picks as coin toss captains before eviscerating the Rams.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
The Titans & Rams just collaborated to prevent Wentz's career being ruined by being drafted #2 by the Browns. They should get some type of humanitarian award for that.

pehawk

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":1rd5tz3i said:
randomation":1rd5tz3i said:
Maelstrom787":1rd5tz3i said:

Good point. Forgot about that year behind Kitna.

Jesus man I just would've traded for Glennon or something. The Rams must really like Wentz a ton.

I miss watching old Carson. He was a natural. Just a great qb to watch before the knee explosion.

Word. I want to start a kickstarter freeing Mike Glennon.

I wonder if this type of move is the real Kronke? IMO, he took a page out of Clay Bennett's book in St Louis, playing stepford owner. Maybe Kronke's secretly a Snyder?

hawknation2016

Reaction score
Two firsts, two seconds, and two thirds for . . . Wentz or Goff? Damn, that is quite a risky gamble on a player with no proven upside.

I would have to call this foolhardy.

ivotuk

Reaction score
I don't think Goff is going to be very good, and Wentz might get eaten alive jumping from FCS to the NFL.

I've never seen anything in Goff, he just seems like a weak QB, Blaine Gabbert-ish. I may be completly off base, but that's my take. I think Wentz will have the better career, but that Goff will struggle early in his career, but start pulling it together late in his career.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
FWIW .. Matt Miller and Colin Cowherd are both reporting the Rams made this move for Jared Goff, not Carson Wentz.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/ColinCowherd/status/720641027996913664[/tweet]

Ramfan128

Reaction score
HawkMeat":iqoamqtm said:
Curious what the Rams fans think of this? Excited?

EXTREMELY.

It sacrifices picks in this draft and basically just the 1st next year....with the mega contracts that Jenkins and McCleod got, we will surely have a 3rd round compensatory pick next year.

On top of that, we still have two 4th round picks to play with this year...one being the Titans which is basically a 3rd round pick. So I'm thrilled.

Prefer Wentz right now, but I'd be happy with Goff.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
ivotuk":18d812of said:
I don't think Goff is going to be very good, and Wentz might get eaten alive jumping from FCS to the NFL.

I've never seen anything in Goff, he just seems like a weak QB, Blaine Gabbert-ish. I may be completly off base, but that's my take. I think Wentz will have the better career, but that Goff will struggle early in his career, but start pulling it together late in his career.

I love Goff but not as a #1 pick .. he needs time to get acclimated to the pro game, bulk up a little bit, etc.

The Rams are going to ruin this guy. And if Wentz goes to Cleveland, he won't fare much better.

Ramfan128

Reaction score
hawknation2016":317rv9mf said:
Two firsts, two seconds, and two thirds for . . . Wentz or Goff? Damn, that is quite a risky gamble on a player with no proven upside.

I would have to call this foolhardy.

Meh.

Their first for our first. Their 4th and 6th for our 3rd.

From that perspective I feel like we gave up 2 2nd round picks, our 1st next year and our 3rd next year, to jump 14 spots.....that's not bad at all.

Also, with the litany of high picks we've had, re-signing players has been the top priority...not having a 1st round pick next year will save some of the cap...Aaron Donald will need re-signed soon.

If we carried on without getting a QB, we would be 7-9 forever. I'm pumped that they recognized that and actually are doing something about it.

As far as the prospects go....if this were the Luck/RG3 draft class we wouldn't have been able to trade up from number 15. Considering our ability to be average with guys like Kellen Clemens and Austin Davis, having a shot at a real QB is a great feeling.

Finally, people will always compare this draft class to another...but right now, Luck/RG3 combined aren't doing well at all....so the reality is that nobody really knows how these guys will turn out. I love everything about Carson Wentz though and I think he has all the tools to be elite.

Jville

Reaction score
It all comes down to their plan for 2016. It is my impression that Fisher plans to lean heavily on the running game, the defense and special teams in 2016.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
The price may be a little steep, but I think it's a good move. The Rams are right on the cusp of fighting for the division crown, and this likely puts them in the driver's seat for second place this year unless the pick turns out to be a bust. They can copy the Seahawks formula from 2012 to bring Goff along while leaning heavily on Gurley and the defense.

They just became dangerous.

- bsd

chris98251

Reaction score
Sam Bradford was the guy, oh no it's now Nick Foles, now Goff, the player may have potential but there has never been a young QB that Fisher could not destroy, just remember that.

keatonisballin

Reaction score
Hopefully this ends up like Bradford. Goff/Wentz ends up being a bust but they gave up so much to get him that they keep hoping he'll improve year after year. And he never does. So they just stay in 8-8ville forever. Lmao Rams.

mikeak

Reaction score
Scottemojo":25s6uj2r said:
And I bet they go Goff.

I am getting sick of players I like coming out of college going to the Rams. Which is why I am sure they take Goff. I am hoping they take Wentz instead.
But i love how much they spent for the pick.
And yes, I quoted myself.

Not just once....but twice :)