Rams get number 1 pick!

chris98251

Reaction score
Have to give them credit, they keep swinging for the fences, they know what a franchise QB means as far as wins and stability, the division isn't going to be there for them without solid QB play and consistency.

mikeak

Reaction score
If it pans out - great move

If it doesn't work out - HORRIFIC

So as long as you are willing to bet the next 2-3 years on one guy being IT and not getting injured or actually fail to excel then yeah good move. If you aren't willing to gamble everything on one guy in a league that while it values QB does require a 53 man roster to win then bad move.....

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Ramfan128":lh57cxyv said:
..........If we carried on without getting a QB, we would be 7-9 forever. I'm pumped that they recognized that and actually are doing something about it..........
Completely agree about the perpetual 7-9, and if I were you I'd be pumped too. Time will tell if your team made the right move. I have my doubts, but many people had doubts about Russell Wilson too, so.........

I'd go Goff btw.

chris98251":lh57cxyv said:
Sam Bradford was the guy, oh no it's now Nick Foles, now Goff, the player may have potential but there has never been a young QB that Fisher could not destroy, just remember that.
And this is why if I were a Rams fan, I'd be very worried. Stan should've canned Coach Cheap Shot before moving to LA.

White Devil

Reaction score
Trade summed up perfectly in one GIF

[tweet]https://twitter.com/DanRubenstein/status/720633674455093248[/tweet]

kearly

Reaction score
In terms of media hype since the combine, Wentz >>> Goff. A report out of LA said they are targeting Wentz but are still considering Goff strongly.

Goff is clearly the better QB IMO, but Wentz is the more "prototypical" guy physically and has stronger intangibles.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
kearly":20q8unye said:
In terms of media hype since the combine, Wentz >>> Goff. A report out of LA said they are targeting Wentz but are still considering Goff strongly.

Goff is clearly the better QB IMO, but Wentz is the more "prototypical" guy physically and has stronger intangibles.

Would you happen to have the sparq scores handy?

elmgrovegnome

Reaction score
Overseasfan":1dhy7vv8 said:
If they hit on this they will be a strong contender for years, if they miss they will suck for years. All or nothing move, just made this year's draft a lot more exciting.

Exactly. They had to do it IMO. The window of opportunity can close very quickly. The Rams Defense is good enough, the Oline looked like it could be good. The Running game is there. QB and WR are the last big pieces. If they don't get a good QB in the next three or four years then who knows how many pieces to the puzzle start to decline, or leave via free agency. This was all about timing and the time was right.

elmgrovegnome

Reaction score
kearly":2g6xsz0e said:

This is the problem which one to take. Goff has shown the ability to handle the pass rush and make good decisions under duress. Wentz on the other hand has prototypical size and athleticism and has run an offense that is very similar to what the Rams have. Plus he has the bigger arm.

I prefer Wentz, but some reports say teams are cooled on him because there are too many unanswered questions about his game. Mayock thinks he has Manning/Brady potential. Who knows?

I am just happy they are getting a QB. You guys have short memories of when Clipboard Jesus was your QB or you were trading for Flynn. It really sucks to be in that situation. If you don't have a pretty good Qb then you chances of getting past round 1 of the playoffs are abysmal.

elmgrovegnome

Reaction score
Scottemojo":tx0k9t7c said:
Scottemojo":tx0k9t7c said:
And I bet they go Goff.

I am getting sick of players I like coming out of college going to the Rams. Which is why I am sure they take Goff. I am hoping they take Wentz instead.
But i love how much they spent for the pick.

Is it really that big of a deal? The worst of it will be over by round 1 of next year. They did most of the trade with this years picks which is what I wanted all along. The first rounder next year hurts a little bit but not that much. The Hawks traded a first for Percy Harvin and it didn't hurt them. Teams have first round busts all the time and they get past it.

The Skins made the playoffs twice since the RGIII trade. Teams survive. The Rams have had good success evaluating late round and UDFA types. They have depth everywhere but WR and LBer. They will be better for it if the QB they pick pans out.

In other words if they said the Rams were trading that same haul, two 1's, two 2', two 3's for Derek Carr or Jameis Winston then I would be fine with it, because a true franchise Qb is worth it. Sitting at 15 wont land them that this year and waiting another year or two is a big gamble.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Even if the Rams have made a decision on who they're taking #1, they're not going to say anything publicly. They don't want to put any kind of damper on the pomp & circumstance that is the 1st round of the NFL Draft.

elmgrovegnome

Reaction score
Largent80":23bjj3ql said:
WOW, the Rams gave up a LOT for this pick, they don't have a pick until the 3rd round now and no first next year.

Steep price and dumb.

I don't get why you think it is so dumb. Look at Schneiders last few drafts. They weren't all that great. He had some clunkers in there. There is no guarantee on any picks. The only guarantee is that if you don't have a good QB then you have to get one and a good QB is worth more than what the Rams traded.

Is there risk? Yes there is but I am sure Snead and Fisher have weighed the risk and decided it was worth it. Offensive rookie of the year and Defensive rookie of the year consecutively speaks well of their evaluation skills. I trust them to make the right pick.

elmgrovegnome

Reaction score
McGruff":k86chdsv said:
I am stunned by how stupid the Rams consistently are.

Not overpaying for Janoris Jenkins. Letting Long and Laurinitis walk as they enter their decline, getting rid of Cook, draft Aaron Donald, drafting Gurley, tagging Trumaine, drafting EJ Gaines in round 6, Hekker, Tavon.

How does all of that add up to being stupid?

I'll throw in that they beat Seattle twice last season. If the Rams are that stupid then what is Seattle?

elmgrovegnome

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":7absh4yt said:
PFT reporting the trade was made for Carson Wentz

Schefter is reporting it was made for Goff. Guess we have to wait and see on draft day.

Marvin49

Reaction score
elmgrovegnome":abux0w5j said:
McGruff":abux0w5j said:

Not overpaying for Janoris Jenkins. Letting Long and Laurinitis walk as they enter their decline, getting rid of Cook, draft Aaron Donald, drafting Gurley, tagging Trumaine, drafting EJ Gaines in round 6, Hekker, Tavon.

I'll throw in that they beat Seattle twice last season. If the Rams are that stupid then what is Seattle?

This won't end well.

Hawks46

Reaction score
elmgrovegnome":20ryiy25 said:
Scottemojo":20ryiy25 said:
Scottemojo":20ryiy25 said:
And I bet they go Goff.

I am getting sick of players I like coming out of college going to the Rams. Which is why I am sure they take Goff. I am hoping they take Wentz instead.

Is it really that big of a deal? The worst of it will be over by round 1 of next year. They did most of the trade with this years picks which is what I wanted all along. The first rounder next year hurts a little bit but not that much. The Hawks traded a first for Percy Harvin and it didn't hurt them. Teams have first round busts all the time and they get past it.

The Skins made the playoffs twice since the RGIII trade. Teams survive. The Rams have had good success evaluating late round and UDFA types. They have depth everywhere but WR and LBer. They will be better for it if the QB they pick pans out.

In other words if they said the Rams were trading that same haul, two 1's, two 2', two 3's for Derek Carr or Jameis Winston then I would be fine with it, because a true franchise Qb is worth it. Sitting at 15 wont land them that this year and waiting another year or two is a big gamble.

It's actually a pretty good point. Do I think they overspent for it ? Maybe. But the flip side to EGG's post is this: what have the Rams done with all of those extra picks from the RGIII trade ? They built a great defense and still miss the playoffs every year. You need a good QB. They have a decent OL, great RB, and good defense. They're exactly where we were when we drafted Russell. That should scare people. It makes our margin of error a lot less for this draft. We HAVE to get better in the interior of our OL, or that mismatch with them is going to bite us in the ass if they get a QB that's better than league average.

hawknation2016

Reaction score
Hawks46":18jdq008 said:
elmgrovegnome":18jdq008 said:
Scottemojo":18jdq008 said:
Scottemojo":18jdq008 said:
And I bet they go Goff.

It's actually a pretty good point. Do I think they overspent for it ? Maybe. But the flip side to EGG's post is this: what have the Rams done with all of those extra picks from the RGIII trade ? They built a great defense and still miss the playoffs every year. You need a good QB. They have a decent OL, great RB, and good defense. They're exactly where we were when we drafted Russell. That should scare people. It makes our margin of error a lot less for this draft. We HAVE to get better in the interior of our OL, or that mismatch with them is going to bite us in the ass if they get a QB that's better than league average.

The Rams have one of the most porous offensive lines in the league, which is why I predicted that Nick Foles would fail there.

hawknation2016

Reaction score
elmgrovegnome":36c7200j said:
McGruff":36c7200j said:

Perennial Super Bowl contenders who occasionally struggle against suck ass teams.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
JSeahawks":et0e7mws said:
Really hope it's goff. Doesn't have the alpha dog personality to be an nfl qb.

Doesn't it have to be Wentz?

Wentz is the only one of the two that has all the intangibles that'd force a team to trade all those picks like the Rams did. Goff might have the skills, but he's pretty plain vanilla in every other aspect of his makeup.

I can't stand when teams trade up and then act coy about who they're taking, when everyone and their grandma knows. Why? What leverage does it give the Rams to continue to keep everyone guessing?