Rams selected Michael Sam in exchange for HK exemption...

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
pmedic920":1r1pxism said:
http://www.seahawks.net/viewtopic.php?t=124421#p1852277

Totally different topic. Like literally a different topic.

This is why we need football people moderating.

ivotuk

Reaction score
pehawk":1d8n97wf said:
It was a good joke, Si.

Kroenke will be Goodell's lackey for awhile given the LA deal. This goes to show he's always been his lackey.

This is not true. Per John Clayton, the one time that Paul Allen felt it was worth going to a meeting and talking was the one to decide who gets to go where.

The comment was made that "Paul Allen rarely shows up at these, and rarely talks, this time he didn't shut up."

Why? Because he said the only team that made any sense moving was the Rams. Stan ,has the money to build his own stadium, they were already in LA once, and it made financial sense for the NFL. So the owners voted for the Rams to LA.

Apparently Spanos was mad, and Mark Davis was upset, saying "Everyone thinks I'm broke, but I have 500 million in the bank and own an NFL team."

So at Paul Allen's behest, and because it made sense, the Rams won the day.

I think Jeff Fisher is the kind of guy that would give a kid like Sam a chance, and since they were in Missouri, it would be a popular move for St Louis fans. They needed to fill seats somehow.

That Westbrook deal had me wondering though, that guy was a real talent and he went undrafted? I was upset we didn't sign him, but maybe he has character issues. I saw him as being at least worth a 5th, maybe 6th round pick.

RedAlice

Reaction score
pehawk":2gttcetb said:
pmedic920":2gttcetb said:
http://www.seahawks.net/viewtopic.php?t=124421#p1852277

Totally different topic. Like literally a different topic.

This is why we need football people moderating.

Actually Pe, I introduced this topic into that thread before you made this one, so pmedic is correct.

I posted Balzers actual tweets before he posted the article you quote here and then we discussed it in the thread referenced here.

I'm continuing my comments re Balzer in that other thread. :D

RedAlice

Reaction score
ivotuk":3qkxsjoc said:
pehawk":3qkxsjoc said:
It was a good joke, Si.

Kroenke will be Goodell's lackey for awhile given the LA deal. This goes to show he's always been his lackey.

This is not true. Per John Clayton, the one time that Paul Allen felt it was worth going to a meeting and talking was the one to decide who gets to go where.

The comment was made that "Paul Allen rarely shows up at these, and rarely talks, this time he didn't shut up."

Why? Because he said the only team that made any sense moving was the Rams. Stan ,has the money to build his own stadium, they were already in LA once, and it made financial sense for the NFL. So the owners voted for the Rams to LA.

Apparently Spanos was mad, and Mark Davis was upset, saying "Everyone thinks I'm broke, but I have 500 million in the bank and own an NFL team."

I think Jeff Fisher is the kind of guy that would give a kid like Sam a chance, and since they were in Missouri, it would be a popular move for St Louis fans. They needed to fill seats somehow.

That Westbrook deal had me wondering though, that guy was a real talent and he went undrafted? I was upset we didn't sign him, but maybe he has character issues. I saw him as being at least worth a 5th, maybe 6th round pick.

Ivotuk - you are correct here. Actually, there is even more to the story re Paul Allen. Kroenke worked with the two other owners who would ultimately matter: J Jones and P Allen. The new guard owners who have business sense and are looking to increase the financial viability of the NFL (obviously for purely football passionate reasons because they love us fans. :lol: :lol: ).

According to a Q&A in the LA Times w Kroenke, Paul Allen was involved for advice two years ago.

Q: What role did Seahawks owner Paul Allen play in Houston?

Kroenke: He goes to the big meetings. Paul told me he was coming. He called three times. He got interested in it. Paul knows L.A. He knows how important it is. Paul gets all the metrics, the Internet stuff, how you promote with the millennials. L.A. is hugely important for the league.

When I started working on this two years ago, I took Paul through the whole thing. I said, 'This is what I think we can do here. I'm not sure we can do it all, but here's what we're working on.' He was always interested. Then once we got to a certain point, he definitely got it. He got how good it was.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/nfl/la-sp ... story.html

ivotuk

Reaction score
RedAlice":apbssv9n said:
ivotuk":apbssv9n said:
pehawk":apbssv9n said:
It was a good joke, Si.

Ivotuk - you are correct here. Actually, there is even more to the story re Paul Allen. Kroenke worked with the two other owners who would ultimately matter: J Jones and P Allen. The new guard owners who have business sense and are looking to increase the financial viability of the NFL (obviously for purely football passionate reasons because they love us fans. :lol: :lol: ).

According to a Q&A in the LA Times w Kroenke, Paul Allen was involved for advice two years ago.

Q: What role did Seahawks owner Paul Allen play in Houston?

Kroenke: He goes to the big meetings. Paul told me he was coming. He called three times. He got interested in it. Paul knows L.A. He knows how important it is. Paul gets all the metrics, the Internet stuff, how you promote with the millennials. L.A. is hugely important for the league.

When I started working on this two years ago, I took Paul through the whole thing. I said, 'This is what I think we can do here. I'm not sure we can do it all, but here's what we're working on.' He was always interested. Then once we got to a certain point, he definitely got it. He got how good it was.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/nfl/la-sp ... story.html

Groz is so gullible. John Clayton was on there and Groz is getting all excited "But they corrupted the draft!" "This is wrong!"

Clayton was trying to tell him that the story was all bunk, but Groz wouldn't listen and kept going after the "evil NFL" angle.

Clayton said that the NFL called around and said that they would like to support Michael Sam and could someone select him. And before the draft, Michael Sam was making a deal, I believe with Oprah, to have his own reality show during training camp.

But Jeff Fisher told him that he shouldn't have the distraction, and should instead focus on trying to make the team, or the practice squad. Apparently Fisher had full intention of getting him to the practice squad, but on the Rams there was just too much talent for Sam to remain on the team. And after a poor combine, no one else was interested in Sam.

So after Jeff told Sam he shouldn't have a reality show during training camp, he had to tell the NFL,

"Look, I just told this guy he didn't need the distraction, and WE don't need the distraction of Hard Knocks with this kid trying to make the team. Don't make me out to be a hypocrite by forcing us to do Hard Knocks."

And the NFL agreed that it would be better for Michael Sam if he could just concentrate on football.

And of course some reporter pulled all the details together and spun it the way that would make for millions of site clicks, tons of followers on Twitter, and mentions on every podcast and TV show in the Universe.

And it worked. Groz fell for it hook line and sinker (likely because he was too lazy [or hungover] to actually read the facts about the case). And then he tried to outyell Clayton, but finally John got the facts across. The thing is, Groz isn't alone.

The sad thing is how this reflects on Michael Sam. "You only got picked because the NFL agreed to not make the team that drafted you take Hard Knocks."

Which was not true, and was completely unfair to Sam.

Because most people aren't going to follow the facts through to the truth. This fits the narrative of "NFL is Evil." and nobody wants to look any further than that, no matter who it hurts.

DJrmb

Reaction score
So does this at all give any credence that the NFL could possibly have favorite teams and actively work to hinder some teams they don't like as much? If they're willing to manipulate the draft I wouldn't put it past them to manipulate schedules to give certain teams the hardest possible road, a la a gluttony of 10am games, some back to back...

:stirthepot:

Ozzy

Reaction score
I do have a problem with it. It kept someone else from fulfilling their dream. If true it's garbage and actually works against what they're trying to accomplish.

RedAlice

Reaction score
How does Ivotuk state some facts, and then the 3 posts below him run with non-facts?

Latest posts