Random Thoughts™ on the Broncos preseason game

kearly

Reaction score
-Benson Mayowa more or less confirmed my fears tonight. He started, and didn't even face Ryan Clady, but merely Ryan Clady's backup. And he was almost completely shut down against Denver's 1st team offense. I noticed him for only one positive play of note in that span, and that positive play was against the run. When the scrubs were put in he immediately looked great again and got a sack almost immediately. There are still two preseason games left, but Mayowa definitely looks like a guy with sub-fringe tools that might not have what it takes to produce against real starting lineman. Not saying I'm giving up on him, but tonight was a troubling sign, IMO.

-Seattle's starting pass rush had a very tough time, but to Denver's credit I think their OL is pretty darn good, particularly their interior group.

-Give Manning 4 seconds and he will murder an elite defense. That hasn't changed. Given how our pass rush is still growing up, there are a lot of AFC teams I'd rather face in the next Superbowl. Like, 15 of them.

-Need to study the DVR to know for sure, but the run blocking didn't seem all that great tonight, or at least it seemed like a step down from the Chargers game.

-Red Bryant played a ton of DT, and didn't look terrible by any means when I watched him.

-Apparently Refs are paid by the penalty now. There were 21 accepted penalties (12 on Seattle), but that number doesn't include flags that were thrown and later picked up, penalties that were declined, or offsetting penalties. You add all those up, there were probably 30-35 total penalty stoppages in this game. By the 4th quarter even the broadcast crew started to lose their patience. The refs seemed to make it a point to discuss every single penalty, and some of their decisions (including replays) seemed dubious. It reminded me a lot of the replacement official period last season.

-Derek Wolfe was my favorite DT from the 2012 draft. He had a very strong rookie season (6 sacks as a DE/DT) last year. It sucks seeing players taken off the field in an ambulance, but it's way worse when it's a player you really like. Fortunately, he's okay. I'm sure Mike Rob would have felt completely terrible had it been a career ending neck injury from his hit. Wolfe's status is good news all around.

-UDFA rookie DT Michael Brooks (#70) had another very nice game. Even the broadcast crew is starting to notice him. It might not be a bad idea to give him a few reps with the starting unit, just to see how well he does against real NFL players.

-Maxwell took a tiny step back tonight (though I loved his block on Kearse's KR TD), while seemingly every other fringe DB made an impact play. Thurmond had a critical PD to end a Broncos' drive, Shead had an interception in the end zone, Lane had a very nice tackle on kick coverage, and Blackmon swatted away a 3rd down pass in the endzone.

-Chancellor and Browner were stupid good in this game. Chancellor had an unbelievable 11 total tackles in less than 2 full quarters of play. And Browner was a big play machine all night. Even when he got picked on for receptions, he had reasonably good coverage and only gave up the reception because Peyton Manning with 4 seconds to throw is the definition of unstoppable.

-Bobby Wagner had a great night. We know he's awesome in coverage, but tonight he was killing it against the run too. Exciting progress. Also, he had seven tackles in half a game against an elite offense.

-Stephen Williams had two terrific catches back to back, though he didn't actually score on the second one. Seattle caught a tiny break there. Still, it was hilarious watching him flop into the endzone. I wish he played more, but if nothing else there is obvious chemistry between Williams and Tjack. We need to start seeing Williams more with Wilson now.

-John Lotulelei showed some improvement tonight. No negative plays that I noticed. He still hits hard.

-Not to sound like I am overhyping the guy, but watching Allen Bradford make impact tackle after impact tackle this preseason, I am starting to be reminded of 2011 Kam Chancellor. That guy just came out of nowhere and was solid as a rock that season. He was the one defender you could count on the most that year. At the time, he was briefly my favorite Seahawk. Whenever you noticed Chancellor, you notice him for good reasons. That's kind of how Bradford is starting to feel for me. A few times a game some dude makes a stellar play and it's #52 getting up from the tackle. I'm really liking Bradford's outlook right now.

-Wes Welker made Antoine Winfield look pretty old on that TD. In fairness, Wes Welker is an elite WR who makes pro-bowl corners look bad on a regular basis. What a fantastic addition for Denver. What a blow to the Patriots.

-Ronnie Hillman had a couple of decent cuts/moves for extra yardage, but for the most part he looked like crap. He also had at least two fumbles, including the Browner one. Hillman looked crappy, but Montee Ball looks legit. I really respect the Broncos btw for committing to the run early even though Seattle couldn't stop Manning. It kept our defense on their heels and had this been a real game, we'd be very lucky to keep them under 30 points the way that their balanced offense was humming.

-We still badly depend on Chris Clemons, IMO. Even with Hill and Bennett out there, our defense struggled to pressure Manning. Manning is one of the best in the business at punishing the blitz too, so if we face them in the Super Bowl, that could be a major dilemma. We still haven't seen Avril or Irvin 2.0, but neither are very likely to give us what Clemons did last season.

-Jermaine Kearse didn't even play with the scrubs in the 2nd half, as far as I could tell. That's a pretty strong indicator that the team not only views him as a roster lock, but possibly even as a fringe starter. As much as I don't want to lose Golden Tate after this year, Kearse is a somewhat similar player and could make Tate expendable in the FO's eyes. Also, I had no idea that Kearse was that fast on his KR TD. That might be the first KR I've ever seen Kearse attempt, even at UW, and he took it to the house. Loved the stiff arm on the kicker too. He also had a TD from Wilson in the 1st quarter.

-As many of you know, I was a huge fan of RW before the 2012 draft and kind of flipped out when we got him. I thought he was perfect, but in an effort to be objective, I went back to his Wisconsin tape to see if I could find any meaningful flaws in his game (other than the occasional height factor). I did find one problem- just one. He had a tendency to overthrow his intermediate and deep passes. Maybe 20-30% of them. That tendency carried over into the preseason and the early portion of the regular season, but by the Detroit game, it seemed to be behind him. We all know how the rest of the story goes, his numbers took off around that same time. It was one of the most exciting things about his 2012 development.

-But tonight, the overthrows came back with a vengeance. It must have been five passes out of six where he overthrew at one point. Disturbing. And yet, you look at the box score after the game and it says that Wilson had a passer rating of 141.3. The "smart" stats (YPA, ANY/A) loved him just as much. How incredible is this guy that he can have an off night (by RW standards) against an elite defense and still put up numbers like that?

-I really hope we keep Spencer Ware somehow. Fun player. If we lose him to someone else, I think there is a decent chance he'll surface as a 1000 yard rusher at some point. He looks even more like Marshawn Lynch now than he did at LSU. Clone Lynch but take away the "wiggle" (drunken master) aspect, and that's Ware.

-Coleman had a tough night, but also had a positive play or two. I now know this, I don't want Coleman as a pure RB.

-Schofield had some nice plays. Tonight definitely helped his roster status.

-Robert Turbin had a very nice game. I'd love to see a game with Michael, Turbin and Ware splitting carries for four quarters.

-Russell Wilson's gaudy 141.3 passer rating was once again the second highest on the team. Tjack finished tonight with a 141.4 rating. Jackson is averaging almost 14 yards per pass attempt this preseason so far. These might be the best games Jackson has ever played. For the preseason, he's averaging 13.81 yards per attempt, and 1 TD per 5.3 pass attempts. A lot of that is the Stephen Williams connection, and it's not sustainable, but man, Tjack has been something.

-40 to 10. Total fluke score, but still, heck yeah. Seattle in the preseason during the Russell Wilson era: 6-0, 193 points for, 64 points against.

-My silly dream of "23-0" lives another week.

I'll post a DVR review which will go into much more detail with more observational accuracy some time in the next few days.

TestMo1337

Reaction score
Good read. Thanks for this stuff as always. Gives me something to think about when I rewatch the game.

Mick063

Reaction score
Wilson's QB rating was 141.

We are spoiled. He isn't going to be perfect every time out. He has a history of throwing high, especially in the first half.

At crunch time, he has historically settled down and becomes Joe Montana reincarnate.

He will learn to control his adrenaline over time. Like last season, he will be nails down the home stretch of the regular season. Further, he simply doesn't get picked off or take bad sacks.

kf3339

Reaction score
Fun read Kearly, I do hope you make a thread about the OL and DL players with individual comparisons between the Charger game and this one. I really want to see how you see their improvement, or lack of improvement to this point.

As for the above write-up, I do think that Kearse and Williams have taken the 4th and 5th WR spots for the regular season. The only question now is do we keep a 6th WR (Harper), or not.

I also have a pretty good feeling that Ware makes the team and we keep a total of 5 RB/FB's for the season. This may be at the expense of a 6th WR or extra OL player.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
kf3339":12nvgqen said:
As for the above write-up, I do think that Kearse and Williams have taken the 4th and 5th WR spots for the regular season. The only question now is do we keep a 6th WR (Harper), or not.

I agree. As things currently stand, I think we'll see Seattle go with 5 WRs (which becomes 6 when Percy returns). There is a massive dropoff from Kearse-Williams to the rest of the group. Harper and Ashford are the next best in line, and both are looking reasonably safe for the practice squad right now.

kf3339

Reaction score
kearly":2vavhrhy said:
kf3339":2vavhrhy said:

I agree. As things currently stand, I think we'll see Seattle go with 5 WRs (which becomes 6 when Percy returns). There is a massive dropoff from Kearse-Williams to the rest of the group. Harper and Ashford are the next best in line, and both are looking reasonably safe for the practice squad right now.

Yeah, I kind of think that 6th WR spot goes to adding a 5th RB/FB until Harvin is activated. Then it's anyone's guess who will have to give up a spot for him.

hgwellz12

Reaction score
In a lofty place tanglin' with Satan over history.
always a pleasure.

regarding Chops KO Return for 6:

Kearse last returned kicks at Lakes High School less than an hour south of Seattle. He was approached this week about giving it a shot, with the return game one of Seattle's main question marks with Harvin out.

"They came to me and asked if I could return and I wasn't going to say no," Kearse said. "I got some reps during the week and on Friday coach Carroll told me I was going to be able to get the first one. It was definitely a blessing.
"

Gotta love the kid! I wasn't as supportive of him last year but this year regardless of the lasik, you can just tell that something, somewhere, just 'clicked' in his head and I absolutely LOVE it! I really hope it carries over into the reg

Perfundle

Reaction score
kearly":2cptcmxc said:
And yet, you look at the box score after the game and it says that Wilson had a passer rating of 141.3. The "smart" stats (YPA, ANY/A) loved him just as much. How incredible is this guy that he can have an off night (by RW standards) against an elite defense and still put up numbers like that?
One reason for this is that I think at least two of those overthrows were cancelled by penalties, and that's not counting the offsides free play interception. But yes, as someone who followed him here from Wisconsin, he was often throwing like he was back with the Badgers.

And speaking of former Badgers, despite Ball's nice YPC, he apparently had quite a few struggles on pass protection, which I'd imagine Denver values far more than running ability. He was the one responsible for Manning getting hit hard, and he made mistakes elsewhere as well.

Largent80

Reaction score
Just got back from an awesome gig my band played outdoors in Lake Elsinore, and I DVR'd the game, even more anxious to sit back in the lazy boy with a beer and pizza tomorrow to view it after reading here.

MLOhawks

Reaction score
Perfundle":e3k7738v said:
kearly":e3k7738v said:
And yet, you look at the box score after the game and it says that Wilson had a passer rating of 141.3. The "smart" stats (YPA, ANY/A) loved him just as much. How incredible is this guy that he can have an off night (by RW standards) against an elite defense and still put up numbers like that?
One reason for this is that I think at least two of those overthrows were cancelled by penalties, and that's not counting the offsides free play interception. But yes, as someone who followed him here from Wisconsin, he was often throwing like he was back with the Badgers.

And speaking of former Badgers, despite Ball's nice YPC, he apparently had quite a few struggles on pass protection, which I'd imagine Denver values far more than running ability. He was the one responsible for Manning getting hit hard, and he made mistakes elsewhere as well.

Don't forget he sat on his hands for a long time between series, maybe he just got 'cold' and needed more time to warm up again after that long ass break.

TwilightError

Reaction score
Watching Mayowa made me think 'I wonder what Kearly says about this' and he said the exact things I thought :) IMO Turbin goes down too lightly. Michael is before him in my depth chart. He is far from Lynchs yards after contact numbers.

oasis

Reaction score
Just spitballing, but is it possible that his overthrows since college were a product of needing to get better throwing angles over mid-field coverage?
I'm just thinking from a geometric standpoint: If you are throwing from a lower angle (even with long arms accounted for) and you need to throw from point A to B over defenders' heads, then I'd imagine you have two options.
Option A: High arc. Pop a floater into the air that will be out of reach of the defender before landing in a high arc to the receiver
Option B: Low arc. Out of both players' vicinities but closer to receiver -- thus opening that chance for an acrobatic catch. Also, thus increasing the chance of an "overthrow."

Just thinking out loud here.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Great stuff again kearly. Agree with everything you said, really hope that Russell gets his overthrow tendency under better control in time for the regular season.

falcongoggles

Reaction score
I loved the final score, but I'm not entirely convinced that Seattle would win the Superbowl against this team. Obviously it's hard to tell since we were both playing vanilla schemes and it seemed like everything was breaking Seattle's way (opposite of Chicago game last year). Away or neutral site, four quarters, same pass rush issues. I think it would be a dogfight. 10 games played, I say 6-4 Seattle. You just can't hold Peyton down for 4 quarters without a pass rush

bestfightstory

Reaction score
I wonder how Peyton and his no huddle would fare against a Seahawks Bandit with 7 or 8 DBs on the field...

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
Good read, however, I don't agree that Tate is as expendable as you think, his YAC has become really impressive since last year and although Kearse has played well, let me see his full season first.

Tate has proven he's a YAC guy, those aren't all too common, I'd rather keep him.

Uffda

Reaction score
Can't really disagree with much of anything in your post.

Would be interesting to see Stephen Williams earlier on, in the games.

Just to see if it's good football or decent against 3rd stringers.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
falcongoggles":14li5lnv said:
I loved the final score, but I'm not entirely convinced that Seattle would win the Superbowl against this team. Obviously it's hard to tell since we were both playing vanilla schemes and it seemed like everything was breaking Seattle's way (opposite of Chicago game last year). Away or neutral site, four quarters, same pass rush issues. I think it would be a dogfight. 10 games played, I say 6-4 Seattle. You just can't hold Peyton down for 4 quarters without a pass rush

We have to have gotten at least a tad better at pass rush if nothing else with all the additions.

Aaron Rodgers, Matt Ryans, Peyton Mannings, Tom Bradys, move with ease without decent pressure. That being said we can still win those type of games because of how our defense and special teams plays, but still amore consistent rush would be nice.

Latest posts