Random Thoughts™ on the Broncos preseason game

Basis4day

Reaction score
Thunderhawk":1qwjf5ja said:
Hasselbeck":1qwjf5ja said:
Thunderhawk":1qwjf5ja said:
#7) Does Schneider get any heat for this draft? The UDFAs have arguably outperformed any of the picks outside of Michael. Hill has been ok. Willson is still a work in progress. Chris Harper and Jesse Williams won't make the team and neither might make the practice squad. Tharold Simon, injured - doubtful to make the cut. Seymour, Powell, and Smith fringe practice squad guys. The Harvin deal still looks questionable. We have high expectations from JS, and clearly it is harder for the later round guys to make the roster now, but I still count a lot of misses this year.

Lolwut.

This take couldn't be more wrong.
Care to clarify or is it more important to be glib?

OBVIOUSLY it takes time for picks to develop. OBVIOUSLY you are not going to hit on every selection. OBVIOUSLY it is hard to make an already deep team. Nevertheless:

+ Jesse Williams was supposed to anchor against the run. Williams couldn't anchor a zodiac in low tide. Miss.
+ Chris Harper was supposed to add a physical dimension to the receiving corps instead he's added :1: Miss.
+ Willson, Hill, and Michael are keepers. Simon TBD. Ware Battling with UDFA Coleman. Bowie battling with other UDFAs. True those guys are later round selections but still that's 3 out of 11 definites. Not bad. Just used to Schneider hitting a better %.
+ Harvin / contract / compensation were initially questionable and still are.

Hell, I love where this team is. It's a flipping juggernaut thanks to Carroll and JS. Just think this is a relatively weak class thus far.

I agree Thunderhawk. What a weak class thus far. None of these guys seem to have been able to get on the field during a regular season game. Not saying they're all busts, time will tell. :sarcasm_off:

stack600

Reaction score
Not to change the subject. But did Manning throw in Sherms direction at all last night. I'll have to rewatch the game but I cannot remember, Manning going at Sherm even once?

DavidSeven

Reaction score
stack600":1wr9iqto said:
Not to change the subject. But did Manning throw in Sherms direction at all last night. I'll have to rewatch the game but I cannot remember, Manning going at Sherm even once?

Pretty sure Manning had at least a couple completions on him. All good coverage. Manning just beat him with great throws.

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
stack600":38tklg0h said:
Yes... a pretty long completion to Damaryius Thomas.

Largent80

Reaction score
The Hawks did not have many holes and the draft was to get depth at positions. It will be hard to make this team be it draft choice or F.A.

chris98251

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":3q6m98da said:
chris98251":3q6m98da said:
We don't appreciate our players enough here many times and I think Kearse can have a very nice career in the NFL going forward, even if many of our own fans would rather see him cast adrift because he wasn't a draft pick much like those who want to push Baldwin out the door as well.

I don't know anyone who's ever wanted Baldwin pushed out the door.

Then you have not been reading all the threads, several posters have said unload Baldwin while we can, he didn't show up a lot last season, he isn't big enough been going on most of the off season at one point or another since we got Harvin.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
I see Mayowa on the practice squad. He reminds me more and more of nick reed. I don't think he has a real high ceiling due to his size.. He is a fun player to watch.

Bennett had a nice game. He played most of the game outside but I saw a few plays he was inside. Good pressure and a nice spin move.

Turbin really needs to watch some video of roger Craig an get those knees up.

Ware reminds me of Ricky waters when he was here. A big guy with some good moves. Good speed but not like Michael , the that guy will be great IMO .

Largent80

Reaction score
Lotu needs to find a place. He is like a friggin missle. I love that guy and he has better hair than Polomalu.

truehawksfan

Reaction score
Funny....I'm watching the rebroadcast and just saw Manning complete a 22 yd completion to Thomas -- in front of Sherm, but that pass shouldn't been completed because Mebane was clearly held on that plsy. Mebane would have crushed Manning.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":1u69i1bg said:
KCHawkGirl":1u69i1bg said:
It's ridiculous and should be changed. That guy was calling things that would never get called and basically ruined any chance for any normal flow to the game.
Kind of like in *XL?
No, that was on purpose this was just lets put a raw beginner in because preseason doesn't matter. Except it does and when you butcher a game like that it renders it to meaninglessness for evaluation at the least.

We won 40-10 but in no way did we play like it and neither us or Denver had a fair chance to actually show differently.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
kearly":ebjzss7u said:
TeamoftheCentury":ebjzss7u said:
"-Seattle's starting pass rush had a very tough time, but to Denver's credit I think their OL is pretty darn good, particularly their interior group."

Well, they've gone through a couple of guys and are down to their 3rd plan at Center, I believe, after injuries. I think that line got away with holding quite a bit all night. There were a couple of overly obvious ones... Mebane in the backfield in the open field - Curt Menafee and Brock Huard even commented after the play. Bennett was held quite a bit, too. One of those was mentioned. So, I would say they're pretty good alright... at cheating and somehow getting away with it. Not saying our pass rush has exactly arrived, but just that I have a hard time giving much credit to the Denver OL.

I think any apparent lack of pass rush was also due, in part, to how quickly Manning makes his reads and releases the ball. He's masterful. I'll give credit there.

I'm midway through 2nd quarter right now on DVR. I think I have Denver down for one hold that wasn't called, for the most part they won with legit blocking. On the other hand, Seattle generated more pressure than I thought. This was really just a case of Manning making his line look like a collection of all-pros.

Huard mentioned at least a couple and a commentator isn't going to squawk on TV all night about that anyway. It more effectively points to something going on like that when it's said only in a couple of more obvious instances to point out to the viewing public and with the tone both Huard and Menafee used to give credence to it. That tone and their comments surrounding those instances most definitely but respectfully hinted at the same thing I and probably many other fans noticed... that not only were the officials not calling the more blatant holds, but there were more questionable instances as well and it was obvious the officials were allowing a lot there - made plainly obvious enough for them to be able to appropriately comment on air.

So, thanks, but not necessary for you to dissect valid hyperbole with subjective DVR "analysis". In the grand scheme of how many plays are in a football game, even 3 key no calls can constitute "quite a bit." I saw several more than that just as it was eluded to at points throughout the game. In the very least - borderline no calls. Still, the point made was to say that Manning indeed is great, but not really their O-line as was suggested. That's all. As the saying goes, "Holding could be called nearly every play." Well, that there speaks to just what lines are trying to do and get away with. If not for some of those cheating tactics they were able to get away with, perhaps the talk about the Hawks pass rush would've been higher praise today if not for some of those no calls.

Go Hawks.

General Manager

Reaction score
Based on what you wrote one would think that we lost 40 to 10. I didn't agree with some of what you wrote kind of looks like nitpicking to me. The biggest problem I saw was we are still giving up to many completions over the middle, and were not getting enough pressure and that was everyone not just Benson . Even so we only gave up ten points . Russell played fine it wasn't his best day but far from his worst.

Hawks46

Reaction score
I only watched the 1st half, but a couple things:

-agree with you on Mayowa. So, question Kearly: is this a guy who's lack of elite measurables hurts him at the next level, or does he just need to get a bit more refined? Are you thinking this is a guy that can be stashed on the PS and get some needed experience, then maybe takes the step next year?

-I like Ware. He looks tough, and quicker than I thought he looked on LSU tape. I see us finding a way to keep him around.

-Turbin is ahead of Michael and Ware for a reason. He knows the offense better, and is better in pass protection. He seemed to be better after contact last season; maybe returning from injury and it being preseason is keeping him from 5th gear. Keep in mind, he hasn't seen much of practice and TC, so he's probably a bit rusty

-I'm glad Thurmond bounced back, but the biggest surprise to me was his physical hit on a KR. Thurmond doesn't seem really physical to me, and that showed on a Thomas pass to the inside where Thurmond bounced off the tackle and Thomas broke upfield until he ran into Browner

-I thought Browner was great this game; if you give Manning enough time, he'll tear up anyone. I love his effort and the fact that he literally never gives up on play until it's all the way over.

-I thought the same exact thing on Welker's TD. I know it's one play, but it actually made me have a bit of dread about Winfield's impact at the slot this year.

-Our OL isn't very good up the middle. This is going to be an issue for us all year. Sweezy and McQuistan are fringe starting talents this year; they're good, but not physical enough at the point of attack.

- I wasn't happy with the run defense. Again. Our OL and DL's will be our achilles heel this year for sure. SF has no talent on the outside...they're going to have to run, and teams know it. I don't think we can stop them, even knowing what's coming.

-Denver is a damned good team. I thought we played them really well.

-Wow we have some good depth. This bodes well for any injuries. The NFL season is a marathon, not a sprint and this equips us to deal with it better than most teams.

Tical21

Reaction score
Winfield didn't have flat responsibility on the Welker TD. Nobody had it. It was good playcalling and execution by the Broncos and Manning. In that particular coverage, nobody is responsible for the flat. Manning knew it and took advantage right away. Winfield did his job.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I love the Thurmond > Winfield comments based on a completion between arguably the best QB of his generation to arguably the best slot receiver of his generation. This is a week after Thurmond was abused on multiple occassions by Philip Rivers.

Not saying either player has a clear advantage over the other, but let's let the coaches decide who's flashed more over the entire course of TC and pre-season. I don't think the evidence on the field has been conclusive either way.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Tical21":2dhocj12 said:
Winfield didn't have flat responsibility on the Welker TD. Nobody had it. It was good playcalling and execution by the Broncos and Manning. In that particular coverage, nobody is responsible for the flat. Manning knew it and took advantage right away. Winfield did his job.

Agreed. Give the Broncos credit for just running a great play. Not every good play by the opponent is a sign of weakness on our team. It just means they got us on that play.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Tical21":2eqz9gjs said:
Good observation, besides the real frustration on Peyton's face is nearly something to tell your grandchildren and tells the actual story in spades.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Largent80":29vzjyqa said:
Watching the game now. Kearse has been making plays. So what?.....It is the 2nd practice game.

Tate is making the star progress that a 2nd round WR should make after 3 full years.

Kearse has done nothing in the NFL and regardless of a contract year, the only thing between the Hawks and Tate re-upping is a Super Bowl.

If we win it this year, Tate then may not be kept. Other than that, he is my target to retain at this point.

Whoa... don't get upset at Kearse because he's just pretty much doing his job. Kease has always been a great talent, just those drops, made him an inconsistent one.

Also, I would like to add that Kearse has done something last year than first rounder, A.J. Jenkin of the SFO 49ers. Kearse at least had started a game and had 3 catches for 31 yards as a UDFA WR. The fact that Kearse is showing some amazing potential and could have the skill to be an adequate kick returner is all positive things this team.

Also, on Wilson's behalf I would like to point out that he did gain about 10 pounds in his legs per Wilson himself, giving him a stronger anchor. Could it be that he under estimate his own power? Maybe a little but a lot of it is that Rice and Miller have been out and those are his go-to-guys for the "too tall" throws that and possibly he's trying not to throw any interceptions.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Or maybe the fact they are retooling the offense for Harvin's absence on the fly? Just maybe? Already with Unger in Wilson was standing clear no scrambling for his life like San Diego, now imagine it when he has ALL his toys.

GoHawks1212

Reaction score
How entitled have we become as fans that we are already calling people "misses" after 2 preseason games?

Mayowa = Nick Reed? C'mon man! Benson Mayowa has produced more at this point in his NFL career than Bruce Irvin did at this point last year, but people defended Bruce's lack of production. "He's raw", "Give him some time".

The criticism of Mayowa is harsh, and quite frankly, is only perpetuated by our lofty and probably unrealistic expectations of this kid in the first place.