Random Thoughts™ on the Broncos preseason game

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Thunderhawk":rcrktcg7 said:
#7) Does Schneider get any heat for this draft? The UDFAs have arguably outperformed any of the picks outside of Michael. Hill has been ok. Willson is still a work in progress. Chris Harper and Jesse Williams won't make the team and neither might make the practice squad. Tharold Simon, injured - doubtful to make the cut. Seymour, Powell, and Smith fringe practice squad guys. The Harvin deal still looks questionable. We have high expectations from JS, and clearly it is harder for the later round guys to make the roster now, but I still count a lot of misses this year.

Lolwut.

This take couldn't be more wrong.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
pocketprotector":14qjb22r said:
The nit picking of a few of Wilson's throws seems to be a reflection of some vastly over inflated expectations.

To me the timing just looked off. As it does quite often in preseason.

I think against the Packers next week we will see the starters look a lot sharper (to me they had flashes of brilliance but a lot of sloppy moments too between penalties, missed throws, etc.) Last nights game was bizarre as well because the starting offense goes up 10-0 and then the next time they touch the ball it's 24-7. That's another thing that will affect timing.

Basically they showed they are supremely talented and they showed it's still mid-August.

chris98251

Reaction score
Those wondering about Kearse and showing it for a full year, he always has had a knack of getting open and has had a ability to get up and go after balls, it was the drops of what many times seemed easier catches that baffled everyone since he seemed to be able to make the hard ones. Whether it is the Lasik or confidence or both he has shown up and has Wilsons confidence, that and he makes plays are the most important aspect of his game.

He has been showcased this pre season, based on injuries and what we have seen on some other teams he could start in many places. Wonder if San Francisco could use a UDFA that is cheap to compete with that 1st rounder Jenkins. We don't appreciate our players enough here many times and I think Kearse can have a very nice career in the NFL going forward, even if many of our own fans would rather see him cast adrift because he wasn't a draft pick much like those who want to push Baldwin out the door as well.

Thunderhawk

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":iu2btq7c said:
Thunderhawk":iu2btq7c said:
#7) Does Schneider get any heat for this draft? The UDFAs have arguably outperformed any of the picks outside of Michael. Hill has been ok. Willson is still a work in progress. Chris Harper and Jesse Williams won't make the team and neither might make the practice squad. Tharold Simon, injured - doubtful to make the cut. Seymour, Powell, and Smith fringe practice squad guys. The Harvin deal still looks questionable. We have high expectations from JS, and clearly it is harder for the later round guys to make the roster now, but I still count a lot of misses this year.

Lolwut.

Care to clarify or is it more important to be glib?

OBVIOUSLY it takes time for picks to develop. OBVIOUSLY you are not going to hit on every selection. OBVIOUSLY it is hard to make an already deep team. Nevertheless:

+ Jesse Williams was supposed to anchor against the run. Williams couldn't anchor a zodiac in low tide. Miss.
+ Chris Harper was supposed to add a physical dimension to the receiving corps instead he's added :1: Miss.
+ Willson, Hill, and Michael are keepers. Simon TBD. Ware Battling with UDFA Coleman. Bowie battling with other UDFAs. True those guys are later round selections but still that's 3 out of 11 definites. Not bad. Just used to Schneider hitting a better %.
+ Harvin / contract / compensation were initially questionable and still are.

Hell, I love where this team is. It's a flipping juggernaut thanks to Carroll and JS. Just think this is a relatively weak class thus far.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
Thunderhawk":2gxdq5m0 said:
Hasselbeck":2gxdq5m0 said:
Thunderhawk":2gxdq5m0 said:

Lolwut.

OBVIOUSLY it takes time for picks to develop. OBVIOUSLY you are not going to hit on every selection. OBVIOUSLY it is hard to make an already deep team. Nevertheless:

+ Jesse Williams was supposed to anchor against the run. Williams couldn't anchor a zodiac in low tide. Miss.
+ Chris Harper was supposed to add a physical dimension to the receiving corps instead he's added :1: Miss.
+ Willson, Hill, and Michael are keepers. Simon TBD. Ware Battling with UDFA Coleman. Bowie battling with other UDFAs. True those guys are later round selections but still that's 3 out of 11 definites. Not bad. Just used to Schneider hitting a better %.

Hell, I love where this team is. It's a flipping juggernaut thanks to Carroll and JS. Just think this is a relatively weak class thus far.

But they got drafted four months ago. You can't even give him a grade yet. What people are being glib about is that you are grading a draft class four months after it was drafted and before they have played a single regular-season game.

Come back in three years and we can talk grades.

chris98251

Reaction score
Thunderhawk":vj8su9m1 said:
Hasselbeck":vj8su9m1 said:
Thunderhawk":vj8su9m1 said:

Lolwut.

When you are young and have dominant players draft picks taking jobs becomes a much more difficult job, Pete and John have had the ability to take a guy in a system that wasn't using his attributes and bring him in here for a role and had great success. We will see this kind of draft going forward as long as our front office is here now. Don't expect 8 guys to make the roster and start anymore in the forseeable future. the UDFA are a lot of guys in places that didn't get to showcase what they could do be it a WR in a running offense or a RB on a team that had a awful line etc.

kf3339

Reaction score
^

I personally don't think it's appropriate to gauge a draft class for at least 2-3 years. So to try and make judgements on a class and/or certain players after only 2 preseason games is just silly to me. Give these guys a chance to learn and grow into their jobs.

As for JS and PC, I think maybe some have been spoiled by their success, and don't remember the other side of the fence. Remember Ruskell?

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
pehawk":1f6o8lmi said:
BobcatHawk":1f6o8lmi said:
kearly":1f6o8lmi said:
-Apparently Refs are paid by the penalty now. There were 21 accepted penalties (12 on Seattle), but that number doesn't include flags that were thrown and later picked up, penalties that were declined, or offsetting penalties. You add all those up, there were probably 30-35 total penalty stoppages in this game. By the 4th quarter even the broadcast crew started to lose their patience. The refs seemed to make it a point to discuss every single penalty, and some of their decisions (including replays) seemed dubious. It reminded me a lot of the replacement official period last season.

I think the refs were short a guy. The umpire seemed to be missing as the SJ was wearing the white hat; this may be the reason for the extensive penalties and indecision.

They weren't short a guy, the SJ was auditioning for a referee job. Yes, they interview candidates like that, in preseason. We all suffer.
This. It's ridiculous and should be changed. That guy was calling things that would never get called and basically ruined any chance for any normal flow to the game.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
chris98251":1za61dxs said:
We don't appreciate our players enough here many times and I think Kearse can have a very nice career in the NFL going forward, even if many of our own fans would rather see him cast adrift because he wasn't a draft pick much like those who want to push Baldwin out the door as well.

I don't know anyone who's ever wanted Baldwin pushed out the door.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
KCHawkGirl":bxwvsrl0 said:
It's ridiculous and should be changed. That guy was calling things that would never get called and basically ruined any chance for any normal flow to the game.
Kind of like in *XL?

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
Thunderhawk":3rodca6g said:
#1) Brock Huard is a fantastic color commentator. His ability to dissect the nuances of a play and explain them succinctly is Mayock-like. Better than Mayock, IMO. He's also pretty funny sometimes. He just needs to add some Madden / Mayock onomatopoeia to his repertoire to appeal to the rustics. So many terrible, terrible broadcast crews in the NFL. I hope Brock gets a chance to replace a guy like Brian Billick...

Completely agree.

#3) Evidently Warren Moon told Wilson to trust his first read and get the ball out faster. I think that's good advice. Wilson's ability to extend plays is uncanny but sometimes a quick completion sans 'keystone-kops' audition, (like the ball he threw early to McGrath) can be more effective.

I feel the same. Wilson is probably the best QB in the NFL at extending plays, but he's far from the best at turning those extended plays into completions.

#4) Jesse Williams spends a lot of time on the ground or pushed out of the play.

Haven't done DVR yet but :(

#6) Wouldn't bother me if Coleman beat out Ware. Both are marginal talents.

I'd be fine with losing either of them, although I think Ware really is a 2nd tier starting RB for some team. I'm starting to see him more and more as a poor man's Marshawn Lynch.

If Michael can't stay healthy, can't keep his fumbles under control, and ends up losing out to Turbin for the future starting RB job, then that's a pretty big blow to this draft. But if he becomes the 1500 yard rusher he's capable of being, then pretty much saves the draft the way Sherman did in 2011.

I do think Hill is looking like an above average 3rd rounder so far. The rest is mostly crap, though I really liked Simon at LSU and hope to get to see him in games at some point. Bowie is looking like a steal in the 7th round. Powell and (UDFA) Mayowa are unlikely to pan out but remain interesting. I think Ware looks pretty good, I just don't see how we'd use him. I think the team is making a mistake not playing him at FB- I've seen him deliver some monster hits. UDFA's are part of the draft process, and we've had some really nice UDFA additions (Bailey, Brooks).

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
I agree with most of those points, but from the nosebleeds, Turbin looked pretty bad. Didn't he fail on a 3rd and 1 and a 4th and 1? He had a couple nice runs early but everything after that was totally unimpressive. But he's just getting back so hopefully he will pick up his game.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":uv60iyk0 said:
I agree with most of those points, but from the nosebleeds, Turbin looked pretty bad. Didn't he fail on a 3rd and 1 and a 4th and 1? He had a couple nice runs early but everything after that was totally unimpressive. But he's just getting back so hopefully he will pick up his game.

He had nowhere to run. The only play I didn't like that Turbin had was where he got taken down on a shoestring tackle on a guy that was being blocked by McQuistan. Had he broken that tackle, he might have gone all the way. He was seriously pissed at himself. That's the one aspect that keeps me from really loving the idea of Turbin as a starting RB, his resilience is surprisingly below average despite his size and speed.

CANHawk

Reaction score
i'm getting serious Nick Reed / Ricky Foley (Ricky Reed?) vibes from Mayowa. it'd be hella cool if he does pan out, and i'll look forward to eating those words if i'm wrong, but I don't think he's going to be any kind of difference maker once the games start counting...

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
kearly":2dkum4z5 said:
Thunderhawk":2dkum4z5 said:
#1) Brock Huard is a fantastic color commentator. His ability to dissect the nuances of a play and explain them succinctly is Mayock-like. Better than Mayock, IMO. He's also pretty funny sometimes. He just needs to add some Madden / Mayock onomatopoeia to his repertoire to appeal to the rustics. So many terrible, terrible broadcast crews in the NFL. I hope Brock gets a chance to replace a guy like Brian Billick...

Completely agree.

Same here. I've seen a lot of local crews this preseason, and Huard has been the best. Torry Holt stumbles over simple words to the point of stuttering. The Cowboys' guy had a lot of flighty comments and would get obsessed with one or two things and wouldn't let 'em go. Others have just been amateurish the way they repeat the play-by-play in slightly different words. Brock is going to find himself going national sooner than later, unless he just wants to stay close to home.

And good stuff, Kearly. Thanks for the write-up.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
TeamoftheCentury":21fy1dvs said:
"-Seattle's starting pass rush had a very tough time, but to Denver's credit I think their OL is pretty darn good, particularly their interior group."

Well, they've gone through a couple of guys and are down to their 3rd plan at Center, I believe, after injuries. I think that line got away with holding quite a bit all night. There were a couple of overly obvious ones... Mebane in the backfield in the open field - Curt Menafee and Brock Huard even commented after the play. Bennett was held quite a bit, too. One of those was mentioned. So, I would say they're pretty good alright... at cheating and somehow getting away with it. Not saying our pass rush has exactly arrived, but just that I have a hard time giving much credit to the Denver OL.

I think any apparent lack of pass rush was also due, in part, to how quickly Manning makes his reads and releases the ball. He's masterful. I'll give credit there.

I'm midway through 2nd quarter right now on DVR. I think I have Denver down for one hold that wasn't called, for the most part they won with legit blocking. On the other hand, Seattle generated more pressure than I thought. This was really just a case of Manning making his line look like a collection of all-pros.

Largent80

Reaction score
Watching the game now. Kearse has been making plays. So what?.....It is the 2nd practice game.

Tate is making the star progress that a 2nd round WR should make after 3 full years.

Kearse has done nothing in the NFL and regardless of a contract year, the only thing between the Hawks and Tate re-upping is a Super Bowl.

If we win it this year, Tate then may not be kept. Other than that, he is my target to retain at this point.