Random Thoughts™ on the Broncos preseason game

Jac

Reaction score
falcongoggles":20v32uqv said:
I loved the final score, but I'm not entirely convinced that Seattle would win the Superbowl against this team. Obviously it's hard to tell since we were both playing vanilla schemes and it seemed like everything was breaking Seattle's way (opposite of Chicago game last year). Away or neutral site, four quarters, same pass rush issues. I think it would be a dogfight. 10 games played, I say 6-4 Seattle. You just can't hold Peyton down for 4 quarters without a pass rush

In the Super Bowl against this team this year...we'd have to see how Peyton Manning holds up in the frigid New York weather. He hasn't historically come up big in big games either.

Seafan

Reaction score
Denver is a great team and Peyton a certain unanimous first ballot HOF but he doesn't do well in playoff games. The odds are against them playing in the game. Seattle played a vanilla defensive scheme with its three best pass rushers on the sidelines. The offense and defense are definitely not at mid season form. Heck the 12th man wasn't in mid season form.

Thunderhawk

Reaction score
#1) Brock Huard is a fantastic color commentator. His ability to dissect the nuances of a play and explain them succinctly is Mayock-like. Better than Mayock, IMO. He's also pretty funny sometimes. He just needs to add some Madden / Mayock onomatopoeia to his repertoire to appeal to the rustics. So many terrible, terrible broadcast crews in the NFL. I hope Brock gets a chance to replace a guy like Brian Billick...

#2) Receiver is a very difficult position to evaluate. Over the years we've seen hype for a lot of fringe NFL players, that flash ability in TC and preseason only to disappear when things got real. I am not sold on Kearse or Williams. I think starting corners will destroy both of them or at least easily neutralize them. Of course I hope I'm wrong and we caught lightning in a bottle, but Jordan Kent, Ricardo Lockette, Courtney Hawkins, Jerheme Urban, et al, augur otherwise.

#3) Evidently Warren Moon told Wilson to trust his first read and get the ball out faster. I think that's good advice. Wilson's ability to extend plays is uncanny but sometimes a quick completion sans 'keystone-kops' audition, (like the ball he threw early to McGrath) can be more effective.

#4) Jesse Williams spends a lot of time on the ground or pushed out of the play.

#5) Schofield looks legit as a rusher.

#6) Wouldn't bother me if Coleman beat out Ware. Both are marginal talents.

#7) Does Schneider get any heat for this draft? The UDFAs have arguably outperformed any of the picks outside of Michael. Hill has been ok. Willson is still a work in progress. Chris Harper and Jesse Williams won't make the team and neither might make the practice squad. Tharold Simon, injured - doubtful to make the cut. Seymour, Powell, and Smith fringe practice squad guys. The Harvin deal still looks questionable. We have high expectations from JS, and clearly it is harder for the later round guys to make the roster now, but I still count a lot of misses this year.

Cartire

Reaction score
You really do need to hit the DVR again and then revise your position on the run blocking. Okung and McQuistin were beast out there and always on perfect assignment. Turbin missed 3 great chances to hit big yardage due to being tripped up.

Run Blocking was on point and I expect Cable to bring the boys to Dairy Queen for ice cream after the game.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
Thunderhawk":2g6v7u02 said:
#7) Does Schneider get any heat for this draft? The UDFAs have arguably outperformed any of the picks outside of Michael. Hill has been ok. Willson is still a work in progress. Chris Harper and Jesse Williams won't make the team and neither might make the practice squad. Tharold Simon, injured - doubtful to make the cut. Seymour, Powell, and Smith fringe practice squad guys. The Harvin deal still looks questionable. We have high expectations from JS, and clearly it is harder for the later round guys to make the roster now, but I still count a lot of misses this year.

Shouldn't we, I don't know, let them play an actual game before we start making judgments? I could be mistaken but I don't recall Sherman looking like the biggest steals of the draft by preseason game #2 or even by the end of year 1. Irvin didn't even get a sack last year until preseason game 4.

pehawk

Reaction score
I gots to disagree with Wilson's "overthrows" in this game. At least 2 in particular.

The overthrow on L Wilson's go route along the sideline was L Wilson's fault. He didn't run full speed through the route. He held up about 7-10 yards from where the route ended/ball landed. On the seam route to Baldwin, Wilson essentially through that away. A completion would've gotten Baldwin killed by the safety over the top.

Yeah, maybe its an issue for Wilson. But, it doesn't explain EVERY incomplete.

Seafan

Reaction score
You can't judge a rookie class after two preseason games. Simon will be on IR all season. Williams and Harper haven't been cut yet and if they do get cut they'll be playing somewhere. Bailey and Bowie were nice finds. Willson, Michael and Hill will be contributing for years. When you build a team as deep as this you can't always draft 7 players every year who are capable of making the roster. I trust JS eye for talent.

pehawk

Reaction score
Yup, I was thinking about this last night. How dude's like Thurmond, Sherman, Kam, etc we're drafted with year 3 and 4 in mind. John and Pete could give a frick about year one.

BobcatHawk

Reaction score
kearly":2g6xl8v6 said:
-Apparently Refs are paid by the penalty now. There were 21 accepted penalties (12 on Seattle), but that number doesn't include flags that were thrown and later picked up, penalties that were declined, or offsetting penalties. You add all those up, there were probably 30-35 total penalty stoppages in this game. By the 4th quarter even the broadcast crew started to lose their patience. The refs seemed to make it a point to discuss every single penalty, and some of their decisions (including replays) seemed dubious. It reminded me a lot of the replacement official period last season.

I think the refs were short a guy. The umpire seemed to be missing as the SJ was wearing the white hat; this may be the reason for the extensive penalties and indecision.

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
As is common, the elite quarterbacks tend to get all the credit, but you have to credit his front four for giving Manning those 4 seconds last night. Our starting DLine was unable to offer much pressure and even the run defense looked marginal. We knew this was an issue and our biggest need from last fall.It continues to be so.

Wilson looked frantic at times last night. Get that out of the way early!

Bradford, Browner and Kearse were all mega last night.

Overall a great win, but a lot of questions afterwards!

pehawk

Reaction score
BobcatHawk":1gia9nf0 said:
kearly":1gia9nf0 said:
-Apparently Refs are paid by the penalty now. There were 21 accepted penalties (12 on Seattle), but that number doesn't include flags that were thrown and later picked up, penalties that were declined, or offsetting penalties. You add all those up, there were probably 30-35 total penalty stoppages in this game. By the 4th quarter even the broadcast crew started to lose their patience. The refs seemed to make it a point to discuss every single penalty, and some of their decisions (including replays) seemed dubious. It reminded me a lot of the replacement official period last season.

I think the refs were short a guy. The umpire seemed to be missing as the SJ was wearing the white hat; this may be the reason for the extensive penalties and indecision.

They weren't short a guy, the SJ was auditioning for a referee job. Yes, they interview candidates like that, in preseason. We all suffer.

jdblack

Reaction score
Several of Wilson's overthrows were in scrambling situations where the receiver changed angles away from the end zone and back towards Wilson.

Reaction score
jdblack":359ngwum said:
Several of Wilson's overthrows were in scrambling situations where the receiver changed angles away from the end zone and back towards Wilson.
Was going to post this myself...on the throw to Willson for instance, Russ there to where he should have gone (the end zone)..while Willson ran into another receivers area and coverage.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
"-Seattle's starting pass rush had a very tough time, but to Denver's credit I think their OL is pretty darn good, particularly their interior group."

Well, they've gone through a couple of guys and are down to their 3rd plan at Center, I believe, after injuries. I think that line got away with holding quite a bit all night. There were a couple of overly obvious ones... Mebane in the backfield in the open field - Curt Menafee and Brock Huard even commented after the play. Bennett was held quite a bit, too. One of those was mentioned. So, I would say they're pretty good alright... at cheating and somehow getting away with it. Not saying our pass rush has exactly arrived, but just that I have a hard time giving much credit to the Denver OL.

I think any apparent lack of pass rush was also due, in part, to how quickly Manning makes his reads and releases the ball. He's masterful. I'll give credit there.

BobcatHawk

Reaction score
pehawk":1o2x3ggt said:
BobcatHawk":1o2x3ggt said:
kearly":1o2x3ggt said:

They weren't short a guy, the SJ was auditioning for a referee job. Yes, they interview candidates like that, in preseason. We all suffer.

That makes sense, I just got to the point in the game where the announcers said that. (NFL Preseason online was blacked out in my area, so I had to wait until today to watch.)

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
kearly":1jspo34a said:
-Benson Mayowa more or less confirmed my fears tonight. He started, and didn't even face Ryan Clady, but merely Ryan Clady's backup. And he was almost completely shut down against Denver's 1st team offense. I noticed him for only one positive play of note in that span, and that positive play was against the run. When the scrubs were put in he immediately looked great again and got a sack almost immediately. There are still two preseason games left, but Mayowa definitely looks like a guy with sub-fringe tools that might not have what it takes to produce against real starting lineman. Not saying I'm giving up on him, but tonight was a troubling sign, IMO.

Troubling? no, I don't think so. Considering he's a UDFA and a rookie, I'm not really upset. There is time for him to develop, and I think he gets that chance. Few Rooks are all-pro's from day 1, especially ones in their first season that wren't drafted. He's a bright spot to keep an eye on.

Not only were there too many unnecessary penalties called, there were many that should have been called that weren't. Holding by Denver all over the place that weren't called. But I place at least some of the blame on the Competition committee and all the new rules. It seems like the refs new stand is, just throw a flag, even if you aren't sure, and talk about it afterwards. Geesh.

-Chancellor and Browner were stupid good in this game. Chancellor had an unbelievable 11 total tackles in less than 2 full quarters of play. And Browner was a big play machine all night. Even when he got picked on for receptions, he had reasonably good coverage and only gave up the reception because Peyton Manning with 4 seconds to throw is the definition of unstoppable.

I do like what they showed, but man, we need more tackles from the front 4.

-Not to sound like I am overhyping the guy, but watching Allen Bradford make impact tackle after impact tackle this preseason, I am starting to be reminded of 2011 Kam Chancellor. That guy just came out of nowhere and was solid as a rock that season. He was the one defender you could count on the most that year. At the time, he was briefly my favorite Seahawk. Whenever you noticed Chancellor, you notice him for good reasons. That's kind of how Bradford is starting to feel for me. A few times a game some dude makes a stellar play and it's #52 getting up from the tackle. I'm really liking Bradford's outlook right now.

He is proving himself a legit MLB. My biggest concern now is, what do we do with him? Wagner is the man in the middle as far as I'm concerned, but Bradford can bring it for sure.

pocketprotector

Reaction score
The nit picking of a few of Wilson's throws seems to be a reflection of some vastly over inflated expectations.

truehawksfan

Reaction score
First, I like the assessments made. Very informative.

That said, I usually don't comment because lots of information, good stuff, but felt like I have to defend Mayowa, because the comments were very harsh.

Von Miller v2.0?
If everyone thought Mayowa was the next Von Miller, he would have been drafted in the 1st round. Let's level set our expectation.

Speaking of the draft...
Melvin Ingram, Shea McClellin, Whitney Mercilus, and Nick Perry were all drafted in the 1st RD last year. They played a combined 51 games and collected just 11.5 sacks. Ingram had just 1 sack in 16 games, McClellin 2.5 in 13 in comparasion to ,what, 10-15 snaps against the 1st team Denver offense?

Rookie
As the stats show, it ain't easy being a rookie pass rusher or UDFA period. Look at last years UFDA, specifically Jermaine Kearse. Many on this board called him camp fodder last year. And, what about Allen Bradford?Everyone thought they signed him as a RB. Both spent a lot of time on PS last year and we're seeing what a year under the system makes.

Not saying...
Is he the Von Miller?Probably not, but the Hawks see something in him to name him the starter against Denver to see how he responds. No doubt he took his limps, so he next step is to look at the tape and make adjustments. How does he respond? Does he listen to the coaches? Does he put in maximum effort on the practice field? Wil he step up on ST?

He has athletic ability, but as Bruce Irvin knows, this game is alot more then that, so I hope the team keeps him around. Who knows, the team has developed players under Carroll and co. so perhaps Mayowa will be their success story.