Random Thoughts on the Dallas game

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2dyu9sv5 said:
Upon all-22 review, Seattle played a shit game. Bevell had mistakes, he tried to jump start the run game late with I formation and Coleman stunk up 3 plays. Seattle failed in most respects to make Dallas pay for playing a lot of man.

On the first Jet sweep, Kearse just whiffed a cut on Scandrick, otherwise that play has numbers on the left side. Willson blocks like a rice paper wall over and over. Schilling actually had a good run blocking game.

Wilson had a terrible game. Some of you are crapping on guys for drops, but Wilson was off, underthrowing guys back into coverage, not leading guys far enough a couple times, bailing from the pocket away from open checkdown passes, and just generally late seeing a lot of stuff.

Dallas and Marinelli deserve credit. They gave Seattle and a new center lots of odd looks. They recognized that Seattle would look to get the clock back on it's side in the 2nd half, and put 8 in the box when Coleman was in the backfield. The Dallas linebackers would all take deep pass drops, knowing Seattle avoids the short middle of the field. One time they brought up 6 looking blitz, but dropped the DE and LB on one side back, sending 4 from the right side vs 3 blockers. I am sure that is one that is getting blamed by lots of you on a crappy line, but the Dallas scheme made it a 4 on 3 pass rush. A line slide would have stopped it dead. Another time the 3 tech got after Wilson unblocked. How does nobody put a hat on a guy who is over a guard?

The horrible "option pass" everyone is upset about wasn't that at all. Lynch was supposed to get the handoff. He thought it was a pass and was setting up for pass pro, Wilson turned to nobody, and improvised. Can't hang that on Bevell.

Like many games, Wilson could have kept a couple read options and it would have been big yards. I have given up complaining about those, I am convinced lots of them are not real read options anyway.

Required reading. Thanks.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Scottemojo":3isvug2h said:
Upon all-22 review, Seattle played a shit game. Bevell had mistakes, he tried to jump start the run game late with I formation and Coleman stunk up 3 plays. Seattle failed in most respects to make Dallas pay for playing a lot of man.

On the first Jet sweep, Kearse just whiffed a cut on Scandrick, otherwise that play has numbers on the left side. Willson blocks like a rice paper wall over and over. Schilling actually had a good run blocking game.

Wilson had a terrible game. Some of you are crapping on guys for drops, but Wilson was off, underthrowing guys back into coverage, not leading guys far enough a couple times, bailing from the pocket away from open checkdown passes, and just generally late seeing a lot of stuff.

Dallas and Marinelli deserve credit. They gave Seattle and a new center lots of odd looks. They recognized that Seattle would look to get the clock back on it's side in the 2nd half, and put 8 in the box when Coleman was in the backfield. The Dallas linebackers would all take deep pass drops, knowing Seattle avoids the short middle of the field. One time they brought up 6 looking blitz, but dropped the DE and LB on one side back, sending 4 from the right side vs 3 blockers. I am sure that is one that is getting blamed by lots of you on a crappy line, but the Dallas scheme made it a 4 on 3 pass rush. A line slide would have stopped it dead. Another time the 3 tech got after Wilson unblocked. How does nobody put a hat on a guy who is over a guard?

The horrible "option pass" everyone is upset about wasn't that at all. Lynch was supposed to get the handoff. He thought it was a pass and was setting up for pass pro, Wilson turned to nobody, and improvised. Can't hang that on Bevell.

Like many games, Wilson could have kept a couple read options and it would have been big yards. I have given up complaining about those, I am convinced lots of them are not real read options anyway.

Ahh so since Rw had a bad game the drops do not matter. So Baldwins Drop for a TD did not matter. How do you know those drops are what led Rw to second guess things? Not saying it did but the reality is those drops mattered. On a day were our QB needed some help he got none. Those drops were huge.

Tical21

Reaction score
Anthony!, we're all desperate for answers. What does your analysis of all your charts you made from the stands tell you?

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1ntnwjle said:

Once again Scott M explains things without any arrogance for the rest of us. My question is will Wilson understand this and learn from it?

Anthony!

Reaction score
Tical21":2jvcqddc said:
Anthony!, we're all desperate for answers. What does your analysis of all your charts you made from the stands tell you?

very simply, we are a team that has a very narrow margin on offense. We have a great QB and RB. that is it. We have a bunch of #2-4 wrs, a weapon in Harvin who we are not using right, and then add in a bad o-line and questionable play calling or design. Add a HC who wants to play mistake free. All of this means when either our QB and or Rb have an off day, weather by their own play or lack of use or being used wrong we are in trouble. There is an old saying you cannot live in fear, because it is not living. Its time to stop the mistake free, conservative crap and play real NFL football on offense Like we have done on rare occasions, its time to do it all the time.

What does this mean, better route trees covering all distances, more rub and pick routes, Using the whole field not just the outside because it is safer. and of course run the ball to help the oline, and make the defense a fraction of a second slower or in other words play action. Sometimes use no huddle this is a lace were RW and our offense would have a huge advantage. There is plenty we could do, the way the offense played during the SB and the regular season NO game are great examples of what a real NFL offense candor for this team. Use Harvin as a true #1 and get Norwood on the field

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
I found your comments about Willson interesting. He's shown good blocking skills on the outside the last 2 weeks when RW ran wide, keeping his hands inside to avoid the hold and clearing the way for Russ to get the edge. Last week I'm referring specifically to the TD Russ got after the muffed punt by Dullass. Apparently those have been the exception eather than the norm or maybe they were on DBs who are physically inferior to him or ? It would seem we need Zach back and badly. How much longer til Luke is just a bust?

Also as it concerns Coleman, Kearly has been low on him all along. If we're going to carry a FB on the roster, shouldn't he be an exceptional blocker? It would seem he's very up and down in his performance.

Thanks for the report Scott. All this info was very good to know!

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Anthony!":7xa8l9wo said:
Scottemojo":7xa8l9wo said:

Ahh so since Rw had a bad game the drops do not matter. So Baldwins Drop for a TD did not matter. How do you know those drops are what led Rw to second guess things? Not saying it did but the reality is those drops mattered. On a day were our QB needed some help he got none. Those drops were huge.
You can call Baldwin's opportunity in the end zone a drop all you want, it goes down officially as a pass defensed, since a defender knocked it out of his hands. Also, Wilson had Willson wide open at the 8, with a good chance to make a football play and a first down, on the "dropped" pass to Baldwin. The deep passes that Kearse and Willson had knocked out of their hands were underthrown balls. They got labeled as drops by fans, as if somehow the defenders had no role in knocking the ball out, but they will be officially scored as defensed passes.

Back shoulders and outs were there for the taking. With the man cover and deep linebacker drops Dallas was taking, so were come backers, hooks and curl patterns and shallow crossers.

Like most games, the all-22 says the pass blocking for Seattle was better than a lot here seem to think, with the majority of the pressure coming after 3 seconds while Russell waited on developing, or in the case of Sunday, stillborn deep routes. Of course, we still seem to see the mandatory every game occurence of Britt being beaten badly a time or two, Carp or Sweezy completely missing one assignment, and blitzes not picked up. I don't know how you assign blame to the o-line for not picking up blitzes when the real responsibility is on the QB to get to his hot read, but that is pretty much what is done on this, and probably most, NFL boards.

Russell is a good QB. It isn't heresy to point out his mistakes.

Wagon12

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":1xssmmto said:
Scottemojo":1xssmmto said:

Once again Scott M explains things without any arrogance for the rest of us. My question is will Wilson understand this and learn from it?

Certainly hope so...

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Of course Wilson will learn.

The game was a near total failure, except for special teams.

Our offensive philosophy, and this is on Pete, not Bevell, is to kind of feel a team out first by testing them sideline to sideline a few times and north south a time or two. Usually you will see a wide variety of playcalls early on just for that purpose. The problem is, if there is execution failures on those plays, short drives result and we are still in the feeling out part of the gameplan late into the second quarter. I lay this on Pete because he used to do the same thing at USC.

In both losses, that philosophy bit us because it didn't burn clock. Which exacerbated a defensive problem. Hawk philosophy has been that offenses cannot consistently play patiently vs our D without making or having forced a mistake. Well, this year we are seeing long drive after long drive that are mistake free. Clock burning drives that have kept our O on the sideline, still looking at their "feeling out the defense" playcall sheet deep into the 2nd quarter. Combined with that, I see a trend of testing teams with some play action when the abilities of the running game have not yet really been established. Which is why there is a lack of successful deep shots.

The jet sweeps, end arounds, and bubble screens require more execution precision from receivers and tight ends. One bad block from the receiver on the sweep side and the play looks botched by everyone. One bad read from Russell on a zone read and Marshawn gets tackled easily by a crashing DE that was turned loose by the LT on purpose. I may not love a lot of Pete and Bevell's offensive philosophy, but bad execution has made it look a lot worse. Part of the beauty of the zone blocking system we use is that it is supposed to be simple to execute. Decisions on who to double, who is going to peel to the 2nd level and take a LB, they are made pre-snap based on defensive alignment. Our "cute" East-West stretch game has taken a lot of those easy blocking decisions and hung them onto our receivers and tight ends. Willson doesn't block like Miller, and our receivers are just going to have a higher whiff rate. They are boom or bust plays, which to me seems at odds with the get the easy 4 yards, then let Marshawn make somebody miss, of a zone block system.

Add to that our philosophy of play action deep shots and you end up with a team that, to compare to boxing, is coming out in the first few rounds throwing too many boom or bust haymakers and not enough body shots. Pete said in his presser that they hoped those big play attempts would open up the running game, which made me laugh, it was like somebody explaining play action backwards. Like a boxer telling you he is going to open up a guy's body by throwing a lot of high hooks early in the fight.

pehawk

Reaction score
Good isht, Scott. It's not surprising the OL seemed to hold up well in your all-22 analysis. I think they're too lazy a scapegoat.

Against Washington I was actually very encouraged by Willson's blocking. But most of those weren't in space and it seems like what you're highlighting is his blocking in space.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
pehawk":tfmb3zlf said:
Good isht, Scott. It's not surprising the OL seemed to hold up well in your all-22 analysis. I think they're too lazy a scapegoat.

Against Washington I was actually very encouraged by Willson's blocking. But most of those weren't in space and it seems like what you're highlighting is his blocking in space.
He is mostly fine when he is next to the tackle. Yeah, in space. On screens, stuff like that. I kind of doubt he will ever be great at it, he is a high cut guy.

A

Anonymous

So, based on the aforementioned lucidity, Miller is more critical to our success than we think.

the ditch

Reaction score
To me, considering how horrible the team played it's shocking to think that we lost by 7 and had a chance to tie the game, if you just read the forums you would think that we laid a goose egg, if there's anything positive we can look at I guess it's that playing our worst we can still be in the game.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2nod366y said:
Anthony!":2nod366y said:
Scottemojo":2nod366y said:

You can call Baldwin's opportunity in the end zone a drop all you want, it goes down officially as a pass defensed, since a defender knocked it out of his hands. Also, Wilson had Willson wide open at the 8, with a good chance to make a football play and a first down, on the "dropped" pass to Baldwin. The deep passes that Kearse and Willson had knocked out of their hands were underthrown balls. They got labeled as drops by fans, as if somehow the defenders had no role in knocking the ball out, but they will be officially scored as defensed passes.

Back shoulders and outs were there for the taking. With the man cover and deep linebacker drops Dallas was taking, so were come backers, hooks and curl patterns and shallow crossers.

Like most games, the all-22 says the pass blocking for Seattle was better than a lot here seem to think, with the majority of the pressure coming after 3 seconds while Russell waited on developing, or in the case of Sunday, stillborn deep routes. Of course, we still seem to see the mandatory every game occurence of Britt being beaten badly a time or two, Carp or Sweezy completely missing one assignment, and blitzes not picked up. I don't know how you assign blame to the o-line for not picking up blitzes when the real responsibility is on the QB to get to his hot read, but that is pretty much what is done on this, and probably most, NFL boards.

Russell is a good QB. It isn't heresy to point out his mistakes.

Dude look at the replay Huard and Millan did and they said the same thing it went through Baldwins hands before the defender eve got there. They both said there were 4+ drops in the game, balls that should have been caught by an NFL WR. Balls that Dallas WR caught. Even the announcers said the same thing after seeing the replay. ITs funny how you say the all 22 said blocking was good and yet Millan and Huard said the all 2 showed it was bad, Hmm. How the announcers said time and again the blocking was bad. and FYI I already said Rw played bad my point is he got little help when he needed it unlike Romo who got a lot

Scottemojo

Reaction score
HoustonHawk82":aiiempjb said:
So, based on the aforementioned lucidity, Miller is more critical to our success than we think.
Miller is a good blocker in space. He isn't fast to the block, but he is fundamental and square to the block. Willson is as likely to run past the block as anything.

edogg23

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1lfh3ogz said:

Thank you for posting this, Amazing insight!!!

HansGruber

Reaction score
I see the errors by Russell Wilson as good news.

By nature, he can be counted on to learn from those things. And it's best to get those lessons from non divisional opponents, early in the season. Wilson overthrew a couple receivers early and that might explain some of the underthrows. Anyway, it's in Wilson's character to continuously seek improvement, so any error on his part is actually good news for us. It will be overcome.

I'm looking forward to the rams game. I think the Seahawks learned some good things about themselves against Dallas that will serve them well the rest of the season.

For instance, I think we see a lot of lynch this weekend. Wish I had him on my fantasy team, because he's going to get around 20 carries and 100 yards. I also think we'll see a focused Wilson who will be playing like a pissed off Brady. Wilson is a leader and this next stretch of 4-5 games is where that shows up.

I'm excited for it.

Wagon12

Reaction score
HansGruber":3jivgz4l said:
I see the errors by Russell Wilson as good news.

By nature, he can be counted on to learn from those things. And it's best to get those lessons from non divisional opponents, early in the season. Wilson overthrew a couple receivers early and that might explain some of the underthrows. Anyway, it's in Wilson's character to continuously seek improvement, so any error on his part is actually good news for us. It will be overcome.

I'm looking forward to the rams game. I think the Seahawks learned some good things about themselves against Dallas that will serve them well the rest of the season.

For instance, I think we see a lot of lynch this weekend. Wish I had him on my fantasy team, because he's going to get around 20 carries and 100 yards. I also think we'll see a focused Wilson who will be playing like a pissed off Brady. Wilson is a leader and this next stretch of 4-5 games is where that shows up.

I'm excited for it.

I hope you're right. That said, we learn more this weekend than last IMO...

had2bhawk

Reaction score
I agree with you Hans. Take care of our division and Hawks will be fine.

To add to your thoughts of errors made by Seattle I saw a lot of attempted tackles high at the shoulders and trying for the ball, which led to a lot of extra yards for Dallas. I agree with a lot of other posts that say we need to get back to basics, take their legs out.

This is all adjustable and its only week 6. Lets take a look at it again by week 9-10.

I have confidence in this group and they'll rise!