28. Matt Flynn
29. Jake Locker
30. Christian Ponder
31. Mark Sanchez
32. Blaine Gabbert

A for Effort!

Happypuppy

Reaction score
That is a much better list. I might quibble with a couple rankings but it would be subjective.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
1. Tom Brady
2. Aaron Rodgers
3. Peyton Manning
4. Drew Brees
5. Matt Ryan
6. Joe Flacco
7. Russell Wilson
8. RGIII
9. Andrew Luck
10. Eli Manning
11. Ben Roethlisberger
12. Colin Kaepernick
13. Matthew Stafford
14. Tony Romo
15. Andy Dalton
16. Cam Newton
17. Jay Cutler
18. Philip Rivers
19. Matt Schaub
20. Sam Bradford
21. Alex Smith
22. Michael Vick
23. Ryan Tannehill
24. Josh Freeman
25. Matt Flynn
26. Carson Palmer
27. Brandon Weeden
28. Christian Ponder
29. Mark Sanchez
30. EJ Manuel
31. Jake Locker
32. Blaine Gabbert

EJ Manuel is nothing until game 1. Alex Smith was very solid last year until he got benched. Andrew Luck isn't even close to top 5.

rlkats

Reaction score
Sorry to offend but Wilson should be only one spot above Kap. Both QB have not really proved anything except they were damn good for one season. Let them prove themselve more before they are higher than Eli and Ben (SB winners). That goes for the other rookie QB"s also

NINEster

Reaction score
OrFan":505z8lmn said:
NINEster":505z8lmn said:
While Luck did not have the best rookie season statistically, he did have the most wins ever, shattering his predecessor's record of 7 or 8 wins with 11. I get that Indy had a last place schedule, but regardless teams with last place schedules very rarely win 11 games (let alone with a rookie QB).

The most wins ever? You mean by a rookie? What about Wilson who had 11 regular season wins and a post season win with a much more tough schedule?

Tough schedule but far superior team.

We saw what Indy was in 2011....a #1 draft pick team.

Where's the props for Alex Smith outstanding win/loss record under Harbaugh? LOL.

NINEster

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":1vqj2lrd said:
OrFan":1vqj2lrd said:
NINEster":1vqj2lrd said:
While Luck did not have the best rookie season statistically, he did have the most wins ever, shattering his predecessor's record of 7 or 8 wins with 11. I get that Indy had a last place schedule, but regardless teams with last place schedules very rarely win 11 games (let alone with a rookie QB).

The most wins ever? You mean by a rookie? What about Wilson who had 11 regular season wins and a post season win with a much more tough schedule?

Am I the only who remembers Luck getting absolutely embarrassed against New England? Like 2 pick-sixes or something? That game should've served as notice that Luck is more hype than real thing at this point.

The Patriots can absolutely smash teams if their defense isn't good enough to keep them in check. They annihilated a Broncos team that managed to get past the Steelers in the playoffs.....a team that gave the Patriots a thrashing only a few months earlier.

They also murdered a Rams team that gave everyone in the west fits. Pretty much only a few teams in the NFL can really compete with them.

And perhaps a rookie is a rookie indeed. I doubt Wilson or Kaepernick could have done better in the same situation.

PlinytheCenter

Reaction score
kearly":1qc1amvo said:
I'd have Luck in the late teens based on last season, though I do think he'll take a big step forward this year.

For me, the top tier is six QBs:

Manning
Brees
Brady
Rodgers
Wilson
RG3

In no particular order. Any of them can look unstoppable at any given time. I would have leaned Wilson #1 before the season, but after watching how masterful Manning was the other night, I don't know how any QB could be better. Give him 3 seconds and he will erase an elite defense.

I think you could at least attempt the argument that those are the six best QBs to ever play the game, though obviously Wilson and RG3 need more time to earn that distinction. But they just had the two best rookie seasons in NFL history. It is kind of amazing the level of QB play in the NFL right now.

I of course bow to your considerable expertise on these matters, but Russell has shown in the last two games a propensity to throw high. He could have had two more TD throws this week. He started off the season last year doing the same thing and straightened it out eventually. I hope he does the same this year, but right now it kind of bugs me.

NINEster

Reaction score
themunn":143cn4gp said:
NINEster":143cn4gp said:
The underrating of Luck is pretty comical (as is the idea that Wilson is head and shoulders above the young QB class).

In Luck's situation, he was asked to throw the ball downfield the most of all starting QBs (not just the young pups). He did not benefit from an elite OL, running game and/or defense like Kaepernick, Wilson, or Griffin. People like to downplay Alex Smith's passer rating for being short passing game and very little risks downfield.....well, same principle here basically as compared to Luck, all of these QBs kept the ball "safe and efficient".

His mobility is excellent for a guy not named Wilson, Griffin, Kaepernick, and
Vick. He's a little faster than Aaron Rodgers and Alex Smith, two pocket passer QBs that can move pretty well.

As for Wilson, he's a great QB. But it's too early to tell how he ranks against the rest.

So it's too early to tell for Wilson, who equalled the rookie record for TDs thrown, set a record for TD/INT differential as a rookie, won the most games ever as a rookie (12, not 11) and broke the former record for passer rating as a rookie (but didn't set the record).

But it's not too early to tell for Luck? Who had an easier schedule, threw less TDs, more interceptions, had a passer rating worse than all of the following: Kevin Kolb, Jay Cutler, Christian Ponder, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Nick Foles, and Blaine Gabbert.
In fact, among QBs with more than 100 attempts, Luck ranked 30th in the league, ahead of just 8 players. And that list doesn't make good reading:
Ryan Tannehill, Jake Locker, Chad Henne, Mark Sanchez, Matt Cassel, Brady Quinn, John Skelton and Ryan Lindley.

That's it.

Honestly I think it's too early to tell for all guys, but felt like Luck has been getting the shaft by fans of the Redskins, Seahawks and 49ers....basically teams with their own young stud QB.

As far as comparing passer rating to all of those other guys, I genuinely think the system has a lot to do with it along with the lack of a great OL and running game to take the pressure off. Colts defense didn't do him any favors. You want to make this out to be a non issue....a QB is supposed to rise above and conquer all, lol. That's not reality.

The real interesting thing in all this is RG3. As explained to me by a Redskins fan who is very knowledgeable about football, he says the pistol in Washington DC was an act of going all in to make the very expensive #2 overall pick work at all costs. It just so happened that the pistol was far more than a gimmick, esp. if the QB was legit. With that you see a little bit of that in Seattle, and then the same thing in SF. Neither Seattle nor SF would have ever resorted to that much attention to pistol (and furthermore read option) had Griffin not established it, because the teams were too good all around to need to experiment like that. Perhaps Harbaugh might have gradually done it being Harbaugh with a college pistol QB at the helm, but not as a midseason thing.

Time will tell all (5-10 years). It could very well be that each of these QBs are just best suited to their individual situations....

For instance, I think Eli & Roethlisberger are ideal QBs for their teams...the Gilbride offense in NY and the ARians offense while still in Pittsburgh takes a special skillset....but neither could dominate in Green Bay or New Orleans like Rodgers and Brees. And it's possible that while Brees and Rodgers are interchangeable, they probably couldn't do as good a job in their new locations.

ARhawk

Reaction score
rlkats":1hblcun8 said:
Sorry to offend but Wilson should be only one spot above Kap. Both QB have not really proved anything except they were damn good for one season. Let them prove themselve more before they are higher than Eli and Ben (SB winners). That goes for the other rookie QB"s also
This

SonicHawk

Reaction score
ARhawk":2l0cpz28 said:
rlkats":2l0cpz28 said:
This

Eli and Ben both won Super Bowls because of their defense. They are both solid NFL QBs, but let's not get carried away.

I think about 6-12 are pretty interchangeable. My rankings just ended up that way, not necessarily suggesting Kaep doesn't deserve to be higher.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Well at least my rank of Wilson at 7 doesn't seem silly. Maybe I am not as clueless about football as my brothers keep insisting?

On the otherhand, I am supposed to care about Kaepernick before he actually wins against us in the Divisional Playoffs this year?

Not likely by the way, that he will ever win versus Wilson when it counts or more importantly that I would ever care about him regardless of the circumstances or parameters given Wilson is on my team.

Throwdown

Reaction score
ARhawk":36g0hw3g said:
rlkats":36g0hw3g said:
This

So you guys want Kaep to be #2?

RichNhansom

Reaction score
1) The Colts manufactured that #1 overall pick. That was never a 2 win team. Ignoring the truth only makes you ignorant. Using the win metric vs the previous season is the most dishonest way to evaluate Luck. Please explain how Luck's stats were on par with some of the worst in the league if that team (that was suppose to be a 2 win team) didn't help. Trying to heap all the credit on Luck is ridiculous.

2) I don't know how good or Bad Kaep will be. His style was so completely different than Smith's that it definitely caught the league of guard. He never had to perform without the assistance of a dominant running game like Wilson did against Atlanta when Lynch had a sprained ankle. We also seen our offense abandon the running game and go pass happy to facilitate big come backs like the NE and Chicago games. Wilson performed his best against top defenses and that is when Kaep struggled.

Kaep has shown great arm strength and speed but he has yet to show significant touch or a strong grasp of progressions. If Gore goes down I think we will see Kaep struggle, especially with his current WR core.

I know alot of people get caught up on arm strength and speed but the QB position is a cerebral position first and there are multiple reasons to still question if Kaep has the cerebral ability to grow beyond his arms and legs. If he had a better receiving corp around him I think that would help but the condition of their WR corp right now could serve to hurt his growth. I will be impressed if he can succeed with what he has to work with right now, even with the running game there. If that running game takes a hit and he still succeeds, I will be blown away.

Fanatics

Reaction score
I am far from a 49er apologist but some of these comments are ridiculous. To say Kaep has never brought his team back or won a big game, both of those points should be put to rest with last year's nfccg game. Actually if this has become a Wilson vs Kaepernick thread, then the 49ers went further in the only year they both have played, so Kaep should be ranked higher.

With that said, I would not trade Wilson for any QB on a bet. I believe we hit gold with Wilson.

13thMan

Reaction score
Fanatics":1cg00wra said:
I am far from a 49er apologist but some of these comments are ridiculous. To say Kaep has never brought his team back or won a big game, both of those points should be put to rest with last year's nfccg game. Actually if this has become a Wilson vs Kaepernick thread, then the 49ers went further in the only year they both have played, so Kaep should be ranked higher.

With that said, I would not trade Wilson for any QB on a bet. I believe we hit gold with Wilson.

While I would never have the balls to post this myself, I think you have nailed it... nicely done. Still, nobody can argue that both Kaepernick and RW were very impressive first year starters, but like you, I agree that the general dislike for Kaepernick has caused many to separate the two in ranking by seriously unrealistic margins...

I digress....

RichNhansom

Reaction score
They went further on an easier path. Credit where credit is due.

The nfccg was a fluke. I would normally never buy into the team just had a bad game. It is almost always caused by the opponent but that game is the best example of a poor defensive game plan I have ever seen. The only thing even close was the poor execution of said game plan.

Any time a team gashes you repeatedly with the same exact play, it is more a reflection of the defense than the offense. Unless you think Kaep will repeatedly put up 181 yards on the ground. That was a fluke and will never be repeated.

13thMan

Reaction score
RichNhansom":3laygs4v said:

The nfccg was a fluke. I would normally never buy into the team just had a bad game. It is almost always caused by the opponent but that game is the best example of a poor defensive game plan I have ever seen. The only thing even close was the poor execution of said game plan.

Any time a team gashes you repeatedly with the same exact play, it is more a reflection of the defense than the offense. Unless you think Kaep will repeatedly put up 181 yards on the ground. That was a fluke and will never be repeated.

I think this is a pretty shallow view IMO..... to each his own. I think what Kap/Niners did in the playoffs wasn't any less respectable than what we did... I don't think it was any "easier" either.... Plus, if you consider that Kaepernick almost led his team to the biggest comeback in Super Bowl history, well, as you say... Give credit where credit is due.

To clarify, I'm not anointing Kaepernick as the greatest thing since sliced bread either, but all you have to do is open your eyes, look at it with an unbiased perspective and...... well, whatever......

Back on point..... when was the last time you could honestly say that many rookies/1st year starters would be lumped in the top half of the league as far as QB rankings? Fun time to be a football fan I'd say...

Marvin49

Reaction score
13thMan":1jaz6f25 said:
RichNhansom":1jaz6f25 said:

I think this is a pretty shallow view IMO..... to each his own. I think what Kap/Niners did in the playoffs wasn't any less respectable than what we did... I don't think it was any "easier" either.... Plus, if you consider that Kaepernick almost led his team to the biggest comeback in Super Bowl history, well, as you say... Give credit where credit is due.

To clarify, I'm not anointing Kaepernick as the greatest thing since sliced bread either, but all you have to do is open your eyes, look at it with an unbiased perspective and...... well, whatever......

Back on point..... when was the last time you could honestly say that many rookies/1st year starters would be lumped in the top half of the league as far as QB rankings? Fun time to be a football fan I'd say...

Completely agree. Every view of Kaep on this site is biased in some way. Kaep has record setting performance against Packers? Packers simply stupid. Comeback against Atlanta? Fluke. Nearly coming all the way back to win the Super Bowl? It was the power outage.

Its all wishful thinking.

Very little "give credit where credit is due" here. That's OK...we'll find out soon enough. :D

RichNhansom

Reaction score
If you believe the paths were equal then you are not being honest with yourself. To get that #2 seed over us they only beat one opponent ( the Jets, not fair calling them an opponent) at 10:00am. If they couldn't beat the Rams or Vikings early, do you really believe they could have beaten NE or GB early? How about Atlanta?

Bi week, home game and away afternoon game is not equal to home game, east coast game and then another east coast game. Add to that the second game was early and after losing or injuring Clemins , Lynch and Hauscka on the worst surface in the NFL.

Not calling Kaep crap but from what I watched Gore was more instrumental in those wins than Kaep. If Gore sprains an ankle non of those happen.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
By the way, was there ever an explanation of why the power went out and stayed out for over half an hour? From my understanding it was only the stadium and not the surrounding area.