Rashaad Penny

zetes

Reaction score
xray":mfv0yne7 said:
He got his chance with Carson out....11 yards on 4 carries...1st round bust...IMO

Come on. Give him a season or 2 at least. Not every rookie crushes it in his first season. It's disappointing from a fan perspective that he's not lighting it on fire yet but season 1 is only half over.

Z.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":pn7l8r7q said:
ImTheScientist":pn7l8r7q said:
Again.... Penny has not been given a chance. Those saying he has been given a chance and sucks (and you know who you are) will likely magically fade away the same way you did when you said Flynn should be our starter all while I was saying Russ would be the greatest Seahawks QB of all time.

His chance was called preseason. He lost to Chris Carson.
FYI ....He missed most of it with a broken hand.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Penny is here.

We can be upset about it or we can figure out how to get the most value from him that we can, while we develop him to be a valuable piece of this team.

But he isn't someone keeping a roster spot we have to trade or make decisions on.

And it is not unheard of for a player to produce after a year of getting their footing. Yes, RBs tend to produce faster. But it probably wouldn't hurt to support him since crapping on him isn't going to make him better either.

This isn't some guy getting paid millions in a FA that is not panning out. This is a 1st rd pick (which we tend to blow anyway) that isn't getting burn and isn't producing when he gets it. It makes sense to be frustrated with that.

Calling him a bust at this point is nonsensical though.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":n3uvwynm said:
MontanaHawk05":n3uvwynm said:
ImTheScientist":n3uvwynm said:
Again.... Penny has not been given a chance. Those saying he has been given a chance and sucks (and you know who you are) will likely magically fade away the same way you did when you said Flynn should be our starter all while I was saying Russ would be the greatest Seahawks QB of all time.

His chance was called preseason. He lost to Chris Carson.
FYI ....He missed most of it with a broken hand.

When Penny gets injured, it's an outside factor affecting the RB unfairly. When Carson gets injured, it's a quality inherent to the RB that should merit a benching. Make up your mind.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
mikeak":3ry5o2sa said:
He is a bust

The fault is not his - it was a horrible pick. Picking a RB from a small school that ran through open holes because he was untouched in the backfield was a BAD idea

They got locked in on broken tackles and ignored the fact that for almost everyone of those it was after he got up to speed. He can't get to speed in the NFL and his skillset is clearly not a running back skillset

Maybe he can be serviceable as a second back / receiving option instead of Prociesely injured

You guys are ridiculous and slaves of the moment. Remember for the last 2 years how Ifedi's been lambasted as a bust? But now in year 3 he's playing well? You can't call someone a bust in year 1. There's plenty of players who've emerged in year 2 or 3 and became incredible football players. Very few are terrific immediately.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
xray":2tehyhth said:
He got his chance with Carson out....11 yards on 4 carries...1st round bust...IMO

:lol: at 4 carries being "his chance"

He may wind up being a bust, as he sure isn't showing signs of being a superstar, but give me a break with this.

And this is coming from someone that really hated this pick on draft night.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":35br861q said:

I'm surprised we even took a RB in round 1 because of.. well.. see sig.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
xray":1telmfql said:

It does look like he's very average right now. It also looks like there afraid to give him extended playing time for fear of him getting exposed and reflecting poorly on there decision to draft him. There was a reason I didn't want them to trade down commented about it in many posts leading up to the draft. Do not trade down and force a pick at RB they did and it looks like it was another bad draft decision. There were good players sitting there at 18 and they pissed it away.

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
The Penny hate here has gotten real. For everyone saying "I don't hate Penny, I hate the pick", don't kid yourselves. The majority of you have been singing that song since the middle of TC. You're Penny haters. You all know who you are. Just admit it.

Here's my take. Carson is good. There's no denying that. But he's definitely not elite. He's a tough, between the tackles grinder. He doesn't have the speed to turn on the jets and outrun quicker defenders. His biggest strength is his strength. But it's probably his biggest weakness. Both times he's carried the ball 23+ times, he's gotten hurt which has caused him to miss time. I'm not sold on Carson as being a workhorse over the long haul.

I remember after Davis had his career game in Arizona, a few on here were actually saying he should start over Carson. I'm sorry, but absolutely not. There should be no reason why Mike Davis and his 3.5 career YPC should even be playing in front of Penny. He doesn't have a future here. Davis has been in the league long enough. We all know what he is.

It's been mentioned a few times over the last couple days, but again, Melvin Gordon was DISGUSTING his rookie year. 3.5 average on 184 carries. No touchdowns (rushing or receiving). He couldn't break tackles. He showed no vision or patience behind the LOS. That was the guy who was a top 12 (?) pick who SD fans had written off.

Penny will be just fine. It's a shame so many on this board are writing him off this early.

MrThortan

Reaction score
He's a rookie and his future isn't written yet. There are intangibles that we have no idea about, like does he have the ability, desire and willingness to learn and put in the extra hours to improve. A work ethic is hard to measure. Not all players develop at the same pace. He'll learn a lot this year and will most likely continue to improve. I don't think he will shake that "1st round" criticism until he lives up to it and he is not there yet.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Rashaad maybe good after awhile, look at Melvin Gordon.. a complete bust year 1.. that said.
there were a lot of better options to be had when we took Penny.

We haven't had a good 1st pick since, well I can't remember.

tonyseahawk

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":2r8xuhuj said:
ImTheScientist":2r8xuhuj said:

:D :D Excellent. Eddie Lacy! HA I love when people spit their supreme knowledge in written word to us lower beings. So fun to look back and laugh. Bunch-o-dummies lol

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Thepeelsessions":ovqwa5fq said:
The Penny hate here has gotten real. For everyone saying "I don't hate Penny, I hate the pick", don't kid yourselves. The majority of you have been singing that song since the middle of TC. You're Penny haters. You all know who you are. Just admit it.

Here's my take. Carson is good. There's no denying that. But he's definitely not elite. He's a tough, between the tackles grinder. He doesn't have the speed to turn on the jets and outrun quicker defenders. His biggest strength is his strength. But it's probably his biggest weakness. Both times he's carried the ball 23+ times, he's gotten hurt which has caused him to miss time. I'm not sold on Carson as being a workhorse over the long haul.

I remember after Davis had his career game in Arizona, a few on here were actually saying he should start over Carson. I'm sorry, but absolutely not. There should be no reason why Mike Davis and his 3.5 career YPC should even be playing in front of Penny. He doesn't have a future here. Davis has been in the league long enough. We all know what he is.

It's been mentioned a few times over the last couple days, but again, Melvin Gordon was DISGUSTING his rookie year. 3.5 average on 184 carries. No touchdowns (rushing or receiving). He couldn't break tackles. He showed no vision or patience behind the LOS. That was the guy who was a top 12 (?) pick who SD fans had written off.

Penny will be just fine. It's a shame so many on this board are writing him off this early.

So you can definitively claim Carson is “definitely not elite” and not a “workhorse” just 11 games into his career, who just turned 24 but yet it’s way too early to judge Penny after 8 games?

And Penny and his 3.5 career avg should start over Davis and his 4.3 this year? But yet you criticized Davis for his 3.5 career? Davis is just 25 but he doesn’t have any potential and is incapable of improvement but the world is Penny’s to be had??

A month ago Peel you said Penny “definitely has a much higher ceiling than Carson.” Do you still objectively believe that based on their play? Or are those combine #s of Penny just too attractive?

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Thepeelsessions":3chc91tb said:

:ditto: nailed it.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":24p8a4mp said:
ImTheScientist":24p8a4mp said:

I have one up on you though.... see my sig. :0190l:

Seanhawk

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":2ws5rnnt said:
Hasselbeck":2ws5rnnt said:
ImTheScientist":2ws5rnnt said:

I have one up on you though.... see my sig. :0190l:

This whole exchange is gold.

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":2zovwvet said:
Thepeelsessions":2zovwvet said:

So you can definitively claim Carson is “definitely not elite” and not a “workhorse” just 11 games into his career, who just turned 24 but yet it’s way too early to judge Penny after 8 games?

And Penny and his 3.5 career avg should start over Davis and his 4.3 this year? But yet you criticized Davis for his 3.5 career? Davis is just 25 but he doesn’t have any potential and is incapable of improvement but the world is Penny’s to be had??

A month ago Peel you said Penny “definitely has a much higher ceiling than Carson.” Do you still objectively believe that based on their play? Or are those combine #s of Penny just too attractive?

Look at Carson's injury history! It goes back to high school! When has he ever been able to hold up under high volume? Please tell me. I get it. Carson is the first RB with success this team has had since Marshawn (Rawls doesn't count, he had his success when Marshawn was still here), but this is also the best this offensive line has been in forever. How can you count on a guy to be this workhorse if he's not available?

Before the Arizona game, Davis had 3 carries for 3 yards. When he finally got a shot to carry the load, he put up big numbers against literally the weakest run defense in the league. Arizona couldn't and still can't stop the run. Penny looked good against Arizona with his limited touches. The point is Mike Davis had a career day against THE WORST run defense in the league. Since then, he's looked pretty mediocre in spot duty.

And yes, I still believe Penny has a higher ceiling. On the field, Carson hasn't shown anything outside of being an early down grinder. Yeah, it was cool seeing him hurdle the defender, showing off his agility, but do you honestly see him running away from the defense, getting to the second level and taking a long run to the house?

Again, WHEN HEALTHY, I view Carson as a good early down back. I think Penny has the ability to be much more than a good early down back.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
xray":2jd9vns4 said:
. I can't wait for new ownership .

This statement alone should be grounds for being banned. Insensitive and disrespectful above and beyond what should be accepted.

You didn't have my respect before you made this comment and now you are the gum on the sole of my shoe. Totally pathetic.

RCATES

Reaction score
RB's that have the "it" factor that this front office put forward by drafting this kid in the 1st round don't wait to shine in year two or three. Their abilities pop you right in the face the moment they step on the field. Penny looks sluggish and has no real burst. At this point taking him in the 1st round doesn't look good at all when this team had so many other positions of need. But then again this front office has be stinking it up for a few years now in the draft.