Rashaad Penny

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Thepeelsessions":p8jqdous said:
The Penny hate here has gotten real. For everyone saying "I don't hate Penny, I hate the pick", don't kid yourselves. The majority of you have been singing that song since the middle of TC. You're Penny haters. You all know who you are. Just admit it.

This makes no sense to me.

I don't hate Penny, and I totally understood the pick. At THE TIME of the draft Carson was coming off a major injury, and no other back on the roster stepped up and took over the role of a dependable RB.

So I got the pick, and I supported the pick. But if we're re-evaluating the pick at this very moment in time? Then it wasn't a good pick, because if you're going to select a RB in the first round, he better be your bell cow 1,000 yard primary back.........because that's the only way the 1st round pick is justified.

So sorry, I can not hate Penny and at this moment in his career hate the pick. Because as of NOW it's a wasted first round pick with needs all over the roster.

mikeak

Reaction score
Thepeelsessions":lvsu331p said:
The Penny hate here has gotten real. For everyone saying "I don't hate Penny, I hate the pick", don't kid yourselves. The majority of you have been singing that song since the middle of TC. You're Penny haters. You all know who you are. Just admit it.

Here's my take. Carson is good. There's no denying that. But he's definitely not elite. He's a tough, between the tackles grinder. He doesn't have the speed to turn on the jets and outrun quicker defenders. His biggest strength is his strength. But it's probably his biggest weakness. Both times he's carried the ball 23+ times, he's gotten hurt which has caused him to miss time. I'm not sold on Carson as being a workhorse over the long haul.

I remember after Davis had his career game in Arizona, a few on here were actually saying he should start over Carson. I'm sorry, but absolutely not. There should be no reason why Mike Davis and his 3.5 career YPC should even be playing in front of Penny. He doesn't have a future here. Davis has been in the league long enough. We all know what he is.

It's been mentioned a few times over the last couple days, but again, Melvin Gordon was DISGUSTING his rookie year. 3.5 average on 184 carries. No touchdowns (rushing or receiving). He couldn't break tackles. He showed no vision or patience behind the LOS. That was the guy who was a top 12 (?) pick who SD fans had written off.

Penny will be just fine. It's a shame so many on this board are writing him off this early.

1) I can't speak for anyone but myself but I have never "hated" player on the Seahawks team. I may hate what they bring to the table but the moment they can prove me wrong then I am happy for the team. I want them to succeed, I want to be wrong, I want every single person on this team to be a superstar. To claim that we are saying anything else is narrowminded

2) Yes I hated this pick since the moment it was done. I saw the college highlights and I saw nothing that resembled running in the NFL. I saw a RB that was at full speed by the time he broke tackles and then people said "look how many tackles he broke" and I saw a RB that was hitting holes big enough to allow Eddie Lacy to get through them and we all know that won't work in the NFL...……… so yeah I hated the pick but hoped to be proven wrong. Haven't seen anything yet that will prove me wrong

3) I agree that Carson's inability to run the ball 25+ times and then play the next week is a MAJOR concern. I hope this is more of a fluke and doesn't show up again

4) Davis has shown more on the true runs this year than Penny. Penny's numbers are inflated by the coming out of backfield and catching it behind the LOS yards. If you separate out pure runs from the I back position his yards would decrease significantly

5) While I hope you are right you have absolutely zero evidence or game tape from the NFL that shows that Penny will be fine. Yes it worked out for Gordon, yes it has worked out for others, but it has also NOT worked out for other guys that you don't even know the name off...…...so we are all hoping it works out, but we have seen nothing to prove that it will

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1ojpl67o said:
Thepeelsessions":1ojpl67o said:

This makes no sense to me.

I don't hate Penny, and I totally understood the pick. At THE TIME of the draft Carson was coming off a major injury, and no other back on the roster stepped up and took over the role of a dependable RB.

So I got the pick, and I supported the pick. But if we're re-evaluating the pick at this very moment in time? Then it wasn't a good pick, because if you're going to select a RB in the first round, he better be your bell cow 1,000 yard primary back.........because that's the only way the 1st round pick is justified.

So sorry, I can not hate Penny and at this moment in his career hate the pick. Because as of NOW it's a wasted first round pick with needs all over the roster.

I'd agree with that if a) the draft was any kind of guarantee at all as to future performance and b) we were talking drafting him at #10 rather than #30.

Late first rounders aren't much better than second rounders as far as skills and likelihood of success. Shouldn't be mystical about round numbers as there is a huge difference between a top 5 pick and a bottom 5 pick in that round.

I'm disappointed he hasn't become the next Alexander in this offense but I'm not going to judge the pick based on a so-so first year. I'll give him another year for sure before riding the FO.

And what needs are there all over the roster? We seem pretty set in most places. What we need is a bit more seasoning for the young guys. And maybe some more depth in general.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Carson is injury prone and I think its more serious than we are being told. Time to get Penny rollin!

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":16b7n2pb said:
Penny is here.

We can be upset about it or we can figure out how to get the most value from him that we can, while we develop him to be a valuable piece of this team.

But he isn't someone keeping a roster spot we have to trade or make decisions on.

And it is not unheard of for a player to produce after a year of getting their footing. Yes, RBs tend to produce faster. But it probably wouldn't hurt to support him since crapping on him isn't going to make him better either.

This isn't some guy getting paid millions in a FA that is not panning out. This is a 1st rd pick (which we tend to blow anyway) that isn't getting burn and isn't producing when he gets it. It makes sense to be frustrated with that.

Calling him a bust at this point is nonsensical though.

Uh... You DO know Penny is getting paid $2.5 million per year, right? He's not only a waste of a 1st round pick, he's pretty highly paid for a RB, too. He's higher paid than Melvin Gordon.

Seymour

Reaction score
QuickLightning":37dmclhj said:
TwistedHusky":37dmclhj said:
Penny is here.

We can be upset about it or we can figure out how to get the most value from him that we can, while we develop him to be a valuable piece of this team.

But he isn't someone keeping a roster spot we have to trade or make decisions on.

And it is not unheard of for a player to produce after a year of getting their footing. Yes, RBs tend to produce faster. But it probably wouldn't hurt to support him since crapping on him isn't going to make him better either.

This isn't some guy getting paid millions in a FA that is not panning out. This is a 1st rd pick (which we tend to blow anyway) that isn't getting burn and isn't producing when he gets it. It makes sense to be frustrated with that.

Calling him a bust at this point is nonsensical though.

Uh... You DO know Penny is getting paid $2.5 million per year, right? He's not only a waste of a 1st round pick, he's pretty highly paid for a RB, too. He's higher paid than Melvin Gordon.

This is true. He is making $1 million+ more than Fluker who we just signed. Has Fluker and Sweezy made any difference this year? That said, I still think we give him into year 2 before we do anything drastic. For now, it does sting a bit.

sdog1981

Reaction score
QuickLightning":jbiuv5sj said:

Google: NFL Rookie Wage Scale.

After you do that go back and delete your post so people will think you have a shred of credibility left.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
sdog1981":227mp00j said:
QuickLightning":227mp00j said:

Google: NFL Rookie Wage Scale.

After you do that go back and delete your post so people will think you have a shred of credibility left.

$9.397 mil fully guaranteed; $2.691 mil avg annual
https://overthecap.com/player/rashaad-penny/6912/

$10.9 mil total contract value, $6 mil in signing bonus
https://www.google.com/amp/amp.thenewst ... 11919.html

cheese22

Reaction score
It's safe to say that most teams that pick a RB in the 1st rd have a dire need there. Seattle didn't which made the pick more confusing than just considering who it was. To me it looks like he's over thinking instead of cutting loose. He's too talented to not contribute.
And all those small school commenters should remember another guy who came from that same school. Marshall Faulk had a pretty good career.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
cheese22":3buovxk2 said:
It's safe to say that most teams that pick a RB in the 1st rd have a dire need there. Seattle didn't which made the pick more confusing than just considering who it was. To me it looks like he's over thinking instead of cutting loose. He's too talented to not contribute.
And all those small school commenters should remember another guy who came from that same school. Marshall Faulk had a pretty good career.

I disagree with your opinion. I believe there was a need. Carson was coming off an injury, Prosise is never healthy and Davis, while steady, is not a featured type of back. McKissic is not a RB. The running back position was questionable at best.

Penny graded out well at the combine. He was one of the top performers at his position. It was a good pick and I believe it still is. He's young and learning the ropes. He hasn't gotten consistent reps. He's getting 4 here, 1 there, 5 there, and so on.

Here's Pete's quote - “He needs to just be more involved,” Carroll said on Wednesday. “I think he just needs to keep getting attempts and get out there and play. Just get accustomed to everything that’s going on around him. Big volume player (in college), lot of plays, lot of carries when he played. He’s getting spot play so it’s difficult to go and just make that commitment at this time because we have other guys that have been really effective as well. We’re just bringing him along and hoping that we can acclimate him and see him at his best. He’s got a lot to offer us that we know of and so it’s just going to be a matter of time.” (link to the full article - https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...ffer-seahawks-just-needs-to-be-more-involved/).

HoldYourHawk

Reaction score
Maybe my eyes are lieing to me but Penny looks overweight and slow. Will be interesting to see this offseason if he is asked to shed some pounds for some speed.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
hawkfan68":qp7r2ajp said:
cheese22":qp7r2ajp said:

I disagree with your opinion. I believe there was a need. Carson was coming off an injury, Prosise is never healthy and Davis, while steady, is not a featured type of back. McKissic is not a RB. The running back position was questionable at best.

Penny graded out well at the combine. He was one of the top performers at his position. It was a good pick and I believe it still is. He's young and learning the ropes. He hasn't gotten consistent reps. He's getting 4 here, 1 there, 5 there, and so on.

Here's Pete's quote - “He needs to just be more involved,” Carroll said on Wednesday. “I think he just needs to keep getting attempts and get out there and play. Just get accustomed to everything that’s going on around him. Big volume player (in college), lot of plays, lot of carries when he played. He’s getting spot play so it’s difficult to go and just make that commitment at this time because we have other guys that have been really effective as well. We’re just bringing him along and hoping that we can acclimate him and see him at his best. He’s got a lot to offer us that we know of and so it’s just going to be a matter of time.” (link to the full article - https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...ffer-seahawks-just-needs-to-be-more-involved/).

If we really needed a RB as an insurance policy for Carson then we sure as hell didn’t need to reach for a 2nd to 3rd graded guy in the 1st round. It was a very deep draft for RBs and there were options for backs in the 3rd round and down. It sure would’ve been nice to have an improved DL but instead we get to read everyone’s slew of excuses every week for the league’s slowest and worst KR.

People won’t admit it but it sure appears many are enthralled with draft status as opposed to objectively evaluating the talent on the team. If Mike Davis we’re averaging only 3.5 a carry and only 17.5 per kick return, people would be bashing him left and right. People apparently love “potential” and the unknown.

Now Penny has shown to be effective on toss sweeps and catching passes in the flare-he has shown thus far he could contribute as a 3rd down back perhaps. But for those arguing he just hasn’t been given a chance, don’t forget he was given the most carries the 1st 2 games-the opportunity to be the man and he struggled poorly. He has to earn carries here on out, not be handed the torch like many of you want.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Penny is not overpaid. Like everybody else he is being paid based on an expectation of future production. He is the 29th highest paid RB in the league with a 2018 cap hit of $1.9m and those are fair for his potential. If players were free agents directly out of college Penny would have gotten a larger paycheck.

The Hawks overall are just 24th in the NFL at RB spending with $4.6m total spent for Penny, Carson, Prosise, and Davis combined. For a run first team they are definitely not overpaying their RB group.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":9s4hwbr0 said:
hawkfan68":9s4hwbr0 said:
cheese22":9s4hwbr0 said:

If we really needed a RB as an insurance policy for Carson then we sure as hell didn’t need to reach for a 2nd to 3rd graded guy in the 1st round. It was a very deep draft for RBs and there were options for backs in the 3rd round and down. It sure would’ve been nice to have an improved DL but instead we get to read everyone’s slew of excuses every week for the league’s slowest and worst KR.

People won’t admit it but it sure appears many are enthralled with draft status as opposed to objectively evaluating the talent on the team. If Mike Davis we’re averaging only 3.5 a carry and only 17.5 per kick return, people would be bashing him left and right. People apparently love “potential” and the unknown.

Now Penny has shown to be effective on toss sweeps and catching passes in the flare-he has shown thus far he could contribute as a 3rd down back perhaps. But for those arguing he just hasn’t been given a chance, don’t forget he was given the most carries the 1st 2 games-the opportunity to be the man and he struggled poorly. He has to earn carries here on out, not be handed the torch like many of you want.

Frank Clark, Dion Jordan, and Mingo (tweeter de/lb) are all first rounders. Jarran Reed is 2nd rd pick. They have plenty of DL guys who were in top of the draft. They also burned a top pick on McDowell the year prior. They have spent plenty of draft capital on the defensive side. The offense was a weakness last season, running being the weakest of it. Therefore the logic of the Penny pick. He’s a rookie and still has a big upside.

cheese22

Reaction score
I agree RB was a need, but i said dire need. I don't think you spend your 1st on a position that just needs depth. 2 or 3 positions on the OL, DL, CB and S were bigger needs imo. Too many people think that a 1st rd pick have to contribute immediately or they are a bust. Fortunately, the FO is a little more patient. If Penny would have started from day 1, I think we would see a different runner at this point in the season.

Trrrroy

Reaction score
This whole bust labeling after less than a year needs to stop.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
hawkfan68":3vhns3z7 said:
West TX Hawk":3vhns3z7 said:
hawkfan68":3vhns3z7 said:
cheese22":3vhns3z7 said:

Frank Clark, Dion Jordan, and Mingo (tweeter de/lb) are all first rounders. Jarran Reed is 2nd rd pick. They have plenty of DL guys who were in top of the draft. They also burned a top pick on McDowell the year prior. They have spent plenty of draft capital on the defensive side. The offense was a weakness last season, running being the weakest of it. Therefore the logic of the Penny pick. He’s a rookie and still has a big upside.

With losing Avril and Bennett, our lack of pass rush and ability to stop the run was a major concern entering the draft, the season and the present. Regarding Jordan-how is it we needed insurance for Carson but would rely on Jordan for health? And Clark was actually a 2nd rounder (63rd pick) not that it matters though because as we saw with our great ‘13 DL, you can never have enough quality pass rushers and DL in general. I understand your argument we needed/need a dynamic offensive playmaker-a real difference maker but impact guys like Gurley are so rare that you’re better off going the early rounds with defense-the hallmark of Pete.

Regardless, Penny hasn’t earned anything here so far and Mike Davis has fairly beaten him out on the depth chart. That is reality and if Pete really thought Penny was better, he’d have him out there every game. If you’re good enough as a rookie on offense, Pete will play you as he did with Carson last year, Rawls in ‘15, Wilson in ‘12, Baldwin in ‘11 etc.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
cheese22":3oejq5rx said:
I don't think you spend your 1st on a position that just needs depth.

You do when your offensive scheme is as reliant on the run as Pete Carroll's is.

mrblitz

Reaction score
penny looks to be shifty, yet unsure, and not yet used to the speed of the nfl game. there's a sort of, as yet untapped, 'slipperiness' about him though that is just waiting to bust out. it's tough to know how fast he'll turn out to be, because he's wrestling with the mental aspect of nfl speeds.but it looks like he'll be able to be a regular back, with 4-5 ypc for at least a couple or three seasons. it's a good thing to have him on the roster. he could end up being a hall of famer... that's probably no more outlandish than declaring him already a bust.

Latest posts