Rashaad Penny

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
There are far far more examples of players that came in, sucked off the bat and then were out of the league. To cherry pick the exceptions doesn’t make Penny likely to be one.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Jeremy517":1vzfowlx said:
MontanaHawk05":1vzfowlx said:
Lynch did.

Carson did, before he was injured.

The RB matters. It's not all about the offensive line and the few remaining people who insist we keep blowing first-round picks on nothing but OL need to examine the stats more carefully. QB/RB play are both heavily influential on the running game. It's not just "OL can make anyone better".

I don't think you even looked at the context of the post that I made. His point was that the pick was justified because he said that RB was the biggest position of need, but you bring up that we had a good running back already on the roster? That would make his point even more wrong. You think Carson is a good RB. Guess what? So do I. RB was nowhere near the biggest position of need.

Carson is a good running back...when he's healthy. He suffered a major injury in high school, one in college, and one in the NFL, as well as getting dinged up this season. Frankly, it made good sense to draft another RB.

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
JayhawkMike":34m7b8yy said:
There are far far more examples of players that came in, sucked off the bat and then were out of the league. To cherry pick the exceptions doesn’t make Penny likely to be one.

It also doesn’t stop him from being one of the all time greats. Go #20! I wanna see him break out this weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

doso

Reaction score
Sox-n-Hawks":27bgz34s said:
JayhawkMike":27bgz34s said:

It also doesn’t stop him from being one of the all time greats. Go #20! I wanna see him break out this weekend.

Agreed, I think if given the opportunity Penny could shine this weekend. Carson is great, Davis is good, but haven’t seen them get that long touchdown run like other RBs in the league. Penny could be that guy.

LudwigsDrummer

Reaction score
Seymour":69n1zk9o said:
ImTheScientist":69n1zk9o said:
quadsas":69n1zk9o said:
Hes nowhere near where Carson is right now. I honestly don't wanna see him in the game at all, even if he is a 1st rounder, Smack the bad tendencies out of him in practice, and when he's ready, then play him.

You can’t say that until he is given the same opportunity. We will find out soon enough.

Dude....He was given that chance the first 2 weeks!

17 carries 38 yards 2.2 YPC with longest run of 10 yards!!

Why do you ride certain RB's coat tails (Lacey and now Penny) when the are covered in cow dung?
The whole team blew chunks the 1st 2 games and to suggest that was his chance is a weak viewpoint.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
LudwigsDrummer":2pvea2vu said:
Seymour":2pvea2vu said:
ImTheScientist":2pvea2vu said:
quadsas":2pvea2vu said:
Hes nowhere near where Carson is right now. I honestly don't wanna see him in the game at all, even if he is a 1st rounder, Smack the bad tendencies out of him in practice, and when he's ready, then play him.

You can’t say that until he is given the same opportunity. We will find out soon enough.

Dude....He was given that chance the first 2 weeks!

17 carries 38 yards 2.2 YPC with longest run of 10 yards!!

Why do you ride certain RB's coat tails (Lacey and now Penny) when the are covered in cow dung?
The whole team blew chunks the 1st 2 games and to suggest that was his chance is a weak viewpoint.

Carson vs Denver 7 carries 51 yards 7.3 avg, 3 catches 28 yards
Carson vs. Chicago 6 carries 24 yards 4.0 avg
Yep, he sure "blew chunks" and Penny received the most carries those 2 games. And this is what Carson did his 1st 2 games as a rookie last year with a porous OL:
At GB: 6 carries 39 yards 6.5 avg, 1 catch 10 yards
vs SF 20 carries 93 yards 4.5 avg, 1 catch 7 yards

I also find it interesting some people are critical of Carson and Davis because they "haven't broken a long TD" (as if this was a requisite for success) but are conversely sure Penny is quite capable of this, based on his apparent trememdous accomplishments thus far. And for the record Carson had a 30 yard run as a rookie and Davis a 37 yarder this year. Penny has a long of 15 so definitely keep touting that argument.

But hey, Penny had great combine #s and was a 1st rounder so that's what important. And let us not dare judge him until the end of his contract... Hey, I hope the kid does contribute. As I said earlier he looks good on quick pitches and catching passes in the flare, but why no one is rooting for our likely starter today Davis to "break out" is odd. As if Davis at just 25 can't continue to improve as well?

jammerhawk

Reaction score
He will get more touches today against the Rams and may begin to show something.

With RBs sometimes even if talented they take time to get their new roles.

justafan

Reaction score
JayhawkMike":201behu0 said:

You are right. When a team picks it represents hope not a guaranteed starter. Statistically most will fail, even at pick 27 or whatever. The truth is the smartest people in the league dont know what Penny will do. We can guess then come back and say i told you so, but thats all it is a guess or you can be hopeful. I would rather be hopeful.

BleuEyedHawk

Reaction score
Sox-n-Hawks":eig1uj40 said:
JayhawkMike":eig1uj40 said:

This.

Many individuals are slow starters but finish up strong. On the other hand, there are those who gallop out of the gate but reach a plateau and are then passed up.

Put me in the camp hoping to see Penny in breakout mode today. (Or at least feeling more comfortable).

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
Interesting that posters in this thread are completely ignoring the FACT that Penny was injured for the vast majority of the preseason. Maybe that is a reason for his "slow start" in his very first NFL season?

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
CamanoIslandJQ":o73ids0a said:
Interesting that posters in this thread are completely ignoring the FACT that Penny was injured for the vast majority of the preseason. Maybe that is a reason for his "slow start" in his very first NFL season?

valid point

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
I know many here consider Marshawn Lynch the greatest Seahawk RB of all time, and I would tend to somewhat agree with that consideration, however:

(1) Lynch's first season in Seattle was in 2010, after he had 4 seasons in Buffalo where he accumulated two 1000+ seasons in his first two years, averaging 4.0 & 4.1-YPC in those seasons, much less so in his 2-nd two years in Buffalo before being traded to the Seahawks.

(2) Lynch's first season as a Seahawk, Lynch had a stat line of:
165 carries for 573 yds., 3.47-YPC, 6-TD's, 3-fumbles and 21 receptions for 138-yds.

(3) Talk at the time was that Lynch was dancing way too much and once he was convinced to hit the hole fast without the dancing (hesitation) his second season as a Seahawk he went off for 285/1204-yds and 4.22-YPC, he followed that up with three 1000+ yard seasons before he started to decline after the 2014 season, largely due to injuries.

REF: http://www.nfl.com/player/marshawnlynch ... areerstats

My point being...…The Seahawks need to allow Rashaad Penny the chance to do something similar because...…..…

Apples to Apples, Lynch struggled in his first Seahawk season even though he was in his 4-th NFL year and having two 1000-yd. seasons to his credit, shouldn't Penny be allowed the same opportunity? Penny is in his first ever NFL season, missed most of the preseason with his hand injury, all while moving to an unfamiliar City, learning the play book, learning how to be a better blocker and he's in a RB rotation with more experienced RB's. SDSC to the NFL is a big jump, but not an impossible jump, once the learning curve is minimized and Penny gets acclimated to the Sunday grind. All good things will come in time. I see a RB that is learning every day and eventually he'll put it all together, then watch out.

:smilingalien:

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Penny looking pretty non-bust like right now. 56 yds on 2 touches and a TD.

Let’s hope it’s a sign of things to come.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
BleuEyedHawk":3tlau9dg said:
ImTheScientist":3tlau9dg said:
BleuEyedHawk":3tlau9dg said:
Just going to say to all the Penny haters, take a seat!

They will all be wearing his jersey next year.

I hear you

Problem was he was doing to well so Pete had to pull him. I somehow knew he would see the field until the 3rd. Wouldn’t want him to get into a rhythm.

bighawk

Reaction score
Penny is a big play waiting to happen you guys will see soon. I love Carson but he is too injury prone. Penny can take to the house just needs to establish the right playing weight.